Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Drz400s sucks as a highway commuter. Speed wobbles and buzzy. The sm geared for top end might be a lot better but it'd be slow as poo poo getting there.

DRZ 400SM is just fine on the highway. The speed wobbles on the S are 99% due to the front fender on the S, which acts like a giant sail (because it is a giant sail). The SM front fender is vented in the back and much narrower up front. The other 1% of the highway wobbles are from people death-gripping them. Loose hands on the DRZ on the highway will make it much happier. My DRZ SM is geared stock, and I regularly commute 80 miles round trip all highway with it, sometimes carrying a top-box filled with heavy poo poo. The DRZ is perfectly fine on the highway, and it will go much longer than its rider will without protesting. The worst part about it is the seat, honestly, but stand up every once in a while and you'll be fine.

As for the buzz, get some 7/8 braced bars, and it will cut down a lot on that. Some people swear by unbraced fatbars for reducing buzz, but they leave so much bar hanging out unbraced, I just cant see how it would be better than braced bars. Or buy a 07+ DRZ SM that came with Renthals from the factory.

Most of the problems people complain about with taking a DRZ on the highway lie with the rider rather than the bike.

Maybe I'm spoiled, I used to do a 40 mile round trip commute daily on a 75 XL250, completely tapped out the whole way. The DRZ feels like a goldwing compared to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

The DRZ is pretty poo poo at doing long highway stints, even with rose tinted glasses on and loving the hell out of the thing. If it had a 6th gear it would be perfect.

It'll never be a great highway commuter. No supermoto ever really will, but big KTMs or Huskies are better because they have 6th gears that let the engine get lazy.

I mean I like the DRZ and all but the highway is its weakest point. You have to gear it so its good at the highway and boring as poo poo everywhere else or just live with it up in the rev range all the time to cruise.

It's not going to hurt it being up in the revs at 70, and you can do stuff for the buzzing, but in my experience your always going to be acutely aware you are 'Riding a DRZ on the highway and it doesn't like it', whereas on my 690 it didn't give a rats rear end until you got up to 85 or so.

Just be aware of this and buy it anyway if its the supermoto that fits your price range. Better to have supermoto and suck at the highway and enjoy everything else than to not have one because you were too big of a baby to deal with lovely highway cruising.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I want my DRZ to be quieter. I Bought it from a guy who did jet/3x3/exhaust mod to power it up and looks like he took the muffler/silencer out and while it sounds badass, I hate blowing up my parking garage and parking spot when I go to work and setting a couple alarms off if I punch it.

Looks like it's a Yoshimura RS-2 full exhaust. Is there a way to buy the muffler insert somewhere without the whole exhaust?
http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/ps-3250-1144-rs-2-stainlessaluminum-full-system-dr-z400s.aspx
Is this even a thing I can do? Should I deal? :(

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I want my DRZ to be quieter. I Bought it from a guy who did jet/3x3/exhaust mod to power it up and looks like he took the muffler/silencer out and while it sounds badass, I hate blowing up my parking garage and parking spot when I go to work and setting a couple alarms off if I punch it.

Looks like it's a Yoshimura RS-2 full exhaust. Is there a way to buy the muffler insert somewhere without the whole exhaust?
http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/ps-3250-1144-rs-2-stainlessaluminum-full-system-dr-z400s.aspx
Is this even a thing I can do? Should I deal? :(

Here ya go:

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/YOSHIMURA-QUIET-INSERT-RS2-94DB

I have one that is just a spark arrestor looking thing that I've never tried putting in. Sometimes I feel like my RS2 is loud when I drive through slower public areas and notice everyone turning their heads expecting a harley or something but oh well.

E: Mine looks like this I think. I'm betting the RS2 and RS3 endcaps are interchangeable but I don't know that for sure.

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/2005-suzuki-drz400s--YOSHIMURA-SPARK-ARRESTOR-FOR-RS3-TRS

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

tesilential posted:

Anything else I should look out for or anybody wanna convince me a dual sport is not a highway commuter?

JP Money posted:

Unfortunately the better highway cruising dual sports are either heavy as poo poo (KLR's) or way more money (big KTM's, etc.).

An XB12X is a good option for a dualsport, emphasis on sport, for mostly highway riding. They're lighter than the KLR and make twice-ish the power - cruise smoothly at 80 all day long no problem, front comes up no problem, hops curbs no problem. Comparable in price with a DRZ, too. Not a sumo, but if you're doing highway commuting, that type of bike isn't what I'd characterize as an ideal tool.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 30, 2013

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Here are some photos of the exhaust. Looks like based on the sticker I already have a spark arrestor installed?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bfv2z7i74k7kxw6/eqHRrJD232
(that looks like an RS-2 yeah?)

Could I buy that silencer, take the arrestor out and put that in instead?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Here are some photos of the exhaust. Looks like based on the sticker I already have a spark arrestor installed?

It might just be a loud aftermarket exhaust and not gutted in any way. I wasted money on a quiet core for my FMF pipe when I bought the bike, but it didn't do much. I ultimately ended up buying a quieter slip-on and reselling the loud one to recoup a little cash.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Spiffness posted:

The DRZ is pretty poo poo at doing long highway stints, even with rose tinted glasses on and loving the hell out of the thing. If it had a 6th gear it would be perfect.

It'll never be a great highway commuter. No supermoto ever really will, but big KTMs or Huskies are better because they have 6th gears that let the engine get lazy.

I mean I like the DRZ and all but the highway is its weakest point. You have to gear it so its good at the highway and boring as poo poo everywhere else or just live with it up in the rev range all the time to cruise.

It's not going to hurt it being up in the revs at 70, and you can do stuff for the buzzing, but in my experience your always going to be acutely aware you are 'Riding a DRZ on the highway and it doesn't like it', whereas on my 690 it didn't give a rats rear end until you got up to 85 or so.

Just be aware of this and buy it anyway if its the supermoto that fits your price range. Better to have supermoto and suck at the highway and enjoy everything else than to not have one because you were too big of a baby to deal with lovely highway cruising.

The rose-colored glasses I have from currently riding it on the highway all the time? I'm not looking back at a bike I owned 5 years ago that I've forgotten all about. The DRZ is fine on the highway. Its revving, but its not banging off the rev-limiter. The thing can sit at redline all day and be fine, and you're not even close to redline on the highway (remember the DRZ can do over 100mph if you're patient enough). You could also make the argument that the WR250 is a good highway cruiser since it has a 6th gear, but thats not all there is to being a good highway bike

Now, the 690 and the like do have more roll-on passing power, definitely, due to the fact that they have more power all around.

Either way, we're all arguing about riding supermotos on the highway, this is tantamount to complaining that your shifter-kart is not fun on the highway. Its a supermoto, they arent good highway rigs compared to like a Goldwing or something. The real answer here is this: Buy a supermoto (any one you want), ride it, have fun, and suck it up on the highway, because none of them are super great on the highway.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

eddiewalker posted:

I ultimately ended up buying a quieter slip-on and reselling the loud one to recoup a little cash.

is it really easy to swap out? I don't have to break a loving weld or anything do I? Is it just spring loaded? Sorry, I don't know poo poo about this stuff :shobon:

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

hot sauce posted:

I remember my dad telling me about this, but never knew exactly where it was. Where is the entrance exactly? Is the pavement still smooth enough for a non-supermoto to ride on?

I used an entrance on Oklahoma at right about 23rd and D NE, and an exit a little further up Oklahoma. Looking at the map I think there might be a few more ways to get in from Benning and East Cap. Pavement's not track quality, but it's definitely better than most DC roads and probably cleaner too. There's a gate across the entrance I used. Don't know if they use it but there's plenty of room to get around it. Let me know what the mall cop scene is like. I want to get this down to a science.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
TT and Sisneros are both sold out of FCR 39 MXs until September because they're waiting on Sudco. I'm gonna cry.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Yerok posted:

TT and Sisneros are both sold out of FCR 39 MXs until September because they're waiting on Sudco. I'm gonna cry.

Check the TT forums instead. You can find one off some other bike for cheaper (by far).

BotchedLobotomy posted:

is it really easy to swap out? I don't have to break a loving weld or anything do I? Is it just spring loaded? Sorry, I don't know poo poo about this stuff :shobon:

Yeah, you just unbolt it under the fender and on the passenger peg and then bolt in the new one. The RS2 is one of the better pipes as far as making more power goes but is not the quietest one by a longshot. The FMF quiet core would be what I would look at but they don't do anything for power from what I've seen. Might as well go back to stock since the pipes are so cheap they're practically free imo. You could sell the RS2 slip on for a decent chunk of change if you do decide you like the stock one. Like, over 100 probably. Check ThumperTalk classifieds in order to find cheap stock slip ons.

Baller Witness Bro fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 30, 2013

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ought ten posted:

I used an entrance on Oklahoma at right about 23rd and D NE, and an exit a little further up Oklahoma. Looking at the map I think there might be a few more ways to get in from Benning and East Cap. Pavement's not track quality, but it's definitely better than most DC roads and probably cleaner too. There's a gate across the entrance I used. Don't know if they use it but there's plenty of room to get around it. Let me know what the mall cop scene is like. I want to get this down to a science.

For sure. I think I will check this out sometime in the next week. Hopefully I will not be reporting back with a story about my bike being impounded.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The rose-colored glasses I have from currently riding it on the highway all the time? I'm not looking back at a bike I owned 5 years ago that I've forgotten all about. The DRZ is fine on the highway. Its revving, but its not banging off the rev-limiter. The thing can sit at redline all day and be fine, and you're not even close to redline on the highway (remember the DRZ can do over 100mph if you're patient enough). You could also make the argument that the WR250 is a good highway cruiser since it has a 6th gear, but thats not all there is to being a good highway bike

I have to agree with this
My SM is +3 on the back and its still fine up to 90mph, tops out now at about 95.

JP Money posted:

Agreed with this. Buying a DRZ (or almost any supermoto really) with a long commute in mind is almost setting yourself up to be unhappy and sell it. You can absolutely gear it down so that it'll top out at 95-100 but even then 80 is still higher in the revs than you want to be cruising at imo and it's not super fast at getting there (but also not that slow).

how is 18 miles a long commute?
18 miles is 15 minutes at those speeds, if you cant handle the lack of luxury for that long then supermotos aren't for you.

You actually cant hit the rev limiter of the drz in top gear without a cam and carb swap anyway

JP Money posted:

Yeah, you just unbolt it under the fender and on the passenger peg and then bolt in the new one. The RS2 is one of the better pipes as far as making more power goes but is not the quietest one by a longshot. The FMF quiet core would be what I would look at but they don't do anything for power from what I've seen. Might as well go back to stock since the pipes are so cheap they're practically free imo. You could sell the RS2 slip on for a decent chunk of change if you do decide you like the stock one.

Three's a bit more to it than that, if you change back to stock you'll have to rejet the carb for sure.
If you change to a different aftermarket can you might get away with not rejetting it but be prepared for the power curve to change noticeably, I can feel the difference in power in my RS2 with the baffle out and with it in, with it in there is a distinct drop off in top end power.

echomadman fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 30, 2013

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Yes, you have the insert already. The ring sticking out at the end of the damper is the end of the insert. I had a full RS-2 on my DRZ, and it is STUPID LOUD even with the insert, without the insert it's just unbearable imo.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

echomadman posted:

I have to agree with this
My SM is +3 on the back and its still fine up to 90mph, tops out now at about 95.

how is 18 miles a long commute?
18 miles is 15 minutes at those speeds, if you cant handle the lack of luxury for that long then supermotos aren't for you.

You actually cant hit the rev limiter of the drz in top gear without a cam and carb swap anyway

Three's a bit more to it than that, if you change back to stock you'll have to rejet the carb for sure.
If you change to a different aftermarket can you might get away with not rejetting it but be prepared for the power curve to change noticeably, I can feel the difference in power in my RS2 with the baffle out and with it in, with it in there is a distinct drop off in top end power.

18 miles is a longer commute than anyone I've met with a supermoto personally. That's a lot longer than I would wager most people with a supermoto commute but it's not like I was saying it was impossible. It's just not the most ideal bike for the situation.

I went up one in front and down 2 in the back and even on the track I was only hitting 95 on the front straight. That being said, 80mph was fine if not slightly higher RPM that you would wanna commute with I guess. The tall gearing was nice enough actually and I do miss riding out the gears and not shifting as often but it also killed the power down low for me. All this would be solved by a 6th gear but that's another point entirely.

Also, exhaust changes obviously come with jetting changes. I think the header makes a WAY bigger difference than any slip on IIRC and you probably won't need to rejet if you keep the RS2 header.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

JP Money posted:

18 miles is a longer commute than anyone I've met with a supermoto personally. That's a lot longer than I would wager most people with a supermoto commute but it's not like I was saying it was impossible. It's just not the most ideal bike for the situation.

I went up one in front and down 2 in the back and even on the track I was only hitting 95 on the front straight. That being said, 80mph was fine if not slightly higher RPM that you would wanna commute with I guess. The tall gearing was nice enough actually and I do miss riding out the gears and not shifting as often but it also killed the power down low for me. All this would be solved by a 6th gear but that's another point entirely.

Also, exhaust changes obviously come with jetting changes. I think the header makes a WAY bigger difference than any slip on IIRC and you probably won't need to rejet if you keep the RS2 header.

without serious power mods gearing the drz down that far is pointless i think, it cant flow enough air to rev out in top gear and it ruins the low end.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I misspoke. When I say 1 up, I meant from a 14 to 15 tooth stock. I'm not THAT far geared down. I personally don't like holding bikes open for long periods of time nearing the top of the rev range. Even less so on a big single.

The DRZ can commute. If it fits your need for fun and you don't mind the ride, get one. I don't mean to keep this argument going.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
My favorite week of work was when I had a 35 minute interstate drive to a job site. I turned it into an hour of twisty middle of nowhere back roads via Google maps. I don't have comfort/luxury standards though because I'm used to 70's UJMs that may or may not have stupid clip-ons and rear sets.

Edit: Forgot to share my proudest moment of the day. I had my first low(no) speed drop. Pulled up to a stop sign to turn right, didn't notice weird road crown at the very edge of the road. Went for usual lean to the left and went right instead, put out my stubby little leg and discovered I was just too short for it to do any good. I managed to hop off the bike and lower it down one handed. Hit the kill switch and picked it up instantly, while a dude on a bicycle rides by at 1 mph and just yells "WOAH BRO!" at the most anti-climactic crash ever. No scratches/broken anything. Let the engine un-flood and hit the starter, was on my way 5 seconds later. <3 supermotos

Yerok fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 31, 2013

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

JP Money posted:

I misspoke. When I say 1 up, I meant from a 14 to 15 tooth stock. I'm not THAT far geared down. I personally don't like holding bikes open for long periods of time nearing the top of the rev range. Even less so on a big single.

The DRZ can commute. If it fits your need for fun and you don't mind the ride, get one. I don't mean to keep this argument going.

You said 1 up on the front and 2 down on the back, that's the gearing I was saying is too low, that's the same as going down 5 on the back.

are you just running the 2 down on the back now?

I enjoy the +3 on the rear so much that I don't care about the slightly higher revs. With that gearing and the stock carb +dynojet jet kit, 3x3, full Yosh RS2 and some emission equipment deletes I can still pull 95 no problem and it gets there faster than stock. i can power up wheelies in third with a good pull on the bars and clutch ups are a doddle in third.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I am at 14/39, I was only speaking about the front in that last post. That should be 1 down from stock up front and 2 down in the back. Not far off from stock but it works nicely enough for me as a compromise.

If you're asking why I'm running this it's because I got a 39t rear really cheap off TT and I had a trackday coming up that needed much higher gearing. I honestly didn't feel like running 15/39 was that outlandish even on my commuting around town. It let me get into 5th at about 50 which really stretched out the gearing.

axia
Nov 15, 2005

The future is now.

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I don't know how hard it is to swap, but I'll trade you my stock pipe for yours plus cash if you're interested!!!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

clutchpuck posted:

An XB12X is a good option for a dualsport, emphasis on sport, for mostly highway riding. They're lighter than the KLR and make twice-ish the power - cruise smoothly at 80 all day long no problem, front comes up no problem, hops curbs no problem. Comparable in price with a DRZ, too. Not a sumo, but if you're doing highway commuting, that type of bike isn't what I'd characterize as an ideal tool.

Hey Clutchpuck, I'm almost certainly going to get a Uly before the winter. What are my options as far as aftermarket springs and luggage (assuming it doesn't come with stock luggage) goes?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The go-to suspension upgrade for the 2006 model is to the '07 OEM progressive rate springs. Not many people change out suspension parts on the '07+ models; the stock setup is good and versatile.

For the luggage, Happy Trail makes racks that are pre-drilled for Givi and will fit anything else with a little creativity. I run Pelican panniers on homemade decking material mounting pucks and they stay on at 120mph. I've also gathered that Hepco & Becker luggage will mount to the stock luggage rack, and one of the OEM luggage sets is actually a H&B (Journey 42) set with Buell stickers on them.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

axia posted:

I don't know how hard it is to swap, but I'll trade you my stock pipe for yours plus cash if you're interested!!!

Make sure he doesn't have a larger aftermarket header, or you'll both have a pipe that doesn't fit.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I have a full stock system for an 06 DRZ if anyone is interested. It's a big-rear end box but just pay shipping and it's yours. I have no plans of going back to stock from my uncorked RS2. It's just loud enough...

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Hey Clutchpuck, I'm almost certainly going to get a Uly before the winter. What are my options as far as aftermarket springs and luggage (assuming it doesn't come with stock luggage) goes?

Yeah like Clutchpuck says, 07+ has better springs. 08+ has 47mm forks instead of 43mm and a wider lock to lock range. This only applies to the XB12X though, the XT and STT have different suspensions (also from one another). The X has reinforced wheels too.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

So I've decided to pass on that DRZ in lieu of saving up for a KTM. On the other hand, if anyone wants a DRZ SM in the Austin area, I know a guy selling one :v:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

High Protein posted:

Yeah like Clutchpuck says, 07+ has better springs. 08+ has 47mm forks instead of 43mm and a wider lock to lock range. This only applies to the XB12X though, the XT and STT have different suspensions (also from one another). The X has reinforced wheels too.

Remind me: The X has the Adventure Beak, the XT is more sport toury but still has a big suspension, and the STT is a straight up sport tourer, correct?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
So I guess I'm just going to get Distanzias for my DRZ because I have some dirt fuckery/camping planned for the fall. Anyone wanna chime in with what sizes they've had exceptional luck with? I've read a bunch of conflicting info about what sizes use the SM compound and which don't.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Safety Dance posted:

Remind me: The X has the Adventure Beak, the XT is more sport toury but still has a big suspension, and the STT is a straight up sport tourer, correct?

The xt's suspension is shorter than the x's and it doesn't have a reinforced wheel.

The stt is the motard model. Beak, shorter suspension than the x, lightning sub frame and pegs, number plates, no rack mounting points.

I'm fairly certain they all have longer suspension than the r and s models.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Well the guy with that WR250x I asked about last page never replied to anything after the first day even though his ad is still up, so I guess no Supermoto for me right now :(

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Looks like I might be joining the sumo club, a guy about 30 minutes away is selling a 2003 KLX 400 for the best price I've seen in two years. Unfortunately it's not currently registered but has been registered in the past, so shouldn't be too hard to get back on the road (but that's something I'll be asking the RTA tomorrow). I'm gonna try get down there later this week to check it out in person, what should I be looking out for? I assume it's not terribly different from a DRZ400, so checking to see if the airbox mod has been done and making sure not too many things have fallen off. It's got pretty low mileage for any bike, only around 4000km. Could there be some issues from how long it's been sitting? The ad mentions it's been garaged for 6 months (getting started once a fortnight) but has recently had a full service including fluid replacement. With that mileage I can't imagine the previous owner rode it all that much himself.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nice! The klx400 is the exact same bike as the drz. The only difference is the color of the plastics/tank, and kawi decals rather than Suzuki.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Yesterday one of my hand guards rattled off. Sketchy!

Reminder to go do some jumps
http://youtu.be/iYUdSjb-3Oc

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Dumb question but....

How hard is it to put regular DR400s wheels with dirt tires on a DRZ400sm? A guy is selling a 400sm nearby, and another guy has a set of dirt wheels for less than 300 bucks, so I could "get two birds stoned at once"

I am not very mechanical at the moment by the way (but trying to learn)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It's a direct swap, the hubs are the same, just different wheels laced to them

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You'll need to run the SM rotor on the S wheels, but besides that, bolt on.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Anyone have a stock DRZ pipe / midpipe they want to sell for cheap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah, actually. My DRZ came with the stock pipe and tires off the bike, among other things.

• Locked thread