Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SybilVimes posted:

Only so much...

Quite a few people here (in the UK) use it in the 'my gf/wife/lover' sense, rather than PC same-sex, but anyone over about 30 seems to assume you're in a same-sex relationship.

As a trans woman that is somewhat 'stealth', I had to point out the problem with this to my BF, who for a long time insisted on using 'partner' (as he had previously with his first wife), after seeing one too many 'second looks' after he called me his partner in public - once you prime people for considering that it's not a 'regular' heterosexual relationship, they start to overthink it.

I don't think you'll ever get rid of that connotation for many people, even if they're accepting of same-sex or other non-heteronormative relationships.

I never thought about that, but that's actually really interesting and a good point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Penguingo posted:

Hey I just realised why some people become suicide bombers.

Well maybe you could share with the rest of the class?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

UnnaturalSELECTION posted:

We're just friends

HEY NOW. <:mad:> Some goons experience their entire sex lives via the internet and that means their computer chair is the closest they'll ever get to a longterm sex partner. I'm sure they don't appreciate you dismissing their upholstered life partners like that.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I think I'm gonna go with "slam pig" from now on. Or partner or boyfriend, I guess.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

syscall girl posted:

Well maybe you could share with the rest of the class?

It's because they hear people call their partner "my boo" I thought that was obvious

Anyway I'm glad this lovely conversation has finished because now we can talk about what foods people enjoy.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
My favorite cereal is Boo Berry.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
My first Quakeworld u/n was Captain Crunch.

I didn't even know he was a famous hacker/phreaker guy I just liked the sound of it. :radcat:

Here is a recent picture of me:

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012
Question for YOSPOSters, what does the NICE! button do?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

jalopybrown posted:

Question for YOSPOSters, what does the NICE! button do?

Click it and find out.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

Red Metal posted:

Click it and find out.

I was worried it was going to be something terrible but it's actually pretty cool, recommending everyone tries it at least once.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I miss crunchberry cereal being available in Canada. I have to settle for fruitloops nowadays.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

My favorite cereal is Boo Berry.

My favourite cereal is a mixture of All Bran, All Bran Flakes and the fruit and nuts mix sold in Coles.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Man, you've let yourself go, Robin Williams :(

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

gleep gloop posted:

Ambien is fun but I haven't taken mine in forever. Sometimes it made me...weird.

I just want something that will knock me out and let me get some sleep. Will it do that? Still, even now haven't filled the prescription.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

abraxas posted:

Man, you've let yourself go, Robin Williams :(

Nah, he's just gearing up for one of his more dramatic roles.

Bearded Robin Williams = dramatic role, non-bearded Robin Williams = comedic role.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

He was clean shaven in One Hour Photo and What Dreams May Come.

This morning I found the director's cut DVD of Pineapple Express on the street. Dude, Where's My Car? was next to it, but I left that for the next person.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Will I get more use out of a big rear end comfy chair or a loveseat? I'm moving to a smaller apartment and want room, I guess the loveseat would be okay for people to sleep on if they really needed to or two people to sit on for a movie but I'm usually just gently caress it I really like the chair and ill just buy a beanbag or folding chairs for my friends but also I like to sit sideways a little so maybe a loveseat is better, but my neighbor down the street is selling this bigass comfy chair that I like and I have to decide today, man, this is tough. It's a bigass deep reddish brown leather chair versus a loveseat

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

You can't gently caress a loveseat so go with the chair.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
How would you gently caress a chair

You could gently caress on a chair I guess

EXTREME INSERTION has a new favorite as of 16:39 on Aug 10, 2013

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Oh. Sounds like you're more of a loveseat kind of guy, then. Well, it takes all sorts.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Why would loving a loveseat be more difficult than loving a chair? I'd assume that where furniture-loving is concerned, where there's a will, there's a way.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Which would be better to watch a ravens game on is what I'm asking.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

A barstool.

edit: The chair sounds nice, go with the chair.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Oh, right, sorry. I thought you were looking to gently caress your furniture.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Yeah, think I'm doing that, whatever I get I'm stuck with for a while but I'm already pretty attached to it

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Penguingo posted:

Oh, right, sorry. I thought you were looking to gently caress your furniture.

UnnaturalSELECTION posted:

Yeah, think I'm doing that, whatever I get I'm stuck with for a while but I'm already pretty attached to it

You kinky sonnovabitch.

Edit: if you're getting stuck then use more lube.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Does this solve your problem?

Chair.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
Material possessions are death.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Everyone dies eventually.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
I hope you're next, and by that I mean I hope somebody gives you a huge comfy chair and a bigass TV to enjoy at your leisure.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

You are not your freakin khakis.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Big rear end comfy chair. A loveseat is just a couch that sucks at being a couch.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

You are not your freakin khakis.

If you sit in your chair long enough your flesh will eventually rot and merge into the fabric of the chair and your clothing and then you will be your khakis.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

If you're sitting in a chair long enough to meld to it, you probably gave up wearing pants a long time ago.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

*looks at totaly hosed up computer chair worn out by gaming* I just wanted to destroy something beautiful.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

*looks at totaly hosed up computer chair worn out by gaming* I just wanted to destroy something beautiful.

Game on a hardwood floor. The discomfort keeps you focused and on edge. Pros use cold concrete, but I'm not that pro.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I had a roommate who would play Civilization for 12 hours at a time while sitting on an exercise ball.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Crow Jane posted:

If you're sitting in a chair long enough to meld to it, you probably gave up wearing pants a long time ago.

Some of the guys in the EMS threads have probably seen cases like this and could tell us what they were wearing but I'm not sure I want to know that level of detail.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Apparently sitting on an exercise ball is a thing; a couple artist friends use them because you need to utilize proper posture while sitting on one. A couple other artist friends have switched over to a standing desk. Me, my chair is beat to hell & instead of doing work I'm on Something Awful all day. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

One time eggplan wizard probated me for a day and on that day I decided to play my first match of dota. Now nearly a year later my pants are a little tighter and my windrunner is near godlike.

• Locked thread