Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I hope this game sells about a billion copies.

I also wish the cooking section featured a Cooking Mama with a fantastic rack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

CrashCat posted:

There's the spices and the bottle, I don't think you do anything particular though. Maybe the food has different attributes but from what I've seen you can just put the bottle and the spice on anything.

You can also add the vegetables(?) near the bottle and spice to dishes. No idea if it's actually worth doing.

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport

Comrade Flynn posted:

The last thing I read (in this thread?) was that this game had made about 12-13 times its budget back before it was released outside of Japan. This makes a lot of sense if you consider that it had a budget of about $1 million and sold out its initial 300,000 copy allotment over there.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I love hearing that games like this do really well. It is so fun and different while being really similar to older stuff at the same time! Really fresh!

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

NESguerilla posted:

I'm really on the fence about this one. On one hand it looks completely loving awesome, on the other hand, besides looking really beautiful I thought Muramasa had really dull gameplay and that's the only other Vanillaware game I have played. That wouldn't bother me enough to not try Dragon's Crown, but Muramasa was also a critical/fan hit, so it makes me wonder if DC brings enough to the table to be worth buying for me.

I just bought and played through one of the campaigns for Muramasa last week. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but it does get repetitive fairly quickly. Dragon's Crown isn't really like that at all. The only similarity is they are both side scroller's, and they both have beautiful art styles. Dragon's Crown is through and through a better game. Get it.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
If you've ever loved any of River City Ransom, Final Fight, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, or D&D Arcade, have a PS3 and you don't own this game yet, you done hosed up.

Death Cube K
Mar 20, 2008

You're pretentious, this club sucks, I have beef. Let's fight.
Don't forget the Vita!

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012
I love having absolutely no idea how the cooking game works. I just grab anything I can and try to shove it in a pot, then spam poke everything trying to cook and eat food. First cooking game; +0 hp, second cooking game; +23 hp, still no clue what is going on. It's so nice to just be thrown into a minigame like this and figure it out yourself by trial and error rather than sitting through a tutorial.

TheRationalRedditor posted:

If you've ever loved any of River City Ransom, Final Fight, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, or D&D Arcade, have a PS3 and you don't own this game yet, you done hosed up.

Definitely true, I was even pretty hyped for this game and it actually is more fun than I expected.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I just want to go home and play this for 3 days. :f5:

What's everyones least favorite enemies? I hate the undead, any mod with bonus damage or reduce damage taken against undead are worth two mods to me. Skeletons with crossbows shoot you from the across screen while zombies hold you the gently caress down for a minute. And then there's the new undead type in hard mode argh gently caress those guys kick all undead.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

What's everyones least favorite enemies? I hate the undead, any mod with bonus damage or reduce damage taken against undead are worth two mods to me. Skeletons with crossbows shoot you from the across screen while zombies hold you the gently caress down for a minute. And then there's the new undead type in hard mode argh gently caress those guys kick all undead.

Those teleporting wizard guys are the worst. :argh:

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I really hate the little flying demons.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Undead just completely ruin my poo poo every time I try and play the game reasonably by going it alone and actually getting to see what's going on with my dwarf. Powerbomb one, throw another, then oh hey that zombie on the ground grabs you anyway :argh:

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Comrade Flynn posted:

I also wish the cooking section featured a Cooking Mama with a fantastic rack.

It would have got a sale from me at $40 if it had included the Vita version as well and offered cross play. It looks like a fun enough beat'em up game but with no demo or other features, it really is a crappy way to drop a game.

Part of me is also holding out waiting for a PC release. Any word on that or any chance this company would be interested in that? Do they make any PC games?

Also if I had to, right now I'm leaning on the vita version, any downsides to that one?

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

AxeManiac posted:

It would have got a sale from me at $40 if it had included the Vita version as well and offered cross play. It looks like a fun enough beat'em up game but with no demo or other features, it really is a crappy way to drop a game.

Part of me is also holding out waiting for a PC release. Any word on that or any chance this company would be interested in that? Do they make any PC games?

Also if I had to, right now I'm leaning on the vita version, any downsides to that one?

Since Vanillaware is a pretty small company they usually don't do ports, so I don't think a PC version would be on the cards any time soon. The only downside of the Vita version is that you don't have local 4 player co-op, but the touch screen is better implemented :) Game looks amazing either console.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I looove the teleporting wizard guys because Dwarf grabs and tosses and they are dead, next. Probably my least favorite are... well, anything you can't grab, I guess. Though the jumping fishes in the river are pretty drat annoying to try to knock away.

e: The flying demon things are really annoying when they have altars that summon then endlessly but it is really funny to just grab them and toss them five miles away while they're trying to ambush you on the flying carpet.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

I found a really good tactic against those fish as my elf - Spirit Magic. If you're in water, you make a whirlpool rather than the little tornado, and it kills them in one when they jump at you. Also on that level (Lost Woods) when you're on the boat you can do the same - summon a tornado, they jump into it and die.

Wizards die really quick too, 2 arrows or 1 charged will take them out before they can cast once.

Enemy that I can't stand would probably be I dunno, Owlbears maybe? They always seem to corner me and since they switch direction when you do and then claw you in the face, but I don't fight enough of them to remember they do this, I always get caught in it.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

If there wasnt any slowdown I would say the vita version is perfect. I can't imagine not having a touchscreen.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Using the right mouse button to click on things like portraits for reviving or collecting treasure is annoying but not a dealbreaker. I do wish they made chests/doors auto-opened by Rennie whenever you walked over them, though.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Jack Van Burace posted:

When the thief guy picks up the coins you still get them. I don't know if they trigger the skill that makes coins worth more score if he gets them, though.

You get the score, but not the heal if you have Wealth for Health, Iirc

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
How do you get extra bags for couch co-op players? I can seem to only buy bags for player 1

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Lakbay posted:

How do you get extra bags for couch co-op players? I can seem to only buy bags for player 1

Player 2/3/4 has to enter the shop themselves. Same for skills at the Adventurer's Guild.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Lakbay posted:

Pretty sure you have to get to that spot in the the story for each character separately. I really hope I'm wrong and there is another way.

^^^Edit: The bags didn't show up for our group, just the 1p character.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Emalde posted:

Player 2/3/4 has to enter the shop themselves. Same for skills at the Adventurer's Guild.

Nope, my player 2 doesn't have bags in her shop at all.

Really dumb decision if you have to replay the first 9 levels for each couch co-op player just to get extra bags.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AxeManiac posted:

Slim to none on the PC front, as for Vita, according to Vanillaware, the PS3 versions is actually a port of the Vita one, so go for it.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Yes, you must go through the story with each character to get that stuff. I found this out last night much to my dismay. I mean it's not bad going through all the stages a second time (or third or fourth depending on the level of couch co-op you have), the loot scales to level so it's not that bad. It's just a bit disheartening that they didn't program it so that if you have a set adventuring crew that everything is kind of there for all of them.

(Bags AND Runes are both per character story only, and you can only buy either when you have that character in slot 1)

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
I've played fighter to 13, elf to 11, Dwarf to 10, Amazon to 9, Sorc to 7 and Wizard to 5. I'm having a really hard time deciding who I should focus on. I've pretty much given up on the casters for now. Regenning mana is annoying.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

Syfe posted:

Yes, you must go through the story with each character to get that stuff. I found this out last night much to my dismay. I mean it's not bad going through all the stages a second time (or third or fourth depending on the level of couch co-op you have), the loot scales to level so it's not that bad. It's just a bit disheartening that they didn't program it so that if you have a set adventuring crew that everything is kind of there for all of them.

(Bags AND Runes are both per character story only, and you can only buy either when you have that character in slot 1)

How long is the single player campaign with each character? Thinking of blazing through it on easy, so I can play online.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Dastardly posted:

I've played fighter to 13, elf to 11, Dwarf to 10, Amazon to 9, Sorc to 7 and Wizard to 5. I'm having a really hard time deciding who I should focus on. I've pretty much given up on the casters for now. Regenning mana is annoying.

I'm using elf at the minute but not really for any reason other than she was the first one I picked. I really like Amazon and Fighter too but I haven't tried Dwarf yet - the first one I saw was a random that joined me and it looked loving incredible but the AI for them just dies all the time.

I really liked the Wizard too so I think that might be my second actual character just to be different.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
If you spend lots of time going through all the rooms it can take you several hours to go through the story until you unlock online, but if you blaze through only fighting what you have to you can generally make it through in a couple of hours, maybe?

e: If I recall right raising max MP by two ticks on the sorceress let me use an extra jumping fire/ice/whatever ball before needing to recharge, which might be well worth it depending on how often you need to be spamming attacks.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 10, 2013

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Any opinions on the better MP regen skill for the magic classes?
It's probably better to get concentrate, but extract has a pretty big effect on the square attack's mana restoration.

Same vein, how useful is the increase max MP skill?

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I've only really played Elf and Sorceress so far, but in response to the Sorc chat, I've found Thunderhead moderately useful? Definitely not amazing, but it's pretty funny to let loose all my casts of it against the boss of the area. :v:

So far I just have that and create food, since I'm torn on what else to get. I'm thinking skeletons and protection next.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Marogareh posted:

I really hate the little flying demons.

Only thing I've met yet that can consistently ruin my health bar. I'll be rocking along at 150% health and then bam! I've got 30 HP.

Question about Parry with the Amazon. Is it just blocking right before you get hit or blocking as you press toward the attack? Pressing forward and blocking at the wrong time seems to just send me dashing into a faceful of hurt. The timing is really hard to get because of how chaotic things get; I can't tell when an attack is going off pretty much ever.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 10, 2013

Corn Nuts
Jul 16, 2003

Pillbug

nftyw posted:

If you spend lots of time going through all the rooms it can take you several hours to go through the story until you unlock online, but if you blaze through only fighting what you have to you can generally make it through in a couple of hours, maybe?

You mention side-rooms, but are there also side quests before you unlock co-op? If you rush it, can you go back and finish the side quests with your co-op buddies?

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Corn Nuts posted:

You mention side-rooms, but are there also side quests before you unlock co-op? If you rush it, can you go back and finish the side quests with your co-op buddies?

Yes and yes. Though, quite a few quests are a real bother to do co-op, and some others require you to go solo. Keep note that you can only have around five or six quests active at any time though, as you complete sidequests you'll also unlock more of them. I leveled my dwarf up to 26 or so and then went around doing a bunch of sidequests, you can even quit halfway in after you find someone's lost doll or kill that last owlbear and just head back to town to turn in the quest for the rewards.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Does every class have invincibility frames like the Elf when they dodge? You get hit but it's always for 0 damage, i'm not sure if it goes for the entire dodge but it feels like it's pretty responsive so you can avoid when you need to.

I've reached hard mode and i'm playing solo on a level 45~ish map, as a level 35, and i'm just dodging and slashing and shooting everything. It's so much fun, especially when you're out of arrows, need to kill a mage quick and switch to your dagger to hurl at him.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Does "Holdout Dagger" basically just give you a dagger 3x in each dungeon when you use it, and you can use it until it breaks? Am I understanding that right?

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I find that if I dodge just as an enemy swings (as a Dwarf) I get a brief flash around my character and a 0 damage popup. I guess if you are really good you might be able to do a whole chain of sweet dodges but honestly if you are playing coop you have to be really paying attention to not get lost in a sea of numbers.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:

a shameful boehner posted:

Does "Holdout Dagger" basically just give you a dagger 3x in each dungeon when you use it, and you can use it until it breaks? Am I understanding that right?

Yes. It just makes the dagger item that you can find in crates and chests and stuff. You can upgrade the skill to make it so you can make 9 daggers per adventure. Holdout Dagger is incredibly useful when you also take the backstab skill, especially when playing in a party where your teammates can distract monsters.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

My biggest issue with this game is the final boss. It heals itself, so if you don't do enough damage per second, you can't beat it. It's the game telling you to go off and grind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

nftyw posted:

I find that if I dodge just as an enemy swings (as a Dwarf) I get a brief flash around my character and a 0 damage popup. I guess if you are really good you might be able to do a whole chain of sweet dodges but honestly if you are playing coop you have to be really paying attention to not get lost in a sea of numbers.

Yeah I think the Elf flashes too now I think back on it. There must just be a couple of frames when you're invincible I suppose. I am usually pretty great at dodging and I've played so many games that require split second timing that it's easy enough in this, though I also play solo.

• Locked thread