Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Peristalsis posted:

Okay, that makes more sense, but honestly, it sounds like you have to work a lot harder to keep track of poo poo in your mind and online than I do by having a check register. I certainly don't have to check my bank balance every morning, because I know it hasn't changed since the last time I changed it.

I had a little over 130 transactions in my bank account last month and if I had to write all that down in a checkbook I would loving hang myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Am I the only one who uses Quicken to manage finances? It can download data from most banks, track poo poo, generate reoports, set savings goals, etc. also links directly into income tax prep software for itemized deductions.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

razz posted:

If I write a check, the check gets scanned at the bank and I can click on that line in my bank account and physically see a scanned copy of the check. So I could see the check with $1557 written on it, and on the line next to it I would see a debit amount for $1575. Thus, I would still have caught the mistake. I ALWAYS look at the check scans. Not sure why but I just always do. I don't write checks that often anyway.

So here's a recent example. I wrote my mom a check. Here is how I see it on my online account (this is just one line, there's one line per transaction just like there would be if you write it in your checkbook). The blue link is what I can click on to see the check. The red is the debit amount. The last number in the line is my remaining balance.

And if I click on that blue link, it shows me the actual scanned check, like so:

Well, that's pretty equivalent to going over a statement each month, you're just doing it online. But it seems like it would take just as long to keep clicking on lines of a screen and validating the amount vs. what's written on the check as it does to compare numbers from a statement to a register.

Thanatosian posted:

Here's the thing: I've been keeping track of my own finances since I was 18, so about 13 years. In that entire time, I've had exactly one late payment on a credit card, and since they wouldn't reverse the fee, I just cancelled the credit card, cancelled my account with my bank, and switched to a credit union.

That's, like, $50 in exchange for hours upon hours of time spent writing out check registers, meticulously balancing everything, making sure it all comes out right. And yeah, sure, in that time, there might have been an $18 mistake somewhere or something; whatever. I don't really give a poo poo about $18 over 13 years. It's just not worth my time; I've got better things to do than track every piece of my finances to within the penny.

Christ, how long does it take you to enter a number in a column? This isn't done in calligraphy by monks ritually reciting each numeral as they write it, it's jotting a number in a box, and periodically doing some arithmetic to make sure you still have a positive balance. I don't spend "hours upon hours of time" on my registers, either, but I know my balances without having to check the internet every time I want to buy something.

systran posted:

This doesn't make your priorities objectively "the right way to do things."

I dunno man, I'm not wrong very often.

FCKGW posted:

I had a little over 130 transactions in my bank account last month and if I had to write all that down in a checkbook I would loving hang myself.

But how will you know if you have enough money to afford the rope? You do realize that one of my transactions every couple of weeks is "withdraw $80 in spending money", right? I don't write a separate check for every soda in a six-pack.

If people have electronic means of keeping good control of their finances, great. But this discussion was started by someone wanting advice on how to avoid spending more money than was in his account, which elicited elaborate responses that DIDN'T include "keep track of your balance, stupid". Arithmetic errors can occur, things can happen in the wrong order during a tight month, whatever - poo poo happens. But nobody should look at a balance and have to wonder if they really have that much money, or if there's an outstanding check or payment that didn't post that's going to cause an overdraft fee. If you don't know where you stand with an account, then your genius system isn't working, so just write poo poo down and be done with it, instead of trying to come up with some clever scheme for doing everything electronically.

Peristalsis fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 7, 2013

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Peristalsis posted:

But how will you know if you have enough money to afford the rope? You do realize that one of my transactions every couple of weeks is "withdraw $80 in spending money", right? I don't write a separate check for every soda in a six-pack.

If people have electronic means of keeping good control of their finances, great. But this discussion was started by someone wanting advice on how to avoid spending more money than was in his account, which elicited elaborate responses that DIDN'T include "keep track of your balance, stupid". Arithmetic errors can occur, things can happen in the wrong order during a tight month, whatever - poo poo happens. But nobody should look at a balance and have to wonder if they really have that much money, or if there's an outstanding check or payment that didn't post that's going to cause an overdraft fee. If you don't know where you stand with an account, then your genius system isn't working, so just write poo poo down and be done with it, instead of trying to come up with some clever scheme for doing everything electronically.
I think pretty much everyone said "start keeping track of every purchase." He already has the means at his disposal to do it, he just needs to start using it.

And yeah, being able to not look too closely at your bank statement is a privilege primarily afforded to people who aren't living paycheck-to-paycheck; you need a decent buffer zone to pull it off.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

randyest posted:

Am I the only one who uses Quicken to manage finances? It can download data from most banks, track poo poo, generate reoports, set savings goals, etc. also links directly into income tax prep software for itemized deductions.

IBank is also good (for Mac OS users). I like some things about it better than Quicken, actually, but others less well; in any event, Quicken for Mac has been terrible for years, so I would recommend iBank for Mac OS users (here's someone much smarter and better at computers than I am explaining why). Importing the Quicken files is a bit tricky, but there are various posts you can find online about how to make it work.

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 8, 2013

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

More bankchat: Why do some ATM's make a beeping noise when you enter your PIN, amount depositing, etc., while some do not? I imagine that they beep so old people know when they've hit a button, but if I'm withdrawing a couple hundred in cash I'm paranoid that someone is going to be paying attention to the amount of beeps and ballpark that I'm taking out 3 figures of money.

Budget Bears
Feb 7, 2011

I had never seen anyone make sweet love to a banjo like this before.
I'm trying to think of a video that I found here on the forums a few months ago. It's just a woman saying "thank you" and "thank you so much" super obnoxiously/insincerely in various situations. And at the very end she's sobbing saying "I don't know what thank you means" or something like that. I think a goon might have actually made it?

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

AlbieQuirky posted:

IBank is also good (for Mac OS users). I like some things about it better than Quicken, actually, but others less well; in any event, Quicken for Mac has been terrible for years, so I would recommend iBank for Mac OS users (here's someone much smarter and better at computers than I am explaining why). Importing the Quicken files is a bit tricky, but there are various posts you can find online about how to make it work.

Wave Accounting is a good, free cloud/web based service that does all of this and has quite a nice interface too. Does all the bank data polling stuff you need and auto-categorizes many expenses for you.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
My wife's doing a marketing tour for work (in a VW camper van) in a couple of weeks. One of the venues has told her the weight limit for the venue is 5kn/m2. I've worked out that the van is roughly 2000kg with a full payload and I think a van like this is about 9m2. I'm pretty sure this is way less than 5kn/m2, am I right to think so?

DaveP
Apr 25, 2011

Poldarn posted:

More bankchat: Why do some ATM's make a beeping noise when you enter your PIN, amount depositing, etc., while some do not? I imagine that they beep so old people know when they've hit a button, but if I'm withdrawing a couple hundred in cash I'm paranoid that someone is going to be paying attention to the amount of beeps and ballpark that I'm taking out 3 figures of money.

Good feedback for knowing that your hit the button, also combined with the raised dot on the 5 and clustered dots on the side buttons means vision impaired people can use it.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

stickyfngrdboy posted:

My wife's doing a marketing tour for work (in a VW camper van) in a couple of weeks. One of the venues has told her the weight limit for the venue is 5kn/m2. I've worked out that the van is roughly 2000kg with a full payload and I think a van like this is about 9m2. I'm pretty sure this is way less than 5kn/m2, am I right to think so?

2000kg*10m/s^2= 20kN. 20kN/5m^2=4kN/m^2.

So yeah, you're good by a long shot. It's even slightly less than that because I rounded up the acceleration due to gravity for simplicity.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Lawnie posted:

2000kg*10m/s^2= 20kN. 20kN/5m^2=4kN/m^2.

So yeah, you're good by a long shot. It's even slightly less than that because I rounded up the acceleration due to gravity for simplicity.

Brilliant, you're a star. Much appreciated.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Brilliant, you're a star. Much appreciated.

The better question is why the hell the requirements are in force per square meter. It makes so much more sense to do mass per square meter (kg/m^2) than this way :psyduck:

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Lawnie posted:

The better question is why the hell the requirements are in force per square meter. It makes so much more sense to do mass per square meter (kg/m^2) than this way :psyduck:

This, but additionally the weight isn't distributed over the entire footprint of the van only the contact patch of the tyres which could affect your compliance with this strange requirement.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Where is she going that they would give weight (sorry, force) limits in such an odd way? I hope it's a physics convention, otherwise I'm guessing there's going to be lots of vehicles stuck in the mud/quicksand/volcano.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Lawnie posted:

My best guess is that the requirements are based on building materials, which may not assume strictly gravitational forces. It's still lazy of them not to do the conversion.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

VodeAndreas posted:

This, but additionally the weight isn't distributed over the entire footprint of the van only the contact patch of the tyres which could affect your compliance with this strange requirement.

Provided the thing is resting still on a monolithic slab of something it doesn't really make much of a difference. Whatever it's sitting on is probably going to be fine.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Where is she going that they would give weight (sorry, force) limits in such an odd way? I hope it's a physics convention, otherwise I'm guessing there's going to be lots of vehicles stuck in the mud/quicksand/volcano.

weight and force are basically the same thing. Mass is totally distinct. Yes, the inconsistency is dumb.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
The venue in question is a shopping centre somewhere in London. The VW will be driving in and parking somewhere in the centre (I thought it was going to be in the car park, so I thought the request for load limits was ridiculous to say the least). I just asked Mrs Sticky to forward the email, and it mentions 'live load' rather than 'weight limit', which might make more sense, I dunno.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I've been walking around in 100+ degree weather and got some salt sweat stains on my shorts. Best way to remove it without taking it to the dry cleaners? I really like these shorts so I don't want to just throw em in the washer and dryer. Preferably just hand wash the stained area.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Busy Bee posted:

I've been walking around in 100+ degree weather and got some salt sweat stains on my shorts. Best way to remove it without taking it to the dry cleaners? I really like these shorts so I don't want to just throw em in the washer and dryer. Preferably just hand wash the stained area.

What material are the shorts? Cotton?

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
Yesterday my local utilities company connected what looked like new power lines from one utility pole to another, going across a street (there weren't any lines connecting them previously). Then today they came back and took them down. Did they fix a mistake they made yesterday, or is this some sort of standard procedure?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Big City Drinkin posted:

Yesterday my local utilities company connected what looked like new power lines from one utility pole to another, going across a street (there weren't any lines connecting them previously). Then today they came back and took them down. Did they fix a mistake they made yesterday, or is this some sort of standard procedure?
I would guess that they were bypassing something in order to work on it without having to interrupt power...?

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I actually reordered checks last week (I only ever use them for rent) and laughed when I saw the registrar, I haven't used that thing in over a decade. Use your checking account for direct deposit, paying rent, and paying off your credit card (which you should charge all your monthly expenses to and pay off each month to build credit). Debit card optional for pulling cash in an ATM if you're heading to a strip club or a town with a population under 500 people.

I thought dinosaurs were extinct but nope they're just chilling in this thread.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Does anybody here have any experience using Orgreenic cookware? Because I have several of the Orgreenic pans, and I like them (they're a huge step up from the Walmart brand stuff I was using earlier), but I'm wondering what other peoples' opinions of them are.

EDIT: The General Cooking thread linked in the OP has been closed for like 3 years, so if there's another thread where I should ask this, please let me know.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 8, 2013

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I'm going to be finishing a vacation soon and will need to organize the pictures. We have three cameras between us and two of them had the time set incorrectly. One by one hour and one by many years. Is there a good program that would let me add a set amount of time to the metadata in a set of pictures? I'd like to have all the date taken info be correct through all the cameras for the sake of sorting. Additionally, I'd also like to rename each photo to a YYYYMMDD-HHMISS.jpg format if possible using the fixed metadata.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Why do so many banks, churches, etc. have "first" at the beginning of their name? First National Bank, First Presbyterian Church, things like that.

I always joke, "wow, the first bank in the whole country?" but I really want to know what the deal with this is.

Poldarn posted:

I'm similarly paranoid, so on the rare occasion I'm taking on hundreds, I enter the first digit, wait a few seconds, and then the next four. That way, it sounds like I was pressing another menu button, and then some amount of cash in the tens.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Here in the Boston area, the "First Church" {Denomination} mean they were the first church of that denomination to be established in that city or town. The First Baptist Church of Cambridge was the first Baptist church to be founded in Cambridge, while the First Baptist Church of Boston was the first Baptist church to be founded in Boston.

Same thing with banks, which led to weird bank names like Fifth Third Bank; the third bank to be founded in Cincinnati bought up the fifth bank to be founded in Cincinnati.

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 8, 2013

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Does anybody here have any experience using Orgreenic cookware? Because I have several of the Orgreenic pans, and I like them (they're a huge step up from the Walmart brand stuff I was using earlier), but I'm wondering what other peoples' opinions of them are.

EDIT: The General Cooking thread linked in the OP has been closed for like 3 years, so if there's another thread where I should ask this, please let me know.

Current general cooking thread is over here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437762

I can't speak to orgreenic personally as I've never used them, but they seemed kind of gimmicky from the ads.

For my money, if I'm cooking with non-stick, I want something that has a little weight to it. I recently replaced my old worn out non-stick with some very cheap and lightweight Kitchenaid pans. The non-stick is fantastic, but I feel like I'm using kids pans. Also, as a personal preference, I prefer a bottom with a little texture, as these are completely smooth and are always sliding around on my burners. I can deal with these, but I've learned my lesson, and I'll probably spring for something better in a few years.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

What material are the shorts? Cotton?

60% cotton / 40% polyester

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

Current general cooking thread is over here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437762

I can't speak to orgreenic personally as I've never used them, but they seemed kind of gimmicky from the ads.

For my money, if I'm cooking with non-stick, I want something that has a little weight to it. I recently replaced my old worn out non-stick with some very cheap and lightweight Kitchenaid pans. The non-stick is fantastic, but I feel like I'm using kids pans. Also, as a personal preference, I prefer a bottom with a little texture, as these are completely smooth and are always sliding around on my burners. I can deal with these, but I've learned my lesson, and I'll probably spring for something better in a few years.

I'm a big fan of my calphalon stuff. It's pretty hefty and does most things well. Biggest plus is its free replacement for life on them.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Thanks, I'll try asking there! :)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is credit rating affected significantly, if at all, for closing checking/savings accounts and opening at a different bank? I want to change from Citibank to Wells Fargo, 'cos the latter has an office right by my apartment, and the former keeps loving with me on which ATMs are fee-free and which aren't.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 9, 2013

miryei
Oct 11, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Is credit rating affected significantly, if at all, for closing checking/savings accounts and opening at a different bank? I want to change from Citibank to Wells Fargo, 'cos the latter has an office right by my apartment, and the former keeps loving with me on which ATMs are fee-free and which aren't.

Are you just moving your checkings/savings accounts, or are you moving any lines of credit as well?

If you're also moving a credit card, keep in mind that your credit rating takes into account how long your credit accounts have been open, so closing an old account can be bad. Your credit score also takes your utilization percentage into account (how much of your total available credit you're using) so if your total available credit goes down, that can have an effect as well.

If it's just bank accounts, it makes no difference.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Nah, just checking and savings. I have a credit card with Citi that I'm happy with, I'm just tired of them dicking me around on the ATM thing.

Thanks!

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

British people often imitate American accents by speaking like somebody from the American South. Is this because the 'standard' US accent actually sounds like that to them, or because southern sounds most American to them, or just for comic effect because they think it sounds silly? Or something else?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Sweep ya chimney guv??

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Mescal posted:

British people often imitate American accents by speaking like somebody from the American South. Is this because the 'standard' US accent actually sounds like that to them, or because southern sounds most American to them, or just for comic effect because they think it sounds silly? Or something else?

I wonder if it's because British and American south accents are both non-rhotic (ie both pronounce park as pahk), whereas most other American accents (aside from Boston) are rhotic.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I think it's because Southerners have a catchphrases, basically. Thinking of something to say to epitomise the accent you're doing is the hardest part. Texans (or what we think Texans are anyway) say "Howdy y'awlll" like Woody from Toy Story or Dolly Parton, that's the easiest "go to" phrase when thinking about "thing American would say". Same reason it's "pip pip, tally ho old bean" for British.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Hoops posted:

I think it's because Southerners have a catchphrases, basically. Thinking of something to say to epitomise the accent you're doing is the hardest part. Texans (or what we think Texans are anyway) say "Howdy y'awlll" like Woody from Toy Story or Dolly Parton, that's the easiest "go to" phrase when thinking about "thing American would say". Same reason it's "pip pip, tally ho old bean" for British.

Or Oh, I'm so sorry! for Canadians. :canada:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

What does "uguu~" mean, where does it come from, how is it supposed to be pronounced and why does it have a tilde on the end?

Busy Bee posted:

Why wouldn't you just put them in the washing machine? What's going to happen?

Mescal posted:

Southern US accents are really distinct and easy to spot, so even if you do it badly people can still tell what you were trying to do. Also they sound funny. So basically the same reason Americans trying to do an English accent go for cockney.