Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zarron
Sep 1, 2005

At this point, this is beyond laughter and now officially just sad. :(

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

No, it's still pretty funny.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Seriously how do you gently caress up a system launch to a point where almost no one knows it's a new system? How did that even come to be?

Edit: and then how do you gently caress it up so much that no one knows what it is a year after it's released? This has to be just about the worst marketing failure I have ever seen.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 9, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The best thing about this sign is that there's no way to interpret it other than people are returning Wii U games that they mistakenly bought for their Wii.

So even Wii owners are confused.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They should have called it by it's proper name, the "Super Nintendo Revolution". There you go Nintendo. You can have that one for free and you can fire your marketing team that is so intent on naming your consoles after things that sound like confusing bathroom jokes.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Quest For Glory II posted:

The best thing about this sign is that there's no way to interpret it other than people are returning Wii U games that they mistakenly bought for their Wii.

So even Wii owners are confused.

They are probably pissed that weird tablet controller is always sold out too and they have to buy a new Wii to get one.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

They should have called it by it's proper name, the "Super Nintendo Revolution". There you go Nintendo. You can have that one for free and you can fire your marketing team that is so intent on naming your consoles after things that sound like confusing bathroom jokes.

If they rebrand it, they won't just call it the Wii 2- that would be too easy. How about... WiiWii?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Have they ever explained why it wasn't called the Wii 2?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Toady posted:

The same reason they didn't just make a machine with modern components and a normal controller.

That would have made sense. :v:

(No, there's really no rhyme or reason for the things Nintendo does any more.)

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Soul Glo posted:

The same reason they didn't just make a machine with modern components and a normal controller.

But guys, Mario!

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Toady posted:

I seem to remember a rambling speech by... who, Reggie? when it was announced where he went on about how the Wii was about 'We' and the U was about 'You' while showing off the Miiverse. I might be completely off base, but I'm pretty sure it's a reference to it's tolerable-by-console-standards internet connectivity.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Toady posted:

I'd be willing to bet it was a sad attempt at milking Apples success in giving devices really stupid names and making bank off of it, despite whatever Reggie says.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

One and the Same posted:

I seem to remember a rambling speech by... who, Reggie? when it was announced where he went on about how the Wii was about 'We' and the U was about 'You' while showing off the Miiverse. I might be completely off base, but I'm pretty sure it's a reference to it's tolerable-by-console-standards internet connectivity.

I don't think it was Reggie but you are spot on here. It was at the very first reveal where they only showed the tablet controller and name. Wii was about group play and families so it was renamed to Wii because We play together. The Wii U is designed for personal experiences and hardcore gamers or You. You can still play as a group so We You / Wii U. You know like a siren.

Even then people thought the controller might also be the system and the console itself was seen in a background shot of a separate promo video. What a bad introduction.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Wouldn't it be funny if nintendo actually made a pokemon mmo like everyone and their dog has been asking for decades, and it didn't turn out as cool as the idea was made to sound?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Ka0 posted:

Wouldn't it be funny if nintendo actually made a pokemon mmo like everyone and their dog has been asking for decades, and it didn't turn out as cool as the idea was made to sound?

It will never be as good as anyone would imagine it, especially if it is Nintendo's first MMO. Maybe they could get some outside help and it could be as good as Dragon Quest X or Monster Hunter 3 #20.

There is always Pokemon Rumble and Tretta until then.

Pokemon Snap 2 please. Let me use the tablet as a camera.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Ka0 posted:

Whether it succeeds or fails, the results would be spectacular. :allears:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I remember arguing in the e3 thread because of how bad of a job Nintendo did. They really came off as "Here's a
New tablet controller called the Wii U!" They didn't show the console in the video and everyone was like "Wait what" immediately after.

Nintendo is also not going to rebrand it. Just leave that idea. They have too much "pride" to make that big of a change.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

It seems outrageous that Nintendo would rename the system. What precedent is there for something like that?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Sir John Feelgood posted:

It seems outrageous that Nintendo would rename the system. What precedent is there for something like that?

The PlayStation 3's rebranding to PS3, I guess. This was when they brought out the Slim model, and changed the logo, name, and advertising campaign to try and disassociate itself from the negative press it got when it was released.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

I'd be willing to bet it was a sad attempt at milking Apples success in giving devices really stupid names and making bank off of it, despite whatever Reggie says.

But even Apple numbers their devices e.g. iPhone 5, iPad 2

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

That loving Sned posted:

The PlayStation 3's rebranding to PS3, I guess. This was when they brought out the Slim model, and changed the logo, name, and advertising campaign to try and disassociate itself from the negative press it got when it was released.

That's really not a rebranding though. PS2 was established as a synonym years before it.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

The Dave posted:

That's really not a rebranding though. PS2 was established as a synonym years before it.

They went as far as changing the "frame" on the PS3 game boxarts though, you gotta admit that's pretty huge. And PS2 was never printed on anything Sony produced.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Do I? Because I don't feel so.

When people say rebrand the Wii U were talking brand new name and everything. Also as Sony moved to PS3 didn't all their TV spots still say "Playstation" ?

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.

Katana Gomai posted:

They went as far as changing the "frame" on the PS3 game boxarts though, you gotta admit that's pretty huge. And PS2 was never printed on anything Sony produced.

Errr...

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

The Dave posted:

Do I? Because I don't feel so.

When people say rebrand the Wii U were talking brand new name and everything. Also as Sony moved to PS3 didn't all their TV spots still say "Playstation" ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ONtyilKg8Q "Only on PS3." If you're going to be snarky, at least be correct.

OK, that was pretty dumb, although it does say "Playstation 2" under it, and I think everywhere else they used the stylized logo, too.

vvv Whatever you want to call it I guess. vvv

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Aug 9, 2013

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Katana Gomai posted:

That's not really a rebrand so much as it is Sony going back to a more consistent font for the brand.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Nintendo is pretty stubborn, they're not gonna change the name now. Even though Wii2 is really all they would need to change it to.

zarron
Sep 1, 2005

Macaluso posted:

Nintendo is pretty stubborn, they're not gonna change the name now. Even though Wii2 is really all they would need to change it to.

Couldn't hurt to try even though I think at this point it would lead to more confusion.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The only good time to change the name was e3 2012. It's far too late for that now.

They can eliminate confusion by building the WiiU into a handheld, combining it with the 3DS brand, and call it the 3DUS, and them there will be no confusion. Just make sure to have two packages, one that looks exactly like a Wii, and one that looks exactly like a 3DS.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Soul Glo posted:

They didn't make a machine with modern components because it would have cost too much money; as a consequence they created the Gamepad in order to make their system unique compared to the more powerful upcoming consoles.

Was this the right decision? That's worth arguing. But it's not as if Nintendo is being managed by total idiots. Institutional stubbornness is the bigger issue at hand rather than laziness or incompetence.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

NESguerilla posted:

Seriously how do you gently caress up a system launch to a point where almost no one knows it's a new system? How did that even come to be?

Edit: and then how do you gently caress it up so much that no one knows what it is a year after it's released? This has to be just about the worst marketing failure I have ever seen.

This is not a problem self contained to the Wii U, you see this all the time. How many times have you rented a Bluray disc and gotten the warnings about it not working in a regular DVD player? I've seen it on pretty much every Redbox machine, and at my local video store (when it was still around...) they'd be required to ask you every time you rented a Bluray. And it has a totally unique and different name, with a different sized box with a blue case!

Same thing happened with the 360 and 3DS during the first year.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Strange Matter posted:

They didn't make a machine with modern components because it would have cost too much money; as a consequence they created the Gamepad in order to make their system unique compared to the more powerful upcoming consoles.

Was this the right decision? That's worth arguing. But it's not as if Nintendo is being managed by total idiots. Institutional stubbornness is the bigger issue at hand rather than laziness or incompetence.

So instead they make a machine with hardware that's already outdated with a Gamepad that serves no purpose other than to jack up the price of the whole system to a laughable point.

As far as i'm concerned, Nintendo's "institutional stubbornness" is just a nice way to say idiocy. Nintendo refuses to acknowledge or admit that the expectations of the gamer has changed, and as long as they keep making business decisions with the mindset that either we don't matter or that we'll happily eat garbage because it has a Nintendo logo on it, they're eventually going to destroy themselves.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Katana Gomai posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ONtyilKg8Q "Only on PS3." If you're going to be snarky, at least be correct.

OK, that was pretty dumb, although it does say "Playstation 2" under it, and I think everywhere else they used the stylized logo, too.

vvv Whatever you want to call it I guess. vvv

I was thinking of the "it does ____" commercials. Wasn't really being snarky, I just don't see the whole thing as "rebranding" unless they 100% scrubbed "Playstation" from everything and you never heard them say it again. I think the PS3 stuff was just a creative teams take on a new campaign.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Astro7x posted:

This is not a problem self contained to the Wii U, you see this all the time. How many times have you rented a Bluray disc and gotten the warnings about it not working in a regular DVD player? I've seen it on pretty much every Redbox machine, and at my local video store (when it was still around...) they'd be required to ask you every time you rented a Bluray. And it has a totally unique and different name, with a different sized box with a blue case!

Same thing happened with the 360 and 3DS during the first year.

I dunno, they're called Blu-rays, not "DVD U"s. More of the blame falls on Nintendo in this case.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

illcendiary posted:

I dunno, they're called Blu-rays, not "DVD U"s. More of the blame falls on Nintendo in this case.

Oh man if HD-DVD won the format war...

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

illcendiary posted:

If they called the system the "Nintendo Brand New Console" people would still make the mistake because they are idiots. Though imagine the mass confusion 6 years from now...

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Is the problem letters vs. numbers?

I don't think people had a problem confusing the PlayStation with the PlayStation 2 or the Xbox with the Xbox 360. What is it about the Wii and the Wii U that's so incredibly confusing to people?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wonder if its an issue where in Japanese adding a character or symbol to a word can vastly change it's meaning, but in English not so much. I don't know anything about Japanese just some rudimentary Korean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

The Dave posted:

I was thinking of the "it does ____" commercials. Wasn't really being snarky, I just don't see the whole thing as "rebranding" unless they 100% scrubbed "Playstation" from everything and you never heard them say it again. I think the PS3 stuff was just a creative teams take on a new campaign.

Yeah they also say "Playstation" several times in all those commercials. The PS3 was a subtle "rebrand" if you can even call it that, it was more like a new logo and ad campaign. but the Wii U has been so misunderstood it might require something more drastic. The system hardware design itself would be a good start as it looks so much like the Wii that might be where a lot of the confusion is coming from.

• Locked thread