Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Played a round as Portugal, and it seemed pretty good. I really like the monarch power system.

I don't really feel like I 'get' trade yet, though. There are a lot of numbers and I'm sort of scratching my head about what exactly I should be doing with my merchants/ships. Also, no trade flows in to the Mediterranean, so if I were playing as a colonial Venice/Italy I could never steer New World trade back to my country, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Played as Portugal. By the end I was making mad stacks in trade (gently caress you spain, you can't bring your weak rear end fleet into my backyard, I'll kick your rear end! :argh:) and colonizing the new world. Really like how the game looks, sounds and feels. After a bit the UI makes perfect sense and the game lets you know if you need to dig deep into a menu to to something.

The new Colonization mechanics are fun, especially with natives how you can do it on your own terms. The power points system is fun too being able to quell revolts.

Might have to pre-order. :3:

edit: my understanding of trade is pretty much "you want to control nodes and you control nodes with merchants and ships" I'm sure it's deeper than that but I had fun anyway.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Fintilgin posted:

Played a round as Portugal, and it seemed pretty good. I really like the monarch power system.

I don't really feel like I 'get' trade yet, though. There are a lot of numbers and I'm sort of scratching my head about what exactly I should be doing with my merchants/ships. Also, no trade flows in to the Mediterranean, so if I were playing as a colonial Venice/Italy I could never steer New World trade back to my country, right?

As far as I can tell that's correct. New World trade's endpoint is Antwerpen.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

How moddable are the trade routes looking?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Ragg posted:

As far as I can tell that's correct. New World trade's endpoint is Antwerpen.

However, if you were to get a significant amount of power in the Seville trade node, you could steer it there. There's also a new world route that goes through the gold coast/Timbuktu and into Europe.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I just played a game as Austria and got my rear end handed to me.

I put down the rebellion that you start out with easy enough but then Savoy broke out of the HRE and so as the Emperor I obviously went to reclaim the lost land. Huge mistake. Switzerland joined in and between the two of them they utterly crushed my army. I outnumbered them 3:2 and I still ended up losing almost every battle. I really like the routed retreat mechanic too, it makes it so you can try again instead of having your army completely annihilated by a pursuing army.

The only issue was, after I got totally beaten I was unable to sue for peace. The only thing the AI wanted was for me to admit defeat, but that wasn't enough war score to get them to stop. Everything else added -1000 to the peace negotiations. How are you supposed to get a peace deal through if what they want is less than the warscore needed for a deal?

edit: I hope there's a good tutorial for trade as I had no clue what to do, even though I've been reading all the beta AARs I can. I sent my light ship fleet to protect a trade route and that was about it. Is that what light ships are supposed to do?

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

unwantedplatypus posted:

However, if you were to get a significant amount of power in the Seville trade node, you could steer it there. There's also a new world route that goes through the gold coast/Timbuktu and into Europe.

Yup. New World Trade flows to Seville, Bordeaux, London and the North Sea, so those are the first stops in Europe. After that it gets passed around but it all ends up in Antwerpen. You can also steer trade from Mexico to Japan.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
As for what to do with your ships and merchants, well, whatever gives you the most money really. You can either do the math or just shift things around and see what earns the most.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

What would be the easiest start on the demo? I wasn't that into CK2, because the family line stuff didn't interest me, but I enjoyed the rest of the game. Just never gave it more than 20 hours. I am planning on getting EU4, and have the demo DL'd and waiting until I get off of work in a few hours to play. What country would be the easiest start for someone who is completely fresh to the game?

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

axeil posted:

edit: I hope there's a good tutorial for trade as I had no clue what to do, even though I've been reading all the beta AARs I can. I sent my light ship fleet to protect a trade route and that was about it. Is that what light ships are supposed to do?
Here's how trade works basically. How much you get from a node depends on how much trade power (TP) you have. There's two main ways to increase trade power, own more provinces in the node and build light ships and have them patrol. Now there's two things you can do with TP. You can either use your merchant to collect and get money according to how much power you have. Usually you'll do this where you own a lot of provinces. Or you can use a merchant in a neighboring node to push trade towards the next node, which depends on how much TP you have. Usually you'll use your light ships to give power for pushing trade. If there's lots of competition in your home node, then you'll probably want to patrol there.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I'd say Portugal because they are kind of out of the way and give you an opportunity to try war, trading, and colonization. The Ottomans can also be good because they are big enough to not have to worry about being picked on.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

LordPants posted:

Played as Portugal. By the end I was making mad stacks in trade (gently caress you spain, you can't bring your weak rear end fleet into my backyard, I'll kick your rear end! :argh:) and colonizing the new world. Really like how the game looks, sounds and feels. After a bit the UI makes perfect sense and the game lets you know if you need to dig deep into a menu to to something.

The new Colonization mechanics are fun, especially with natives how you can do it on your own terms. The power points system is fun too being able to quell revolts.

Might have to pre-order. :3:

edit: my understanding of trade is pretty much "you want to control nodes and you control nodes with merchants and ships" I'm sure it's deeper than that but I had fun anyway.

To expand on this, I'm pretty sure the best way to control nodes is simply (well, in theory :v:) to hold territory within its reaches. Hit e and mouse over Constantinople (the province) and it says it provides 22%~ of the entire node power granted by territory. Click on a node and you can see an exact power breakdown between ships and territory, and territory is always higher.

I think if you're the Ottomans and can absorb Crimea, conquer Ragusa and make inroads into the Mamluks then you'll basically have an 80%+ monopoly on four incredibly valuable nodes, making you filthy loving rich. In my game I'm only controlling three of them and am making 21 gold every month, with army and fleet maintence at full, covering like 60 regiments. Sitting on 2k even after building almost all the buildings I could want to. And I've not even gotten my third merchant yet :stare:

The one thing I really wish you could do is reverse the direction of trade routes, if you have enough power at the node. Would open up the possibility to shift the balance of power by creating new centres of mass-trade outside of the usual suspects.

Allyn fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 9, 2013

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Allyn posted:

To expand on this, I'm pretty sure the best way to control nodes is simply (well, in theory :v:) to hold territory within its reaches. Hit e and mouse over Constantinople (the province) and it says it provides 22%~ of the entire node power granted by territory. Click on a node and you can see an exact power breakdown between ships and territory, and territory is always higher.

I think if you're the Ottomans and can absorb Crimea, conquer Ragusa and make inroads into the Mamluks then you'll basically have an 80%+ monopoly on four incredibly valuable nodes, making you filthy loving rich. In my game I'm only controlling three of them and am making 21 gold every month, with army and fleet maintence at full, covering like 60 regiments. Sitting on 2k even after building almost all the buildings I could want to. And I've not even gotten my third merchant yet :stare:

The one thing I really wish you could do is reverse the direction of trade routes, if you have enough power at the node. Would open up the possibility to shift the balance of power by creating new centres of mass-trade outside of the usual suspects.

I'm pretty sure you can steer routes "upstream". One of the Ottoman merchants starts like that in the Ragusa node, in fact. But I can't figure out what's the downside to it.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
One thing I don't get about trade in my current Ottoman game is that there are about 10 different minor countries with about 1% trade power each even though I own every province in the Constantinople trade zone and they have no light ships patrolling in the area. How do they have any power in the trade node? This is pretty problematic because they are all pushing trade away from Constantinople.

Edit: Im a dumb, they all have a merchant there providing a small amount of trade power.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.
Played about two years as Austria fumbling about pretending I knew what I was doing. Guess i'll have to relearn Europa all over again. :( But that will have to wait for a later date. It seems like a decent game, but knowing paradox and their hard-on for DLC's and expansions, waiting to get this one is probably a good idea.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

fspades posted:

I'm pretty sure you can steer routes "upstream". One of the Ottoman merchants starts like that in the Ragusa node, in fact. But I can't figure out what's the downside to it.

I don't think you can. If you look at a node, all the steering sections only appear on those outgoing routes, not the incoming ones. I don't know what's with the Ottoman merchant you talk about -- he doesn't really seem to... do much. He gives you by far the most overall trade power in Ragus, but he doesn't collect any money, and he can't steer the trade anywhere else because you can't reverse it. And as he's not sat there collecting from the node, he doesn't actually make you money. He basically just gets you power that you can't do anything with.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's really nice having the mechanics of sieges laid out for you to see. Venice starts with a general with +2 siege, so just put him in an army with 10 cannons and watch fortresses fall in a matter of weeks.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Allyn posted:

I don't think you can. If you look at a node, all the steering sections only appear on those outgoing routes, not the incoming ones. I don't know what's with the Ottoman merchant you talk about -- he doesn't really seem to... do much. He gives you by far the most overall trade power in Ragus, but he doesn't collect any money, and he can't steer the trade anywhere else because you can't reverse it. And as he's not sat there collecting from the node, he doesn't actually make you money. He basically just gets you power that you can't do anything with.

From what I gather, upstream merchants can send some of the trade power they are generating back downstream. So I think the merchant in Ragusa is just giving more trade power in Constantinople.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Played as the Ottomans, seems like they'll be fun. The Ottomans must have some good morale and leaders and such, because I was easily winning battles where I was quite outnumbered against the Mamluk/Aq Qonalu alliance. Then, in the second war against the Mamluks, they must have had no manpower left, because I just rolled over them and was wining so handily that I got a notice saying my people were adding war exhaustion because it was clear the war was won and I should just negotiate peace.

Ottomans are quite rich too, I was easily supporting a slightly over the limit army at max funding and had a 3 star, a 2 star, and a 1 star adviser. Was only losing like 1 ducat a month in that situation, and I had like 1200 saved up, so.....

Also, religious conversion was ludicrously, hilariously fast. 10-12 months for provinces in Greece and Balkans. WOOSH! SHAZAM! YOU'RE ALL MUSLIMS NOW! :stare:

Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009
one thing that does sorta annoy me about the demo is that noone actually starts with any NIs. It seems like everyone should be having 2 or 3 NIs in 1492, instead of starting with 0. Particularly notable with Portugal, since you can't colonize anything.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Beamed posted:

How moddable are the trade routes looking?

Trade nodes look completely moddable. The paths they take, names, locations, provinces and control. Not sure what the last one means though. Haven't really messed around with trade in game yet.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Zotix posted:

What would be the easiest start on the demo? I wasn't that into CK2, because the family line stuff didn't interest me, but I enjoyed the rest of the game. Just never gave it more than 20 hours. I am planning on getting EU4, and have the demo DL'd and waiting until I get off of work in a few hours to play. What country would be the easiest start for someone who is completely fresh to the game?

The Ottomans are pretty easy. You're crazy rich, so even if you got armies killed you could just hire more. But you won't, because although it looks like Aq Qoyunlu and the Mumluqs are your military equals, they totally aren't, and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's the sweet leaders you get, maybe it's being in your own tech group; either way you cut through them like butter. If you sprint up to military level 8, you'll trounce just about everyone. I lost a big battle to Muscovy only because I was overconfident attacking a larger stack with my 4 shock ruler. Then I get there and their general has 6 shock. I guess all that steppe warfare pays off.
:black101:

They actually seemed to be running a little coalition of states up there too in addition to their vast army; very promising.

Fintilgin posted:

Also, religious conversion was ludicrously, hilariously fast. 10-12 months for provinces in Greece and Balkans. WOOSH! SHAZAM! YOU'RE ALL MUSLIMS NOW! :stare:

Yeah, that was really dumb. Once I boosted to +3 stability, I was doing religious conversions in 20 months, which is utterly ridiculous. The Ottomans really need a mechanic where it pays off for them to not go all out converting Christians.

Love the monarch points though, those seem to be a wonderful idea.

Trujillo posted:

Trade nodes look completely moddable. The paths they take, names, locations, provinces and control. Not sure what the last one means though. Haven't really messed around with trade in game yet.

I think they've said before that the network is completely moddable. It doesn't change within the game, but you can change it to whatever you want.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Did I disable an option or does the Tutorial not have the battle recaps at the end (with casualties, survivors, prestige, war score etc.)? Haven't played a regular game yet so haven't see if it's there.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Holy gently caress why did I wait so long to play Vicky2/HoD. Doing a couple of games as Austria to teach myself the game and on my current playthrough I've created mega Germany consisting of Germany, Austria, Hungry, Romania and northern Italy. In 1891 or 92 a massive communist and jacobin rebellion broke out, which due to me not paying attention and taking out more jacobin stacks than commie ones, leads to a communist victory. A couple years and a crisis war later (which saw me forcing France to release communist Catalonia), France itself falls to a communist revolution. Its currently 1905, I'm raking in mad cash, and Italy, which unified without the Two Sicilies, is about to also become communist. I'm nearly done building a decent albeit not England stopping navy to help me spread the revolution to the rest of the continent.

However, Commie France still refuses to ally with me despite me killing a billion Jacobin rebels while they rebuilt their army and helped them reclaim Provence from Italy but I'm not bitter or anything France!:argh:

Vaos
Dec 30, 2008

Unleash the fiery Armageddon.

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, that was really dumb. Once I boosted to +3 stability, I was doing religious conversions in 20 months, which is utterly ridiculous. The Ottomans really need a mechanic where it pays off for them to not go all out converting Christians.

With their Unique National Idea that gives +33% Religious Unity, you can stop converting at some point as is it isn't that necessary when you reach 100%. No tax bonuses for other religions however.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Holy gently caress why did I wait so long to play Vicky2/HoD. Doing a couple of games as Austria to teach myself the game and on my current playthrough I've created mega Germany consisting of Germany, Austria, Hungry, Romania and northern Italy. In 1891 or 92 a massive communist and jacobin rebellion broke out, which due to me not paying attention and taking out more jacobin stacks than commie ones, leads to a communist victory. A couple years and a crisis war later (which saw me forcing France to release communist Catalonia), France itself falls to a communist revolution. Its currently 1905, I'm raking in mad cash, and Italy, which unified without the Two Sicilies, is about to also become communist. I'm nearly done building a decent albeit not England stopping navy to help me spread the revolution to the rest of the continent.

However, Commie France still refuses to ally with me despite me killing a billion Jacobin rebels while they rebuilt their army and helped them reclaim Provence from Italy but I'm not bitter or anything France!:argh:

Yeah, I delayed playing Victoria 2 because everyone just constantly said it was boring, but I finally tried it after HoD came out and it owns. I downloaded the EU4 demo the other day, but I've just been working on my Victoria 2 LP instead. Game owns.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Vaos posted:

With their Unique National Idea that gives +33% Religious Unity, you can stop converting at some point as is it isn't that necessary when you reach 100%. No tax bonuses for other religions however.

they also get an NI that gives them enough tolerance to heathans to push them to 0. Making it not really necessary to convert every province.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
wow, 300 posts, is the demo out?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Ghetto Prince posted:

wow, 300 posts, is the demo out?

ya

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
God damnit no matter how many times I restart Steam I can't download the demo. It just freezes up for a few moments and then acts like I never pressed the button in the first place.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Stuff like this gets me excited. How much experience did you have with other Paradox games that you can clean house in this one? Or is it just that Austria is super strong and hard to mess up?

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

JGBeagle posted:

God damnit no matter how many times I restart Steam I can't download the demo. It just freezes up for a few moments and then acts like I never pressed the button in the first place.

Have you tried doing it from your regular browser outside of steam? http://store.steampowered.com/app/236850/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Speaking of Austria, beating the everloving poo poo out of Venice for it's high base tax provinces and eventual trade route is fantastic. It's even better when you use your Diplomats to get everyone around them turned against them. Is this sort of idea (annexing for valuable provinces/trade nodes) viable? With EU games, I generally understood them but never really had a clear idea of what to actually do. I guess missions help but still.

SkySteak fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Aug 9, 2013

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
As Portugal, it took me five months to convert each province I took from Maya to Catholicism. That is some serious poo poo.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Quote =/= edit

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Vaos posted:

Yeah, I understand you wouldn't have to, but you have 3 Missionaries just doing nothing. I can't help but convert them so they won't be uppity if poo poo gets real, apparently even if it's a demo that only lasts 30 years. I think they need to find a way where there's some benefit from not converting them, or even if converting provinces was a big hassle. Which it probably should be really.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

PittTheElder posted:

There is a bit of a trade off, sort of. If you stay at low piety you get some bonuses (I think higher tax income might be one) at the cost of slower religious conversions and some other penalties.

On the whole I agree that it feels like religious and cultural conversions happen really loving fast. I'm glad you can see definite progress being made compared to straight up waiting for MTTH events to fire in EU3, but still.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

I wonder if they could prevent mass conversion with the Jizya. You make more money from the unconverted but you potentially sacrifice stability in times of war or hardship.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

synertia posted:

Stuff like this gets me excited. How much experience did you have with other Paradox games that you can clean house in this one? Or is it just that Austria is super strong and hard to mess up?

Austria is pretty strong but I've played the poo poo out of vicky1 which is a big leg up. Also allowing Austria to form Germany without having to drop Hungry is kinda broken but hilarious.

E: also IIRC while an existing communist state increases the chance for a communist rebellion, most rebellions in great powers fail unless said power has just finished having its teeth kicked in.

E2: to be honest other than the communist stuff that happened forming mega-Germany doesnt seem hard, just time consuming as you really have to put the beat down on Prussia to knock it out of the great powers. My original plan was to sphere the SGF while allowing Prussia to form the NGF and then being best German bros 4 lyfe and beating down on France and Russia but I wanted a province they needed to form the NGF so I ended up doingmega Germany instead.

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Aug 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(

Kersch posted:

Yeah, I delayed playing Victoria 2 because everyone just constantly said it was boring, but I finally tried it after HoD came out and it owns. I downloaded the EU4 demo the other day, but I've just been working on my Victoria 2 LP instead. Game owns.

Oh man, I've had my eye on HoD recently. What are the chances Paradox have a little sale soon for the EUIV launch? :) Guess I could try to trade CK2 for it though.

I only have about 13 hours in Vic 2 but i quite enjoy it and the aHoD additions look pretty neat.

• Locked thread