Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

The fact that he felt the need to even reply to that tweet demonstrates just how much of a massive tool he is. He wants people to be aware of the fact that he could have donated the card, AND aware of the fact that he chose not to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Which is the worse Peter King: the sportswriter or the lawmaker?

Also what kind of weirdo feels the need to hand over a $10 gift card to a guy who can wipe his rear end with $100 bills? If you're gonna give Peter King anything, get him a book on how not to be a lovely writer with garbage opinions or something.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 8, 2013

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

In his defense how do you "donate" a 10$ gift card? :colbert:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

commy gun posted:

In his defense how do you "donate" a 10$ gift card? :colbert:

Hand it to a poor person I guess?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

See homeless guy, hand it to him and say "you stink less than my weekly article does."

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

haljordan posted:

I think lawmaker is 100% self aware, he knows he's an rear end in a top hat. Sportswriter is completely lacking in that department, he thinks he's a good guy and doesn't recognize what a twat he's being when he brags about people giving him freebies while millions of people can't find work.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Didn't King one time express shock and dismay that a homeless guy had asked him for $5? $5?!??!

...or was that one of us parodying him, it all runs together

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
"“Hey, cracker,” Delmas often says to Scheffler inside the Lions practice facility.

“How’s my n—–?” Scheffler replies.

Delmas is black. Scheffler is white."

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Rap posted:

Didn't King one time express shock and dismay that a homeless guy had asked him for $5? $5?!??!

...or was that one of us parodying him, it all runs together

You cannot parody King, you can only give him ideas

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Where Johnny Football is compared to Rosa Parks,

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/johnny-manziel-case-was-tipping-point-in-ncaa-hypocrisy-080813

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005

This is the same author who two years ago wrote a column where she likened Terrelle Pryor to a terrorist for selling stuff and breaking NCAA rules, and wrote to "stop with the 'he’s a catalyst for change' meme."

So yea, maybe she should make up her mind about which extreme of loving stupid she wants to skew towards.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

warheadr posted:

This is the same author who two years ago wrote a column where she likened Terrelle Pryor to a terrorist for selling stuff and breaking NCAA rules, and wrote to "stop with the 'he’s a catalyst for change' meme."

So yea, maybe she should make up her mind about which extreme of loving stupid she wants to skew towards.

I have a feeling she will always skew towards the lighter end of the spectrum.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Do other team's beat writers ridicule players with traumatic brain injuries? Ours do. He's referring to Joe McKnight who's been forced to sit out lately with recurring migraines and dizziness caused by a concussion.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

@SI_PeterKing
I was out of line for my question to Bernie Kosar here Saturday. My fault--no one else's. Will be writing about it @theMMQB Tuesday.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Seriously? Because today he said...

Peter King posted:

Kosar’s a good guy, and I have always liked him. But I found the comments pretty far over the top and asked rhetorically, on Twitter, whether Kosar had been drinking. Which brought on a raft of criticism from the Twitterverse, saying I’d gone over the top. I don’t think I was over the top, but many of you felt I’d gone too far given the sea of trouble Kosar has had in his personal life. (None of which, from what I can tell, involve treatment for alcohol, or any admission of alcoholism.) My point was, I think there’s a way to be critical of players and teams, and analysts should definitely do that. But Kosar went too far, in my opinion. And not just mine. Kosar called Rams coach Jeff Fisher Sunday to apologize, and Browns CEO Joe Banner said Sunday the Browns “don’t condone the personal and unprofessional approach” Kosar used.

Which reads as a pretty fake apology.

midwat
May 6, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I don't even think you could categorize that as an apology whatsoever. It's more like a "some people thought I was wrong, but there are big-name people who thought I was right, so there."

Of course, PK could've set out to write an apology, then realized he hadn't dropped a name in a while, then started thinking about craft beer and then started thinking about why we haven't been to Mars yet, which is weird guys, am I right?

Get your act together, NASA.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

Ozu posted:

Do other team's beat writers ridicule players with traumatic brain injuries? Ours do. He's referring to Joe McKnight who's been forced to sit out lately with recurring migraines and dizziness caused by a concussion.

Holy poo poo. I've been following some of the Jets beat writers on twitter lately for some reason. Good god they are unprofessional, let alone unfeeling.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I had to permanently mute Cimini because people kept retweeting his awfulness into my timeline. I wish I saved this quote but someone a couple years ago said that the Jets have the most miserable core of beat guys of any team on the planet (i.e., not the people like Jenny or Conor Orr that rotated through for a season or two and moved onto less green pastures).

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I wonder if on some level everyone employed to write about sports in New York internalizes the 'it's so much tougher to play here under the bright lights' narrative and ends up being the most bitter, negative person possible as a result. Because it sure as poo poo seems that way from the outside.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

jeffersonlives posted:

I had to permanently mute Cimini because people kept retweeting his awfulness into my timeline. I wish I saved this quote but someone a couple years ago said that the Jets have the most miserable core of beat guys of any team on the planet (i.e., not the people like Jenny or Conor Orr that rotated through for a season or two and moved onto less green pastures).

After reading a couple more blurbs from Cimini, I believe you. I just... drat.

He really doesn't want to stop making fun of McKnight right now and it's totally out of line.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Manish Mehta's pretty good

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Manish is decent when he's not writing anonymously sourced clickbait Jerry Springer op-eds and hit pieces, which because he works for the Daily News, he's asked to do pretty regularly. He does have quite a few connections in the lockerroom though.

I like Mike Sielski although he doesn't cover the Jets exclusively for the WSJ. Kim Martin is terrible. Brian Costello is just a guy. RIP Jenny Vrentas.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Really, King? How hard was this?

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories...scathed-349253/

quote:

He speaks with a slur and admits there has been drinking and pain medication in his past, but says the only thing he's addicted to is football.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Another example for the "Peter King is a dumb lazy shitstain" file.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Manish isn't getting the scoops he'd gotten during the past few years between Pettine leaving and Idzik trying to run a Belichick style ship, which has meant a lot more op-eds and a lot less interesting stuff.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

haljordan posted:

I used to live in the Congressman's district, so it's a huge push. I did like how the Congressman threw a fit over Sandy relief after the fiscal cliff was avoided, though.

Also, I give Manish credit because of all the people I follow he was the first to suggest a special Obama press conference one Sunday night was about the death of Bin Laden.

And Hugh Douglas was just fired from ESPN for calling Michael Smith an Uncle Tom.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Vertical Lime posted:

I used to live in the Congressman's district, so it's a huge push. I did like how the Congressman threw a fit over Sandy relief after the fiscal cliff was avoided, though.

Also, I give Manish credit because of all the people I follow he was the first to suggest a special Obama press conference one Sunday night was about the death of Bin Laden.

And Hugh Douglas was just fired from ESPN for calling Michael Smith an Uncle Tom.

Tweet from Douglas: "I am very disappointed to be leaving ESPN and will have more to say about this situation and my future at the appropriate time."

Everyone who gets fired for saying/doing something completely indefensibly dumb always says "I'm going to tell my side later!!", but later never comes. Why not talk now, Hugh? ESPN already shitcanned you.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 13, 2013

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.
Crossposting from Waaah in the N/V thread

quote:

Last Thursday, as an analyst for the Browns’ TV crew in the St. Louis-Cleveland preseason game, Kosar called the Rams’ receivers “horrible.’’ That included Tavon Austin, the top receiver picked in the 2013 draft, who was taking an NFL field for the first time. Kosar said their parents “would be embarrassed’’ if they were watching the game. Kosar ridiculed Rams backup QB Kellen Clemens, following up a comment by his play-by-play man about Clemens meeting the Pope by saying, “Bless me Father for I have sinned. I have to watch him the whole fourth quarter.”

I was at the Rams’ headquarters Saturday on my tour of training camps, but I didn’t hear about the story till the evening, when The MMQB team was en route to the next stop, Kansas City. I found Kosar’s comments to be over the top—very surprising for a former NFL quarterback who was watching the first preseason game. Saying the parents of the players would be embarrassed if they were watching? And the religion reference? I thought it was wrong. And so I tweeted, “My question for Kosar after comments in Cle-STL preseason game: Were you drinking? Good guy. But waaay over the top here.”

I was trying to be funny in an unfunny situation. Of course, I didn’t think Kosar had been drinking. It was hyperbole. I should have just said, “What were you thinking?”

On Sunday, the Browns stated that they “don’t condone the personal and unprofessional approach’’ Kosar used in the game. Kosar called Rams coach Jeff Fisher and apologized for what he’d said.

I thought it was over—but the Twitterverse didn’t. You slammed me for asking Kosar the drinking question, for being Fisher’s lackey, for having the same agent (Marvin Demoff) as Fisher. My first reaction was: Kosar’s the one who erred here. I’ll be damned if I’ll admit I was wrong. But after being off the grid for most of Monday at Vikings’ camp, the more I thought about it, the more I started thinking I was just as wrong for jumping on Kosar with a bad joke that some would take as me accusing him of drinking during the game. And so, Monday evening, I tweeted that I was wrong for an insensitive tweet—and I was. No excuses. I could have been critical of Kosar without being crass. Altogether my fault.
There are scores on Twitter who wanted their pound of flesh from me even after I said I was wrong, which is their right. The bile was subhuman, but I think overall Twitter served a good purpose here. It was right that so many of you who read me and follow me called me out on this; in the old days, pre-social media, I’d likely have forgotten about it. You didn’t let me. It’s good that we have our readers/followers/listeners to remind us that we ultimately are reporting and opining for them. None of that should change the stories we report, but hall monitors can be good when our opinions cross the line.

About my relationship with the Rams: This is the third time I’ve written about this, and as I’ve said in the past, it’s your right to stop reading me or following me if you’re offended by the fact that I have the same agent as Jeff Fisher … and the agent, Marvin Demoff, is the father of Rams COO Kevin Demoff. I’m not the only one in the business with an agent who also represents people in football. And I don’t apologize for it. For those who think Fisher had something to do with my tweet about Kosar, he didn’t; we never spoke about it, and still haven’t. If you think it colors my judgment when it comes to criticizing or not criticizing people such as Fisher, that’s your right. I believe in being up front with you when there’s an issue like this, and I’ll continue to be that way.
Last Thursday, as an analyst for the Browns’ TV crew in the St. Louis-Cleveland preseason game, Kosar called the Rams’ receivers “horrible.’’ That included Tavon Austin, the top receiver picked in the 2013 draft, who was taking an NFL field for the first time. Kosar said their parents “would be embarrassed’’ if they were watching the game. Kosar ridiculed Rams backup QB Kellen Clemens, following up a comment by his play-by-play man about Clemens meeting the Pope by saying, “Bless me Father for I have sinned. I have to watch him the whole fourth quarter.”

I was at the Rams’ headquarters Saturday on my tour of training camps, but I didn’t hear about the story till the evening, when The MMQB team was en route to the next stop, Kansas City. I found Kosar’s comments to be over the top—very surprising for a former NFL quarterback who was watching the first preseason game. Saying the parents of the players would be embarrassed if they were watching? And the religion reference? I thought it was wrong. And so I tweeted, “My question for Kosar after comments in Cle-STL preseason game: Were you drinking? Good guy. But waaay over the top here.”

I was trying to be funny in an unfunny situation. Of course, I didn’t think Kosar had been drinking. It was hyperbole. I should have just said, “What were you thinking?”

On Sunday, the Browns stated that they “don’t condone the personal and unprofessional approach’’ Kosar used in the game. Kosar called Rams coach Jeff Fisher and apologized for what he’d said.

I thought it was over—but the Twitterverse didn’t. You slammed me for asking Kosar the drinking question, for being Fisher’s lackey, for having the same agent (Marvin Demoff) as Fisher. My first reaction was: Kosar’s the one who erred here. I’ll be damned if I’ll admit I was wrong. But after being off the grid for most of Monday at Vikings’ camp, the more I thought about it, the more I started thinking I was just as wrong for jumping on Kosar with a bad joke that some would take as me accusing him of drinking during the game. And so, Monday evening, I tweeted that I was wrong for an insensitive tweet—and I was. No excuses. I could have been critical of Kosar without being crass. Altogether my fault.
There are scores on Twitter who wanted their pound of flesh from me even after I said I was wrong, which is their right. The bile was subhuman, but I think overall Twitter served a good purpose here. It was right that so many of you who read me and follow me called me out on this; in the old days, pre-social media, I’d likely have forgotten about it. You didn’t let me. It’s good that we have our readers/followers/listeners to remind us that we ultimately are reporting and opining for them. None of that should change the stories we report, but hall monitors can be good when our opinions cross the line.

About my relationship with the Rams: This is the third time I’ve written about this, and as I’ve said in the past, it’s your right to stop reading me or following me if you’re offended by the fact that I have the same agent as Jeff Fisher … and the agent, Marvin Demoff, is the father of Rams COO Kevin Demoff. I’m not the only one in the business with an agent who also represents people in football. And I don’t apologize for it. For those who think Fisher had something to do with my tweet about Kosar, he didn’t; we never spoke about it, and still haven’t. If you think it colors my judgment when it comes to criticizing or not criticizing people such as Fisher, that’s your right. I believe in being up front with you when there’s an issue like this, and I’ll continue to be that way.

Bolding mine because that phrase is the funniest loving thing I have read in months.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

MonsterWalk posted:

Bolding mine because that phrase is the funniest loving thing I have read in months.

You can insult me.

You can insult my writing.

But god dammit you do NOT insult Allagash brewing company

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
King doesn't understand all of Northeast Ohio if he thinks the Catholic line was anything but a lapsed Catholic joke.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Grittybeard posted:

I stumbled across this glancing at the AFC West blog on ESPN:

It kinda sounds like ESPN is just going to hire their own beat writers for every team. I want to think this comes out of a desire to improve their coverage but because it's ESPN part of my brain won't stop screaming that it's just a way to avoid crediting anyone else on any NFL story ever (while still stealing said stories from other people) :tinfoil:

They picked up John Keim to cover the Redskins. Keim is by far the best beat writer in the DC area, hands down.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Chichevache posted:

Same here. I'd like to once again share this excellent article on how the read option may be handled by NFL teams this year. They interviewed the Stanford defensive coordinator responsible for shutting down Oregon, even though not one of his players was drafted. It is very interesting reading how a bunch of scrubs stopped the best offense in college football. (Eat a dick, Aggie.)
http://mmqb.si.com/2013/07/26/derek-mason-stanford-read-option/

That was a really good and informative read. Thank you for posting it (even if this is supposed to be the lovely NFL writing thread).

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Rap posted:

King doesn't understand all of Northeast Ohio if he thinks the Catholic line was anything but a lapsed Catholic joke.

"King doesn't understand ___________"

World's easiest mad-lib

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

predicto posted:

They picked up John Keim to cover the Redskins. Keim is by far the best beat writer in the DC area, hands down.

I really loved the job Dan Graziano was doing with the division overall, but I don't mind Keim.

The only thing is that those division updates were the only time I'd really find out what's happening with those three terrible jerk teams, I doubt I'll go to their pages much if I can get my Skins news in one place.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Maybe Peter King was thinking of the bile I sent him:

quote:

My question for @SI_PeterKing after everything he writes: Were you sucking on a frozen poo poo log like it was a dildo

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Rap posted:

ahahahahahahaha

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Rap posted:

You are a beautiful human being in exactly the way that Peter King is not.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Rap posted:

bwhahaha. holy poo poo that rules

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

aww yiss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007