Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

I'm sure there are good players on the team, but it's his "job" as community manager or whatever his official title is to showcase and play the game.

Too bad it isn't part of his job description not to say "y'know?" 6 or 7 times a minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

unwantedplatypus posted:

I'm honestly worried that they're intentionally picking people who are bad at the game to showcase their "brilliant" new AI and the actual ingame AI will be a huge disappointment. It would be really nice if they showcased a battle where the player was decent.

Any good player will make the AI look like poo poo, every time. Even when I go against decent AI in games after a while I make it look silly and predictable because i'm good. (Eventually anyway)

So you pick the average/bad player.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Didn't the skirmish AI actually get them back behind his lines? That's something I actually liked about the video.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 9, 2013

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I'd probably make a bunch of stupid mistakes and forget about some of my units too if I wasn't able to pause for fear of ruining the pacing of a demonstration, which being a single player only guy, is something I abuse heavily. Though running your skirmishers out there for no real reason and assuming the skirmish AI will see them all safely back to your lines was a silly thing to do regardless of whether or not he was outside his pausing comfort zone.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Vargs posted:

I'd probably make a bunch of stupid mistakes and forget about some of my units too if I wasn't able to pause for fear of ruining the pacing of a demonstration, which being a single player only guy, is something I abuse heavily.

I used to be the same way until I played a bunch of multiplayer in Shogun 2. You get used to managing the fight real quick because nobody ever, ever allows pausing in a multiplayer match. It's actually a lot easier than you're probably imagining though. Now I never pause the game even when I'm playing single player unless there is just a whole bunch of crazy poo poo going or my formation spontaneously decides to invent new geometric shapes (probably the more common cause).

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

I just want to get my hands on a mod that slows down the pace of combat. Battles end way too quickly, kills rates are too high, and morale is shattered so quickly. There isn't much room for tactical reasoning, using reserves, shifting forces, or having tired units pulled from combat (perhaps have them retreat off the map and replaced with reinforcements). I get that they aren't trying to be realistic (no one wants to have their whole army rout when they lose 10% of their forces) but the series has taken a decidedly arcade turn for a while now.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

KaptainKrunk posted:

I just want to get my hands on a mod that slows down the pace of combat. Battles end way too quickly, kills rates are too high, and morale is shattered so quickly. There isn't much room for tactical reasoning, using reserves, shifting forces, or having tired units pulled from combat (perhaps have them retreat off the map and replaced with reinforcements). I get that they aren't trying to be realistic (no one wants to have their whole army rout when they lose 10% of their forces) but the series has taken a decidedly arcade turn for a while now.

Congratulations, you're the target audience for literally every mod. I don't mean to denigrate it, but just about all mods make combat take forever so I think you'll be fine.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

KaptainKrunk posted:

This is why I still play Stainless Steel and other similar mods, I stopped playing Shogun 2 as well after my first campaign because I was tired of the arcadyness of it all. As excited as I am for Rome 2 a part of me is still thinking 'This looks great, too bad I'll be waiting longer for a mod to come out to make it my kind of fun'.

edit: really though what is the point of 1000 new animations for your soldiers sneezing if the battle lasts all of 30 seconds?

Chomp8645 posted:

While the 99% figure is an exaggeration, this man correct when he says that there is a rather bizarre trend of game developers being somewhere between bad and awful at their own games. I've never understood it, but it seems to be an undeniable truth.

Yeah that figure is hyperbole, but it's still pretty high. I can count on one hand the number of games I've played that had decent MP balance out of the gate, or had devs that really understood what makes MP balanced and still fun, without trying to cater to the lowest common denominator.

Someguy fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 9, 2013

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
drat, I decided to give the Ikko Ikki campaign an actual attempt and they expand so quickly without really needing all that much pushing thanks to the monks. The only problem I have is income because nobody will trade with me.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

While the 99% figure is an exaggeration, this man correct when he says that there is a rather bizarre trend of game developers being somewhere between bad and awful at their own games. I've never understood it, but it seems to be an undeniable truth.

They are playing 12 development builds a week, they just don't have the time to break the game wide open the same way players do. Besides, you design the game with certain assumptions in mind (which you may or may not be aware of). Other people obviously do not necessarily follow these assumptions and approach it unbiased.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

ArchangeI posted:

They are playing 12 development builds a week, they just don't have the time to break the game wide open the same way players do. Besides, you design the game with certain assumptions in mind (which you may or may not be aware of). Other people obviously do not necessarily follow these assumptions and approach it unbiased.

I would also imagine that when you're working under a tight deadline and putting in long, long hours working on the game that you don't want to go anywhere near a videogame when you get home.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I personally find I don't really want to spend ages manoeuvring across a landscape whilst waiting for armies to clash. I ended up replaying Med 2 and rome a bit recently and for how long it takes your men to even reach the other side... well my god is it tedious to watch two units basically playing grab rear end with each other with numbers going up and down slightly.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Seems like this could be fixed by making the army spawn areas smaller and closer together. Of course, that gives the player fewer options when he's trying to pick the right hill to die on.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Or you could just speed poo poo up, like what is being done in the TW games thus far.

I just find that, with the earlier TW, you could sometimes just fast forward through the infantry combat, it was only cav that you were actually moving about. That said, with all the special abilities we seem to be seeing now I am looking forward to hammering the mouse to try and make it usable faster.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

KaptainKrunk posted:

Darth Mod for Shogun 2 and Empire does this. You need to pound the poo poo out of an army in Shogun to route them. I also like the changes they made to the technology tree in Shogun. The policies are more important and retainers for characters are more potent. You also get 3 skill points per level up which kicks rear end.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

peer posted:

More video! A guy skirmishing as Macedon against Rome.

The Phalnax didn't make up almost half of the force! My immersion!
Seriously this looks quite good, I love how the helmets for one arn't all the same, and that there is a variety to the armor. It just looks so beautiful. Furthermore the AI seems to be good, hopefully it resembles that at release.

Finally how bad has TWC gotten. I left about the time NTW got released and remembered quite a bit of sniping from nationalists on mods, politics always seemed to spiral into mod discussions. FInally which big modders left?

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 9, 2013

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

ClemenSalad posted:

Darth Mod for Shogun 2 and Empire does this. You need to pound the poo poo out of an army in Shogun to route them. I also like the changes they made to the technology tree in Shogun. The policies are more important and retainers for characters are more potent. You also get 3 skill points per level up which kicks rear end.

I'm not sure if my problem's the same as the other guy's, but I'd just like it if units moved slower. I like units that die and break, but I want it to take a little bit longer. Basically, it'd be cool if S2 units moved like they on the three quarter speed option but with natural-looking animations.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The only time I feel CA have misrepresented their AI's capabilities is in the run-up to Empire with those utterly bemusing 'battalion square' videos and so on. Showing the 'AI' (actually just someone else controlling it in multiplayer, I'm pretty sure) making completely impractical full-army formations with their troops, which it would never ever do in the actual game (and a good thing too because those formations would have been atrocious).

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
S2 units definitely feel a bit "fleeter" than the guys in M2TW.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I'm not sure if my problem's the same as the other guy's, but I'd just like it if units moved slower. I like units that die and break, but I want it to take a little bit longer. Basically, it'd be cool if S2 units moved like they on the three quarter speed option but with natural-looking animations.

I'm not sure if they move slower, but the units are much larger (think 375 men for yari ashigaru) so its more "ungainly" but in a cool way. The morale is much higher for most units too. It takes major shocks to break them and you'll lose most of the unit before they break. They don't die as quick either so it may be closer to the "slowness" you are looking for. Battles definitely take longer.

Space Wizard
Aug 31, 2012

Sethmaster posted:

maybe they are scarred by their experience at twc?

I initially posted the idea of inviting the CA community liaison here, but nothing ever came of it. Or rather, I never actually extended the invitation to them because:

1: As Sethmaster pointed out, they're probably scarred enough by their experience at TWC to never bother dipping their toes in another web board. I'm still waiting for the day when Jack Lusted shows up at Prometheus' doorstep. Drunk. With a claw hammer.

2: I never quite figured who to extend the invitation to, and where. Do I just shoot Jack a PM? He probably gets hundreds of them daily, which he probably mass deletes before pouring himself another healthy mug of Vagrant's Choice Fortified Whiskey. Do I just shoot Creative Assembly an e-mail? Do we goon rush TWC, post a thread and outright try to Shanghai the CA devs out from under their noses?

I'm still willing to forward the money for CA's account because, well, it's :10bux:. It's really not a big deal.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Is this the right thread for discussing potential PC builds for Rome 2?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

S2 units definitely feel a bit "fleeter" than the guys in M2TW.

I really liked how much heavier dudes in M2 felt over Shogun 2. Empire was particularly bad about this. Felt more like controlling liquid than controlling men, especially when they slide a couple yards over to go into their synchronized combat animations.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Space Wizard posted:

I initially posted the idea of inviting the CA community liaison here, but nothing ever came of it. Or rather, I never actually extended the invitation to them because:

1: As Sethmaster pointed out, they're probably scarred enough by their experience at TWC to never bother dipping their toes in another web board. I'm still waiting for the day when Jack Lusted shows up at Prometheus' doorstep. Drunk. With a claw hammer.

2: I never quite figured who to extend the invitation to, and where. Do I just shoot Jack a PM? He probably gets hundreds of them daily, which he probably mass deletes before pouring himself another healthy mug of Vagrant's Choice Fortified Whiskey. Do I just shoot Creative Assembly an e-mail? Do we goon rush TWC, post a thread and outright try to Shanghai the CA devs out from under their noses?

I'm still willing to forward the money for CA's account because, well, it's :10bux:. It's really not a big deal.

I work in games all be it at a smaller studio but really he's just a normal guy and although extremely busy right now he won't delete your email. He might not think 200 or so people is worth it but I do!

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Mr.48 posted:

Is this the right thread for discussing potential PC builds for Rome 2?

Don't know if there is a right thread.

Here are the official minimum/recommended specs. I'mma put in a DX11 video card and finally upgrade to Windows 8. Been using XP since 2003.

Space Wizard
Aug 31, 2012
If your PC can run Shogun 2 without any problems, then Rome 2 should work just as easily. At least that's been CA's official line since last September. I wouldn't bother doing a complete build from the ground up, but a few minor upgrades could be possibly useful.

Buy yourself a Roman helmet and cheer from your darkened basement as your glorious legions conquer the known world in your name.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Space Wizard posted:

Buy yourself a Roman helmet and cheer from your darkened basement as your glorious legions conquer the known world in your name.

Did you mean buy yourself a Persian helmet and weep tears of joy as you burn Rome to the ground?

Miserableman
May 6, 2003

wats the plan, mang

Space Wizard posted:

I have connections to CA and read this thread from time to time, I've forwarded your request to Craig. Also I told him about all the abuse Will got a few pages back which made his day. Hopefully he'll come and set an account up here and join in the Will-baiting.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
It kinda seems like in the showcased battles so far, the guys playing the battles are really, really leery about sending their general into any kind of fighting, no matter the odds or the situation. It kinda drives me a bit bonkers - in that Macedonian video, f'rinstance, if the gameplay balance is anything like the earlier games he could have turned things around or at least not have hosed up so badly if he actually let his general charge home a few times. Doubly worse in that video since the general actually died midway through, thus making it pointless to keep the general unit safe and intact.

I don't know if generals are just more fragile now than they were in even Shogun 2, but goddamn it, charge, you bastards! This ain't the goddamn Enlightenment era, generals drat well get stuck in now! Heck, in Jack Lusted's recent Q&A he specifically singled out Macedonian generals as a combat-oriented unit, even!

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax
There was one part of the gameplay where he manuevered his elite horse from BEHIND the main enemy melee blob to behind his lines. Almost deliberately avoiding the battle saving rear charge. :negative:

ClemenSalad fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Aug 9, 2013

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I like how nearly every CA guy seems to want to have half his army ambush and it just never works. Hammer and Anvil might be boring but boring let me take half the world :v:

Space Wizard
Aug 31, 2012

Miserableman posted:

I have connections to CA and read this thread from time to time, I've forwarded your request to Craig. Also I told him about all the abuse Will got a few pages back which made his day. Hopefully he'll come and set an account up here and join in the Will-baiting.

That would be amazing. Staying true to my original promise; I'm willing to cover the cost of his registration.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
What purpose does the generals rally abilities have in Rome (with EB mod) and MTW2 (with SS mod)?

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
In MTW2 (and SS) at least it boosts the morale of troops that are wavering. So for instance say some troops are about to rout or even have routed you can use the rally ability and it can often get them back under control. I'm not sure if you have to be near them for it to work but I think that's the case.

Also if you're like me you just use it at the start of a battle because it makes a horn noise.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Maybe it has more impact if your general has a higher commander skill, but I've never really noticed it to work very effectively. Or rather, it's not something you can rely on to have a big impact on the battle.

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

Just one more finger, Trent.
I never noticed much of an effect with Rally in RTW, so I don't think I ever actually tried it in M2TW. Generally, if my units were to the point where they were wavering, it was because I was hopelessly outmatched and a temporary morale boost would not have helped much anyway. Particularly in mods like EB, where battles last a while and units don't break quickly, it doesn't seem to matter much.

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!
For everyone complaining about how short fights are, did you not notice how long the Macedonian infantry were engaged with the Roman infantry? They weren't super vet either, I saw one of them get promoted to rank 3 at the end of the fight right before they routed. Also, they didn't rout until they were significantly flanked.

Maybe I'm misremembering things, but it seemed like they were stuck in for a long, long time.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Hey have they said anything yet on Rome 2 about the start/end dates? I can't seem to find any info. Also is it going to be a year a turn, or seasons, or ?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Evil Canadian posted:

Hey have they said anything yet on Rome 2 about the start/end dates? I can't seem to find any info. Also is it going to be a year a turn, or seasons, or ?

1 tpy. Game starts in 272 bc. Events stop firing and such after 300 years, but you can play after that as long as you wan an still win. They keep saying seasons are still in the game, so it looks like the north is permanently winter or something.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
GMG have their Rome II preorder at 42,99€ currently.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/de/de/pc/games/strategy/total-war-rome-ii/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Chomp8645 posted:

It's the same with reviewers. Apparently everyone who makes money off of video games except pro-gamers are absolutely terrible at them.