Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Good Citizen posted:

I'm never going to beat normal. I keep getting a character up to multiplayer and then run a few dungeon chains before starting a new one and trying to get it to the multiplayer section. With the limited time I have to play I should see the dragon boss in a few months here.

I plan on doing exactly this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cordyceps
May 16, 2011
God the dwarf is fun. I keep reading he's not great in the endgame but I don't care he's so much fun

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Cordyceps posted:

God the dwarf is fun. I keep reading he's not great in the endgame but I don't care he's so much fun

Eh, people who are worried about meta gaming can eat it, always just play what's fun.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think I'm gonna drop my dwarf. I have a friend who plays amazon and it's totally disheartening seeing my Dwarf even bulked up getting one hit killed while he buzzes around the screen like sonic the hedgehog and tanking everything.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

I beat normal with the dwarf last night. Afterwards I find out that the character inventory is shared between all the characters you make. Now I'm kicking myself for selling all the awesome non-dwarf gear I picked up along my way. The game sure does go out of its way to not mention this.

Also the online multiplayer has a lot of things that could've been done better.

Trampy Vampy
Mar 21, 2008

It don't mean a thing,
If it ain't got that swing.
On weapons, are mods like "Damage dealt +x%" or "Bonus x% as ice damage" counted as a part of the overall attack damage of the weapon? Or is that added after the stated damage?

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Got to multi, unfortunately so far it's been unplayably laggy. People teleporting everywhere, attacks doing damage 5 seconds late, general stupid stuff. Is the netcode in this not great or is my internet making GBS threads on me?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Million Ghosts posted:

Got to multi, unfortunately so far it's been unplayably laggy. People teleporting everywhere, attacks doing damage 5 seconds late, general stupid stuff. Is the netcode in this not great or is my internet making GBS threads on me?

Probably your Internet. I've played maybe 20 levels of multiplayer and only once did I get lag. And then it was only at area transitions with one player

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Million Ghosts posted:

My guess is that it's not good just because it's a Japan-centric game.

edit: games don't need good netcode in Japan because like 75% of the population lives inside a several hundred square mile area.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 10, 2013

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Good Citizen posted:

Probably your Internet. I've played maybe 20 levels of multiplayer and only once did I get lag. And then it was only at area transitions with one player

I dunno, I've never had anything this bad in other games, other then never connecting to rooms in P4A. May as well keep trying. It is interesting though when you're fighting a boss and it just dies out of nowhere.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Million Ghosts posted:

I dunno, I've never had anything this bad in other games, other then never connecting to rooms in P4A. May as well keep trying. It is interesting though when you're fighting a boss and it just dies out of nowhere.

Been playing MP almost nonstop since I unlocked it and haven't experienced anything like that. The worst I've gotten is the aforementioned inability to move through a door thing, which I'm pretty sure only happens while additional players are in the process of connecting to the game. Always get that tiny hiccup when someone begins to join followed by ten or twenty seconds of no room transitions. Not that bad.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm kinda bummed that we can't use our characters that we made in character creation as party members in single player. It seems like that would make more sense wouldn't it?

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

FauxGateau posted:

I'm kinda bummed that we can't use our characters that we made in character creation as party members in single player. It seems like that would make more sense wouldn't it?

I think that wouldn't be much fun personally, than you're grinding a group of your own characters rather than experiencing them each yourself.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

tooooooo bad posted:

Been playing MP almost nonstop since I unlocked it and haven't experienced anything like that. The worst I've gotten is the aforementioned inability to move through a door thing, which I'm pretty sure only happens while additional players are in the process of connecting to the game. Always get that tiny hiccup when someone begins to join followed by ten or twenty seconds of no room transitions. Not that bad.

Guess this game or my location just hates me then :v:. I'll try to get a game going with someone close to me and see how that goes.

On a non-bitching note, the Chimaera boss fight was cool as hell, stuff like that makes this game feel like the most Japanese DnD adventure and I love it. Does something happen if it keeps falling through the floor?

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Syfe posted:

I think that wouldn't be much fun personally, than you're grinding a group of your own characters rather than experiencing them each yourself.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by party-based RPGs.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Million Ghosts posted:

Guess this game or my location just hates me then :v:. I'll try to get a game going with someone close to me and see how that goes.

On a non-bitching note, the Chimaera boss fight was cool as hell, stuff like that makes this game feel like the most Japanese DnD adventure and I love it. Does something happen if it keeps falling through the floor?

Yes something happens but I won't even put it in spoiler tags because it has to be seen. All of the B route bosses have a timer of sorts and you won't get a talisman if it runs out.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Anyone having trouble uploading their save to the cross-save server right now? On my Vita, it's uploading in really slow 3% increments, then stopping at 21% for a few minutes, then it says "Upload has failed."

Edit: ignore, it's my local network problems.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 10, 2013

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I think I'm gonna drop my dwarf. I have a friend who plays amazon and it's totally disheartening seeing my Dwarf even bulked up getting one hit killed while he buzzes around the screen like sonic the hedgehog and tanking everything.

Stick with it, Amazons die terribly in Inferno.

I was gonna post the 2ch tier list here but on second thought, nah.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Megalixir posted:

Stick with it, Amazons die terribly in Inferno.

I was gonna post the 2ch tier list here but on second thought, nah.

:justpost:

Or at least PM it to me so I can see it.

In other news I've basically been soloing the game (with AI mostly, and also because I'm super lame) and recommend everyone do the same with Labyrinth of Chaos, no AI teammates just play on your own if you can manage. The first three floors are low level but then all of a sudden Infernal unlocks and you can do the rest and there are stage bosses on these floors as normal enemies :v:

Speaking of Infernal, I also want to point out that the Ancient Dragon flies out to the distance and fires glowing shots at you. You can hit these and reflect it right back to deal out good damage. I found this by accident, so put it to use!

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Does loot look different in the higher difficulties like in Diablo 3? Or is it just the same images with bigger numbers? If it's the latter I probably won't play past normal, or the extra dungeon very far. I prefer pretty princess dress up over harder math.

I'd guess I'd be okay if item modifiers got more interesting like in diablo 2 or legendaries in the borderlands games.

VVVV That's a shame, I was at least hoping for cooler art for weapons or something like the Crissaegrim from SotN

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 10, 2013

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Lakbay posted:

Does loot look different in the higher difficulties like in Diablo 3? Or is it just the same images with bigger numbers? If it's the latter I probably won't play past normal, or the extra dungeon very far. I prefer pretty princess dress up over harder math.

I'd guess I'd be okay if item modifiers got more interesting like in diablo 2 or legendaries in the borderlands games.

Nothing changes that much loot-wise, you can see everything from Level 1 if you're lucky. Also only the Ancient Labyrinth utilizes random layouts of any kind, everything else is preset. Haven't seen any fantastic modifiers to speak of either, and wonder if any exist.

e. In fact on that note, the math itself doesn't matter either, especially because you can't even see where or how these modifiers are adding up. It doesn't get harder and most pluses are just superfluous boosts or chances of magical revengeance upon being hit. There isn't a bow that changes all arrows to fire arrows for example, and the modifiers that "add" fire as x% of damage seem to add nothing, I don't do better against Wood Golems for that. You just generally pick out whatever you have that has the most bonuses and use it, I reckon thinking about anything that isn't Critical Hit Rate/LUC or Durability is unnecessary and on that same token: if you have an "Item degradation is reduced by x%" modifier, it only affects the item its on. Just clearing that one up for those unaware. The best ways to do damage are to go for elemental weaknesses, use your slide attack on tiny enemies like scorpions or myconids (it kills them instantly), and just watch patterns on bosses.

Also I would point out, funnily enough, if your bow is broken spirit magic damage also tanks for some reason. Dev oversight I guess.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 10, 2013

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Lunethex posted:

I also want to point out that the Ancient Dragon flies out to the distance and fires glowing shots at you. You can hit these and reflect it right back to deal out good damage. I found this by accident, so put it to use!

More importantly this keeps the shots from hitting the walls, so they don't crumble as quickly.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

yellowcar posted:

I beat normal with the dwarf last night. Afterwards I find out that the character inventory is shared between all the characters you make. Now I'm kicking myself for selling all the awesome non-dwarf gear I picked up along my way. The game sure does go out of its way to not mention this.

Also the online multiplayer has a lot of things that could've been done better.

I'm not worried about selling loot for other characters. It'd be one thing if loot was hard to come by and you could equip end game gear on a new character immediately, but you get tons of loot all the time and it's all locked out by level anyway. So just play, have fun, and gear accordingly.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Lakbay posted:

VVVV That's a shame, I was at least hoping for cooler art for weapons or something like the Crissaegrim from SotN

You're missing out since enemies and bosses change beyond getting more stats at higher difficulties!

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I have no problems with Amazon survivability in Inferno, but seriously, just play what you find fun and don't worry overly much about viability.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Figured out my multi issue, PS3 was plugged into the router but still using wireless :v:. It works perfectly now, multi is a blast. It's pretty ridiculous to get teamed up with another Wizard and two Sorcs, you absolutely nuke everything.

I'm impressed with how creative the boss fights have been, too. The first couple are all hitting a big guy, but later on they get interesting gimmicks. Helps keep it fresh.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

You're missing out since enemies and bosses change beyond getting more stats at higher difficulties!

Like new enemies that are colored red in some way and have strong or annoying attacks? I haven't played at all into Infernal yet, but I doubt it's going to change much after hard aside from the stat stuff.

The worst different enemy is by FAR is the black-tinted pirate with a red sword who teleports all over the place like he's a master of Ninpo.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Gyoru posted:

Press forward+triangle.

Ohhhhhh. That's a pretty spectacular difference. :monocle:

Thank you, sir.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

After getting my Dwarf to Infernal last night, I started working on getting a Sorceress to the Online point. I have a newfound respect for you folks who started with her, because several of those fights were at best unfun and at worst downright painful. I'm starting to think I should've chosen a different secondary after all, and I might end up doing that.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Found a staff that does 150-150 damage. :stare:

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

tooooooo bad posted:

Found a staff that does 150-150 damage. :stare:

What is the level requirement?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

p.crestmont posted:

What is the level requirement?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I decided to start working on the Elf. Does anyone have recommendations on skills to focus on early?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I decided to start working on the Elf. Does anyone have recommendations on skills to focus on early?

Clone Strike all the way. Spacious Quiver two levels. Power Shot. At least two levels of Battle Hardened. Elf benefits a lot from extra evasions, pick that up at your leisure. Salamander Oil. Toxic extract is terrible. Everybody vouches for Daggers and Backstab but I tried it and either I'm not doing the right attack or it plain doesn't work nearly as effectively as people claim. Plus most bosses can't even be backstabbed and if you're lucky/good at maneuvering enemies you'll learn to use one power shot to attack the whole room of enemies.

Spirit Magic is incredibly useful when you learn its nuances. When standing at the edge of water you create a tidal wave that does tons of damage. Standing near fire gives you fireballs, great for undead. Standing near ice attacks gives you a powerful AoE.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

How far do you have to be along to get multiplayer?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

waah posted:

I just got there myself.
Once you've been to all nine of the dungeons once through the story mode, the game changes in a few ways and multiplayer starts happening

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

waah posted:

You have to complete the mission at Lost Woods, which I think is something like 9 missions minimum (because there are nine areas and I think you go to each once before you can go online).

Also, thank you Lunethex for the advice. One more question: one of the abilities says something about the Elf having a crouching charge shot, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it. What's the input?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

You have to complete the mission at Lost Woods, which I think is something like 9 missions minimum (because there are nine areas and I think you go to each once before you can go online).

Also, thank you Lunethex for the advice. One more question: one of the abilities says something about the Elf having a crouching charge shot, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it. What's the input?

Hold Circle and press up on the Left Analogue Stick to shoot into the air. Using this with Clone Strike fires multiple arrows into the air and is the best damage output you have. Also when you evade in mid-air you can fire another full volley of arrows plus use charge shots again, that's why evasion is great. I actually forgot to mention, get the Rapid Flurry ability for multiple arrows in a single volley, this helps with damage and is great with aerial or crouched shots.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 11, 2013

Systems_Id
Feb 16, 2005

LEFT CHEEK! LEFT CHEEK! LEFT CHEEK!
10 hours in with a LVL26 Amazon and I can safely say that my biggest complaint with the game is the piss poor visual communication in the game. If there's more than five enemies on screen it becomes impossible to tell just what the gently caress is going on since the camera zooms so far out. It does help when Wizards and Sorcerers are spamming screen filling spells left and right. Still having a blast with the game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I'm thinking of starting a Dwarf once I get a little farther on my Wizard, for contrast. Are they any skills I should be avoiding and any I should 100% take? I've heard Dwarf isn't so good so I don't want to be useless.

waah posted:

I'd say anywhere from 3-6 hours depending on how good you are and how much questing/grinding you do.

• Locked thread