Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Von Sloneker posted:

So after so many republicans admitted to being blindsided by the Romney loss last election, due in large part to the insular and self-reinforcing world they've created, their solution for the next time around is to make it more insular and more self-reinforcing -- and for the comedy option, more likely to allow the extreme fringes to flourish.

Gohmert/a rock with googly eyes 2016.

Don't hate on the googly-eyed rock, that guy's a goddamn national hero!

:patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Zwabu posted:

Did Erickson make an election prediction?

By the way, did any conservative pundits/media types actually predict an Obama win? I was thinking maybe Ross Douthat @ NYT did or someone like that.

More hashtags are needed!
Brooks sorta did (don't remember exactly but he said he thought Obama had advantage if it were TODAY but Romney had "momentum"... and then the last few days he didn't talk about it anymore). Douthat was somewhere between level-headed and "reasonable folks can disagree <about statistical Hitler>" http://campaignstops.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/30/douthat-the-polling-bias-debate/ . But yeah the fact that in the ~ hundred conservative pundits I probably read there were 2 not-totally-wrong people basically means they were pathetic (I'm sure a few thought Obama would win in private but tough to give them any credit for this).

edit:VVV oh hey don't know how I missed that, thanks

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 8, 2013

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Zwabu posted:

Did Erickson make an election prediction?

By the way, did any conservative pundits/media types actually predict an Obama win? I was thinking maybe Ross Douthat @ NYT did or someone like that.

Ross Douthat is a boring scold, but yeah, he saw the writing on the wall.

Prediction on 11/5/2012

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet
:siren: Rumor that Megyn Kelly is to replace Sean Hannity in said timeslot, FOX doesn't deny story. :siren:

If this turns out to be true, then God bless America.

Devour fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 8, 2013

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Holy poo poo, that's hilarious on a million levels. God bless America indeed. What's Hannity (exclamation point) going to do?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

Holy poo poo, that's hilarious on a million levels. God bless America indeed. What's Hannity (exclamation point) going to do?

They must be giving him something else to do. Hannity, for all his bitchiness, always sucks up to Roger Ailes and is one of the network's top rainmakers.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

Zeroisanumber posted:

They must be giving him something else to do. Hannity, for all his bitchiness, always sucks up to Roger Ailes and is one of the network's top rainmakers.
Didn't the ratings of Hannity's show take a significant drop since the 2012 election which has never fully recovered?

If she does replace him, it would be a smart move on the part of FOX. Everyone and their mother knows that Hannity is 100% an unapologetic hack for conservatives/republicans. He comes off as a loving drone that's programmed to never criticize any republican talking points/politicians. (He still maintains Bush never did anything wrong, despite Bush not receiving an invitation to the 2012 RNC.) That's why O'Reilly/Kelly are so much more well received critically, at least they pretend to be objective sometimes.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Has this been posted in this thread?

FOX News at its best and this dude just owns the poo poo out of her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt1cOnNrY5s

I know it's been in one of the threads in D&D but even if it's been posted here already it can go again and deserves a repost.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 8, 2013

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

quote:

That's why O'Reilly/Kelly are so much more well received critically, at least they pretend to be objective sometime

It's not even "objectivity," it's just easier to believe that O'Reilly and Kelly actually believe what they're saying. Plus, if you're trying to get younger people to replace your dying, osteoporosic demographic, replacing Hannity with Kelly is an excellent move.

poor nose
Oct 29, 2005

Hannity better start letting not his heart be troubled.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Has this been posted in this thread?

FOX News at its best and this dude just owns the poo poo out of her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt1cOnNrY5s

I know it's been in one of the threads in D&D but even if it's been posted here already it can go again and deserves a repost.

I think it was discussed, but I don't think the interview itself has been linked.

And drat, if that wasn't the worst interview in the history of Fox News (as has been argued on places like Salon), then it has to rank pretty high up.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I caught a bit of Hannity on my way back from the gym just a little earlier, and he sounded surprisingly cagey about the issue of him being replaced in his slot, not his usual smug self.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

ReidRansom posted:

I caught a bit of Hannity on my way back from the gym just a little earlier, and he sounded surprisingly cagey about the issue of him being replaced in his slot, not his usual smug self.
So I take it he didn't confirm nor deny the rumor just like Roger Ailes?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Stay Out of FYAD posted:

So I take it he didn't confirm nor deny the rumor just like Roger Ailes?

I only caught the tail end of him talking about it, but I feel like his tone confirmed it, though he was sort of dancing around it verbally. Just not his usual smug self.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
For what it's worth, Megyn Kelly is "reportedly" taking over the 9PM slot on Fox News, as reported by... Fox News.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/08/08/megyn-kelly-reportedly-taking-over-pm-slot-in-fox-news-primetime-lineup/

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

ReidRansom posted:

I only caught the tail end of him talking about it, but I feel like his tone confirmed it, though he was sort of dancing around it verbally. Just not his usual smug self.

I want to call up and just be like 'free market, bitch! Woooooooooo!'

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Uh...if this isn't right-wing media, I don't know what is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kikyl7VXOr0

dun dun dun dun dun DA NA NA NANA NA ROUHANI!

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

ReidRansom posted:

Fox News still acknowledged that they still have a contract with Hannity. So instead of just completely shitcanning him from the Network altogether, they're probably just going to put him in an afternoon slot until his contract expires in 2016.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

SedanChair posted:

I do appreciate the double-think that most of the right wing media has done with focusing on Ahmadinejad for 8 years, save for a few days during the 08 election, to suddenly say "the President of Iran doesn't matter".

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

SedanChair posted:

Is... is this literally banging the drums of war?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I like how they can't even scaremonger about Iran developing nuclear weapons anymore (especially since everyone knows Israel has them)

It's just :siren: NUCLEAR PROGRAM :siren:

Scum.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Stay Out of FYAD posted:

Fox News still acknowledged that they still have a contract with Hannity. So instead of just completely shitcanning him from the Network altogether, they're probably just going to put him in an afternoon slot until his contract expires in 2016.

Thing is, his radio show starts at the end of Rush's, and runs 3 hours. Moving his radio show up to overlap Limbaugh would be so stupid its a non-starter, 6pm is when his radio show ends, so no go there, 7pm would probably be pushing it time-wise what with prep and makeup and such, even assuming no travel time (no idea if the radio show is produced in the same building), they're not going to bump O'Reily, like I have no idea where they plan on putting him. Bump him to occasional special report status?

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

ReidRansom posted:

Thing is, his radio show starts at the end of Rush's, and runs 3 hours. Moving his radio show up to overlap Limbaugh would be so stupid its a non-starter, 6pm is when his radio show ends, so no go there, 7pm would probably be pushing it time-wise what with prep and makeup and such, even assuming no travel time (no idea if the radio show is produced in the same building), they're not going to bump O'Reily, like I have no idea where they plan on putting him. Bump him to occasional special report status?
Maybe he'll become the new male co-host of Fox & Friends. :smugbert:

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

SedanChair posted:

They couldn't find 3 ominous quotes to use so they had to settle for "We are standing at the threshold" for one of them. That's seriously the best they could do. The other other quotes aren't great either. Obama has said more evil poo poo than that. It seems like the only time these hawks can show Iran leaders saying something crazy is when they translate it weird (like that Israel must be wiped off the map thing a while back). Ahmadinejad & co. say PLENTY of crazy poo poo in public, the problem is right wing types agree with a lot of it so they can't put that in a scary video.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Modern Day Hercules posted:

It seems like the only time these hawks can show Iran leaders saying something crazy is when they translate it weird (like that Israel must be wiped off the map thing a while back). Ahmadinejad & co. say PLENTY of crazy poo poo in public, the problem is right wing types agree with a lot of it so they can't put that in a scary video.
Glen Beck did something like that a couple days ago where they mocked a song's broken English, then it turned out it was a translation they were mocking. If they didn't show their hand by playing the actual song, the stupid Muslims can't speak English joke would have worked.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
Invade Iran already. :unsmigghh:

poor nose
Oct 29, 2005

Man I just can't get over how crushed Sean's ego is going to be if/when he's moved.Where the hell are the going to put him? Will it affect his radio show? I'm literally giddy with the idea of seeing the downfall of Sean Hannity, I know most people hate on Rush but for me Hannity is the worst of the worst, he's so loving smug and just self content. I really can not wait to see what happens. :dance:

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
Rush is a very talented broadcaster. Say what you want about his politics, his tone, whatever, his skills are very real and I understand why he became such a big deal. Hannity's appeal is completely lost on me, though; I can't imagine how even die-hard Freepers don't want to shotgun him in the face.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

poor nose posted:

Man I just can't get over how crushed Sean's ego is going to be if/when he's moved.Where the hell are the going to put him? Will it affect his radio show? I'm literally giddy with the idea of seeing the downfall of Sean Hannity, I know most people hate on Rush but for me Hannity is the worst of the worst, he's so loving smug and just self content. I really can not wait to see what happens. :dance:
Yeah, if this rumor goes through then it's definitely going to be some entertainment. He debuted with FOX in 1996. Getting the boot after 17 years on at 9PM will definitely be a huge blow to his ego. He should've learned his lesson from Glenn Beck, as in obviously FOX is trying to distance themselves from one-dimensional blowhard hacks while still maintaining a conservative narrative. Even O'Reilly has adapted on social issues like gay marriage over the years & even compliments President Obama sometimes. Ever hear about Sean doing anything like that? Nope.

Also, another possibility for is departure might be for the fact that Sean ALWAYS has the same guests on his show every week. He never gets anyone on whom he truly disagrees with/vice versa, it's just incredibly stale now. Megyn Kelly will definitely get interviews with high profile politicians the same way O'Reilly & Greta do.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

MisterBadIdea posted:

Rush is a very talented broadcaster. Say what you want about his politics, his tone, whatever, his skills are very real and I understand why he became such a big deal. Hannity's appeal is completely lost on me, though; I can't imagine how even die-hard Freepers don't want to shotgun him in the face.

He's the most shameless. That's really all it is. He will literally just start shouting unrelated conservative trigger words when upset and his radio intro calls his show the 'stop Obama express'.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Stay Out of FYAD posted:

Yeah, if this rumor goes through then it's definitely going to be some entertainment. He debuted with FOX in 1996. Getting the boot after 17 years on at 9PM will definitely be a huge blow to his ego. He should've learned his lesson from Glenn Beck, as in obviously FOX is trying to distance themselves from one-dimensional blowhard hacks while still maintaining a conservative narrative. Even O'Reilly has adapted on social issues like gay marriage over the years & even compliments President Obama sometimes. Ever hear about Sean doing anything like that? Nope.

Also, another possibility for is departure might be for the fact that Sean ALWAYS has the same guests on his show every week. He never gets anyone on whom he truly disagrees with/vice versa, it's just incredibly stale now. Megyn Kelly will definitely get interviews with high profile politicians the same way O'Reilly & Greta do.

From what I understand the major problem that he's having is that he can't retain O'Reilly's audience anymore. FOX knows that they still have a solid building block for their weeknight line-up with everyone's condescending rear end in a top hat uncle anchoring things at 8pm, but Hannity just isn't performing up to the same level and blew his credibility with Election 2012 and Trayvon Martin. It looks like Ailes wants to fix his line-up and doesn't mind the idea of banishing Hannity to weekends to do it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

How did he blow it with Martin? I thought every conservative was parroting the "George obviously defended himself since Trayvon HAD to be the aggressor for some reason we can't pinpoint."

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'm shocked whenever a Right Wing media member fails. Surely, there is a billionaire out there somewhere willing to float him?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

redshirt posted:

I'm shocked whenever a Right Wing media member fails. Surely, there is a billionaire out there somewhere willing to float him?

"Using drones is JUST AS BAD as starting a war killing thousands on bullshit grounds JUST AS BAD BUSH 2.0!!!!"

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

Zeroisanumber posted:

From what I understand the major problem that he's having is that he can't retain O'Reilly's audience anymore. FOX knows that they still have a solid building block for their weeknight line-up with everyone's condescending rear end in a top hat uncle anchoring things at 8pm, but Hannity just isn't performing up to the same level and blew his credibility with Election 2012 and Trayvon Martin. It looks like Ailes wants to fix his line-up and doesn't mind the idea of banishing Hannity to weekends to do it.
Yeah, and couple that with the fact that Hannity isn't bringing in any new viewers on top of O'Reilly's viewers immediately changing the channel once Hannity comes on. Megyn Kelly is definitely more objective in reporting, even more so then O'Reilly. She did in fact receive an education from Law School, in contrast to Hannity's previous gigs in contruction (:lol:) & radio. She'll bring in younger viewers on top of the fact it's another female in primetime for FOX.

I really thought she was going to replace Greta, but this just makes so much more sense now.

Stewart, Colbert, and Maher are totally going to miss Sean though!

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Stay Out of FYAD posted:

Eh, Stewart and Colbert haven't really focused on him for a long time. I think most of their humor was always reserved for Colmes for being some kind of liberal Stepin Fetchit. When Hannity ditched him and Glenn Beck and the rest of the tea party gang arrived, they almost never did any pieces involving Hannity. Which I guess mirrors everyone else pretty closely.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Stay Out of FYAD posted:

He won't go far. He's still on contract.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

redshirt posted:

You have to be good for something to get floated. Served in Congress, or be a fake academic that says slavery was great, or be a useful minority willing to sell out your own people.

Radio host? In hustling were ye formed, and to hustling shall ye return.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Pixelboy posted:

Change the five to the six and seat him at a little table next to the big one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Pixelboy posted:

The word around the campfire is that he's going to end up going the same way as Ed Schultz and get booted to weekends.