Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Corla Plankun posted:

What for? I have found it is easiest to pick up on statistics with a good applied stats course/book. When I took Econometrics basically nothing sank in because it was all statistical theory, but when I took Applied Multivariate Statistics (applied to meteorological data, mostly) it was much easier to remember everything. The book for that class was Statistical Methods in the Atmospheric Sciences and it covers a TON of ground, although it is missing the latest and greatest in computational statistics. For that you'll probably want to check out some of the open MIT courses or a MOOC if that's your style.

Mostly the type of statistics used in the biomedical industry. Research based statistics mostly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tovarisch Rafa
Nov 4, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Booties posted:

Mostly the type of statistics used in the biomedical industry. Research based statistics mostly.

Fortunately, research stats are mostly things like t-tests, f-tests, q-tests, error propagation and probably a few other things I can't think of right now.

An analytical chemistry book could be what you're looking for.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

CatchrNdRy posted:

We could design and fabricate large, impressive pieces of hardware for a series of technical scenarios. Utlizing multi-disciplines, millions of dollars and acres of land. It would be quite an impressive feat.

In fairness, most of those projects are already built now. We've moved on to making things smaller and lighter. The wilds have been tamed and now I want an iPhone.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Tovarisch Rafa posted:

Fortunately, research stats are mostly things like t-tests, f-tests, q-tests, error propagation and probably a few other things I can't think of right now.

An analytical chemistry book could be what you're looking for.

I'll look into it, thanks.

RogueLemming
Sep 11, 2006

Spinning or Deformed?

CatchrNdRy posted:

From what the old timers have told me, software makes all our lives easier but has reduced the "prestigiousness" of engineering from olden times.

We could design and fabricate large, impressive pieces of hardware for a series of technical scenarios. Utlizing multi-disciplines, millions of dollars and acres of land. It would be quite an impressive feat.

Or we could just hire some unkempt, pony tail and balding programmer, possibly without a degree, to write a simulation with Nth sigma accuracy. Modify his code for future use as necessary.

I don't think that's quite right. You truly have to have an understanding of something to effectively put it into code. Personally, I use coding as a tool for self teaching because it forces you to sort things out and see how they fit together.

The problem is when the next guy comes along and blindly plugs things into the program without knowing a thing about how it was made.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
It would be awesome to have a very good programmer to help out on projects in our group. I don't think anyone I work with underestimates the value of good code.

Unfortunately extra head count is so rare that there would be no way to justify using it on somebody who wouldn't be able to help out really in the lab. :smith:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

How much of a disadvantage would I be putting myself at if I went for a study year abroad instead of a year in industry? I'm aware that experience is a good thing, but the allure of going abroad for a year is very hard for me to resist. I've been to a few university open days over the past few months and some have mentioned that it's a good idea to get industry experience, and others have said that it doesn't really matter to be honest.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
I've always been told that you're a very undesirable hire without having done at least one significant internship.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Do an internship over study abroad. It is the number one thing we look at when hiring someone out of school. Has someone else taught them about the real world and did you learn something. They give you a good reference and away you go.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Internships are important but you could always work one later. It might delay the chance of a "real job" by like a semester but if I could trade my internship experience for a study abroad I would do it in a second, unless it was in Australia or something.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004
I'm currently an Electronic Warfare Officer in the Air Force flying on a Jamming Platform. I know a decent amount of how radars/radios work and why some are used in certain ways, and I have a very good understanding of modern communications networks. My BA was in economics (with an awful GPA) but I've had a lot of leadership experience with my jobs before the AF, and during the AF, and I have a TS/SCI. I'm currently working on an MBA and slowly working on a second bachelors in EE, my question is, is the EE really going to be worth it if I want to get a job with a Defense contractor like Boeing/Northrop/Raytheon? I've had some of my military buddies currently working at those companies tell me not to bother with the second bachelors and just get my MBA and get through linear algebra and I'd get a job easy, but then I've also had civ. friends tell me that if I don't have an ABET degree I'm screwed. My theory is, the EE combined with what will be ~6 years of hands on experience by the time I get out will help me get a good paying job pretty easily, but it's a pretty drat significant time/money investment right now and I'm finding that I simply don't have enough time to finish both degrees before I get out. If you had to pick one, would you go with the MBA+math and bank on the clearance and hands on experience, or would you get the EE and hope to get paid Engineer 2/3 pay with just 2 bachelors?

For clarification, I'm not looking to be a designer, I'd prefer something more project management.

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 9, 2013

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Sounds like you'd do better to go ahead with the MBA and bank on the TS/SCI since it seems like that's what you're more interested in.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

KetTarma posted:

Sounds like you'd do better to go ahead with the MBA and bank on the TS/SCI since it seems like that's what you're more interested in.

I'm just afraid that I wont be someone engineering companies would be interested in hiring.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Frankston posted:

How much of a disadvantage would I be putting myself at if I went for a study year abroad instead of a year in industry? I'm aware that experience is a good thing, but the allure of going abroad for a year is very hard for me to resist. I've been to a few university open days over the past few months and some have mentioned that it's a good idea to get industry experience, and others have said that it doesn't really matter to be honest.

Personally, I'd go abroad just for the life experience , you will see and meet people and have awesome stories forever. Before I started full-time, I did a summer of volunteering abroad (I told work to move my start date 3 months later). And I don't regret missing one day of work.

You may be working in an engineering office for a good 30 years, but rarely will you have a chance to live abroad as a carefree young person again. Where would you be?

Your first job is connections or luck of the draw anyway unless you are a truly stand-out individual or in a critical subfield. Its not like you'll never work again if you don't choose the internship.
However, from a purely career standpoint, its better to do the internship. Especially if you want to work where you intern. That is a true foot in the door.

So think of this as one of the first life decisions where adult responsibilities are played against youthful dreams.

JacksLibido posted:

I'm currently an Electronic Warfare Officer in the Air Force flying on a Jamming Platform. I know a decent amount of how radars/radios work and why some are used in certain ways, and I have a very good understanding of modern communications networks. My BA was in economics (with an awful GPA) but I've had a lot of leadership experience with my jobs before the AF, and during the AF, and I have a TS/SCI. I'm currently working on an MBA and slowly working on a second bachelors in EE, my question is, is the EE really going to be worth it if I want to get a job with a Defense contractor like Boeing/Northrop/Raytheon? I've had some of my military buddies currently working at those companies tell me not to bother with the second bachelors and just get my MBA and get through linear algebra and I'd get a job easy, but then I've also had civ. friends tell me that if I don't have an ABET degree I'm screwed. My theory is, the EE combined with what will be ~6 years of hands on experience by the time I get out will help me get a good paying job pretty easily, but it's a pretty drat significant time/money investment right now and I'm finding that I simply don't have enough time to finish both degrees before I get out. If you had to pick one, would you go with the MBA+math and bank on the clearance and hands on experience, or would you get the EE and hope to get paid Engineer 2/3 pay with just 2 bachelors?

For clarification, I'm not looking to be a designer, I'd prefer something more project management.

Do you want an engineering title or a business title? Project manager is very a vague position, often its just another hat worn by both sides. In said industry, EEs are in short supply right now. Business people are a dime a dozen. The pay scale for an EE will be higher, unless you somehow get a management type position right away. Even if you have a engineering experience from the AF, from an HR perspective I'm afraid you may get pigeonholed into finance/estimating type stuff. which is fine if that is what you are after.

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 9, 2013

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

JacksLibido posted:

Don't get another bachelors in EE just to do project management.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

CatchrNdRy posted:

Personally, I'd go abroad just for the life experience , you will see and meet people and have awesome stories forever. Before I started full-time, I did a summer of volunteering abroad (I told work to move my start date 3 months later). And I don't regret missing one day of work.

You may be working in an engineering office for a good 30 years, but rarely will you have a chance to live abroad as a carefree young person again. Where would you be?

Your first job is connections or luck of the draw anyway unless you are a truly stand-out individual or in a critical subfield. Its not like you'll never work again if you don't choose the internship.
However, from a purely career standpoint, its better to do the internship. Especially if you want to work where you intern. That is a true foot in the door.

So think of this as one of the first life decisions where adult responsibilities are played against youthful dreams.

I agree with this pretty wholeheartedly. The life experience will probably be with you longer than the step up an internship would get you.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

CatchrNdRy posted:

I agree with this. Having interesting and out-of-the-ordinary experiences on your resume can help you stand out if you can find a way to relate it to your skills and knowledge during a job interview. I took a break from working to spend four months on the Appalachian Trail, and now I get recruiters emailing me with invites for interviews for engineering positions just because they want to hear more about the AT.

Just make the best of your time abroad. Don't piss it all away partying (though some partying is always advised).

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I was considering an either or situation. I would rather have the internship if I was looking for a job out of college. I had 2 and they opened every door for me to this day.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Frankston posted:

Go abroad for a year. gently caress your career, you have your whole life to worry about that, the chance of a year studying abroad is an experience that you likely won't get again. The semester I spent studying abroad was one of the best decisions I've made in my life.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Speaking of studying abroad, would studying abroad at an engineering school with research opportunities available be a good way of knocking two birds out with one stone, so to speak? I've been weighing the same as a transfer student for my second year post-transfer, since I'm a bit older than the average student, but it sounds like both an interesting experience and a good way to do undergrad research at the same time.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

Shipon posted:

Speaking of studying abroad, would studying abroad at an engineering school with research opportunities available be a good way of knocking two birds out with one stone, so to speak? I've been weighing the same as a transfer student for my second year post-transfer, since I'm a bit older than the average student, but it sounds like both an interesting experience and a good way to do undergrad research at the same time.

Yes, absolutely. That sounds like a really good idea.

RogueLemming
Sep 11, 2006

Spinning or Deformed?

Frankston posted:

I think it would be interesting to see how people respond compared to their years out of school. I have a hunch that anyone who has recently graduated is going to tell you to take the internship, because the nightmare that is the current job market is still fresh in their minds and is different than what people experienced 7+ years ago. Conversely, those who have been working a while (and have decent experience/job security) will probably tell you career isn't everything.

One thing I think will factor into it is how flexible you're going to be when you look for a job. If you're willing to move far away and aren't looking for anything specific, then going overseas won't hurt you as much. I know some absolutely lovely people/students who got jobs no one else would take in Bumfuck, Nebraska. But if you want to be in a particular location or field, you probably want the internship to be more competitive.

Personally, I would say focus on your career while you're in school and travel when you have money later in life.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

"Technique of engineering planning and management using the critical path
method (CPM) and program evaluation and review techniques (PERT). Both
computer and noncomputer approaches are used. Relationships between own-
ers, A-Es, and contractors are covered with emphasis on proper professional
conduct by the engineer."

Textbook posted:

Young engineers must also develop nontechnical or "soft-side" competencies like communication, marketing, ethics, business accounting, and law and management in order to fully realize their potential in the workplace.

Does this sound like a cake class? It's a 400 level engineering management class. Thinking of adding it on top of the 15 hours I'm already taking. They dont offer it often and I can replace Thermo or Optics with it for my cross-discipline elective. I don't have any hard EE classes this semester so I was thinking of taking this time to knock out some easy classes.

KetTarma fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 9, 2013

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

KetTarma posted:

Does this sound like a cake class? It's a 400 level engineering management class. Thinking of adding it on top of the 15 hours I'm already taking. They dont offer it often and I can replace Thermo or Optics with it for my cross-discipline elective. I don't have any hard EE classes this semester so I was thinking of taking this time to knock out some easy classes.
Sounds rather light on math, if that's what you mean. Whether it's cake or not depends entirely on the prof.

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!

KetTarma posted:

The bigger the company you go to work for, the more relevant these skills become. I'd say take it.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

The material in courses like that is typically only challenging to nerds and sperglords. If you're a normal person who understands why conflicts of interest and lying can be problematic, then the only difficulty the course might provide is the inconvenience of its timeslot. That said, I took an elective in optics from the physics department back when I was a student, and it was wicked dope.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Yeah I took a class like that and while I don't think it was difficult, it also didn't seem particularly useful.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

JacksLibido posted:

Don't bother with the EE bachelors, you're pretty much set for a management position. You have implied management experienced from being commissioned, you have very domain specific knowledge, and a clearance. I'd almost expect that you have a network of people that have gotten out / made the same jump you did that would make finding a position pretty easy as well. IMHO you have a free pass to management, you should take it.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

KetTarma posted:

It sounds like a hideous business class with horrible business "mathematical" "modeling". I had to take a class like that for my EE degree and it was boring and useless and terrible. If I had the option of taking Thermo or Optics instead I would have chosen one of them without hesitation (probably optics). Nobody has ever given a poo poo about the undergrad operations management class I had to take, and it has provided me with literally nothing outside of meeting a requirement on my degree.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Honestly, I can't see any of those classes being terribly useful. Then again, that's why they're called cross-discipline electives. I really wish I could take the computer science option (database design) but they require taking a year of Java first.

Assuming my department head doesn't poo poo on me for signing up for that without his permission (prereq in course catalog says "Requires Department Head Permission or completion of all freshman/sophomore/junior classes") then I'm going to go ahead with another 18 hour semester. Woooooo :smith:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

KetTarma posted:

Honestly, I can't see any of those classes being terribly useful. Then again, that's why they're called cross-discipline electives. I really wish I could take the computer science option (database design) but they require taking a year of Java first.

Assuming my department head doesn't poo poo on me for signing up for that without his permission (prereq in course catalog says "Requires Department Head Permission or completion of all freshman/sophomore/junior classes") then I'm going to go ahead with another 18 hour semester. Woooooo :smith:
Business/management skills are very important skills to have as engineer- regardless of whether you think it's going to be easy or not, it's worth learning. Whether it's more worthwhile to spend your elective credits doing business poo poo or playing with lasers in the lab is up to you.

I did optical engineering lab as an undergrad- loving awesome class. And a bunch of semiconductor classes and failure of materials and fluid mechanics, and that's not even touching on the gen-eds. And I do actually use bits and pieces of most of the technical electives as a working engineer... whether I could have picked up pipe head loss just as well from googling is another question entirely. But now I'm working on a masters of engineering management which is a lot like what the class you asked about will cover, and a lot of the concepts are pretty important, even to just working-level non-managerial engineers.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Grover, what changed to make you want to pursue a Master's degree? I may be mistaken but I think you were one of the most common advocates against getting a Master's degree to people who would ask in here.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Hed posted:

Grover, what changed to make you want to pursue a Master's degree? I may be mistaken but I think you were one of the most common advocates against getting a Master's degree to people who would ask in here.
I still feel technical engineering masters have little real-world value. If you're going to get a masters as an engineer, you're better off with an MBA. What I'm working on is more of a condensed MBA, which is useful to move up into the busininess/management side.

What changed my mind was when my work offered to pay for it.

grover fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 10, 2013

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

grover posted:

Business/management skills are very important skills to have as engineer

People always say this, but they never mention that they are also trivially easy and intuitive concepts to an engineer.

If you can do basic word problems, you can do operations management. If you can apply diffeq or signals & systems to real world situations you are better off than any business major I have ever come across, even if you've never taken a business course in your life.

neibbo
Jul 18, 2003

Yes, mein Fuhrer... I mean.. Mr. President

grover posted:

I still feel technical engineering masters have little real-world value. If you're going to get a masters as an engineer, you're better off with an MBA. What I'm working on is more of a condensed MBA, which is useful to move up into the busininess/management side.

Technical masters may be useful if you're looking to get into more advanced IRAD work or become some sort of research engineer. The business skills that one would learn in a MBA program are probably of more immediate and practical use to most engineers. Chances are that within 5 years of starting any engineering career you will benefit from having some degree of familiarity with project management, budgeting, contracts, etc.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I didn't mean to flare up the debate again. We're all painting in generalities when we post and everything he's saying makes sense. I was just shocked to see him going for a master's but the eng. management on the employer's dime makes a lot of sense for him.

ov
Jul 28, 2004
SEE THAT WET SPOT ON MY PANTS? WATCH ME MAKE UP A STORY ABOUT SPILLING A CASSEROLE
Does anyone here have any experience with working abroad as an engineer? I graduated one year ago with a master's in chemical engineering and I only have like 7-8 months of experience working at the university. I am thinking that most employers won't consider newly-graduated foreigners since they would rather give the opportunity to their own native engineers.

So, how should I go about looking for a job abroad? Is it hopeless? I know I am better off getting some experience back home before applying but I would still like to know how to maximize my chances.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone here work with medical devices? I am currently working as a Registered Nurse I want to move away from direct patient care and explore another area of medicine. I'm not sure if I want to go into the engineering aspect of it, or the consulting / educating part. I know, its two completely different worlds. I studied EE for two years but life events forced me to drop it at that time. I'm contemplating restarting and finishing my EE degree, or maybe look into biomedical engineering. Any experience or thoughts in this field?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

Anyone here work with medical devices? I am currently working as a Registered Nurse I want to move away from direct patient care and explore another area of medicine. I'm not sure if I want to go into the engineering aspect of it, or the consulting / educating part. I know, its two completely different worlds. I studied EE for two years but life events forced me to drop it at that time. I'm contemplating restarting and finishing my EE degree, or maybe look into biomedical engineering. Any experience or thoughts in this field?

Don't do biomedical engineering as an undergrad. If you want get into the engineering part of it, finish EE and focus on signals and/or digital electronics. The signals focus will open the door for you to work on algorithms and other methods of analyzing collected medical data, the microelectronics part will help if you want to design the hardware itself. I would say MEMS, but that is more of a graduate EE topic (at least to get more than a brief survey). I moonlighted for a while consulting and doing software development for some portable insulin monitoring hardware, it certainly wasn't demanding in the least.

On the other hand, if you're a reasonably friendly and affable person, you may be able to network into the consulting / educating part of it, though in my experience the consulting is easier to break into if you're a MD/DO (not a knock against nurses). I could see a company hiring a RN with expertise in their product + some engineering background in a training role, assuming you can get your foot in the door.

movax fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Corla Plankun posted:

People always say this, but they never mention that they are also trivially easy and intuitive concepts to an engineer.

If you can do basic word problems, you can do operations management. If you can apply diffeq or signals & systems to real world situations you are better off than any business major I have ever come across, even if you've never taken a business course in your life.

I agree that business skills are easy (you can always make a manager out of an engineer, the other way around is impossible), but it really helps if you saw some of that stuff beforehand.

Take change management: quality of solution = quality of technical solution * acceptance rate.

You have no idea how much time and money is wasted on the most beautiful solutions that will never see the light of day, because some guys didn't do a stakeholder analysis up front.