Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Zephonith posted:

https://register.thesecretworld.com/ then make an account. There's a little bit in the left hand side to put in your key, and it also should give you a link to download the client.

I had already created an account, but there was no link. However, I just received an email in German with the link. I have no idea why it is in German (my Funcom account language is English as has been since 2001), but the link works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

doomfunk posted:

The last runspeed upgrade is amazing, too. If they're saying skip the first one, I guess that's only mildly stupid of them. If they're saying skip all sprint upgrades, they're completely retarded.
You'll spend far more time waiting for DoTs to expire sprinting in this game than doing anything else, it's pretty much the main thing that limits how fast you do everything else and you should get all of the sprint upgrades as soon as you can.

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.
So I'm noticing that I'm getting my sprint knocked off by damage way more than I used to, was something changed or is it just crappy luck?

landobee
Nov 25, 2004
Be Water
Does anyone have a trial/buddy key for me to try the game?
Wanting to play a mmorpg and this one really seems to look different than other ones, but wanted to test it before buying :)

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Someone else will get to this before I figure it out I imagine but everyone else, where the hell are the keys, I know I used to have some in my account and I know I haven't used them.

If no one does get back to you before, you can post or PM me your email and I can send you one that way.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
8LBN4QDDEFJ9PDFFQMAT

(You can find it under "Invite a Buddy!" at https://register.thesecretworld.com)

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

8LBN4QDDEFJ9PDFFQMAT

(You can find it under "Invite a Buddy!" at https://register.thesecretworld.com)

I was there, but it only has the form to enter an email now. Unless you just send one to a dummy account and copy/paste the code.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

OneEightHundred posted:

You'll spend far more time waiting for DoTs to expire sprinting in this game than doing anything else, it's pretty much the main thing that limits how fast you do everything else and you should get all of the sprint upgrades as soon as you can.

Yeah, tapping X is entirely reflexive for me now. The moment combat ends, I'm hitting X to sprint even if I'll be popping a rocket off at another combat event or something in 30m.

landobee
Nov 25, 2004
Be Water

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

8LBN4QDDEFJ9PDFFQMAT

Thanks! And also thanks to guppy for the effort :)

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein

DjLando posted:

Thanks! And also thanks to guppy for the effort :)

Dude, I put two on the last page. :(

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Brain In A Jar posted:

I read someone in chat saying that 100k for the first runspeed upgrade isn't worth it?

Are they full of poo poo?

I like going fast.

That strikes me as stupidity or trolling. I can't vouch for sprint 2 specifically, but I tried to jump from 2 to 4 directly and couldn't - I needed 3 as a prereq. I can't see how 2 would be optional.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

darxide posted:

Please just quit the game. Everybody would be happier.

Reporting bugs is apparently trolling. This guy does not like me.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Len posted:

Reporting bugs is apparently trolling. This guy does not like me.

If it's any consolation, I don't like him. I can imagine his smug loving face when he came up with an exciting new way to spell "darkside" and I want to punch it.

Is this the official forums you're hanging around being hated on?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Pilchenstein posted:

If it's any consolation, I don't like him. I can imagine his smug loving face when he came up with an exciting new way to spell "darkside" and I want to punch it.

Is this the official forums you're hanging around being hated on?

The official testlive forums. I can't actually post on the official live forums. This guy has in his signature the line "I am not a nice person" so you KNOW he's an incredibly smug person.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Darxide is a twat. On the official forums he started asking people for ways to extract the ability text from the game files. Being the upstanding citizen I am, I pointed out that data mining is against Funcom's terms of service and many threads have been disappearing that even mention it.

His response is that if he can hand copy an ability description he should be able to extract it for his stupid little deck building website.

Oh well, we need special snow flakes to remind us the value of :10bux:.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

HughGRect posted:

Darxide is a twat. On the official forums he started asking people for ways to extract the ability text from the game files. Being the upstanding citizen I am, I pointed out that data mining is against Funcom's terms of service and many threads have been disappearing that even mention it.

His response is that if he can hand copy an ability description he should be able to extract it for his stupid little deck building website.

Oh well, we need special snow flakes to remind us the value of :10bux:.

Please tell you reported him for it.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
To be fair that's a rather stupid rule to put into terms of service.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Len posted:

This guy has in his signature the line "I am not a nice person" so you KNOW he's an incredibly smug person.

Wow. He's so edgy I bet he's invisible to radar.

landobee
Nov 25, 2004
Be Water

Frankenstein Dad posted:

Dude, I put two on the last page. :(

Oh drat! I figured they would be taken already..
Did not mean to pass you by; thanks for the keys, I'm sure someone else will have use for it :)

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
It's cool! Hope you enjoy the game!

Can someone remind me what the theoretical explanations are for the huge pillars of light showing up in Agartha? And my display turning all monochrome!

Okita
Aug 31, 2004
King of toilets.

Frankenstein Dad posted:

And here's another one for anyone who wants it:

LNLM8AHLZKLANF7NVUXC

Thanks!

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
So I'm re-downloading this after several months away. Apparently I just missed an event. Darn. I thought for sure funcom would have emailed me if that was going to happen, since they never stop doing it just to remind me that the game exists.

Anyway the download client is absolutely atrocious. I guess I forgot. Or thought they might have thought to improve it. Nope. It's been downloading for more than 24 hours straight, now, and due to the relatively slow speed that constantly slows to a crawl for random lengths of time, it's only downloaded 23 GB. Well, at least that's progress, let me check how much more there is! Oh, -7 GB. Negative seven. It's downloaded 23/16 GB.

I really like the things they've done with this game. I do. I just wish they'd spend more time on getting the basic poo poo right. This reminds me of when I was last actually playing, during the Mayan event, where they had good ideas, but the poor implementation left them so broken that they ended up giving the contest prize away to every single person who played. And yeah, I know their justification was that a lot of people were using "exploits", but the event was so broken that it wasn't even clear that the main "exploit" wasn't something that was supposed to happen. On top of that, the event's mechanics caused massive problems with normal gameplay. As much as I really liked it when it worked right, it was really a gargantuan clusterfuck.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Felt kinda disheartening when I realised last night that I can get an alt to the end of a Polaris run in sub 2.5h, when the same zone took me 10 the first time through.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

thehumandignity posted:

So I'm re-downloading this after several months away. Apparently I just missed an event. Darn. I thought for sure funcom would have emailed me if that was going to happen, since they never stop doing it just to remind me that the game exists.

Anyway the download client is absolutely atrocious. I guess I forgot. Or thought they might have thought to improve it. Nope. It's been downloading for more than 24 hours straight, now, and due to the relatively slow speed that constantly slows to a crawl for random lengths of time, it's only downloaded 23 GB. Well, at least that's progress, let me check how much more there is! Oh, -7 GB. Negative seven. It's downloaded 23/16 GB.

I really like the things they've done with this game. I do. I just wish they'd spend more time on getting the basic poo poo right. This reminds me of when I was last actually playing, during the Mayan event, where they had good ideas, but the poor implementation left them so broken that they ended up giving the contest prize away to every single person who played. And yeah, I know their justification was that a lot of people were using "exploits", but the event was so broken that it wasn't even clear that the main "exploit" wasn't something that was supposed to happen. On top of that, the event's mechanics caused massive problems with normal gameplay. As much as I really liked it when it worked right, it was really a gargantuan clusterfuck.

1) They did send out an email about the anniversary.

2) There is no possible way you can argue walking mayans through the wards in the academy wasn't an exploit.

I got no justification for the patcher thing though that's just funcompetence.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Len posted:

2) There is no possible way you can argue walking mayans through the wards in the academy wasn't an exploit.

Er, because there was no way you could stop it from happening, since they popped up literally everywhere, and they (Funcom) never announced that you shouldn't be doing that until after the event ended? My argument was never that it should have been allowed, only that it was sloppy implementation of the event that lead to it happening in the first place. I would be more inclined to place blame on the people allegedly cheating if they were exploiting a clear glitch in the game, but Funcom decided to have these little assholes just appear everywhere in the world and that included places with environmental hazards you lead mobs into to kill them as part of normal gameplay. There's a myriad of ways Funcom could have avoided that.

Plus that wasn't even the biggest problem with it, the biggest problem was that the Mayan zombies would appear anywhere, at any time, and during fights they would constantly pop up, get cut down by AOE, and then eventually be replaced by much, much stronger ones, making fights arbitrarily harder during normal gameplay for no real reason.

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Aug 11, 2013

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

thehumandignity posted:

Er, because there was no way you could stop it from happening, since they popped up literally everywhere, and they (Funcom) never announced that you shouldn't be doing that until after the event ended? My argument was never that it should have been allowed, only that it was sloppy implementation of the event that lead to it happening in the first place. I would be more inclined to place blame on the people allegedly cheating if they were exploiting a clear glitch in the game, but Funcom decided to have these little assholes just appear everywhere in the world and that included places with environmental hazards you lead mobs into to kill them as part of normal gameplay.

The people who were exploiting were leading hundreds or thousands of Mayans through the wards and grossly inflating their kill numbers and Quns or whatever they were called. That kind of outrageous manipulation of a game mechanic is the definition of an exploit.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

packetmantis posted:

The people who were exploiting were leading hundreds or thousands of Mayans through the wards and grossly inflating their kill numbers and Quns or whatever they were called. That kind of outrageous manipulation of a game mechanic is the definition of an exploit.

Okay? I don't understand what the purpose of this was.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

thehumandignity posted:

Okay? I don't understand what the purpose of this was.

To get Mayan Remains in bulk. You needed a shitload of Mayan K'in currency to buy stuff like the holiday clothes, and they didn't drop that often.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'll agree that the event was poorly thought-out and all staff going on holidays right after its launch was seriously stupid.

Still, the wards exploit was pretty clear-cut. GM statements to that effect had been around since the 2nd or 3rd day of the event. The exploit wasn't accidentally dragging a few zombies through camp/academy wards, it was doing it on purpose to farm them for their rewards and event points. No one cared about people who killed a handful of zombies that way while doing missions in Kingsmouth/Savage Coast, and those people weren't the reason Funcom decided to give out the rewards to everyone.

orcane fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Aug 11, 2013

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

guppy posted:

To get Mayan Remains in bulk. You needed a shitload of Mayan K'in currency to buy stuff like the holiday clothes, and they didn't drop that often.

Yeah, I just don't understand what the purpose was of reiterating the point of "killing mayans with the academy runes was an exploit".

In further funcompetence news, I've actually started the game up to a happy little bug. It doesn't actually ruin anything, from what I can tell, it's just a minor annoyance. For some reason, the game is detecting that I have 32 MB of VRAM. 32 MB. I have no idea why it thinks this, and I double- and triple-checked to make sure everything is working right, and it is. I have two Nvidia 640M's, and I'm able to run the game comfortably at ultra-high settings as always. It's just a minor nuisance that the game stops me every time I open the client to tell me I need to upgrade my computer, and I'm unable to use the pre-set graphics settings. I wouldn't think it was worth mentioning normally, but this game (Which I really dearly love, I can't stress that enough) just seems to have bugs everywhere you look.

But whatever, once I have it up and running it runs smooth as butter, except for the occasional (frequent) random spikes of lag, but that isn't funcom's fault (:australia:).

Regarding actually playing the game, I think I am going to start out by switching my build up a bit. I have three builds: an assault rifle healing build which is my go-to for running dungeons, a guns/sword pure DPS build for when I don't feel like healing or the odd time that actually is in higher demand, and an all-rounder guns/sword build for general questing. It's nothing real fancy, it uses mixed-and-matched passives to proc penetrating hits with focus attacks from guns, hard-hitting finishers, and passives that synergise with my attacks (Sweetspot, advantage me) to give me a boost to my survivability to minimise down-time.

It's a good build, simple and effective, that I started building at release after toying with a lot of stuff during the beta. But I've just suddenly found myself really dissatisfied watching my little Illuminati cowboy shooting things that are standing right in front of him punching him in the face, so for purely aesthetic purposes I'm going to see if I can re-tool my build to make blades my primary active weapon. I'd like to keep guns as my secondary, since I have this snazzy cowboy outfit I've put together and went through the trouble of crafting an old west-style skin for the pistols from the Mayan event, but if there's no real effective way to make that work, I'm open to changing my schtick.

Oh, and I have the entire inner circle filled out, along with nearly everything from the outer ring of assault rifles, most of pistols and blades, maybe half of elementalism and blood magic, and a few abilities from blades, hammers, and fists. I have like 150 AP I'm sitting on, though, so I could dump it wherever if anyone has any suggestions.

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 11, 2013

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Are you running dungeons with a gun/sword DPS build? Because if you are getting a ranged DPS build should be your next goal. Melee DPS is frowned on in nightmares and being that is a good way to end up kicked from groups before they start.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Len posted:

Are you running dungeons with a gun/sword DPS build? Because if you are getting a ranged DPS build should be your next goal. Melee DPS is frowned on in nightmares and being that is a good way to end up kicked from groups before they start.

The pistols are the primary means of attacking, same as my general purpose build. Really the only difference is the passives that keep me alive when soloing or in a small group are switched out for pure damage.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

thehumandignity posted:

The pistols are the primary means of attacking, same as my general purpose build. Really the only difference is the passives that keep me alive when soloing or in a small group are switched out for pure damage.

You can do whatever you want in normals and usually in elites but it will get you kicked from Nightmare groups. A lot of the mechanics put melee DPS in increased, unnecessary, and severe risk and also limit their DPS output because your contact time is reduced, and they haven't buffed melee accordingly because PvPers are whiny pricks. If you show up with melee weapons to DPS a Nightmare dungeon, you may very well be kicked outright before you start. If you aren't, and you get yourself killed by a melee range mechanic, you will hear about it.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't use melee in dungeons, why are we talking about this. :psyduck:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

thehumandignity posted:

Because you straight up said

quote:

an assault rifle healing build which is my go-to for running dungeons, a guns/sword pure DPS build for when I don't feel like healing

Which implies that you take sword into a dungeon as a dps which is what we're saying not to do. And even if you don't actually use the sword for damage in the dungeon you'll be loving your dps if you don't have any second weapon damage abilities.

Len fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 12, 2013

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
If either of your weapons is melee you are melee, because you have to be in melee range to deliver full DPS.

edit: technically blade has a ranged consumer I think but it's bad

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

thehumandignity posted:

Because when someone asked you the direct question "Do you use melee in dungeons?", you couldn't figure out how to type "No".

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

orcane posted:

Still, the wards exploit was pretty clear-cut. GM statements to that effect had been around since the 2nd or 3rd day of the event. The exploit wasn't accidentally dragging a few zombies through camp/academy wards, it was doing it on purpose to farm them for their rewards and event points. No one cared about people who killed a handful of zombies that way while doing missions in Kingsmouth/Savage Coast, and those people weren't the reason Funcom decided to give out the rewards to everyone.
Even if it was an exploit, it speaks to how bad they are at what's becoming more and more crucial: Getting updates out fast, especially for things like that which should have been fixable with a server-only patch, and they just got done with the exact same "let's not bother rushing a band-aid hotfix for something that'll be a missed opportunity in a week" problem with the hosed Fusang queue, even when they admitted they knew what was causing it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I am so ready for any aux weapons. Funcom needs to hurry this poo poo up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Uh, dumb newbie question, but I couldn't find any answers by googling.

I apparently somehow enabled something I believe is called "reticule targeting' which prevents freely targeting parts of the UI with the mouse. How the hell do I leave it?

• Locked thread