Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

I held off buying for this for the Xbox since I heard all the bad poo poo about the slowdown. I see that they patched the game. Did it help fix the slowdown from the near unplayable levels it was at release to something like a normal DW game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

ShadowMosesNative posted:

So where is the best place for the translated version of The Ravages of Time?

It's up on Kissmanga.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Sonata Mused posted:

So, I got to chapter 240 in Ravages of Time.

This series...

Okay, seriously. If you haven't read The Ravages of Time yet, go do it!

The whole battle of Xiapi was amazing. So much stuff going on, but it was all really well done. When Lu Bu died, I was holding my throat. Just brutal.
"It doesn't hurt. It doesn't hurt. IT DOESN'T HURT."

ShadowMosesNative posted:

So where is the best place for the translated version of The Ravages of Time?
Disclosure: I've done a bit of translation-suggestion for the recent chapters.

I'd suggest Mangafox as well, though it seems like every host is just using the same scanlations... unfortunately this means that there's way too much transliterating instead of translating (you will learn to hate gongzi so fast) which thankfully stops by about Chapter 50 but also a lot of esoteric weird dialogue early on, though admittedly this is only partially because of the translation -- according to a comment here (Xiahou Dun losing his eye) it seems that the manhuajia apparently didn't think that the series would last and thus threw in way too much poo poo going on at once.

Thankfully the story veers back on track as a generally recognizable Three Kingdoms story before Chapter 50. I'm using this as a broad synopsis for those first three volumes, though it does spoil the big reveal at the end of Chapter 23 (here's the Volume 4 synopsis with the other big reveal at the end thereof, then 5, 6 and 7).

If you like, Scans_Daily has this sample of the early scanlations showing its version of the Peach Garden Oath Brothers' debut -- and if nothing else, you should see its version of Xiahou Dun and his eye; both are basically standalone chapters and free of major Ravages-specific spoilers.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

ChaosReaper posted:

I held off buying for this for the Xbox since I heard all the bad poo poo about the slowdown. I see that they patched the game. Did it help fix the slowdown from the near unplayable levels it was at release to something like a normal DW game?
The difference is night and day. It's still buggy as hell, so interim save often, but the frame rate is noticeably better. Seems like they frame skip during heavy load, so it's jittery but still fast, as opposed to oh god why Chi Bi the fire aaaaaaaa.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

ChaosReaper posted:

I bought it before the patch and honestly it wasn't that bad, with a few exceptions (that still were on par with previous DW games). Now I pretty much only have slowdown at chibi, and it's negligible.

Go buy it. Go buy it now. I'm so glad I did.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Advice for anyone trying to get the 5th weapons: Get Xiahu Yuan's first. You only need the first stage of the Wei story and it's c5 is a monster. So far, it has one-shotted every enemy officer on Chaos without any attack enhancements on the weapon. It is fairly easy to get, you just need to kill 3 dudes fast and run towards the area with the ballistae. Once you get that one, killing enemies and getting quickly though stages is easy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Played through the Jin campaign, and I guess I know how they justified a Hypothetical Route for the winning side, now. Dang, their Historical is actually kinda dark :stare:. In fact, I'd say the other three kingdoms' Historicals are significantly more cheerful, and they mostly serve to set up their inevitable demise at the hands of either Wei/Jin or themselves.

On the other hand, their Hypothetical has some very amusing bits. Particularly when Zhong Hui tries to lead a coup and Yi and Chunhua are all "HahahahaNOPE.".

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Darth Walrus posted:

On the other hand, their Hypothetical has some very amusing bits. Particularly when Zhong Hui tries to lead a coup and Yi and Chunhua are all "HahahahaNOPE.".

The best part of the level is when Sima Yi stands up at the beginning, and right on cue Men of Intelligence returns and starts playing.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

The thing about Sima Zhao's weapon (going back a few pages) is that you have to make sure that only your last strike really hits your opponent. If you don't he's not in the right position for all the "shockwaves" to fly up and pull off a kill (seriously, those shockwaves are insane).

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Calax posted:

The thing about Sima Zhao's weapon (going back a few pages) is that you have to make sure that only your last strike really hits your opponent. If you don't he's not in the right position for all the "shockwaves" to fly up and pull off a kill (seriously, those shockwaves are insane).

Or if you want less headache, at any given time you are capable of picking Sima Zhao, you can just pick Shi or Wang Yuanji for much better EX love.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So is anyone getting One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 this month?

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Policenaut posted:

So is anyone getting One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 this month?

As soon as my PS3 gets back from repair, I'll be going nuts trying to finish DW8 before this drops. I'm pretty excited for it. Of course it just has to drop when school starts again though :(

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Yeah DW8 is still keeping me pretty enthralled. I still have a couple more 5th weapons to get and then I think I'm going to feel like putting it down for a while so I'll be picking up OPPW2 then.

Does anyone know how far into the story it goes? Because I remember reading that it went through Punk Hazard but it looks the anime will only be up to the part where Luffy beats Ceaser Clown when the game comes out which leaves out the Kuzan and Doflamingo fight which I would assume would be in the game the way they are pushing Kuzan and it's the only thing we've seen him do outside of his movie

But I guess that isn't so weird since it's been out in Japan for however long so it obviously was a lot further ahead than the anime then. The moral of the story is to just read the manga.

Also it's weird that I started reading the manga when the first game came out so that I could make sense of another Musou game and I've been totally hooked on it and am now 700+ chapters in checking back for the update each week.

Bulletproof Tiger
Nov 2, 2010
Pirate Warriors 2 is a completely new story made up for the game. So Punk Hazard is in it, but it's just a level and doesn't follow the manga story. It makes sense to me to do their own story instead of trying to shove all the manga story in and having to cut/shorten a lot of things like they did in PW1.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Pirate Warriors 2 does have some kind of manga story mode as far as I can remember, but it DOES have a new "Another Log" thing with an original story about dials or something that turn people evil.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So I managed to get my hands on both Fist of the North Star games, and.... I like the first one better, so far. #2 has a lot more story mode cutscenes, but I really do not like the random drop system for scrolls or the brainless way you level up. I enjoyed the skill tree much more. I had a total blast playing Jagi's Dream Mode, heh.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Speedball posted:

I had a total blast playing Jagi's Dream Mode, heh.

Jagi's Dream Mode is pretty much the best thing in either game.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I keep forgetting about Ken's Rage 2. I haven't gotten around to playing it yet because I'm so close to 100%ing the first one. Getting all the stars on all of the levels is a pain in the rear end and doing the hard mode boss fights is so god drat ridiculous. Once you get all the stars in a level it beefs up the bosses and gives you crazy rear end QTEs for the finisher and I had to turn off the vibration because the controller kept vibrating at maximum for the duration of the QTEs and it would shake it so much it would cause the battery to momentarily disconnect which causes you to fail out of the QTE.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Jibo posted:

I keep forgetting about Ken's Rage 2. I haven't gotten around to playing it yet because I'm so close to 100%ing the first one. Getting all the stars on all of the levels is a pain in the rear end and doing the hard mode boss fights is so god drat ridiculous. Once you get all the stars in a level it beefs up the bosses and gives you crazy rear end QTEs for the finisher and I had to turn off the vibration because the controller kept vibrating at maximum for the duration of the QTEs and it would shake it so much it would cause the battery to momentarily disconnect which causes you to fail out of the QTE.

I think you sold me on my next purchase...I saw it for like 9.99 at gamestop.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

I just noticed a change to DW8's Ambition Mode - one of the Great Battles is replaced by a Mock Battle in which you fight your allies. Does anyone know whether this is a result of the patch, or a reward for finishing the Tongquetai?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Maleketh posted:

I just noticed a change to DW8's Ambition Mode - one of the Great Battles is replaced by a Mock Battle in which you fight your allies. Does anyone know whether this is a result of the patch, or a reward for finishing the Tongquetai?

It's the latter. It'll help immensely when grinding out your Bonds, too.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Here we go again with the body pillows... this time Zhong Hui, Guo Jia and Guan Yingping.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Do the storm rush attacks just happen randomly or is there something you can do to make it happen? I know that having the weapon advantage allows it to be possible but I mean is it like your ex move causes it or what?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Look at the blue icon above the enemy officer. Attacks will knock off pieces from the icon. When the icon's all gone, then you'll trigger a Storm Rush.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

ChaosReaper posted:

Do the storm rush attacks just happen randomly or is there something you can do to make it happen? I know that having the weapon advantage allows it to be possible but I mean is it like your ex move causes it or what?

The little blue icon over their head slowly breaks down until the attack goes off. Hitting their block is the worst way to chip it down, dealing damage is okay, juggling them drops it quickly. I think switch countering might also help, but I haven't bothered to test that.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

Well poo poo I saw the icon but never knew it was breaking down. I mean there is so much buck wild poo poo happening on screen that it's kinda hard to see.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

So there's a ridiculous glitch at Baidi Castle where you can reach max level in minutes by exploiting the spawning of siege weapons. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, can you check the 360 version and see if it works? I watched a video of the PS3 version, and it went without a hitch. When I play my 360 copy, however, the game glitches out (as usual), and the siege weapons don't even break. They just disappear or despawn of something.

Any thoughts?

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Takoluka posted:

So there's a ridiculous glitch at Baidi Castle where you can reach max level in minutes by exploiting the spawning of siege weapons. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, can you check the 360 version and see if it works? I watched a video of the PS3 version, and it went without a hitch. When I play my 360 copy, however, the game glitches out (as usual), and the siege weapons don't even break. They just disappear or despawn of something.

Any thoughts?

As far as I know it should work on the 360 (don't have one so I can't confirm)

I posted it earlier, but you need to do a couple of things with this glitch,

1) Stop the fire attack ASAP. Get Hex Mark or Red Hare or another fast horse so you can move around.
2) Immediately beeline to Yueying and cap her rear end. Ignore other objectives/commanders/poo poo. Just kill her while all the message spam is going on (this is what I think triggers the glitch - game doesn't register Yueying being killed while system messages are going on, so the flag or whatever to stop the juggernauts from spawning doesn't get toggled when you kill her.)
3) Now, this is where some people think the glitch isn't working for them, as Juggernauts will not spawn if there's any sort of battle spam going on (officers talking smack, you have achieved 100 KOs, Soandso is in good spirits, etc.) So either you can wait for the CPU to take out the rest of the poo poo ORRRRRR you can mosey around and take everything out up to the part where you have to use the catapaults to tear down the castle gates. I typically just stand in a corner and wait til everything is done (except for taking out Ma Chao/Ma Dai when they spawn, cos those horses are loving annoying) as I'm usually watching a movie or something if I'm grinding out a character.

I also recommend tossing on the Throwing Axes, as you can spam attacks no problem in the corner.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Oh, I can trigger the spawns like normal, but when they die, they just disappear one at a time, unlike the glitch videos where they fall by the dozens with every swing. I'm curious if the 360 version is busted or if I'm just doing something to glitch the glitch.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

ChaosReaper posted:

Well poo poo I saw the icon but never knew it was breaking down. I mean there is so much buck wild poo poo happening on screen that it's kinda hard to see.

Seriously people, play the tutorial.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
There's a trophy for playing it with all four kingdoms so people should probably do that and get really good at the basics.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Managed to make the glitch work how I was expecting. I think the problem was the 360 hardware not being strong enough to spawn juggernauts repeatedly in the corner if too much else is going on. Cut down on the overall enemy count, and it worked like a charm.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

5er posted:

Speaking of Ding Feng gently caress YOUR GOD drat HULA HOOP. I'm not using him without gloves, and I will not cry losing his pretty great EX.

Ding Feng's C5(5) is Amazing and you should totally use it at some point.
In fact Ding Feng's entire link system is awesome and honestly I prefer it to Gloves in almost every aspect.

with Regards to Li Dian, most of the high level gameplay I've seen of him revolves around "Switch to a better Whirlwind weapon" (Lance and Tonfa are the first two choices I saw)

Btw, does anyone know where to get decent but cheap recording equipment with USB compatibility and zoom? I was thinking of recording some Bnbs for various chars once I've sorted some admin stuff

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Trollhawke posted:

Ding Feng's C5(5) is Amazing and you should totally use it at some point.
In fact Ding Feng's entire link system is awesome and honestly I prefer it to Gloves in almost every aspect.

I loved using it in Empires, but it really threw me when they changed the tell from red to blue in this game, since it seems every other effect in the game is blue.

I haven't bothered to check, but is his Timed C3 and below still hot garbage? I always hated that in Empires it always hit after the officers got into guard, and it plus the other charges before it felt like they were better off not timed. At least the others are pretty good, and I swear by the Timed C6 for general grunt crowd clearing.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
I'm a bit mixed on DW8. I like the gameplay well enough (and Lu Su/Rake is fun) but it feels like a giant step back in the presentation department. Story mode's presentation just lacks anywhere near the polish that DW7's had and seems incredibly basic and even the level designs feel very basic as well. Chibi was awesome in DW7 but in DW8 it feels like just another level and in general it just doesn't feel like things really happen during a stage.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
I've used Ding Feng a few times and I won't be convinced about that chakram, I am sorry. I haven't given Lu Su a shot yet though, I keep hearing the love. I suppose I'll do that next.

drat those Wu story mission stars! They're tough! I like that though. I feel rather proud knocking them out without having to resort to an FAQ.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

5er posted:

I've used Ding Feng a few times and I won't be convinced about that chakram, I am sorry.

I'm right there with you. It's not the worst weapon but it doesn't really have enough redeeming qualities to make up for it's general slowness and lack of range.

The weapons I really can't stand though are the Mace, Crossbow, and Harp. Brush was on that list but it's grown on me a little.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
The only thing about the mace that makes me unhappy, is that they really shittified Pang De's EX. The C3 and C5 are satisfying as ever.

shino
Dec 28, 2004
do not open
I found the chakram/circle blade to be pretty good actually, but you -have- to use its second set of charge attacks. It's in the weapon description but it's hard to pull off--when the circle blade flashes after you use a charge attack, you have to hit the charge attack button again with pretty difficult timing and you'll get a completely different move that is way better. But yeah, if you're not doing that it's a bad weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

5er posted:

The only thing about the mace that makes me unhappy, is that they really shittified Pang De's EX. The C3 and C5 are satisfying as ever.

It's soooooo slow and does middling damage. It was great as a DLC weapon in 7 where I feel like it did a little more damage and was a bit faster. Also I'm pretty sure Peng De's EX was just the normal charge attack for the DLC version unlike basically every other DLC weapon turned regular.

Interestingly, if you sort your weapons by type the mace is a spear and not a club!