Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MixxMaster
Sep 15, 2005

tyler is a joke posted:

I'm looking for a decent crockpot that I can preferably buy on Amazon Prime.

I'm poor and would only want to spend in the 25-75 range. The reason I'm buying it is I'm poor and I'd like to be able to make a big batch of, say, ham and beans to eat for several meals.

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beac...+5+quart+cooker got one of these bad boys, it's been rock solid and used a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

I'm looking to replace a mirror - it was one of those tiny narrow deals from Target for like $15, but I'd like to replace it with one that is larger, like large enough that I don't have to duck and scrunch my shoulders in to see my whole body. Cheaper is better, able to resist shattering due to a cat knocking you onto the (carpeted) floor would also be nice, but mostly I want a good area-to-cost ratio.

Amazon Prime would be great, but also not required.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Any recommendations on a ceiling fan for a bedroom? Mine is busted.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Camping.. Intense! posted:

I have been looking for a particular movie poster but cant find a site that sells one of what i want, is there somewhere online that you can give an image in a JPG format (or similar) and then they can actually print out a poster in say size 27" x 40" for you and send it to you?

A copy shop. (e.g. Kinko's)

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

PaganGoatPants posted:

Any recommendations on a ceiling fan for a bedroom? Mine is busted.

I've always bought Hunter fans for bedrooms - even if you kick them up on max speed you'll hear the air they throw off before you ever hear the motor noise. A lot of home improvement stores have sales on them from time to time.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Has anyone tried the ZeroWater filtration system? Our city gets pretty good water, but the building is old, the pipes are lovely, and a glass of water out of the tap looks milky and gross. I'm not set on a ZeroWater in particular, but I really like the 23-cup dispenser.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Guy Axlerod posted:

A copy shop. (e.g. Kinko's)
Now FedEx Office if you're plugging something into Google Maps. :eng101:

punkrawk
Mar 10, 2003
Your mother is a whore

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

I've always bought Hunter fans for bedrooms - even if you kick them up on max speed you'll hear the air they throw off before you ever hear the motor noise. A lot of home improvement stores have sales on them from time to time.

Does anyone make bad ceiling fans these days? I got a Hampton Bay unit for $35 (!) last summer at Lowe's, and it's been a godsend for cooling, and it's whisper quiet. My unit sometimes runs weeks on-end, yet still no motor noise, bearing howl, or even wind noise at low & medium.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

So I'm moving into my own place next month! For cooking healthy, cheap food, what appliance would be the best decision?

A: Pressure Cooker
B: Crockpot
C: Rice cooker

And any recommendations on specific brands or whatnot to buy would be much appreciated.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Scholtz posted:

So I'm moving into my own place next month! For cooking healthy, cheap food, what appliance would be the best decision?

And any recommendations on specific brands or whatnot to buy would be much appreciated.

I'd go crockpot first. Get a big one, as you can always load less stuff into it, but it's nice to be able to make a giant batch of stew or whatever for the week. I have a 6 quart Hamilton Beach with nothing fancy, works great. Get some cheap stew meat, use those slow cooker spice packets they have, they're actually really nice, and let it cook on low for like 12 hours. Might have to do that this weekend myself...

A dedicated rice cooker (think Zojirushi, not Black and Decker) is really nice if you eat a lot of rice, as it cooks it far more consistent than a steamer. If you want it to steam veggies and stuff primarily, then look at the other type.

Pressure cookers are neat, but not as essential. Some stuff cooks a lot faster in them, but there's not a whole lot you need a pressure cooker for.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Yeah, I figured I'll at least get a crockpot because at the very very least, I can go to a salvation army and get a decent one for like $10.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

Scholtz posted:

I have this Zojirushi rice cooker, and I'll tell you, I use it much more often for other things than I do for making rice. I steam eggs a dozen at a time (instead of hard boiling them), veggies, and marinated chicken and fish at least once a week in it. I do still use it to cook rice and other grains, but more often for other foods.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Wedge Regret

Scholtz posted:

http://www.amazon.ca/Instant-Pot-IP...pressure+cooker

Apparently its all 3 but I can't speak to the quality.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Whiteycar posted:

http://www.amazon.ca/Instant-Pot-IP...pressure+cooker

Apparently its all 3 but I can't speak to the quality.

I have one and it handles pressure cooking and rice cooking fairly well, never tried to crock pot in one, though.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Has anyone tried the ZeroWater filtration system? Our city gets pretty good water, but the building is old, the pipes are lovely, and a glass of water out of the tap looks milky and gross. I'm not set on a ZeroWater in particular, but I really like the 23-cup dispenser.

I've got the big fridge size square 20 something cup version. The water quality is amazing but the dispenser nozzle thing leaks. I would go with the pitcher variants.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
So the girl who moved out of my new place took her cat with her but the cat smell is still there. I've shampooed the carpets but that didn't do much. What can I do to get rid of it?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Skrill.exe posted:

So the girl who moved out of my new place took her cat with her but the cat smell is still there. I've shampooed the carpets but that didn't do much. What can I do to get rid of it?

If the cat peed everywhere, nothing short of replacing the carpeting and padding will do. And even then you might need to seal the subfloor.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Dudebro posted:

Looking for a blender just to make smoothies (fruit and veggies). I was looking at the Blendtec or Vita-Mix, but figure that those are both overkill (or are they?) I'm hoping to also use it to shred kale (not necessarily liquify) before boiling it instead of doing it by hand because it's time consuming. Is there something decent that won't break the bank?

Waring makes great bar blenders for the money in my opinion and they have the option of looking nice.

Amelia Song posted:

I have this Zojirushi rice cooker, and I'll tell you, I use it much more often for other things than I do for making rice. I steam eggs a dozen at a time (instead of hard boiling them), veggies, and marinated chicken and fish at least once a week in it. I do still use it to cook rice and other grains, but more often for other foods.

I've always had the problem of flavors/smells imprinting in my rice cookers if I use them for things other than rice, or even just making saffron rice in them. Could you speak to this aspect of zojirushi cookers?

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

If the cat peed everywhere, nothing short of replacing the carpeting and padding will do. And even then you might need to seal the subfloor.

Oh no, it's not cat piss. It just smells like a cat smells.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Skrill.exe posted:

That's cat piss.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Skrill.exe posted:

If you've noticed any particular spots, used Nature's Miracle (an enzymatic cleaner).

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Not that I need it but it's kinda relevant now, is there a bulk enzymatic cleaner for carpet cleaning, or can you add it to a steam cleaner? There's gotta be another way than just cutting and tossing carpet.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Skrill.exe posted:

What does a cat smell like? I've never noticed a cat smell besides cat food or litterbox business.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

duckfarts posted:

Not that I need it but it's kinda relevant now, is there a bulk enzymatic cleaner for carpet cleaning, or can you add it to a steam cleaner? There's gotta be another way than just cutting and tossing carpet.

My wife found an enzyme-based floor cleaner concentrate at a health foods store she was shopping for produce at and decided to give it a try - turns out it smells exactly like nature's miracle and (from about a week's worth of testing) seems to be equally effective, but one bottle makes 10-15 gallons and cost $10 (vs the $20+/gallon for nature's miracle.) I'll see what the brand is when I get home, but just search Amazon for "enzyme cleaner concentrate" - there are plenty of options.

I have a cat that has a chronic peeing issue, in my experience its best to extract as much of the urine with a carpet cleaner (we use one of these) first and then hit the spot with an enzyme cleaner.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

KoB posted:

What does a cat smell like? I've never noticed a cat smell besides cat food or litterbox business.

Similar to a dog. Mostly like fur.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

signalnoise posted:

I've always had the problem of flavors/smells imprinting in my rice cookers if I use them for things other than rice, or even just making saffron rice in them. Could you speak to this aspect of zojirushi cookers?

I have never noticed an issue. Both the bowl and steamer tray are metal and I generally give them a quick wash and then pop them into the dishwasher.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

I'm looking for a software program similar to Scrivener that has better image handling capabilities. Like, if I wanted to paste in an image, draw on it, and have text on the side without losing functionality, or using a program that isn't really suited to such a purpose.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Are LED floodlights/fixtures worth the price? Looking to replace a fixture that requires new halogen bulbs once a month.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Patrovsky posted:

I'm looking for a software program similar to Scrivener that has better image handling capabilities. Like, if I wanted to paste in an image, draw on it, and have text on the side without losing functionality, or using a program that isn't really suited to such a purpose.

You could probably use Inkscape for this? It's basically open source Adobe Illustrator, in that it handles raster images and vector shapes (including text).

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Patrovsky posted:

Maybe OneNote? I don't remember if you can draw on the image but the rest is doable.

Edit: Took a break and did this for you. Looks like what you might be looking for.

Butt Savage has a new favorite as of 00:19 on Aug 4, 2013

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

PaganGoatPants posted:

Are LED floodlights/fixtures worth the price? Looking to replace a fixture that requires new halogen bulbs once a month.

Figure how many hours the lights are on per month, then shop around for LED replacements and check the lifetime hour rating and see if the LED unit is more cost effective. LEDs tend to last a really long time and don't really burn out as much as have diminished output after several thousand hours. Caveat; if the fixture is small/sealed off LEDs are susceptible to heat related failure.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Can anyone recommend food storage containers/tupperware? I'm wanting to get rid of an entire shelf of crap, clockwise from noon:

Don't want plastic anymore; small containers are dumb and never get used so I don't want any sets; the size of this one was good but they leak; and the lids of this one trapped food and gunk.

Rant aside, I'm looking for many 3 or 4 preferably glass/pyrex containers all the same size, roughly as big as the one with food in the picture.

editor
Feb 4, 2007

sweet_jones posted:

Rant aside, I'm looking for many 3 or 4 preferably glass/pyrex containers all the same size, roughly as big as the one with food in the picture.
http://www.amazon.com/s/?tag=duc0c-20&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=snapware%20glass

Have at it. Same company as Pyrex.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Need help. Drowning in dust.

I live in a terribly sealed 'new' house right on a fairly busy road in a semi-rural area, and every day my house has a new layer of visible dust. This isn't a problem really elsewhere because the rooms are big, the dust is spread out, and they're easy to hoover. My study (with sofa-bed that I regularly crash out on) though gets caked in dust each day. I will wake up in the morning and there will be a visible layer of dust on my phone screen. It's not good for my breathing and it's certainly not good for my monitors and white furniture.

So I'm looking for an air filter thing that will suck in and collect the dust/pollen/dirt/nastiness that gets pumped into my office, so that I don't feel clammy all the time when I'm in there and so I don't have to dust and hoover every single day. I'm in the UK!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Do you have a forced air ventilation system? If so there should be a large air filter on the cold air return side of the furnace. It's possible there is no filter installed and any time the blower kicks on its just circulating dust around. You may also need to have your ducts cleaned if you've been running the system without a filter.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Creepy Goat posted:

Need help. Drowning in dust.

I live in a terribly sealed 'new' house right on a fairly busy road in a semi-rural area, and every day my house has a new layer of visible dust. This isn't a problem really elsewhere because the rooms are big, the dust is spread out, and they're easy to hoover. My study (with sofa-bed that I regularly crash out on) though gets caked in dust each day. I will wake up in the morning and there will be a visible layer of dust on my phone screen. It's not good for my breathing and it's certainly not good for my monitors and white furniture.

So I'm looking for an air filter thing that will suck in and collect the dust/pollen/dirt/nastiness that gets pumped into my office, so that I don't feel clammy all the time when I'm in there and so I don't have to dust and hoover every single day. I'm in the UK!

Also what's your flooring situation like? Wood? Carpet? If it's carpet how thick is it?

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
I use one of these, sometimes:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Honeywell-HA170E1-True-HEPA-Purifier/dp/B003WE9NKY

It works pretty well, and if you lay it on its side it also doubles as a house fan on hot days.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
No air ventilation system, just a really cheaply built and poorly sealed house. I'll be moving out within a year hopefully but until then I just can't stand the dust anymore.

My office is very thin dense carpet, which luckily doesn't trap too much dust and is easily hoovered, although what I would give for hardwood flooring... It's just my worktops, monitors, books etc that all get covered, and my lungs.

One Swell Foop posted:

I use one of these, sometimes:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Honeywell-HA170E1-True-HEPA-Purifier/dp/B003WE9NKY

It works pretty well, and if you lay it on its side it also doubles as a house fan on hot days.

How loud is it? I used to have a flat black filter that burnt itself out and doesn't do anything anymore (it's about 15 years old), that was really loud but had an almost soothing sound to it. I don't mind a bit of background noise and long as it's not 'harsh'.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
It's fine, on full you definitely hear it but it's not harsh, it's just white noise. We often have it on full in the living room while watching TV and the TV just needs a little more volume, it's not like an industrial drier. Also, it has 3 settings, on low it's quieter than my fridge, but there again, I need a new fridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
I've been looking into a method for carrying a water bottle on my belt without it bouncing around too much, mostly for hiking and walking around convention floors. A little Amazon searching brought me to this Camelbak Max Gear, which looks good, but I can't seem to find a shot of its rear (:heysexy:). Does it have vertical straps along the back through which I can loop a belt, or will I need to look into picking up some method of securing it? Also, are there other alternatives for my needs? The pouch is ideal but I don't want it to be too much of a pain to fiddle with.

• Locked thread