Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
The Aztecs are triggered by an MTTH event so it's entirely possible (though less likely than at release where the MTTH was set way too high) for them not to show up even with SI enabled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not sure how Hungarian + German = Khazar, but whatever.

e: The mother's in Azov which is Khazar, but shouldn't only the culture be possibly Khazar, not the ethnicity? CK2+ if it matters.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Not sure how Hungarian + German = Khazar, but whatever.

e: The mother's in Azov which is Khazar, but shouldn't only the culture be possibly Khazar, not the ethnicity? CK2+ if it matters.

:ssh: Someone's been cheating on their spouse.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

I had the children of my Pomeranian king and his Russian wife turn out Bohemian for some drat reason in my last game.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Who raised them?

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Leb posted:

So, any other "CK2 was my first real Paradox game" guys on here? Thoughts on EUIV from a CK2 player's perspective? I get that it's a very different style of game, but it seems like the ability to impose your will on the world is still derived from the power of your monarch, it's just that you no longer have any real control over your monarch or his dynasty.

Are you guys picking up EUIV at launch or are you going to wait until the first couple rounds of patches/DLCs? I'm kind of torn at the moment.

I have it preordered, and I think that I'm eventually going to enjoy it, but there's so much to wrap my head around that I might sit it out a couple weeks while someone puts together a good tutorial LP on it.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Who raised them?

They were born like that I had to get them all tutored by Pomeranians to set it right.

Fake edit: Am I the only one who thinks that the host mechanic is completely broken? I had a 2,000 guy host show up on my two province minor. How the hell am I supposed to fight that?

Dr. Tough fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 10, 2013

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
So is it generally more effective to go with having king vassals, or tons of dukes/archbishops?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I just started playing as Satrap of Karen. I married my sister, now what?

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

chunkles posted:

That's it; you win.

Orv
May 4, 2011

chunkles posted:

Abdicate to her.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

The Mattybee posted:

So is it generally more effective to go with having king vassals, or tons of dukes/archbishops?

Depends which isn't much of a useful answer. Having say one King as apposed to three Dukes means that you've only got one vassal to worry about for when it comes to factions and electoral voting, although the downside is that one King will be much stronger.

I only really hand out Kingdoms to vassals generally only if the Kingdom itself is some tiny little one/two duchy thing.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 10, 2013

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Shogunate posted:

Depends which isn't much of a useful answer. Having say one King as apposed to three Dukes means that you've only got one vassal to worry about for when it comes to factions and electoral voting, although the downside is that one King will be much stronger.

Also, having King vassals cuts down on micromanagement a TON.

Just focus on having high Diplomacy on your rulers, and having king vassals isn't difficult.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

The Mattybee posted:

Having played the GOT mod a ton as the Targaryens on the Iron Throne with 8 king/lord paramount vassals, i'd go with that. Sure when revolts roll around you get some pretty huge wars, but fewer vassals means you can focus your diplomatic efforts on 2-3 key vassals so that when the inevitable civil war does come, they could end up winning the war for you.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

chunkles posted:

Eat up as many provinces to your east as possible before the Muslims come knocking from the south

After that, eat up as many provinces to your south as possible before the Mongols come knocking from the east. Maybe grab Iceland too, just to be safe.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

NihilCredo posted:

Maybe grab Iceland too, just to be safe.

Unless you have Sunset Invaders on, in which case Iceland isn't safe at all.

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005

Eltoasto posted:

What are your preferred methods of weaking super dukes? I've got a couple in my spanish empire and stabbing just makes them younger. Do you generally wait for a peaceful time and incite them to rebel?

If most of my realm is stable I usually just flat out revoke some of the duchies and take the vassal opinion hit. The best time for that is when you have a ruler getting up in years so they should have a large 'long reign' opinion bonus, and they'll die soon, getting rid of the opinion hit. Thank God, Allah, and the Allfather that your vassals only hate the ruler that revoked titles and not the dynasty.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

NihilCredo posted:

Eat up as many provinces to your east as possible before the Muslims come knocking from the south

After that, eat up as many provinces to your south as possible before the Mongols come knocking from the east. Maybe grab Iceland too, just to be safe.

You'll probably have better luck swearing fealty to the Khivan king to your immediate east -- with your event troops, you'll so vastly outnumber his forces that you can force elective succession and demand installation of claimant (you), all hopefully without a fight. Then, it's probably best to look north to the Tengrist dogs and start taking all the land you can.

Beware of the Saffarids to the south -- they'll quickly gobble up most of de jure Persia and will be able to field 15-20k soldiers when you're able to raise maybe 5-10k at best. Either sow dissent or improve relations because sooner or later, they'll come gunning for you.

Endure.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Caliph Francisco, (titular) King of Portugal. :holy:

FingersMaloy
Dec 23, 2004

Fuck! That's Delicious.
I have my most successful dynasty going. I started with Harold II of England, defeated Harald Hardrada, and stabbed the whole House of Normandy out of the game. I'm still figuring out vassal maintenance, but I have establshed Britannia and I feel like I have graduated from the tutorial islands.

After 80 hours of figuring out the main game I'm ready for a change and I want to start a republic but they seem so different. What am I supposed to be doing? Is there a quick tutorial? I found one on Youtube but it was like an hour long.

FingersMaloy fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 10, 2013

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
I give up. I tried to break my save-scumming ways cold-turkey, but Egypt is just so much bullshit. Still, baby steps.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

chunkles posted:

Have a son, die, become son, marry mother/aunt. Continue.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, it all shows as your primary title. If you're set on keeping Gavelkind, definitely destroy Brittania, or else your second-eldest kid is gonna walk away with that title, independence, and quite possibly all of Brittania, I'm not sure how that'll work, actually. He'll at least have claims.

quote:

Crusader Kings II - 1.101 PATCH RELEASED - Checksum MEFB - NOT for problem reports!

- Disallowed destruction of non-titular titles under Gavelkind

I don't think he can destroy the Empire of Brittania, so his realm will definitely split up with the death of his character.

Azzanadra
Jun 18, 2008

The Light is the power of Dance

You definitely cannot destroy titles if they have gavelkind law. I had this problem in a game I'm playing right now as East Francia where Bavaria would keep splitting from me when EF was Primogeniture (Getting CA up to high just to switch to it was a huge headace as far as vassal management was concerned). I wound up being able to get rid of it by switching Bavaria to Ultiminogeniture and I was instantly able to destroy the title. If you you're CA is minimum I think Elective might also let you destroy.

Speaking of East Francia, what are the triggers to change the Francia titles into France and Germany, if there are any? In my game West Francia cockblocked me from forming the HRE by stealing Lotharingia from me before I could and formed the empire Francia. So now Europe is split between Francia and East Francia, with is both fitting and silly.

\/\/ WELP :shepface:

Azzanadra fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Aug 10, 2013

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Azzanadra posted:

Speaking of East Francia, what are the triggers to change the Francia titles into France and Germany, if there are any?

It's tied to the ruling dynasty. They'll permanently switch to their modern names only once a non-Karling holds the title.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

My trouble right now, trying to change succession laws of my empire, is that my vassals are basically never not fighting each other. My Crown Authority is High, so why the gently caress are they fighting? And how can I get rid of jarls? I've got 11 kings and 3 jarls under me. I'd like to transfer those jarls the hell outta here.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Varam posted:

It's tied to the ruling dynasty. They'll permanently switch to their modern names only once a non-Karling holds the title.

I believe there's a time? based trigger for when Germany becomes the HRE too, and possibly that the Papacy must exist?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

csidle posted:

My trouble right now, trying to change succession laws of my empire, is that my vassals are basically never not fighting each other. My Crown Authority is High, so why the gently caress are they fighting? And how can I get rid of jarls? I've got 11 kings and 3 jarls under me. I'd like to transfer those jarls the hell outta here.

I once had to wait 100 years for an opportunity to change succession laws in Sweden because those poo poo-for-brains wouldn't stop their incessant, petty wars.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

csidle posted:

Unfortunately, High CA only means vassals of the same realm can't fight each other, so that means even though English Dukes won't start poo poo with each other if England has High CA, the English King will be able to fight the Scottish one. Also, CA laws for Empires act weird when Kingdoms are under them; I can't say for certain how it works, but I think a solution is to destroy all Kingdom titles and have all Dukes under you as direct vassals.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Aug 10, 2013

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

My EUIV CK2 conversion scenario is coming along nicely.

:getin:

although I hadn't planned for... Tunis/Aghlabid. After I lost my Andalusian crown I sorta thought I'd dick around in Aquitaine, setting up a scenario where half of France and half of Italy was in Muslim hands.

...but my AI bros had different ideas.

e:

Karlings :argh:
(She's married with the Sultan of Africa)

e2:

This is the best game :allears:

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Aug 10, 2013

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
No idea how this happened. It was Karlings all the way down until some Greek guy ended up on the throne.

It's only a few years in, so this might turn out interesting.

e: The guy just got the nickname "Priest-Hater" :allears:

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Aug 10, 2013

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I've been alternately enjoying playing Ireland and Wales, while plugging away at my Sunni Muslims rule the Mediterranean run and I think I had my version of a Koranic revelation.

I like forming de jure dukedoms and petty kingdoms, but that endless holy war CB and adjacent conquest is so much fun. Waiting until France splits in civil war and nicking Toulouse, doing the same with the Byzantines and Serbia, enforcing conversion and then granting independence will never ever get old. It's like that comic someone put together - 'it's called crusader kings why would I want to play an emir?' Followed immediately by 'I have returned from the Hajj my brothers! Let us sweep the infidels before our holy might! For God and the Prophet, peace be upon him!'

It all really clicked after about the third crusader for Sicily, when I was getting sick as poo poo of all these bloody Catholics coming in and nicking my lovely kingdom. I go on hajj and undertake Ramadan to prepare myself spiritually, then storm Rome and force the papacy out. The moral authority of Catholicism falls - isn't that a wonderful mechanic? - and now everyone who isn't Muslim is conquered by the horde, Aztec or cathar.

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker
This seems like as good of a place as any to ask, but I've run into a weird problem with modding CK2. I have a personal mod thrown together with some tweaks for me and my friends to do multiplayer with, and one of those is a number of adjustments to the opinion modifiers on things like opposed traits, infidel, etc. For some reason the game doesn't seem to recognize the changes to the opinion_modifiers.txt for my mod or even changes I put in to the vanilla .txt file. Anyone have an idea on what might be causing it?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
What's worse than an adventurer from your own family trying to gank your title?

Two of them: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=168348974

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
So in my game Byzanty lost Thrace to a Tengri Khan and the Ecumenical Patriarchy stopped existing. How do I recreate it? I'm currently duchy-level and if I try to create it it jsut becomes my primary title and I lose the game. How do I either become the Patriarch or get one of my vassals to?

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Is there a way to give a character a lover at the 867 start? I'm trying to add a lover to a character for the Old Gods start. Putting an add_lover in the character history files on a date before game start doesn't seem to work.

Am I stuck using the console to add a character's wife as his lover every new game?

BgRdMchne fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 10, 2013

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

GrossMurpel posted:

So in my game Byzanty lost Thrace to a Tengri Khan and the Ecumenical Patriarchy stopped existing. How do I recreate it? I'm currently duchy-level and if I try to create it it jsut becomes my primary title and I lose the game. How do I either become the Patriarch or get one of my vassals to?

Cheat? Open the console, type "charinfo 1" to get character IDs, pick an orthodox priest, get his ID, and then type "give_title k_orthodox [charID]" in the console and bam! Patriarchy restored, the dream of all men's rights activists. :downsrim:

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Crusader Kings II: I married my sister, now what?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

If you married your sister in CK2, you might just be a zorostrian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

Cheat? Open the console, type "charinfo 1" to get character IDs, pick an orthodox priest, get his ID, and then type "give_title k_orthodox [charID]" in the console and bam! Patriarchy restored, the dream of all men's rights activists. :downsrim:

Is it not possible without cheating? What if I get an Emperor-level title and then form the Patriarchy, would that still give me a gameover?

• Locked thread