Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Brovine posted:

You think that's bad, try custom spawners spitting out skeletons riding creepers riding cave spiders.

Now if only you could make the skeletons shoot cave spiders......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

Shadowmorn posted:

:stare: They are adapting. :ohdear:

Seriously, whats causing this kind of doom stack? Glad i have a railgun because that combos just nasty if all you had was melee.

I think it's Natura or Tinker's Construct, I've only seen it in packs with those.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Carados posted:

I think it's Natura or Tinker's Construct, I've only seen it in packs with those.

Yes, I've seen it while using those mods, too. Here's a creeper that needs a diet.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

fondue posted:

Yes, I've seen it while using those mods, too. Here's a creeper that needs a diet.

That is a crime.

:haw:

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

fondue posted:

gently caress I was just about to post that too.

Poor guy looks confused as hell. :ohdear:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So, out of frustration due to being unable to find any numbers on Big Reactors I spent some time in creative playing with some setups. If anyone else is curious on how to get the most out of your quasi-nuclear reactors, here are my findings:

• Both Yellorium and Bluetonium (reclaimed Cyanite/reactor waste) are just as potent for fuel
  • A single fuel rod holds 4 ingot, divided into 1,000 fuel each. In other words each ingot is internally converted into a single bucket of fuel.
  • A fuel rod produces about 4MJ/t energy and 150C heat. Or 1MJ/t per bar of fuel.
  • Horizontally adjacent tiles of reactor construction (casing, glass, reactor control or input/output blocks, other fueal rods) or air will provide no noticeable amplifier for heat or power. Each block of Fuel Rod will linearly add it's 4MJ/t and heat to the reactor.
  • Adding extra levels to the reactor just linearly multiplies the heat and power of a reactor.
  • Surrounding the fuel rods with water acts as a multiplier, increasing the energy output drastically with a slighter increase in heat. A single rod with a ring of eight water tiles around it will run at 8.7MJ/t and 175C, over double the power output for only 1/6th increase in heat.

Assuming that heat equals fuel consumption (which everything I've read seems to agree on) the most fuel efficient Yellorium reactor has a floor plan like so:
code:
OOOOO
OXOXO
OOOOO
OXOXO
OOOOO

0= Water
X= Fuel Rod
Just repeat and expand as you see fit and surround with casing (reactor casing, reactor class, inputs, outputs, control console). If you want some more power, a checkerboard pattern seems slightly more powerful at the cost of some efficiency.

A few notes:
  • A reactor can and will "seal" (i.e. become a multi-block construction) without a control panel power tap or any input/output slots to insert fuel/remove waste. For obvious reasons this is silly idea and rather ruins the point of the reactor but can be used for decoration.
  • If you really want, you don't have to use water. Most fluids will work as the coolant, so you can have a sludge, sewage or liquid meat cooled reactor if you really want. I also tested lava and energized glowstone, but the reactor refused to "seal" with those liquids inside it.
  • Note that all power/heat values aren't accurate, they're just best estimates on where the reactors comes to a rest. The reactors themselves will naturally "wobble" above and below their resting point.
  • The reactors themselves are very sensitive to miss-placed blocks, but are also very friendly to having a piece accidentally broken or being expanded on a fly. I'm not sure where the data is stored (I've broken the fuel rods and control rods, the bottom center block like Railcraft tanks, and the control unit, but the data will still be there). I know you can destroy the data somehow, just don't know how short of completely dismantling the reactor.

For such a simple mod, I really like Big Reactors way too much. I just wish there was a way to manufacture Yellorite ore, be it by minium stone, mining laser, or any other method.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 9, 2013

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Re: Big reactors - is it more efficient to expand the reactors vertically or width/depth?

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
I can beat all of you with your creeper-in-slimes with this.

Originally spawned not in the cart, and he would not blow up, no matter how close you got.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

I tried using the new scaffolding in Toast (from Artifice I think?), and I accidentally put the scaffolding too high and it ran into the tree I was trying to chop down from the top. Now the game has crashed because two blocks are technically in the same spot I guess. Is there any way to fix this or am I screwed?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Super Rad posted:

Re: Big reactors - is it more efficient to expand the reactors vertically or width/depth?

I was going to write a big thing about numbers and such of construction costs, but gently caress that. Honestly, a single column of fuel rods X high is identically power and fuel efficient as X number of fuel rods provided that both sets are ringed by the same number of water blocks. As long as each column of fuel rod is surrounded horizontally by 8 columns of water, you're getting the best fuel efficiency (and horizontal reactors can share water blocks).

If you're worried about construction costs, the most efficient design (i.e. least blocks needing to be built) is just a single column. Be it 3x3 or 5x5 or somewhere awkward in between.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Jaramin posted:

I tried using the new scaffolding in Toast (from Artifice I think?), and I accidentally put the scaffolding too high and it ran into the tree I was trying to chop down from the top. Now the game has crashed because two blocks are technically in the same spot I guess. Is there any way to fix this or am I screwed?

That shouldn't happen, if you put artifice scaffolds so high they run into another block, (at least in my experience) they just erase the other block.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alkydere posted:

So, out of frustration due to being unable to find any numbers on Big Reactors I spent some time in creative playing with some setups. If anyone else is curious on how to get the most out of your quasi-nuclear reactors, here are my findings:

• Both Yellorium and Bluetonium (reclaimed Cyanite/reactor waste) are just as potent for fuel
  • A single fuel rod holds 4 ingot, divided into 1,000 fuel each. In other words each ingot is internally converted into a single bucket of fuel.
  • A fuel rod produces about 4MJ/t energy and 150C heat. Or 1MJ/t per bar of fuel.
  • Horizontally adjacent tiles of reactor construction (casing, glass, reactor control or input/output blocks, other fueal rods) or air will provide no noticeable amplifier for heat or power. Each block of Fuel Rod will linearly add it's 4MJ/t and heat to the reactor.
  • Adding extra levels to the reactor just linearly multiplies the heat and power of a reactor.
  • Surrounding the fuel rods with water acts as a multiplier, increasing the energy output drastically with a slighter increase in heat. A single rod with a ring of eight water tiles around it will run at 8.7MJ/t and 175C, over double the power output for only 1/6th increase in heat.

Assuming that heat equals fuel consumption (which everything I've read seems to agree on) the most fuel efficient Yellorium reactor has a floor plan like so:
code:
OOOOO
OXOXO
OOOOO
OXOXO
OOOOO

0= Water
X= Fuel Rod
Just repeat and expand as you see fit and surround with casing (reactor casing, reactor class, inputs, outputs, control console). If you want some more power, a checkerboard pattern seems slightly more powerful at the cost of some efficiency.

A few notes:
  • A reactor can and will "seal" (i.e. become a multi-block construction) without a control panel power tap or any input/output slots to insert fuel/remove waste. For obvious reasons this is silly idea and rather ruins the point of the reactor but can be used for decoration.
  • If you really want, you don't have to use water. Most fluids will work as the coolant, so you can have a sludge, sewage or liquid meat cooled reactor if you really want. I also tested lava and energized glowstone, but the reactor refused to "seal" with those liquids inside it.
  • Note that all power/heat values aren't accurate, they're just best estimates on where the reactors comes to a rest. The reactors themselves will naturally "wobble" above and below their resting point.
  • The reactors themselves are very sensitive to miss-placed blocks, but are also very friendly to having a piece accidentally broken or being expanded on a fly. I'm not sure where the data is stored (I've broken the fuel rods and control rods, the bottom center block like Railcraft tanks, and the control unit, but the data will still be there). I know you can destroy the data somehow, just don't know how short of completely dismantling the reactor.

For such a simple mod, I really like Big Reactors way too much. I just wish there was a way to manufacture Yellorite ore, be it by minium stone, mining laser, or any other method.

Big Reactors are also kinda neat because they don't explode. The heat just builds to whatever point. At a 16 core reactor, built in some silly pattern, you average around 18,000C, generating 800 MJ of power a tick.

As you might imagine, the fuel consumption is insane and only reasonable for the largest mining operations or, god forbid, spawning the resource.

In reality, the best solution would be for the laser drill to generate yellorite ore. I don't know how to go about adding it to the spawn table though without causing things to poo poo the bed.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

m2pt5 posted:

That shouldn't happen, if you put artifice scaffolds so high they run into another block, (at least in my experience) they just erase the other block.

Here's the error report MC gives me after it immediately crashes.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

Big Reactors are also kinda neat because they don't explode. The heat just builds to whatever point. At a 16 core reactor, built in some silly pattern, you average around 18,000C, generating 800 MJ of power a tick.

As you might imagine, the fuel consumption is insane and only reasonable for the largest mining operations or, god forbid, spawning the resource.

In reality, the best solution would be for the laser drill to generate yellorite ore. I don't know how to go about adding it to the spawn table though without causing things to poo poo the bed.

Yeah, that's also nice about Yellorium reactors. No radioactivity making the area around it toxic, no explosions, no sudden power loss because something hosed up. It just eats yellorium and spits out power.

And yeah the ideal thing would be to edit the data for the laser to spit out Yellorium ore (attuned to Yellow lenses for obvious reasons :v:), but like you have no idea how to edit that since its not in the configs.

Erogenous Beef
Dec 20, 2006

i know the filthy secrets of your heart

Alkydere posted:

This is a pretty great, accurate guide! Integration with the MFR laser drill will be in the 0.2 line of updates, which I'm working on now.

To answer your question, the data is stored outside of all of the blocks in a virtual "manager" object. When you add a block, it will create a new manager if there's no reactor blocks immediately next to it. When you place a block that joins multiple manager blocks, their internal values are merged together into one manager. If you split up a machine into two (or more) physically-separated sets of blocks, the manager will split itself up and make new managers to govern the split-up blocks.

This is why you can break a machine, add/remove a lot of blocks and re-form it without disturbing its data. One of my design goals was that a player shouldn't have to remember not to break specific blocks, so that modifications and upgrades are easy and can be done fearlessly.

It's also the mod's secret performance sauce. :)

There is one "hidden" mechanic that I'll eventually add a visual indicator for - fuel rods emit radiation in straight lines, horizontally. This radiation will "fertilize" any other fuel rod it touches (up to a distance of about 3-4 blocks), creating bonus energy and heat. The hotter the reactor, the less efficient this fertilization process is. Water helps to ameliorate the effects of heat, as well as speeding up the dissipation of heat.

That fertilization process is why your grid appears to run with nearly double efficiency, not just the water, and it's also the primary reason for the "wobble". If you move your fuel rods so that none of them are aligned, you can see the effect more clearly.

code:
OOOOO
OXOXO
OOOOO

^-- more efficient due to fertilization, output will spike about 25% of the time

V-- less efficient, no fertilization, constant output

OOOO
OXOO
OOXO
OOOO

0= Water
X= Fuel Rod
Also, heat and radiation only move in the cardinal directions, not diagonally, so you can actually make your designs more compact. A checkerboard layout is probably the most efficient right now:

code:
XOXOX
OXOXO
XOXOX
OXOXO
XOXOX

(Surround the outer ring with water, of course.)
In later releases (0.3+), there'll be more ways to affect radiation, and it'll be visible as particle effects. Yellorium and blutonium won't be identical forever; they'll probably have slightly different values that make them more useful for high/low temperature reactors. That won't happen until there's more tools for managing radiation and heat.

The next big thing (0.2) is RedNet control, followed by active cooling.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Erogenous Beef posted:

This is a pretty great, accurate guide! Integration with the MFR laser drill will be in the 0.2 line of updates, which I'm working on now.

To answer your question, the data is stored outside of all of the blocks in a virtual "manager" object. When you add a block, it will create a new manager if there's no reactor blocks immediately next to it. When you place a block that joins multiple manager blocks, their internal values are merged together into one manager. If you split up a machine into two (or more) physically-separated sets of blocks, the manager will split itself up and make new managers to govern the split-up blocks.

This is why you can break a machine, add/remove a lot of blocks and re-form it without disturbing its data. One of my design goals was that a player shouldn't have to remember not to break specific blocks, so that modifications and upgrades are easy and can be done fearlessly.

There is one "hidden" mechanic that I'll eventually add a visual indicator for - fuel rods emit radiation in straight lines, horizontally. This radiation will "fertilize" any other fuel rod it touches (up to a distance of about 3-4 blocks), creating bonus energy and heat. The hotter the reactor, the less efficient this fertilization process is. Water helps to ameliorate the effects of heat, as well as speeding up the dissipation of heat.

That fertilization process is why your grid appears to run with nearly double efficiency, not just the water, and it's also the primary reason for the "wobble". If you move your fuel rods so that none of them are aligned, you can see the effect more clearly.

code:
OOOOO
OXOXO
OOOOO

^-- more efficient due to fertilization, output will spike about 25% of the time

OOOO
OXOO
OOXO
OOOO

0= Water
X= Fuel Rod
Also, heat and radiation only move in the cardinal directions, not diagonally, so you can actually make your designs more compact. A checkerboard layout is probably the most efficient right now:

code:
XOXOX
OXOXO
XOXOX
OXOXO
XOXOX

In later releases (0.3+), there'll be more ways to affect radiation, and it'll be visible as particle effects. Yellorium and blutonium won't be identical forever; they'll probably have slightly different values that make them more useful for high/low temperature reactors. That won't happen until there's more tools for managing radiation and heat.

I'm so glad you are a goon. Your mod is rad and i want more to do with it. I want more poo poo to place and more stuff to do. More basically.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Oh, hey, that's cool. I didn't realize you were a goon. Kinda nice to talk to the guy developing a mod in progress.

Erogenous Beef posted:

That's excellent news. Mining and exploring caves/mines is fun at first, but it becomes tedious later when you're set up and just want to build things. And Quarries/turtles create ugly holes and massive amounts of spoil that you have to deal with shoving in a crate/void pipe/crazy awesome AE computer system.

Another bit with MFR compatibility is that I also request that you keep the fact that you never "fix" the fact that you can cool it with MFR's liquid meat. I find the idea hilarious that I can make a "Moo Goo" reactor. Personally I'd also love it if there was some way to create fuel from livestock ("Brownium"? "Holstenium"?) but that's probably a bit too silly/whimsical.

quote:

[quote]

Okay, that's loving awesome and really neat.

[quote]

code:
OOOOO
OXOXO
OOOOO

OOOO
OXOO
OOXO
OOOO

0= Water
X= Fuel Rod

Ah, so that explains both the energy amplification and the wobble. Honestly, as a former Electrical Engineering student, I just saw the wobble as either part of the equation of just a simulation of real control equipment. Anything with feedback tends to wobble back and forth across the ideal line like that as the machinery reacts to sensors. Still, a very interesting mechanic now that I know about it.

quote:

code:
XOXOX
OXOXO
XOXOX
OXOXO
XOXOX

I wondered if a checkerboard pattern seemed to be more efficient. I tried a few reactors with a 5x5 chamber and an X-pattern of rods. While the reactor's output definitely increased, the efficiency dropped somewhat. I guess that was because the center rod didn't have any other full rods feeding it.

quote:

As long as your big reactors are safe, relatively easy to use, and lag free I think I'm going to love them even more if you add more nuances.

Also another thing I left out in my notes: I noticed Fuel Rod blocks emit light, so if you're not using that yelorium for fuel they're great for decoration/lighting, especially when working with galacticraft since torches don't work in vacuum.

Sirithil
May 31, 2013

Brovine posted:

You think that's bad, try custom spawners spitting out skeletons riding creepers riding cave spiders.

:wth: Is... is this actually a thing? How is that accomplished? So... much... mob essence...

Edit: Aaaaand I just read back and saw the screenshots. That's... that's just terrifying.

Sirithil fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 10, 2013

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shadowmorn posted:

http://imgur.com/a/4fZyw

My laser drill might not be getting much use, but it was an excuse to make a silly looking sci-fi prop out of it.

And i love it. :haw:

So this got me thinking, how big could I reasonably go:

Pretty big.

Each mining apparatus requires some serious conversion because this is UE which is of course Universal.

The fusion reactor above is a 9 fusion reactor monstrosity that generates 18MW a tick.

This is just the beginning. I need to add more drills, a sorting system, etc etc.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

So this got me thinking, how big could I reasonably go:

Pretty big.

Each mining apparatus requires some serious conversion because this is UE which is of course Universal.

The fusion reactor above is a 9 fusion reactor monstrosity that generates 18MW a tick.

This is just the beginning. I need to add more drills, a sorting system, etc etc.

Turbines also output BC energy, so I am reasonably certain you could just use Redstone Conduit instead of a bunch of power converters.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Edminster posted:

Turbines also output BC energy, so I am reasonably certain you could just use Redstone Conduit instead of a bunch of power converters.

On the other hand those converter arrays contribute nicely to the "flying science-fiction nightmare" look.

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe
Is there a Tesla Coil/Jacob's Ladder mod out there yet?

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Benly posted:

On the other hand those converter arrays contribute nicely to the "flying science-fiction nightmare" look.

It is also really weird, because it causes this to happen (assuming 18mw/tick)

code:
 Universal Electricity power: worth 10 units per watt.
 BuildCraft MJ: worth 4,375 units per MJ.

Quantity of Output Energy = Quantity of Input Energy * Value of Input Energy in "units" (above table) / Value of Output Energy in "units"

18,000,000 * 10 / 4,375 = 41,142 MJ/Tick
Hell of an output, here's the catch:

If I made an equivalently large structure from Big Reactors it would:
A) Be less demanding on resources, this bloody thing doubles the tick rate on the server
B) Store MJ and output directly to it via the appropriate conduits
and most importantly
C) Probably do a hell of a lot more than 41,142 MJ/Tick

It also probably wouldn't look drat near as cool though. Goddamnit Erogenous Beef, step up your game man*. We need something that is pretty.

*Just kidding, I love your mod and your poo poo is awesome.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I really do like mo creatures but I feel like all I do is spend time dying and running back to get my stuff. I think Im too used to the vanilla mobs

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Republicanus posted:

Is there a Tesla Coil/Jacob's Ladder mod out there yet?

There is a new mod in the Universal Electricity family called Resonant Induction that seems to have Tesla Coils in it. It's for MC 1.6.2.

Liandar
Feb 2, 2011

Jaramin posted:

You could try using MCedit to remove the crashing blocks.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
I'm trying out Hexxit after not playing minecraft since the Minecraftcon drama a while back (no reason, I just remember burning out around that time). It's a great modpack, having fun with it and all but I have no idea how to progress. I've tried to mine around a bit, get some gear going, watched a few LPs to get a sense of how it's different from Vanilla, but I keep ending up with giant piles of crap that I have no idea what to do with. Magic essences? Blaze Rods? What do I do with all this stuff, and when? How do I repair my meteor gear? Do I stash it away until I can take on meteors? Where do I find these hexical diamond things?

Basically I can make my way around most of the crafting recipes with R and U, but I'm hosed when it comes to knowing where to go at what point, and I always end up grabbing the missing bits and bobs from the NEI browser out of pure frustration, which just kills the game for me. So I start a new world and go "Okay, lets use what we learned and play it properly this time", and I manage to figure out maybe one new thing before it's back to cheating. Is there a newbie guide or a progression list somewhere I could have open in the background? Something to the effect of "Get your house/farm/equipment in order, invade towers, get this gear, go find a castle, get this item, go farm mob x for ingredient y so you can make gear z, find meteors etc". I've tried to google for them but all I end up with are badly (like, seizure-inducingly bad) written instructions that basically just say "Okay build a house and then kill things lol good luck oh and get a meteor shield!"

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Aug 10, 2013

Erogenous Beef
Dec 20, 2006

i know the filthy secrets of your heart

Alkydere posted:

Oh, hey, that's cool. I didn't realize you were a goon. Kinda nice to talk to the guy developing a mod in progress.

Another bit with MFR compatibility is that I also request that you keep the fact that you never "fix" the fact that you can cool it with MFR's liquid meat. I find the idea hilarious that I can make a "Moo Goo" reactor. Personally I'd also love it if there was some way to create fuel from livestock ("Brownium"? "Holstenium"?) but that's probably a bit too silly/whimsical.

As long as your big reactors are safe, relatively easy to use, and lag free I think I'm going to love them even more if you add more nuances.

Also another thing I left out in my notes: I noticed Fuel Rod blocks emit light, so if you're not using that yelorium for fuel they're great for decoration/lighting, especially when working with galacticraft since torches don't work in vacuum.

Consider "moo goo" coolant approved. I'll make it official once different coolants have different properties. As for livestock -> fuel, that's a bit too weird. Maybe in the distant future I'll add a "sillyMode" config option for stuff like "Heiferite" and "Porktonium".

Fuel rod blocks emit light because I'm lazy and couldn't figure out how to make them only emit light when filled with fuel. :v: I know how to do it now, but maybe I'll make a "yellorium lamp" or something so people can keep using 'em for decor. I really really want to Cherenkov radiation for active reactors with water baths, but Minecraft doesn't do colored light.

Ease of use and "as much complexity as you want" are my two overarching design principles. If you want to make a cube and throw stuff in, it'll work. If you want to build out an elaborate rednet-managed reactor with crazy coolant and reprocessing systems, that should be possible too, with some rewards in efficiency and output. Any type of explosion danger would only be in an optional, opt-in system and still have a config option to disable it. I'll never do the sort of world-destroying toxic goo found in Atomic Science.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Erogenous Beef posted:

Consider "moo goo" coolant approved. I'll make it official once different coolants have different properties. As for livestock -> fuel, that's a bit too weird. Maybe in the distant future I'll add a "sillyMode" config option for stuff like "Heiferite" and "Porktonium".

This is such an incredible idea and would fit in perfectly with MFR's sadistically sarcastic tone.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Erogenous Beef posted:

Fuel rod blocks emit light because I'm lazy and couldn't figure out how to make them only emit light when filled with fuel. :v: I know how to do it now, but maybe I'll make a "yellorium lamp" or something so people can keep using 'em for decor. I really really want to Cherenkov radiation for active reactors with water baths, but Minecraft doesn't do colored light.

Ease of use and "as much complexity as you want" are my two overarching design principles. If you want to make a cube and throw stuff in, it'll work. If you want to build out an elaborate rednet-managed reactor with crazy coolant and reprocessing systems, that should be possible too, with some rewards in efficiency and output. Any type of explosion danger would only be in an optional, opt-in system and still have a config option to disable it. I'll never do the sort of world-destroying toxic goo found in Atomic Science.

Understandable. I'd honestly love it if you could refine a weak fuel (1-2 MJ/t per fuel rod before cooling and nuclear boosting) out of liquid meat or cooked "meat" and instead of reclaimable fuel the waste would come out as food. Perhaps something resembling the KFC double down (In game description: "A delicious abomination of culinary fusion"). Either that or when using liquid meat as coolant sometimes your reactor spits out Moo Goo (in game description: "Delicious, Nutritious and makes unnerving noises"). Still, it's your mod so you can go as silly or tame as you want.

Glad to hear you're going the anti-greg route of ease of use and only as much complexity as the user wants. That means I'll probably be able to explain it to friends on my minecraft server even though at first it looks like some sort of horrible multi-block insanity.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Jaramin posted:

For people who were having this issue + issues with upgrades crashing with power armor or issues with 'air' blocks I've backported some fixes from the 1.6.2 branch to 1.5.2 which can be found here: http://build.technicpack.net/job/Artifice/Stable%201.5.2/

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So after getting rid of the silly fusion reactor design that was pegging the server at 20ms/tick (average is usually around 8), and switching entirely to big reactors, this is the result:

16 laser drills. inside there is a sorting system that sorts from the tesseracts (I know, it's super lazy to teleport 15 squares) and dumps the final product into chests waiting to be put into outbound tesseracts for refining.

Given that the nether stuff needs to be furnaced before being smelted, there will need to be an equally elaborate refining operation.

Each reactor is 25 rods at 0% control rod. Runs at around 30,000 C+ and only 1300MJ/tick. I tried different configurations but could not get better except by simply adding more rods. There seems to be a tipping point where more rods outweighs the benefits of cooler.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

So after getting rid of the silly fusion reactor design that was pegging the server at 20ms/tick (average is usually around 8), and switching entirely to big reactors, this is the result:

Seeing this makes me want to build this:

Maybe when Big Reactors is closer to release and i start again on a tech world/modpack. :3:

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Nastyman posted:

I'm trying out Hexxit after not playing minecraft since the Minecraftcon drama a while back (no reason, I just remember burning out around that time). It's a great modpack, having fun with it and all but I have no idea how to progress. I've tried to mine around a bit, get some gear going, watched a few LPs to get a sense of how it's different from Vanilla, but I keep ending up with giant piles of crap that I have no idea what to do with. Magic essences? Blaze Rods? What do I do with all this stuff, and when? How do I repair my meteor gear? Do I stash it away until I can take on meteors? Where do I find these hexical diamond things?

Basically I can make my way around most of the crafting recipes with R and U, but I'm hosed when it comes to knowing where to go at what point, and I always end up grabbing the missing bits and bobs from the NEI browser out of pure frustration, which just kills the game for me. So I start a new world and go "Okay, lets use what we learned and play it properly this time", and I manage to figure out maybe one new thing before it's back to cheating. Is there a newbie guide or a progression list somewhere I could have open in the background? Something to the effect of "Get your house/farm/equipment in order, invade towers, get this gear, go find a castle, get this item, go farm mob x for ingredient y so you can make gear z, find meteors etc". I've tried to google for them but all I end up with are badly (like, seizure-inducingly bad) written instructions that basically just say "Okay build a house and then kill things lol good luck oh and get a meteor shield!"

Where do you live? I would love to show you myself if you live in Europe/can deal with high ping.

Add me on Steam: Dunno1987 and we can either play together, or you can use me to ask questions :)

Sirithil
May 31, 2013

Given that the nether stuff needs to be furnaced before being smelted, there will need to be an equally elaborate refining operation.
My usual approach for mass ore processing is parallel banks of pulverizers and powered furnaces. Insertion and extraction is covered by a pair of Factorization routers for each bank. The insertion router has multiple export buses, each populated with items that need to be pulverized and/or smelted (multiple buses because there's so many different kinds of ore), and the extraction router simply needs a single import bus.

It's a relatively simple system to initially set up, and trivially super easy to scale to whatever extent you need/want: just add more machines to the banks, set the inputs and outputs the same as the others, and provide power.

mechanicalFactory
Dec 24, 2011

I could calculate your chances of survival... but you won't like it.
Is there a way to transfer Enchantments from one item to another on the Toast modpack?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

mechanicalFactory posted:

Is there a way to transfer Enchantments from one item to another on the Toast modpack?

I believe you can use MFR's disenchanter to move enchantments from a weapon/tool/armor to a book, then use that book to put it on another item.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
That reminds me, some of the thaumic tinker tools say stuff like "cannot be enchanted through normal means" but then suggest enchanting them. Is there some other way that works? Silk Cutter I know mentions this. Maybe something with the magic fabric or whatever? I'd really like to get my wand of dislocation enchanted to not break immediately for example.

mechanicalFactory
Dec 24, 2011

I could calculate your chances of survival... but you won't like it.

m2pt5 posted:

I believe you can use MFR's disenchanter to move enchantments from a weapon/tool/armor to a book, then use that book to put it on another item.

Cool, thanks.

I am also using orbital laser drills, but my setup is a little different design. Not the most efficient, but I'm more proud of my set up.

Here's the entire thing.

And the inside of the main sphere. The Big Reactor outputs 220-230 MJ per tick. The pipes hidden by the tesseracts are part of a Cyanite recycling system.

Exterior shot of the secondary power sphere. It's made with glowstone bricks.

Interior shot, inside the glass box are several Ocean Generators from Complex Machines, which turn the surrounding water into passive energy production.

Another shot of the Ocean Generators.

Exterior shot of the workshop sphere.

The insides are squished into 3 small levels. Heres the top level, which contains a TF2 teleporter to the entrance on the ground.

Middle level, chest for personal stuff and a tesseract from another quarry.

Bottom level, where the output from the laser drill is processed. A little cramped but it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Light Gun Man posted:

That reminds me, some of the thaumic tinker tools say stuff like "cannot be enchanted through normal means" but then suggest enchanting them. Is there some other way that works? Silk Cutter I know mentions this. Maybe something with the magic fabric or whatever? I'd really like to get my wand of dislocation enchanted to not break immediately for example.

The ones that don't say "can't be enchanted" (because they don't come with enchantments) can be enchanted in the normal ways, but Craft & Enchant is one of the better ones, because you can choose exactly what enchantments to use. (In the case of wands, you want Charging.)

Also, I agree, wands of dislocation are drat awesome. The standard limit of 3 uses just sucks though.

• Locked thread