Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

ChetReckless posted:

I read the story about the Sansaire kickstarter on Serious Eats this morning and immediately wanted to get one and cook all the eggs. Man.

Just bought one. ffffffff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

I just got my temp controller in the mail. What should I sous vide first?

Beef short ribs.

edit: thanks for the kickstarter link. Just ordered another SVmachine because why not?

Hed fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 8, 2013

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Hed posted:

edit: thanks for the kickstarter link. Just ordered another SVmachine because why not?

Just did the same thing for the same reason.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'll probably grab one of those Vizzlers but I'm mad I can't get $20 off.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
I assume this would be the preferred forum for this question over ask/tell. Are farm eggs worth the cost over regular, store-bought eggs? Obviously I realize the chickens are treated FAR better, so on a humane level the answer would be yes. But what I mean is is there any really obvious difference in taste between the two that'd make the much higher cost of buying eggs from a farm worth it?

For reference eggs around here cost me about a dollar a dozen. The farmer's market sells them for $3.50 a dozen.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Liar posted:

I assume this would be the preferred forum for this question over ask/tell. Are farm eggs worth the cost over regular, store-bought eggs? Obviously I realize the chickens are treated FAR better, so on a humane level the answer would be yes. But what I mean is is there any really obvious difference in taste between the two that'd make the much higher cost of buying eggs from a farm worth it?

For reference eggs around here cost me about a dollar a dozen. The farmer's market sells them for $3.50 a dozen.
It really depends. Hens that are allowed to forage for themselves (and so are eating bugs and worms and random poo poo like that) produce eggs that have a different flavour than hens that are fed feed. I don't know that I'd say the flavour is better, but it's certainly different.

And unless the farm discloses details about their animal handling practices there's no way to tell what they're actually doing---terms like `cage free' and `free range' are more about marketing than anything else. And I'm not even going to get into what constitutes or does not constitute humane handling of chickens.

That all said, hippy dippy farm eggs tend (at least in my experience) to have shorter time to market than battery farmed eggs. Which means that, on average, they'll be fresher. Like I said, that's just been my experience---don't have any hard data on the subject.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Liar posted:

I honestly don't notice a taste difference with the eggs I'm getting from my CSA. The different shapes and sizes are kind of interesting. That said, I would not be shocked if my CSA buys half their poo poo from a supermarket.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
In the least dickish way, I suggest that you splurge on that extra $2.50 one week and see if you prefer the farm eggs. Personally, I notice the difference.. good farm eggs for me have always been a deep orangey color and just seem.. richer? Creamier? I don't know if that's the farm or the freshness or just a placebo effect, but I do notice the difference (in eggs and bananas, but thats about all I notice).

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Hed posted:

I, too, bought that SV circulator. I've never done SV and it seems liek as good a place to start as any.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I'm trying to make overnight oatmeal. Most of the recipes I've seen call for low fat greek yogurt. Is there some way to make it less sour without adding a bunch of sugar? The first jar I made was like a shotgun to the tongue.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Turkeybone posted:

In the least dickish way, I suggest that you splurge on that extra $2.50 one week and see if you prefer the farm eggs. Personally, I notice the difference.. good farm eggs for me have always been a deep orangey color and just seem.. richer? Creamier? I don't know if that's the farm or the freshness or just a placebo effect, but I do notice the difference (in eggs and bananas, but thats about all I notice).

Yeah, this. Eggs vary in a lot of ways, but the only consistent quality difference I see is in freshness, most easily observed by the color of the yolk. I've found that the brown "local" eggs from my CostCo are are amazingly fresh, often surpassing the pricey ones at the supermarket... at a cost of about 3 bucks for 36 eggs! I suppose the volume that your market sells matters a lot? (CostCo doesn't sell anything that doesn't turn over quickly) If I need eggs and don't want to do a CostCo run, I usually buy the most expensive eggs available at the supermarket. It's only another buck or so.

You can't beat fresh from the farm, but you can come pretty close.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Eh, the color of the yolk has more to do with what the chickens eat than with freshness. If they're fed marigolds and whatnot, they'll have a more appealing yolk color, but not necessarily taste any better.

As far as freshness, the easiest way to tell if an egg is fresh is to look at the white. If it's fresh, it should be cloudy. It will also have more thick white than thin white.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Call Me Charlie posted:

I'm trying to make overnight oatmeal. Most of the recipes I've seen call for low fat greek yogurt. Is there some way to make it less sour without adding a bunch of sugar? The first jar I made was like a shotgun to the tongue.
Steel cut oats + boil for one minute in water the night before = bam overnight oatmeal. We have/had an oatmeal thread but I can't find it right now.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Call Me Charlie posted:

I soak raw quick or normal oats in about their same volume of almond/whatever milk over night instead of using a blend of Greek yogurt and milk. Add a bit (or a ton) of maple syrup or honey before you mix it up and you should be good to go. You can make a pretty big batch and just keep it in the fridge for 2-3 days. Depending on the thickness of the milk you use, adjust the amount of liquid you use but its really close to a 1:1 ratio.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
Balsamic. Please recommend me a good balsamic, lest my homegrown heirlooms and basil have to languish and not be made into repeated caprese salads. The horrors of a naked tomato! :j:

Seriously though, I have a bottle of this that I got as a gift a couple years back from my brother that is sadly drawing to a close. As much as I love this bottle, right now I cannot justify spending $100+ on another. Truly, it is nectar of the gods.

Please tell me about balsamics in the <$40 range that are still pretty good.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

AlistairCookie posted:

Balsamic. Please recommend me a good balsamic, lest my homegrown heirlooms and basil have to languish and not be made into repeated caprese salads. The horrors of a naked tomato! :j:

Seriously though, I have a bottle of this that I got as a gift a couple years back from my brother that is sadly drawing to a close. As much as I love this bottle, right now I cannot justify spending $100+ on another. Truly, it is nectar of the gods.

Please tell me about balsamics in the <$40 range that are still pretty good.
If you want reasonably-priced and widely available genuine balsamic I'd suggest one of the less expensive varieties of Cavalli. It's not holy poo poo I'm doing handsprings good, but it's a good solid inexpensive balsamic.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

AlistairCookie posted:

After trying a sample of this, I realized if I bought a bottle of it I'd only drink it by itself and that putting it on anything else would feel like a waste.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

AlistairCookie posted:

The horrors of a naked tomato!

Tomatoes are best served raw with a little bit of salt and nothing else. My favourite thing about making sandwiches is the leftover slices of tomato at the end, which I sprinkle a bit of salt on and guzzle. It's the sandwich-maker's treat and no-one else gets to have it.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
So, I'm trying to make cheesesteaks.

Nothing I do is comparable to the good cheesesteak joints I've had in the past. When I get shaved ribeye, it's always a little thicker than I need it to be, and I can never find a good cheese sauce that I prefer. I like the orangey "whiz" type cheese-sauces on cheesesteak, but can never find one in a jar that I like or can't make one. I figured a simple roux -> cream -> cheddar would do the fix, but it came out creamier and not as good as I hoped. I guess the best analogue to what I want out of a cheese sauce is like what you would get on a bacon-cheese potato at Wendy's - the kinda orangey/not creamy sauce.

Any tips from anyone making cheesesteaks? Also, best way to season the meat? I've been using salt-pepper-worcestshire.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Crossposting from the Stupid/Small Questions megathread in A/T.

Does anybody here have any experience using Orgreenic cookware? Because I have several of the Orgreenic pans, and I like them (they're a huge step up from the Walmart brand stuff I was using earlier), but I'm wondering what other peoples' opinions of them are.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Capsaicin posted:

I guess the best analogue to what I want out of a cheese sauce is like what you would get on a bacon-cheese potato at Wendy's - the kinda orangey/not creamy sauce.

Have you tried velveeta?

As far as meat goes, I just use salt.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Capsaicin posted:

Nothing I do is comparable to the good cheesesteak joints I've had in the past. When I get shaved ribeye, it's always a little thicker than I need it to be, and I can never find a good cheese sauce that I prefer. I like the orangey "whiz" type cheese-sauces on cheesesteak, but can never find one in a jar that I like or can't make one. I figured a simple roux -> cream -> cheddar would do the fix, but it came out creamier and not as good as I hoped. I guess the best analogue to what I want out of a cheese sauce is like what you would get on a bacon-cheese potato at Wendy's - the kinda orangey/not creamy sauce.

Any tips from anyone making cheesesteaks? Also, best way to season the meat? I've been using salt-pepper-worcestshire.
If you want to make a really cheesy sauce without overloading it with cream, get some sodium citrate. You can just use it, water, and the cheese and you'll end up with a super smooth, creamy consistency like `whiz', but with the flavour of whatever cheese you're using.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
How much do you use? About a tablespoon per quart of cheese?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I use 3% by weight of the cheese.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Looking for ideas for plain old short grain calrose rice in the rice cooker. poo poo I can add to spice it up? I've tried chicken stock/bouillon, butter, sauteeing the rice with onion and garlic, saffron, tumeric.

Anything I should try?

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Ron Jeremy posted:

Looking for ideas for plain old short grain calrose rice in the rice cooker. poo poo I can add to spice it up? I've tried chicken stock/bouillon, butter, sauteeing the rice with onion and garlic, saffron, tumeric.

Anything I should try?

Eating fish? Try boiling the rice with some kombu and katsuobushi, then finish off with some basic furikake seasoning mix.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

How much do you use? About a tablespoon per quart of cheese?
My general do-it-in-my-head ratio for a straight cheese sauce is 1 cup of cheese, 1/2 tsp sodium citrate, 1/4 cup water. FGR's method is more exact. But as a practical matter I measure the sodium citrate and the water, heat it, and then just keep adding microplaned cheese until it hits the consistency I want. It's pretty loving forgiving, and my personal experience is that you want to go over the textbook-recommended cheese to sodium citrate ratio if you're going to be adding other poo poo to the sauce (like if I'm throwing in salsa or sriracha or whatever)---it won't break like a `conventional' sauce will, but it'll end up getting these weird laminations (or something like that) in it---so everything's still holding together as a sauce but you end up with bits with different consistencies swirled together instead of a single homogeneous consistency.

For something that's gotten traction because of the whole molecular gastronomy/modernist craze, it's really not that fiddly and rewards just kinda loving around with it.

The Gobbledygooker
Apr 5, 2007
I bought a few lamb shanks after enjoying them at restaurants, anyway what is a good way to cook and season these? I've enjoyed middle eastern lamb shanks previously.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Ron Jeremy posted:

Anything I should try?

Make plain rice, stir egg and soy sauce together on the side, pour the egg in and stir it all up.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Crossposting from the Stupid/Small Questions megathread in A/T.

Does anybody here have any experience using Orgreenic cookware? Because I have several of the Orgreenic pans, and I like them (they're a huge step up from the Walmart brand stuff I was using earlier), but I'm wondering what other peoples' opinions of them are.

El Penis, the fact that the first thing I saw was the "As seen on TV" link made the think you should buy an Edge of Glory to go with it. Seriously, just go to the web site: https://www.orgreenic.com/.

In all seriousness, if you like them then great. That's really all that matters. I just don't like that ceramic isn't that great a conductor compared to any metal, and that it's also very brittle. With my luck I would probably try to clean a pan that had just been on the stove and it would shatter and 1000 ceramic shards would impale my face. This also means you'll probably not want to use it on high heat.

So, basically it has the utility of a teflon-coated pan but includes safety concerns of exploding when cooled. A teflon-coated pan can be had for like :10bux:.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hed posted:

El Penis, the fact that the first thing I saw was the "As seen on TV" link made the think you should buy an Edge of Glory to go with it. Seriously, just go to the web site: https://www.orgreenic.com/.

In all seriousness, if you like them then great. That's really all that matters. I just don't like that ceramic isn't that great a conductor compared to any metal, and that it's also very brittle. With my luck I would probably try to clean a pan that had just been on the stove and it would shatter and 1000 ceramic shards would impale my face. This also means you'll probably not want to use it on high heat.

So, basically it has the utility of a teflon-coated pan but includes safety concerns of exploding when cooled. A teflon-coated pan can be had for like :10bux:.

I don't really do super heavy cooking with them, but they've been pretty easy for me to clean and the nonstick surface seems to work pretty well.

The Walmart pans I used before WERE teflon-coated, though, and there does seem to be a difference there performance-wise.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

tarepanda posted:

Make plain rice, stir egg and soy sauce together on the side, pour the egg in and stir it all up.

This is my goto breakfast. Microwave leftover rice, top with over easy eggs + soy sauce. I don't know why hot egg yolk + soy sauce is so loving good!

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Ron Jeremy posted:

This is my goto breakfast. Microwave leftover rice, top with over easy eggs + soy sauce. I don't know why hot egg yolk + soy sauce is so loving good!

Umami explosion!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I could listen to SubG talk about food all day.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I just got back from the market and found out that I got mixed up and bought the wrong kind of flour (has low gluten content) for what I wanted to make. I've heard that you can extract gluten from one batch of dough by washing off the starch, and then you can add that to the next batch to bolster the gluten content. Is that actually possible and how?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

pandaK posted:

I just got back from the market and found out that I got mixed up and bought the wrong kind of flour (has low gluten content) for what I wanted to make. I've heard that you can extract gluten from one batch of dough by washing off the starch, and then you can add that to the next batch to bolster the gluten content. Is that actually possible and how?

Yep, here's a demonstration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDEcvSc2UKA

Haven't tried it for myself so I don't know how well it integrates into the next batch, but that's what you're here for, guinea pig!

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp
The moment that Sansaire gets international voltage I'm all over it. I want to v-v-v-viddle without getting a big machine but I also don't want to mess about with voltage converters.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
They're funding a stretch right now for 240V versions with anticipated delivery at the same time as the :911: ones.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

The Walmart pans I used before WERE teflon-coated, though, and there does seem to be a difference there performance-wise.

That's because the Walmart pans were total crap. Avoid cheap non-stick coatings.

Capsaicin posted:

I lived in Philly for 5 years, and worked at a pizza/cheesesteak joint, so I speak with some authority on this. Guess what part of a cheesesteak people gently caress up the most? It's not the meat, that's easy: shave some ribeye and cook with a little salt. The thing people gently caress up the most is the ROLL. You need the right kind of bread for a proper cheesesteak, the Hoagie Roll. Here is what they look like:

http://www.amorosobaking.com/

The "right" kind of cheese to use is a matter of contentious debate, so I won't go there. Use whatever you want.

Oh, and the melted cheese goes on THE BOTTOM, lining the roll. This is because you pick it up off the grill by putting the roll down on top of the pile of cheese and meat, sliding your spatula under it, and flipping it over into your hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

This website is charmingly terrible.