Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There are apps out there for controlling a mouse on a desktop, but I don't know of any that support gestures.

You might do better to just buy a trackpad.. there are a number of them out there that implement multitouch and gestures. They're geared for Windows 8 though, I'm not sure if W7 supports gestures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

There are apps out there for controlling a mouse on a desktop, but I don't know of any that support gestures.

You might do better to just buy a trackpad.. there are a number of them out there that implement multitouch and gestures. They're geared for Windows 8 though, I'm not sure if W7 supports gestures.

Seven does, right out of the box as far as I know.

Or it might be particular to my craptop? :shrug:

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

syscall girl posted:

Seven does, right out of the box as far as I know.

Or it might be particular to my craptop? :shrug:

That big ALPS in the corner? That's the manufacturer of your touchpad driver and the gestures are an add-in they've made.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Neurophonic posted:

That big ALPS in the corner? That's the manufacturer of your touchpad driver and the gestures are an add-in they've made.

Yeah, that's what kinda what I was thinking too.

Still, it's a thing that's possible in win7 via 3rd party stuff.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Any good apps for keeping track of home inventory for insurance purposes?

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

PaganGoatPants posted:

Any good apps for keeping track of home inventory for insurance purposes?

There's an app called "III Inventory" that should help out with this. Your insurance company may have its own app as well.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I'm horrible with directions so it's a pain in the rear end sometimes when a road is closed and google maps doesn't give me any options that don't involve taking it. This lovely old phone I had with a proprietary maps app had an option to bypass roads, does google maps or an other maps app out there for the iPhone have this feature?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Nevermind found what I needed.

Hooray Dialysis
May 20, 2007

everything is cool

MaxxBot posted:

I'm horrible with directions so it's a pain in the rear end sometimes when a road is closed and google maps doesn't give me any options that don't involve taking it. This lovely old phone I had with a proprietary maps app had an option to bypass roads, does google maps or an other maps app out there for the iPhone have this feature?

I've had success with Waze as far as letting me know when a road is closed for construction and whatnot.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Whoever was asking about a business card app a couple of pages back, there's a thing called SamCard that's gone free today. Take pictures of a business card and it automatically detects text and adds it to the appropriate fields and indexes it for you. No idea how well it works, but for $0 I'd say it's worth a try.

RunOfTheMill
Sep 24, 2004

Sieg posted:

I recently switched from Keepass to Lastpass, and second this.

Third. Definitely a fan of lastpass, plus most of the functionality you need is free on all platforms.

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

RunOfTheMill posted:

Third. Definitely a fan of lastpass, plus most of the functionality you need is free on all platforms.

I just installed it, but the iphone app is a $1/mo app, right?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

voltron posted:

I just installed it, but the iphone app is a $1/mo app, right?

$12 a year so yeah. You get a couple of other random perks too (which I forget).

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Any recommendations on an app that will let me do mass SMS?

I need to communicate with my football team, so need to be able to blast like 45 people at once.

I know there's a lots of apps that do it, I'm just wonders which does it the best.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I thought you could set up groups on iOS and just send to the group with the default messaging app?

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Doesn't default app limit the number of recipients?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Unsure. Never actually dealt with groups. You could always lump people in to Group 1, Group 2, Group 3 and so forth.

Sending the same message 4-5 time beats sending the same message 45 times.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

crm posted:

Doesn't default app limit the number of recipients?

Depends on your cell provider.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

crm posted:

Any recommendations on an app that will let me do mass SMS?

I need to communicate with my football team, so need to be able to blast like 45 people at once.

I know there's a lots of apps that do it, I'm just wonders which does it the best.

Depending on how often you're going to text and how well you want to keep track of replies from the group, it may be better to get everyone onto WhatsApp or LINE or something like that instead of using SMS.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Neurophonic posted:

Depending on how often you're going to text and how well you want to keep track of replies from the group, it may be better to get everyone onto WhatsApp or LINE or something like that instead of using SMS.

Look into GroupMe as well. Uses Data, and allows you to silence grouped messages you are in (which Messages.app still doesn't let you do! Yeesh!)

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

A heads-up for those still on the fence about a password manager: 1Password 4 just went on sale for $7.99

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

I see Orchestra is shutting down. Anyone know of any good basic to do apps with collaborative functions? My wife and I used orchestra quite a bit to assign daily chores, etc. Thanks!

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Rocks posted:

I see Orchestra is shutting down. Anyone know of any good basic to do apps with collaborative functions? My wife and I used orchestra quite a bit to assign daily chores, etc. Thanks!

Wunderlist?

a glorious hole
Nov 21, 2012

Is there a good app for browsing Craigslist?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

a glorious hole posted:

Is there a good app for browsing Craigslist?

Mokriya something is pretty popular. Just search for that word in the store.

This one: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mokriya-craigslist-app-for/id597638475?mt=8

smackfu fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 10, 2013

mikon
Apr 5, 2009
Can someone who uses calvetica tell me how to change the colours of my calendars on ios6? I just upgraded my OS and they are now all god loving awful colours that are indistinguishable at a glance and I cannot find where to change it anymore.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

mikon posted:

Can someone who uses calvetica tell me how to change the colours of my calendars on ios6? I just upgraded my OS and they are now all god loving awful colours that are indistinguishable at a glance and I cannot find where to change it anymore.

Calvetica doesn't change your calendar colors anymore; you need to use the default calendar app or google calendar to set your colors.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

duckfarts posted:

Calvetica doesn't change your calendar colors anymore; you need to use the default calendar app or google calendar to set your colors.
And even google calendar doesn't always work. I've changed one of mine from red to orange about two days ago and it still hasn't changed on my devices.

Kruxy
May 19, 2004

Just a steel town girl on
a Saturday night, looking
for the fight of her life

Take a million photos a second of your dog sicking up on the bed!

http://codehookup.com/7111d989

*US iTunes Accounts only

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

smackfu posted:

Mokriya something is pretty popular. Just search for that word in the store.

This one: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mokriya-craigslist-app-for/id597638475?mt=8

The interface on this is great for quickly browsing stuff, but it sucks that there's no ipad version and all the pics are upscaled and super lovely quality. Know of any other apps that have a similar browsing interface that's built for ipad resoloution?

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.
The guys at Coffitivity (the service that lets you listen to ambient audio recordings of coffee shops) have released an iOS app, which I just posted about here.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Been using two different delivery tracking apps: Slice and Delivery Status Touch. Slice is pretty popular from what I understand, but the actual tracking seems to not work for me. It seems to import tracking numbers automatically from my email account (which is awesome), but it always claims that "tracking history is unavailable because we're waiting on updated information from the carrier." Meanwhile Delivery Status Touch, while requiring a little more user effort, seem to actually track things correctly.

Is that issue with Slice common? I love the UI and the automatic importing of order info, but I'll probably stick with Delivery Status Touch if it's consistent with actual tracking.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm having the same issue with Slice. Ill try that other app.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I know the Facebook app is pretty terrible but lately it seems to have gotten even worse somehow. Now it's cacheing a lot of content, too much content, so that it'll tell me a photo I posted has no likes/comments when in fact it should have several (confirmed via a notification and because they show up on the actual website on my computer) and no amount of reloading/force quitting the app fixes it. Sometimes my friends will post an update and hours later it'll still say "Soandso posted this 17 minutes ago…" Other times it'll show an update from a friend, again with no comments/likes, but when I click on it to leave a comment BAM an entire 20-post conversation has happened and I'm only now seeing it.

It was never this bad before.

a glorious hole
Nov 21, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

I know the Facebook app is pretty terrible but[...]

Last night mine gave me a generic [Friend] has shared a link. notification, timestamped as "Just now!" Nothing on my wall, nothing in most recent, tapped the notification and it was posted mid day Saturday. I wish they'd get their poo poo together.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

It's pretty bad for timeline review too. Most, if not all, of the stuff I approve on the phone app does not ever end up on my timeline.

Does anyone have a rec for a good timer app? I do a lot of presentations for work and I'd like to display a very visible countdown (or up) on my phone so I don't go over my time.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

a glorious hole posted:

Last night mine gave me a generic [Friend] has shared a link. notification, timestamped as "Just now!" Nothing on my wall, nothing in most recent, tapped the notification and it was posted mid day Saturday. I wish they'd get their poo poo together.

I get at least one of these a week.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

taco show posted:

Does anyone have a rec for a good timer app? I do a lot of presentations for work and I'd like to display a very visible countdown (or up) on my phone so I don't go over my time.
The plain ol' Clock app has tabs for "Stopwatch" and "Timer". Not sure if you needed something more fancy, but it's worth mentioning because a lot of people miss those.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I just need something that doesn't allow the screen to shut off, which I'm not sure is even possible without a jailbreak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

taco show posted:

I just need something that doesn't allow the screen to shut off, which I'm not sure is even possible without a jailbreak.

It's possible, but I'm not sure if you have to be plugged in.

• Locked thread