Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Srice posted:

resulted in Nintendo's developers falling behind and losing out on valuable experience in developing HD games

Most current gen games aren't particularly HD either. A lot of 360 games render at noticably less than 720p. COD4 and Oblivion were 1024x600, GTA4 on the PS3 was apparently 640p.

It isn't some giant leap from the Wii at 480p to the other consoles at 1080p. The whole thing sounds like an excuse covering for something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Well "HD games" in this context has more to do with just resolution, it involves higher textures, more "Stuff" on screen etc. Basically everything the 360 and PS3 could do better than the Wii.

The Wii was more or less treading old Gamecube ground for nintendo, aside from developing the wiimote technology. This is a rather large leap.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

fivegears4reverse posted:

Motion Controls

I remember when the Wii first announced the whole motion control thing, my friends and I were pumped. A game that reads your movement for swinging a sword? I can aim in an FPS as if I was using an actual gun? Friggin' sweet!

That enthusiasm lasted for about two seconds after we actually tried the Wiimote. It couldn't read directions for swings very well, aiming was too jittery and imprecise, even just navigating a menu was easier with a d-pad, because it was so easy to get the wiimote and the cursor desynced. Motion controls sound good in theory, but tend to be hot garbage for anything that isn't a minigame of some kind.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Motion controls are never going to be worth a drat until there's a way to get haptic feedback on them. The first time you swing your arm all the way down but on-screen, your character's sword gets blocked halfway through the stroke and bounces back up, you're off sync and there's not a loving thing you can do about it. It's inherent.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

Motion controls are never going to be worth a drat until there's a way to get haptic feedback on them. The first time you swing your arm all the way down but on-screen, your character's sword gets blocked halfway through the stroke and bounces back up, you're off sync and there's not a loving thing you can do about it. It's inherent.

I really wonder why none of the three companies have tried putting rumble in their motion control knockoffs for this exact reason. It wouldn't stop you from swinging past where your sword got blocked, but it would at least make it -feel- like you hit something, and would help fill that disconnect between the player and the action on-screen. Hell, seeing as the Kinect doesn't even use a controller, a developer could probably set up a cheap 5 dollar plastic bat or whatever with a rumble motor and IR/other sort of tracking system in it. Are spinny weights really that difficult/expensive to squeeze into a motion controller?

EDIT: Oh wow, the wii controllers actually do have basic rumble, I've literally never felt it in the long while I've played games with a wiimote.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 10, 2013

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

CapnAndy posted:

I was really pumped with motion plus when that came out "oh gosh! Nintendo fixed it all!" and then having to recalibrate the drat wiimote every 5 minutes in Skyward Sword made me hate the game so much I quit playing and never even finished the first dungeon.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

CapnAndy posted:

There's never going to be a solution to this particular issue unless you can get the arm to stop swinging (and recoil) in synch with the on screen action, and at that point we start drawing up marketing plans for the Nintendo Holodeck U. I think most of the people who really liked them on the Wii accepted that they weren't perfect, but rather were good enough that the immersion they got from waving the WiiMote around far exceeded calibration issues, accuracy issues, and other weirdness that they suffered.

The thing is, there are many popular videogame genres that simply don't work well with motion controls. Basically, anything that stresses timing and accuracy is going to suffer to some extent. If I had to waggle my arm to throw a fireball in the new Street Fighter, I'd loving not play the new Street Fighter (and then be accused by some fanboy that I hate fun or something).

Neurolimal posted:

I really wonder why none of the three companies have tried putting rumble in their motion control knockoffs for this exact reason...Are spinny weights really that difficult/expensive to squeeze into a motion controller?

I imagine it's battery issues, then size constraints. The WiiMote IS doing a lot compared to, say, the 360 or PS4 pads. Having full rumble in it (as opposed to that weaksauce cellphone buzz) probably kills the battery faster.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

The thing is, there are many popular videogame genres that simply don't work well with motion controls. Basically, anything that stresses timing and accuracy is going to suffer to some extent. If I had to waggle my arm to throw a fireball in the new Street Fighter, I'd loving not play the new Street Fighter.

The DBZ tenkaiehci 3 for the wii used full motion controls for all that fireball goodness and outside of some of the more complicated gestures (like the kamehameha) actually worked quite well, and was surprisingly fun. Also there was a wwe game that did all that motion business too, but got so gutted of features that I never picked it up. but I was REALLY curious about it.

If you don't like that you must hate fun!

(and then be accused by some fanboy that I hate fun or something).

:colbert:

In all seriousness, Nintendo either needed to double down on the wiie (make the motions plus better, up the motion detection in the nunchuk, and add a couple of buttons to the wii remote, and shove top of the top of the line graphics and physics into it)

OR

produce a completely new totally different console that's doing it's own thing.

as a wii owner, if there was a "Super" Wii with cra-zay power, I'd buy it.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Trollologist posted:

The DBZ tenkaiehci 3 for the wii used full motion controls for all that fireball goodness and outside of some of the more complicated gestures (like the kamehameha) actually worked quite well, and was surprisingly fun.

I specified Fighting Game, not 'Garbage Anime Cash-In Console Port With Waggle Mode' (this is a real genre)

:smugbert:

It's surprisingly fun for some people, but the sorts of people playing actual fighters, like Street Fighter, Guilty Gear, Marvel vs. Capcom, BlazBlue, Tekken, and King of Fighters, they are not going to play them with motion controls. Unless they redesign those games to work around motion controls, it's not going to work well. And then they lose their core audience in exchange for what? Temporary gains, at best.

The other problem is that for all the hilarity of watching grown rear end men throw imaginary kamehamehas at their TV's, most people who play fighting games would prefer consistent controls. Motion controls just aren't consistent, to make them consistent would require MUCH better hardware than is realistic to expect in an affordable package. Not to mention how much work would have to go into making games that make the best use of that technology. The end result would still end up being a lot like the Wii, where implementation was half-assed if it wasn't just flat out awful most of the time.

It's fairly telling that even Smash Bros Brawl couldn't figure out what the hell to do with motion controls (except for making a control scheme so bad that it made buying a pro-controller feel like a good and reasonable investment).

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
The Wiimote really was way before it's time. It was never accurate enough, even after motion plus it still made most games aside from WiiSports and Co. more difficult than they ought to be just by virtue of having to deal with it's fiddliness.

Frankly, I'm glad that the thing has been moved over to peripheral status. Replacing it with the 1P-only gamepad was a bonheaded move though.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

One and the Same posted:

The Wiimote really was way before it's time.

The Wiimote was only moderately before its time. Now the Power Glove... there's something that was way before its time.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

They tried half-assedly, with the clear "if all else fails" being that it's still the new Wii, and those people will swarm back to buy one for themselves or for their eight year old no matter how this shot at "core" gamers goes.
Well it was half-assed in both directions, but everything about Wii U is halfassed, from the hardware to Nintendo's own games. I think their resources are spread too thin to be able to make great stuff for two systems when one of them is a high definition console.

But they were never going to get their Wii install base back the moment they went away from motion controls. A great many people who bought the Wii bought it because they don't understand controllers and have no interest in learning how to understand controllers and will never understand controllers. I don't know if Nintendo thought that such people would want to 'graduate' to a conventional controller, but it was a clear miscalculation.

The unfortunate thing, for me, is that the Wiimote and Nunchuck is actually a really fun controller to hold. Having the controller split up into two hands means less wrist and palm soreness and i can just kinda let my arms dangle loose when I play games like Xenoblade. I wish all controllers could disconnect into two halves and that I didn't have to cram my hands together.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 10, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Srice posted:

I remember some pretty hardcore fans would insist that HD was just a fad. It was a confusing view then, and in hindsight it's quite hilarious.

It certainly worked out for the Wii, but it sucks that it ultimately resulted in Nintendo's developers falling behind and losing out on valuable experience in developing HD games. With SMT x Fire Emblem being a joint collaboration, it would be neat if Nintendo could set up more collaborative works with other developers. It'd certainly help to have access to people that are experienced in making HD assets.

:stare:

I don't doubt you but it shocks me.

I'm a pretty hardcore Nintendo nut but my attitude about it was I thought the Wii was only going to be around for three to four years tops and by that point they'd be ready to introduce a new console. As a lower economy item it would sell just based on the fact the games would be cheaper and the console would be cheaper. I knew HD was around the corner but felt Wii could survive skipping it. The point of the Wii was never to compete directly with PS3/360 on technology but subvert them through motion control and economic pricing. I was right that it could survive skipping it but it ended up going end of 06 to end of 2012. Way too long.

Even so, I think some people act pish posh when comparing Wii games to HD games. Sorry, Xenoblade Chronicles is a loving marvel to observe regardless of jaggies and lack of HD. I don't need it to look smooth for it to look incredible. Same goes to Galaxy. And I doubt Xenoblade specifically would have ever been made if it was a PS3 game. The costs would have been ridiculous. The biggest benefit of being a generation behind is having more experience in the tools you're working with and the cost of designing to be optimal.

HD is long overdue for Nintendo and it's disappointing they weren't working in it already.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

:stare:

I don't doubt you but it shocks me.

I'm a pretty hardcore Nintendo nut but my attitude about it was I thought the Wii was only going to be around for three to four years tops and by that point they'd be ready to introduce a new console. As a lower economy item it would sell just based on the fact the games would be cheaper and the console would be cheaper. I knew HD was around the corner but felt Wii could survive skipping it. The point of the Wii was never to compete directly with PS3/360 on technology but subvert them through motion control and economic pricing. I was right that it could survive skipping it but it ended up going end of 06 to end of 2012. Way too long.

Even so, I think some people act pish posh when comparing Wii games to HD games. Sorry, Xenoblade Chronicles is a loving marvel to observe regardless of jaggies and lack of HD. I don't need it to look smooth for it to look incredible. Same goes to Galaxy. And I doubt Xenoblade specifically would have ever been made if it was a PS3 game. The costs would have been ridiculous. The biggest benefit of being a generation behind is having more experience in the tools you're working with and the cost of designing to be optimal.

HD is long overdue for Nintendo and it's disappointing they weren't working in it already.

The Wii killed a lot of good games for me. When I was playing Xenoblade, I couldn't help but think it was just such a crying shame that a game with such gorgeous art direction and that really pushed the limits of what the Wii could do, was so obviously hobbled by the hardware. It just looked so bad on my HDTV, even with component cables. I had the same issue with Monster Hunter Tri.

Maybe it would have been better If I still had a CRT, but for the life of me I can't think of a single person that still uses one. I know someone who has one holed away in the garage I guess.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

I specified Fighting Game, not 'Garbage Anime Cash-In Console Port With Waggle Mode' (this is a real genre)

:smugbert:

http://www.gamestop.com/wii/games/mortal-kombat-armageddon/65293

You were saying?

Oh and to everyone saying that the wii-remote was only for people who "don't understand controllers"

I bought the wii because I was TIRED of traditional control schemes. Not because I can't understand them. And I bet a lot of you who bought the wii did it for the same reason.

Having the Classic controller pro as an option for your fighting game and traditional controller fans is a great Idea, but I still prefer the motion controls 99% of the time.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

And I doubt Xenoblade specifically would have ever been made if it was a PS3 game. The costs would have been ridiculous.

It could have been made on any other console without sacrificing a thing. It might have taken longer, but the costs would likely have been offset by a larger print run (because the print run we got was small as hell), better marketing (because the game was hardly marketed and had to be all but begged for localization), leading to bigger sales.

Also, it probably would have been localized sooner, and it wouldn't have been an utterly retarded GameStop exclusive. And there's a good chance that it would have eventually gone digital on the other consoles, which could lead to an extended sales life as people pick it up on a whim off of PSN or XBL.

quote:

The biggest benefit of being a generation behind is having more experience in the tools you're working with and the cost of designing to be optimal.

This is only an advantage if you have the games or are able to quickly produce the games that support this, and the developers who want to develop for you. The Wii U has none of this.

Nintendo literally built hardware that they were not ready to make games for, hardware that targets a generation that almost every important third party developer and publisher is looking to leave behind. At this point, Nintendo has to hope that they can A) get the sales of the system up to such an extent that these companies feel they can afford to dedicate time to making a version of a given multiplatform game for the Wii U, and B) the Xbone and the PS4 have to tank so hard that it makes the Wii U's launch look like a blockbuster smash hit.

That's not a particularly impressive rebuttal. Mortal Kombat Armageddon was a bad fighting game on EVERY console it appeared on.

fivegears4reverse fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 10, 2013

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Uh, Armageddon is possibly the worst non-N64 Mortal Kombat game available. Its one redeeming factor is kicking off MK9's story.

That said I totally agree with you, and vastly prefer immersive/enjoyable controls over hyper competitive practical controls. It's why I play games with a controller over a mouse + keyboard whenever the option is available.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm trying to play Twilight Princess on the Wii right now and I HATE having to swing the drat thing to do something trivial as attacking. It only registers like half my swings too which is just aggravating. I'm thankful you could at least turn off motion controls for the bow. If I knew the controls would be pure poo poo I would've gotten the Gamecube version instead. Playing as the wolf is OK since yuu can just hold down the attack button, release it, and kill everything.

EDIT: I've tried flicking it instead of swinging, but if I do that it registers perhaps a third of my swings.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 10, 2013

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

So making Xenoblade for a different system would have its increased costs offset by higher sales? So development time of those assets for such a huge world would have been solved by throwing money at it? In the case of the Wii making assets that were simpler did let them make more assets and a larger world. These are things that also attracted the Monster Hunter Franchise and Capcoms abilty to be terrible with money. That and huge user base.

This changes though with time. 3D Assets are a major timesink for a project but with better tools and faster computers, the heavy lifting needed to make and revisions assets becomes easier but it does stay a very labor intensive task, unless your making a simpler game or 2D.

Monolithsoft has been hiring many new people just to ramp up production on the next game to meet the needs of just a higher resolution game.

I also make the argument that the game would not have been published with its long development cycle and brand new ip by anyone else.

Xenoblades was a long project with some veterans deciding that they were getting sick of the jrpg genre. Its a shame it didn't sell better in the US but it hasn't hurt the studio at all.

Maybe Namco? Konami perhaps. American publishers with a jrpg studio?

PS. Monlithsoft is turning into some sort of design utopia with a slogan paraphrased "no crunchtime" which is as crazy to the game industry as saying the "ice cream truck only takes bitcoin".

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

I specifically remember when Nintendo put out that the Wii wasn't going to support HD that the only people who didn't think HD was important were Nintendo fans, and now a whole bunch of people have turned 2005 into 2001 in their heads. Weird.

One annoying part of Nintendo's rejection of HD at the time was how they claimed that HD was the doom of the gaming industry. This attracted a contingent of luddites, and whenever you tried to explain to these fans that HD was really happening, you were met with dismissive rants about "gray-and-brown shooters" (even as they played a gray-and-brown Twilight Princess).

Renoistic posted:

I'm trying to play Twilight Princess on the Wii right now and I HATE having to swing the drat thing to do something trivial as attacking. It only registers like half my swings too which is just aggravating. I'm thankful you could at least turn off motion controls for the bow. If I knew the controls would be pure poo poo I would've gotten the Gamecube version instead. Playing as the wolf is OK since yuu can just hold down the attack button, release it, and kill everything.

After my disappointment with the controls in Twilight Princess, I grabbed the Gamecube version as soon as it came out because I knew it would become a classic rarity. Not only are the controls superior, but the world geometry is oriented as originally intended.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

Toady posted:

One annoying part of Nintendo's rejection of HD at the time was how they claimed that HD was the doom of the gaming industry. This attracted a contingent of luddites, and whenever you tried to explain to these fans that HD was really happening, you were met with dismissive rants about "gray-and-brown shooters" (even as they played a gray-and-brown Twilight Princess).

To their credit how many software developers have closed down since the wii came out? And whats the cost of a AAA game these days? The rise of "indie" game developers and self published games is partly from the rising cost of making a game and publishers less willing to throw money into new IP's due to costs. HD isn't the doom of anything but it can be expensive as hell.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Joink posted:

To their credit how many software developers have closed down since the wii came out? And whats the cost of a AAA game these days? The rise of "indie" game developers and self published games is partly from the rising cost of making a game and publishers less willing to throw money into new IP's due to costs. HD isn't the doom of anything but it can be expensive as hell.

I know it's all hypothetical at this point, but Mark Cerny's "time to triangle" statements about PS4 make me pretty hopeful for the upcoming generation.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Joink posted:

Journey and the Pixeljunk games do a pretty good job of proving that HD making games more expensive is more of a failure of imagination than anything else.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

TheScott2K posted:

Journey and the Pixeljunk games do a pretty good job of proving that HD making games more expensive is more of a failure of imagination than anything else.

It may be incorrect but from what I have heard nearly 50 of the cost of AAA titles nowadays lays with marketing, with many AAA games having marketing budgets that match their development ones.

Which is why they need to sell way more games which means they need to sell to more people, so the marketing costs are clearly worth it.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

KittyEmpress posted:

It may be incorrect but from what I have heard nearly 50 of the cost of AAA titles nowadays lays with marketing, with many AAA games having marketing budgets that match their development ones.

Which is why they need to sell way more games which means they need to sell to more people, so the marketing costs are clearly worth it.

Marketing is whats hurting the film industry atm, and it can be said about the game industry as well but more for the AAA titles. One GDC talk I sat in on by Ron Carmel (1/2) of 2D Boy shared with us his numbers of website hits and sales when they were mentioned on CNN vs a indie website that covers games. CNN didn't make a bit of difference. Talking directly to their audience on the indie site made a huge impact.

EA's bigwig tweeting about how he overheard Asssassin's Creed had a team of near 1000 making it is a problem. That project is both a feat of great management and also lower expectations. How many people expect AC4 to much more then AC3 with pirates and diving? Projects this big cost enough money that they demand safe bets and lower risks. Good thing is, the game industry is a decent balance of small projects and "AAA" projects. When it has its first "Lone Ranger" it will be horrid news for one publisher (THQ) and any publisher unable to learn from that mistake (EA,Squenix,Capcom).

Frankly people putting "AAA" on a pedestal is a big problem. I know people in the industry that thats their ultimate goal, to work on one of those projects. Rather then say express themselves in the medium or bring new expeirences to a wide audience.

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 10, 2013

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Junkie Disease posted:

Frankly people putting "AAA" on a pedestal is a big problem. I know people in the industry that thats their ultimate goal, to work on one of those projects. Rather then say express themselves in the medium or bring new expeirences to a wide audience.

It's not just budding developers who look up to AAA development, AAA games, when they sell well, they sell REALLY well. Because lots of gamers like them. So they keep getting made, and will keep getting made until they stop selling well. Studios will close down if they don't do well, and that's sad, but that's the risk of doing business.

Unless you're willing to change the perceptions of millions of consumers overnight, AAA money is going to keep getting spent on AAA games because people keep buying them.

One problem that some people who ARE NOT in the industry have is that they become convinced that every game MUST be a new and fresh experience. They're the sort of people who unironically turn their nose up at "BROWN AND BLOOM SHOOTER NUMBER 69 LOL" while praising a 2d platformer that more or less is Donkey Kong Country but with different graphics, if I wanted to be as demeaning as they are. These same people often cry loudly and often at the 'increasing costs of development', forgetting that new and fresh experiences are also pretty huge financial risks that don't always pay off, particularly if you're a large development studio that has a lot of people to pay for doing some important jobs related towards making that game happen. Some folks like to fellate indy devs as though they're going to "save videogames" from themselves, but that's a patently narrow-minded view on what is and isn't an 'acceptable' videogame to enjoy or aspire to.

The market itself has constantly proven, time and again, that if a game is GOOD and has APPEAL, it can succeed regardless of whether or not a jillion dollars is spent on it, or the life savings of some self absorbed canuck is spent on it. There's room for AAA and indies to do their thing, and yes the market can, is and will fluctuate constantly as the tastes of gamers change and as technology grows with it. The villifying of AAA games just feels like a form of elitism, at best.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Indies are a much more risky sector of the industry. And I apologize if I came off as some stereotype that only loves innovation. I do however think that beating your audience's expectation is the way to stay relevant and keep your franchise alive. Most main Mario games have this, and as pointed out here every half a page for some reason all the Mario's with "new" in the title have not. Beating expectations is why Titanfall is turning more heads then the latest Call of Duty featuring a dog.

I just wanted to show that "AAA" is when done right a safer bet for the people inside of it. If Spelunky fails less people are hurt then when AC4 (might) fail. Its having one giant egg vs many smaller ones. However each of the smaller ones are independent. So the losses are harsh still.

And yes well selling AAA games sell well for good reasons but at the pace and the size they make them its potentially dangerous to the industry as a whole.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Junkie Disease posted:

Indies are a much more risky sector of the industry. And I apologize if I came off as some stereotype that only loves innovation. I do however think that beating your audience's expectation is the way to stay relevant and keep your franchise alive. Most main Mario games have this, and as pointed out here every half a page for some reason all the Mario's with "new" in the title have not. Beating expectations is why Titanfall is turning more heads then the latest Call of Duty featuring a dog.

I just wanted to show that "AAA" is when done right a safer bet for the people inside of it. If Spelunky fails less people are hurt then when AC4 (might) fail. Its having one giant egg vs many smaller ones. However each of the smaller ones are independent. So the losses are harsh still.

And yes well selling AAA games sell well for good reasons but at the pace and the size they make them its potentially dangerous to the industry as a whole.

I agree that beating your audience's expectations is A way to stay relevant, but it's certainly not the only way. It should say something that the most popular Mario game of all time is not any of the 3D games, which are often praised for their creativity. The most popular Mario game is actually something closer to a homage to Super Mario Bros 1 and 3 (and isn't very "innovative" at all, aside from adding multiplayer). People LOVE familiarity (which is why sequels happen). When you deviate too much from a proven formula, fans react divisively. There's a whole group of people out there who want Mega Man Legends 3 to be made. And then there's a group of people out there who are indifferent about the game getting cancelled and they want more Mega Man 9 and 10 (they'd also accept a new '16-bit' mega man x game).

I'd say that Nintendo's games haven't necessarily succeeded for as long as they have because they 'beat expectations', so much as they provide an experience fans could 'count on', they live up to expectations.

If a developer wants to stay relevant, they make a good game that hopefully sells well enough to keep them in business. It's the same for indies and for big studios. It's a shame that many studios have closed down this last generation, but I attribute that not just to a business model, but also on the growing pains of an industry that lives and breathes alongside the growth of technology.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
I hate motion controls as much as the next guy, especially the waggle (I couldnt play Donkey Kong for more then an hour or so I hated the waggle so much). But let me tell ya, I get the feeling the Xbones Kinect Sports game is gonna be a shitload of fun.

If the reputation of the Kinect hasn't already been wrecked this gen (which it certainly may have, because lets face it the thing barely worked at all) and the new Kinect proves to be good tech and a bit of a sleeper hit, Microsoft could pick up some of the casual gamers that had the Wii but skipped the U.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

AgentJotun posted:

I hate motion controls as much as the next guy, especially the waggle (I couldnt play Donkey Kong for more then an hour or so I hated the waggle so much). But let me tell ya, I get the feeling the Xbones Kinect Sports game is gonna be a shitload of fun.

If the reputation of the Kinect hasn't already been wrecked this gen (which it certainly may have, because lets face it the thing barely worked at all) and the new Kinect proves to be good tech and a bit of a sleeper hit, Microsoft could pick up some of the casual gamers that had the Wii but skipped the U.

Not really, 500 is way too much of an investment for most casual gamers. That's why so many people are advocating a price drop for the Wii U, to try and capture some of the casual market. Honestly, if this holiday season they don't offer, at the very least, the current Deluxe pack at 300, and a variety of pack-in games at 350 (Nintendo Land plus New Super Mario Bros. or Wind Waker HD), they're insane.

Hell, throw Game & Wario installed on all current systems because it's a sales bomb, but could help to add value. Three games at 350 would really help momentum against a 400 dollar PS4 with no games.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

One and the Same posted:

Maybe it would have been better If I still had a CRT, but for the life of me I can't think of a single person that still uses one. I know someone who has one holed away in the garage I guess.

I played Xenoblade on a CRT. It looked...fine-ish? I don't think there would've been much of a difference on an HDTV.

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp

jonjonaug posted:

I played Xenoblade on a CRT. It looked...fine-ish? I don't think there would've been much of a difference on an HDTV.

Just quickly took this in 5 seconds on Dolphin.

tl;dr: Wii HD would've been pretty nice.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Bluedust posted:

That looks like a promotional shot for a 3Dfx Voodoo2 card.

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp

Almost Smart posted:

That looks like a promotional shot for a 3Dfx Voodoo2 card.

I know, it speaks for how bad the Wii's original graphics really were.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Bluedust posted:

Holy loving PC version of Final Fantasy 8

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

TheScott2K posted:

Holy loving PC version of Final Fantasy 8

The game actually looks amazing in Dolphin. Google "Xenoblade Dolphin" for other examples, that shot above isn't indicative of how the game actually looks. Actually, most first party Nintendo games look really clean in dolphin, which goes to show the potential of what could have been.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
For as much as people complain about how the Wii U's price is too drat high, am I the only one that appreciates not having to buy all my controllers all over again? Between the Wii Motes, Nunchucks and Motion Plus I'm guessing I saved about $300.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Astro7x posted:

For as much as people complain about how the Wii U's price is too drat high, am I the only one that appreciates not having to buy all my controllers all over again? Between the Wii Motes, Nunchucks and Motion Plus I'm guessing I saved about $300.

On the other hand, I never got a Wii and I would have to buy all of those controllers plus something like a pro controller, so that's a major put-off for me ever getting a Wii U.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

On the other hand, I never got a Wii and I would have to buy all of those controllers plus something like a pro controller, so that's a major put-off for me ever getting a Wii U.

A Wii Remote Plus and Nunchuck combo is 60 dollars list price, regularly available for 50-ish. Xbox One/PS4 controllers are 60 bucks list, discounts surely to happen within a few months. Is having to buy controllers a major put-off for buying any console for you? Tons of people have Wii Remotes, trying to spin controller backwards compatibility as a bad thing is kinda silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
You have the nunchuck, wii mote, and the classic controller. I can kind of see what he's saying, but honestly I don't really get the "it's too expensive" part (people were saying this before the PS4 and XBone prices were released). $350 isn't just some absurd amount for most people, certainly isn't the $600 PS3 or whatever it released at.

• Locked thread