Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Are there any really good yuri shows that tend to be pretty character-oriented and deal with the more emotional aspects of relationships?

I've recently finished up Maria-sama ga Miteru and loved it, so I was wondering if there were any other shows that are a lot like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sylphid posted:

Are there any really good yuri shows that tend to be pretty character-oriented and deal with the more emotional aspects of relationships?

I've recently finished up Maria-sama ga Miteru and loved it, so I was wondering if there were any other shows that are a lot like that.

Aoi Hana and Sasameki Koto are basically it, and unfortunately both shows end before a whole lot happens. I still highly recommend watching them, but overall you'll have better luck with manga.

e: typos

a kitten fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 10, 2013

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
There really aren't that many serious yuri shows. Aoi Hana and Sasameki Koto are about the only other ones to come to mind, and both are incomplete adaptions of their original works.

Edit: And Strawberry Panic, I guess. It's Maria-sama's slightly retarded cousin basically.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 9, 2013

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Hm, that's too bad to hear about there not being many shows like Maria-sama. It hit all the right notes to me as an anime that explored yuri tropes with such class and respect, but I'll give those other shows a look. Thanks.

Of course, there is always manga.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Utena? :v:

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I caught up with Attack the Titans and finished the first arc of Sword Art Online based on recommendations here. I liked them both a lot. I was a little surprised at the quick pacing in SAO. I guess I expected the entire series to take place in the MMO world. As for Attack on Titans I really enjoyed that one, but I can see why you guys said it has some pacing issues mid-way through. It wasn't as bad for me since I was marathoning it but there were definitely some episodes that ended with me thinking "holy poo poo, almost nothing happened". Both really good shows, though.

Not sure what I'll check out next maybe Steins;Gate or Chihayafuru. Speaking of Chihayafuru how would you guys compare it to Hikaru no Go, or Hajime No Ippo, and Akagi? Also how serious is Tiger & Bunny? Is it like an anime version of Mystery Men or KickAss or is it more serious?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Tiger and Bunny is only serious when it wants to be.

It rarely wants to be, but it's still a really good series, and when it gets serious, you'll know it. It's a pretty smart take on the corporate superhero idea. It's definitely one of the best series to come out of the last five years.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

-Blackadder- posted:

I caught up with Attack the Titans and finished the first arc of Sword Art Online based on recommendations here. I liked them both a lot. I was a little surprised at the quick pacing in SAO. I guess I expected the entire series to take place in the MMO world. As for Attack on Titans I really enjoyed that one, but I can see why you guys said it has some pacing issues mid-way through. It wasn't as bad for me since I was marathoning it but there were definitely some episodes that ended with me thinking "holy poo poo, almost nothing happened". Both really good shows, though.

Not sure what I'll check out next maybe Steins;Gate or Chihayafuru. Speaking of Chihayafuru how would you guys compare it to Hikaru no Go, or Hajime No Ippo, and Akagi? Also how serious is Tiger & Bunny? Is it like an anime version of Mystery Men or KickAss or is it more serious?

I was really, really impressed with steins gate. I normally hate time travel stories but Steins gate was, in my opinion, absolutely fan-loving-tastic. It tugged my heartstrings, which is something I can;t say for a lot of shows. I was also super impressed with he dub. I kinda think its Funimation's best, even better than baccanno's, which is saying something.

And "serious when it wants to be" is a great way to describe the tone of Tiger and Bunny. Primarily its fun but when it wants to be serious it can be serious.

Dred Cosmonaut fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Aug 9, 2013

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
I'll also vouch for Steins;Gate. Easily one of the best shows of 2011, which was a drat good year for anime. Definitely a must see if you're even remotely interested in sci-fi.

As far as Tiger and Bunny goes, it's definitely more serious than Mystery Men, but it's not exactly Watchmen either. There's a lot of goofy character humor, but it also explores some mature themes and has a pretty serious overarching story.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sylphid posted:

Hm, that's too bad to hear about there not being many shows like Maria-sama. It hit all the right notes to me as an anime that explored yuri tropes with such class and respect, but I'll give those other shows a look. Thanks.

Of course, there is always manga.

If you liked Maria-sama you could try Brother, Dear Brother. The anime version is from the early 90's but it's based on a 70's manga that basically started all the 'one-sama' tropes that Marimite uses.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

If you liked Maria-sama you could try Brother, Dear Brother. The anime version is from the early 90's but it's based on a 70's manga that basically started all the 'one-sama' tropes that Marimite uses.

Looking it up on Wiki, definitely seems like a much darker Marimite, but this does intrigue me. You mean tropes like the underclassman-upperclassman attraction and just the general direction the relationship goes in over the course of the series?

To be honest, though, I've often had trouble differentiating Class-S and yuri in a prototypical high school setting like Marimite and Brother, Dear Brother. Hopefully this isn't too much of a derail, but is there any functional difference between those two genres if the series is just about the high school lives of these characters?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you're willing to expand a bit and not only read exclusively yuri stuff, I made a list of things that various threads/people recommended me that are mostly really good. Specifics of what's in each are alongside links to read/buy them.

For emotional and dramatic stuff, Ai-Ren, Octave, Aoi Hana would best fit that, Aoi Hana is a little aloof at times though and the ending is merely passable.

For series that are funny and yet really good with the relationship bits, Bonnouji, Paradise Kiss and Sekitou Elergy would be your cup of tea in that case.

For inoffensive but also not exactly groundbreaking stuff that focuses more on comedy or takes a while to get going, there's Lovely Complex, B Gata H Kei, Jellyfish Princess and Girl Friends(though GF is a distant fourth).

For a series that will make you go :stare: :stare: :catstare:, there's Masturbation Master Kurosawa.

It should be mentioned that Octave is yuri, and honestly way better than Sasameki Koto or Aoi Hana. However, the ending is kinda bland. It's not like it leaves anything unfinished, but it's just...there.

edit: agh gently caress, yuri shows. Dangit bobby

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 9, 2013

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Well, it's not a show, but Octave seems really interesting from what little I read there. I'm definitely more partial to serious stuff, so that definitely seems like something I'd like to check out someday.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sylphid posted:

Looking it up on Wiki, definitely seems like a much darker Marimite, but this does intrigue me. You mean tropes like the underclassman-upperclassman attraction and just the general direction the relationship goes in over the course of the series?

Mainly just the social hierarchy and some of the character archetypes, there are lots of similarities between the main characters of both series for instance. The course the relationships take are much different though. Something like Strawberry Panic is the same, only with the yuri and melodrama turned up to 11. At least compared to Marimite, it's virtually impossible to out melodrama Brother, Dear Brother (or any of Riyoko Ikeda's other manga really).

Sylphid posted:

To be honest, though, I've often had trouble differentiating Class-S and yuri in a prototypical high school setting like Marimite and Brother, Dear Brother. Hopefully this isn't too much of a derail, but is there any functional difference between those two genres if the series is just about the high school lives of these characters?

A lot of it is semantics and how you interpret things to be honest. To me Marimite isn't really a yuri show (and Brother, Dear Brother certainly isn't) because it's much more about very intense female friendships than romantic ones. It's been a long time since I watched it, but from what I remember there's only like one relationship that's presented as an actual romance. Whereas the aforementioned Strawberry Panic (which is really bad by the way, but enjoyable if you like that sort of thing :v: ) basically just goes 'yeah, they're all lesbians'.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Is Wedding Peach any good or should I just skip it in my unofficial magical girl marathon?

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Violet_Sky posted:

Is Wedding Peach any good or should I just skip it in my unofficial magical girl marathon?

It's been a while, but I don't remember Wedding Peach being anything more than a garden variety magical girl show with wedding motifs. i don't remember it being terrible, but it wasn't exactly breaking any ground.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

-Blackadder- posted:

Steins;Gate. Get on that right now. It was one of the best shows of 2011, which had plenty of other fantastic shows, and a personal all time favorite. Okabe is the best crappy mad scientist.

Chihayafuru is also an amazing show, but for very different reasons. I haven't seen other sports shows/manga so I can't comment on how it compares, but there's great balance between the sports drama and the character drama, with a lot of levity sprinkled in.

What I watched of Tiger and Bunny was ok, but I'm biased against superhero movies/shows. The only three superhero things that I really like are The Dark Knight, The Avengers, and the ongoing Gatchaman Crowds. I thought it was really silly, but I was told that I never got to what made it shine. But it's recommended enough that I'd say give it the 3-ep test at least.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 9, 2013

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

ViggyNash posted:

What I watched of Tiger and Bunny was ok, but I'm biased against superhero movies/shows. The only three superhero things that I really like are The Dark Knight, The Avengers, and the ongoing Gatchaman Crowds. I thought it was really silly, but I was told that I never got to what made it shine. But it's recommended enough that I'd say give it the 3-ep test at least.

Watch more. Tiger and Bunny is one of the best superhero cartoons out there. I'd say it's in the same league as some of the best DCU material.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

ViggyNash posted:

Steins;Gate. Get on that right now. It was one of the best shows of 2011, which had plenty of other fantastic shows, and a personal all time favorite. Okabe is the best crappy mad scientist.

Chihayafuru is also an amazing show, but for very different reasons. I haven't seen other sports shows/manga so I can't comment on how it compares, but there's great balance between the sports drama and the character drama, with a lot of levity sprinkled in.

??????

I can understand not liking Tiger and Bunny though.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Violet_Sky posted:

The first episode (or however far in the first episode you can make it) will probably answer your question. It's a very poorly done copycat show.

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

Sylphid posted:

I've seen a similar question a few times in the thread so far, I think, and there's not a yuri version of a shoujo-style romance series animated. What you can get is what you probably really want anyway: a holistically good show that has a lot of girls kissing each other in it (and sometimes meaning it), without being too flagrant a vehicle for fanservice or pandering, DEEN's bizarre 2006 original

Pictured are your central romantic pair, Aaeru and Neviril. Everyone on the planet is born female, extending the girls' school concept to absurdity. Our protagonists' nation has a state religion centered on their monopoly over a method for changing sex (once, permanently) easily and the ritualistic use of some powerful ancient gunships (the Simoun) they dug up. Simoun require the 2-girl crew to make out before ignition. Bear with me here.

The real payoff is how the story of an upset in the balance of (national and personal) power gets engrossing as it grows more complex. It does suffer from a slow start, dated CG and wildly inconsistent animation quality (see: DEEN), but the designs themselves are nice and the plot touches on a broad array of issues. A lot of people are turned off, for one reason or another, by the gender-bending element, but it's treated with a lot of gravity -- asking what it would mean to gender politics if physical sex were a choice. Not to mention that the show likes to break its own rules. And even the characters who have been men for a while and have beards are voiced by women.

It's weird, and more of a flawed cult classic than anything, but I think it's recommendable as a sci-fi summer blockbuster version of Marimite or Dezaki's shoujo adaptations. If you're Ursula K. Le Guin and you're still peeved about Earthsea, watch this.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

muike posted:

??????

I can understand not liking Tiger and Bunny though.

I meant T&B was silly (in my opinion), not Gatchaman Crowds. Crowds started off weird, but holy poo poo has it paid off.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

ViggyNash posted:

I meant T&B was silly (in my opinion), not Gatchaman Crowds. Crowds started off weird, but holy poo poo has it paid off.

I know what you meant, that was my point

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

I've actually heard of this show before as sort of a yuri / mecha show, but that is a really weird premise, but definitely seems interesting enough to check out. Definitely seems like something you really have to experience to understand, but it is a tasteful yuri show from your description, so that's definitely up my alley.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

I was going to suggest Simoun, but I honestly don't remember enough about it besides having planes powered by kissing lesbians.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I found Simoun really good, even though most yuri shows have never been particularly interesting to me.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man I love the thrown-against-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks style of anime design. Planes/mechs powered by lesbians kissing/orgasms. A Roman architect who gets sucked through a time portal every time he dunks his head underwater, surfaces somewhere in modern-day Japan, and steals the technological advancements to use back home in Rome. Love it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I last watched Simoun back when it was new but it was definitely A Thing. I remember liking some of the characters? I honestly don't know.

I will agree that it at least treated it's premise with respect though, yeah.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
This might be an odd request, but I have both read the manga and seen the anime for Tokyo Mew Mew a long time ago and remember liking it well enough as a young girl. Which would be better on a re-watch or read?

On that note, are there any recommendations for magical girl series on the more lighthearted side like it or Cardcaptor Sakura? I guess I'm mostly looking to capture the same sense of nostalgia, but I'm open to anything.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Strange Quark posted:

This might be an odd request, but I have both read the manga and seen the anime for Tokyo Mew Mew a long time ago and remember liking it well enough as a young girl. Which would be better on a re-watch or read?

On that note, are there any recommendations for magical girl series on the more lighthearted side like it or Cardcaptor Sakura? I guess I'm mostly looking to capture the same sense of nostalgia, but I'm open to anything.

Watch the English dub.

I mean, it's a bad show. But the dub is loving hilarious in its badness, while my understanding is that the original versions are just mediocre at best.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Strange Quark posted:

Try Shugo Chara, which is fairly light-hearted. The Precure shows might work too, but I've never watched them.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Allarion posted:

The Precure shows might work too, but I've never watched them.

Heartcatch Precure legitimately owns. :colbert:

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

God I don't either would be great, it's one of those many shows you like as a little kid and just doesn't hold up as you age.

For magical girl shows you can't go wrong with Sailor Moon. Yes it does get dark at times but as a whole it's still a very idealistic show. Little Witch Academia is basically magical girls and a fun watch.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Strange Quark posted:

Princess Tutu It's really creepy and weird but in a cool genre subversion kind of way. Also has a really amazing classical music background and everything is scored in very specific ways with music motifs that reference the themes of a bunch of different classical compositions.

If you're looking for some stuff that's around the time period of CCS, Saint Tail was also a very popular series in a similar style and Magic Users Club was another one.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Simoun is a Good Show and one that definitely deserves to be watched IMO. It DID have one of the worst first episodes relative to overall quality I've ever seen though - the kissing thing was pushed hard for some inexplicable reason, it has an incredibly impressive amount of techno/magicbabble that should have been spread out more or introduced better, and the plot for the episode centers on one of the MC's personal tragedy, at a point before we have any real reason to care about them or their woes (it IS important to more characters, and the overall plot, but it tends to put people off the MC in my experience). Episode 4 was pretty much when I decided the show was bringing poo poo to the table that I really liked.

As the sole person putting it on their ADTRW top 5 shows of the previous decade if I recall correctly (at #1 above Baccano, deserving nothing less :colbert:) I feel obliged to hawk it.

E: The biggest barrier for making a recommendation for it is the combination of bad first episode, an art-style that can be somewhat of an acquired taste, and the fact that a LOT of the things I'll praise it for doing are very hard to talk about without giving out huge spoilers which kind of ruins the point.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 11, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sailor Moon is good if you can put up with the 100s of episodes.

Princess Tutu and Revolutionary Girl Utena are both magical girl shows that delve into deeper themes. I wouldn't necessarily call them 'subversions,' they're just both really smart shows.

PreCure as a whole is light, fluffy fare. You aren't gonna get your socks blown off, but they're just fun magical girl shows. The one thing distinct about them is that the directors are usually shonen directors, so action scenes tend to be paced and animated more like a, well, shonen fight. My personal favorite season is Heartcatch PreCure, but they're all pretty similar in quality from the two and a half seasons of it I've watched.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Insurrectionist posted:

Simoun is a Good Show and one that definitely deserves to be watched IMO. It DID have one of the worst first episodes relative to overall quality I've ever seen though - the kissing thing was pushed hard for some inexplicable reason, it has an incredibly impressive amount of techno/magicbabble that should have been spread out more or introduced better, and the plot for the episode centers on one of the MC's personal tragedy, at a point before we have any real reason to care about them or their woes (it IS important to more characters, and the overall plot, but it tends to put people off the MC in my experience). Episode 4 was pretty much when I decided the show was bringing poo poo to the table that I really liked.

As the sole person putting it on their ADTRW top 5 shows of the previous decade if I recall correctly (at #1 above Baccano, deserving nothing less :colbert:) I feel obliged to hawk it.

E: The biggest barrier for making a recommendation for it is the combination of bad first episode, an art-style that can be somewhat of an acquired taste, and the fact that a LOT of the things I'll praise it for doing are very hard to talk about without giving out huge spoilers which kind of ruins the point.
I really really liked Simoun, and I agree it's sort of hard to recommend because of the weird kissing thing and the fact that a lot of what's good about it is spoilers. But yes, episode 4 was really great and I also remember thinking at that point "this is a genuinely good show". It also has beautiful music and backdrops as well as a solid and well told story.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I guess Soronowoto/Sound of the Sky is a magical girl drama as well, but it's really slow paced and very chill. It's probably the only Post-Apoc thing I can think of that's extremely positive about the future, which is sort of a unique angle.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I guess Soronowoto/Sound of the Sky is a magical girl drama as well, but it's really slow paced and very chill. It's probably the only Post-Apoc thing I can think of that's extremely positive about the future, which is sort of a unique angle.

Mind explaining your reasoning for saying Sora no Woto is a magical girl show? I really don't see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

Sailor Moon is good if you can put up with the 100s of episodes.

i'm so happy that this guide to important Sailor Moon episodes was posted in the SM thread. It makes getting through the series much less daunting, while still being really fun to watch and showing why it's such a classic.

• Locked thread