Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

ExplodingChef posted:

This one might be a bit of a long shot, given the little bits of vague memories I have, but here goes:

Saw it on TV in what would have been the mid to possibly late 80's.

*May* have been a made-for-tv kids (teen?) movie of the kind popular in that time period.

Involved kids being trapped in a basement. They may have broken into an old house?

Vague memories of them trying to get out through a too-high window.

The thing that really sticks in my brain for reasons I can't figure out is the ending music -- the best description I can come up with from what little I remember is a cross between "Suicide Is Painless" and some of the music from underappreciated 80's Chuck Norris film "Silent Rage."

Yes, I realize this is the dumbest mish-mash of vagueness ever, but this one has been bugging me for months, no idea what jogged my memory.

The Haunted Mansion Mystery was an ABC Weekend Special. I'm pretty sure that's what you're thinking of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingChef
May 25, 2005

Deathscorts are the true American heroes.

Beerdeer posted:

The Haunted Mansion Mystery was an ABC Weekend Special. I'm pretty sure that's what you're thinking of.

Yes! Yes! And available on youtube.

Now this will stop bugging the hell out of me, thank you :)

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I asked about this movie a few years ago and stupidly forgot to note it down anywhere after someone answered, and now I remember even fewer details.

Anyway, it's a Dutch or maybe Scandinavian movie, kind of a bleak family drama (maybe?) with an elder patriarch type guy and his grown children and the house burns down at the end in a pretty amazing shot (that I remember reading was messed up the first time so they used the very last of their budget to rebuild the house and burn it down again)

e: If I hadn't been too lazy to google 'foreign film house burns down at the end' before making this post, I would have found that it is The Sacrifice

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 4, 2013

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Origami Dali posted:

^^Sounds a lot like Northfork, though that was 2003.

That was it, thanks!

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
I'm trying to remember a movie, but can only really identify one scene. A teenage-ish suburban white girl pulls her heroin kit out of some possession in her room and shoots up. That's literally all I remember, but hopefully that's not a tired cinema trope.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Network42 posted:

I'm trying to remember a movie, but can only really identify one scene. A teenage-ish suburban white girl pulls her heroin kit out of some possession in her room and shoots up. That's literally all I remember, but hopefully that's not a tired cinema trope.

Sounds like Traffic.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

No, the whole scene takes place in her bedroom. Also intravenous, not smoking.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
This might be a tough one or a really easy one. It's on the tip of my tongue. There's some movie or TV show where a character talks about once doing a character in a play with limp (obviously a nod to people doing Richard III with a limp). It's a character in a play that wouldn't necessarily need a limp whatsoever. I wanna say the line is from a Christopher Guest movie, but I don't think it is.

Captain Equinox
Sep 15, 2005

By day a mild-mannered college professor, by night Kiki, go-go dancer at the Pussycat Club. But twice a year, he's... CAPTAIN EQUINOX!

codyclarke posted:

This might be a tough one or a really easy one. It's on the tip of my tongue. There's some movie or TV show where a character talks about once doing a character in a play with limp (obviously a nod to people doing Richard III with a limp). It's a character in a play that wouldn't necessarily need a limp whatsoever. I wanna say the line is from a Christopher Guest movie, but I don't think it is.

Isn't there a scene in Tootsie where Dustin Hoffman is talking with his agent about jobs he's missed out on, and one was an argument he got into with a director about a character's limp?

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

I can wet the bed in the shape of Abraham Lincoln

codyclarke posted:

Maybe Melinda and Melinda?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

ProfessorMurder posted:

Maybe Melinda and Melinda?

That's it! Thanks, it was driving me crazy.

Heisanevilgenius
Sep 2, 2007
Okay, this may be a made-for-TV movie. I'm not sure.

As part of a blackmail scheme, this woman is drugged and then two men strip her naked and take pictures of her in compromising positions. After they finish, one of them rapes her, then they send the pictures to her husband, threatening to send them to the public. She and a friend (who might be a private detective) team up to track down the criminals and bring them to justice. I remember she has this shotgun which only holds a single shell and part of the tension of the climactic battle was that after firing she had to reload before one of the bad guys caught up to her. I think it was on a staircase.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Timeframe: late 70s early 90s

Box art boasted bans in like 40 countries. i think there is a half naked woman with a sheet and fire and maybe a pentagram.

The movie its actually pretty tame. Early on its medieval times then I'm pretty sure it went to the present. Satanic rituals and such. I remember some torture stuff i think Chinese water drip. Thanks

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

jimcunningham posted:

Box art boasted bans in like 40 countries. i think there is a half naked woman with a sheet and fire and maybe a pentagram.

The movie its actually pretty tame. Early on its medieval times then I'm pretty sure it went to the present. Satanic rituals and such. I remember some torture stuff i think Chinese water drip. Thanks

There's no bit set in modern times, but this kinda sounds like Ken Russell's The Devils.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Heisanevilgenius posted:

Okay, this may be a made-for-TV movie. I'm not sure.

As part of a blackmail scheme, this woman is drugged and then two men strip her naked and take pictures of her in compromising positions. After they finish, one of them rapes her, then they send the pictures to her husband, threatening to send them to the public. She and a friend (who might be a private detective) team up to track down the criminals and bring them to justice. I remember she has this shotgun which only holds a single shell and part of the tension of the climactic battle was that after firing she had to reload before one of the bad guys caught up to her. I think it was on a staircase.

There was a made for tv movie in 1991 called Blackmail that might fit the bill. I don't remember the shotgun scene you are referencing, and some of the plot details are a bit different. It also has so many twists that M. Night shayamalan can't keep up.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Timeframe: Last 4 years

Style: Documentary / Sport

Focus: High-speed group bicycling on streets and wilderness through a helmet cam system.

Notes: I only remember a trailer with fast-cut scenes of riding with up tempo music and a claim that this was a composition of the best helmet-cam videos with only the most "elite" riders going on the most "awesome" trips.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ynohtna posted:

There's no bit set in modern times, but this kinda sounds like Ken Russell's The Devils.

Nope. its more campy and terrible than that.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

jimcunningham posted:

Nope. its more campy and terrible than that.

The Holy Mountain? Though I don't know if I'd call it terrible. I don't know what I'd call it.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

jimcunningham posted:

It might be Make Them Die Slowly. My phone is being dumb, but if you can't find it on IMDB, it was also called Cannibal Ferox.

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!

jimcunningham posted:

The "Banned in 40 countries" part makes me think of Cannibal Holocaust, while the torture reminds me of Mark Of The Devil, though there are no modern day scenes. Both of them were on the "Video Nasties" list.

Edit: I think Faces Of Death also bragged of being banned in X amount of countries.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

jimcunningham posted:

This could be one of the Witchcraft movies. There's like seven of them though so good luck. :)

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mark of the Devil is 99%. I just can't find the box art to officially confirm. Thanks.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

jimcunningham posted:

Mark of the Devil is 99%. I just can't find the box art to officially confirm. Thanks.

It's more commonly released in English today under the title Hexen, try looking for that.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

I suspect that Imasalmon is right and jimcunningham was thinking of the "banned in 31 countries" cover of Make Them Die Slowly a.k.a. Cannibal Ferox, but maybe not

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nope. Through a friend i was able to remember that several movies were mislabeled at the rental store. Rubber face was doing tune on maple drive. I spit on your grave was death blow a tv movie with Jerry van dyke. And whatever this movie was, was mark of the devil. Now i got to find out what the movie was supposed to be. Thanks!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

jimcunningham posted:

I spit on your grave was death blow a tv movie with Jerry van dyke.

Death Blow! When someone tries to blow you up; not because of who you are, but because of different reasons altogether! :v:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm trying to remember a cartoon from the 70s or 80s, all I remember is it was in a kind of Sergio Argones style and had a goony dragon who got his arm cut off. I feel like it's probably well known but google isn't helping.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Scene popped into my head that I can't place. Movie is probably from 80s or maybe early 90s. Main character is slim, Corey Haim-type build and has to find a football player who is running stadium steps for a punishment (but actually walking them, cause he's been doing it for awhile and is exhausted but not showing it), with I think a big log over his shoulders for additional weight. Movie is possibly in the vein of Just One of the Guys / Can't Buy Me Love / License To Drive and in fact might actually be one of those, haven't seen them since release.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

Scene popped into my head that I can't place. Movie is probably from 80s or maybe early 90s. Main character is slim, Corey Haim-type build and has to find a football player who is running stadium steps for a punishment (but actually walking them, cause he's been doing it for awhile and is exhausted but not showing it), with I think a big log over his shoulders for additional weight. Movie is possibly in the vein of Just One of the Guys / Can't Buy Me Love / License To Drive and in fact might actually be one of those, haven't seen them since release.

Vision Quest

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Yes I'm pretty sure you're right, thanks!

e: Confirmed! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BiC3OUNFqE

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Aug 10, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

regulargonzalez posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoBIR2_n8Z0
Brock Lesnar versus The Rock, 2002

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Other than missing on every single point, that's pretty close.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
I'll be greedy and post two.

1. I watched this really shockingly bad low budget horror on Rental VHS, back in about 2000/2001 or so. It had a bunch of teens having a house party. I think they were daring each other to do scary things, and then one of them disappeared up to the attic and put on an old woman mask and then started killing everyone. I really want to say it was called The Granny or something similar; I've checked out a few clips of another film called The Granny but that didn't appear to be it.

2. A film that was on UK TV in the late 80s or early 90s. It had a bunch of vigilante kids on BMXes and there was this torture device the bad guys had where they'd hold your hand under this big sort of field generator and it'd make insects (or fire/heat?) appear on your hand until they let you take it out. I'm more than willing to be told I'm thinking of two separate movies.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Yoshimo posted:

2. A film that was on UK TV in the late 80s or early 90s. It had a bunch of vigilante kids on BMXes and there was this torture device the bad guys had where they'd hold your hand under this big sort of field generator and it'd make insects (or fire/heat?) appear on your hand until they let you take it out. I'm more than willing to be told I'm thinking of two separate movies.

The film with the torture thing is Solarbabies
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091981/

In it the kids all go around on roller skates. You can kind of see the hand scene in this trailer remake thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3AENOLgxaU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Yoshimo posted:

I'll be greedy and post two.

1. I watched this really shockingly bad low budget horror on Rental VHS, back in about 2000/2001 or so. It had a bunch of teens having a house party. I think they were daring each other to do scary things, and then one of them disappeared up to the attic and put on an old woman mask and then started killing everyone. I really want to say it was called The Granny or something similar; I've checked out a few clips of another film called The Granny but that didn't appear to be it.

There's a DTV flick called "Granny" from 1999, which is a different film from the DTV flick "The Granny" from 1995.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Late 80's early 90's. Horror movie. I remember some college aged kids exploring ancient castles with witches in them. Only scene I really remember is one of the dudes throws a knife at a witch. She stops it mid-air and magically sends it flying right into his forehead.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
AzureSkys and Origami Deli - bingo on both counts! Many thanks!

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008
Alright, Film Goons! My girlfriend is going CRAZY trying to remember this movie, and one of our resident Film Goon nerd friends couldn't figure it out either, despite having seen it with her. Here's what she says:

"I remember it being a 70s horror film based in a rural(ish) or suburban town. It involved young adult female twins, one of which stole the identity of the other, eventually killing the boyfriend (and some other people). A lot of the plot surrounded a pool as well as a bar. There was a bit of nudity in it. (I'm starting to second guess the twin thing- may have been sisters at least?)

I also remember the pool being drained and I think one of the twins started painting it/going crazy.

I watched it about five years ago on DVD."

What say you?

Starblind
Apr 4, 2007

Encomium in colour

firebad57 posted:

What say you?

The plot sounds a lot like the Margot Kidder movie Sisters, I don't remember a pool but it's been awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

A lot of that sounds like 3 Women