Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago
Following up on my earlier post, I got the Sargent seat a few days ago. What a difference. Highly recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Anyone have any spare forks around for a gen 2 (2004) you wouldn't mind selling? Hit the layer dan lever today, and definitely bent the right one :v:

Shuffleboard Shootout
Dec 26, 2006

Tsoukawhat?
So apparently last time I changed my oil I forgot to put in the crush washer, any idea how I can get this plug out? Tapping an Allen with a hammer provides no results, I put some wd40 around it so maybe it will come free when I get off work... Also the bolt to my right bar end is stripped (hex inlet), the work of the PO, should I try and drill it out? Any mechanically inclined east Texas goons around? :(

Shuffleboard Shootout fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 20, 2013

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Leaving the crush washer out shouldn't really affect it unless you cranked it on there realllly tight. I've had several bikes that didn't have them and I never had any leaks. WD40 won't do much but you could try PB Blaster or some kind of penetrating oil. Make sure not to overtighten it next time around. If it really is an allen key bolt (which is weird but I digress) either buy a socket type or use a breaker bar to break it free. You're likely not getting any leverage if you're just using a little allen key.

As far as the bar ends they're literally just a bolt that holds some sort of plug snug in the bars. Jam a larger size allen in there and see if you can get it out that way.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Abe Froman posted:

Following up on my earlier post, I got the Sargent seat a few days ago. What a difference. Highly recommend it.

It's one of those things that changes the ride so much you can hardly believe it didn't come stock like that.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

JP Money posted:

As far as the bar ends they're literally just a bolt that holds some sort of plug snug in the bars. Jam a larger size allen in there and see if you can get it out that way.
That or take a torx bit that's a little too big and hammer it in.

Shuffleboard Shootout
Dec 26, 2006

Tsoukawhat?
Thanks for the help fellas, ill give it another shot when I get off. These 24s kill me when I have work on the bike to do!

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
Has anyone put stomp grips on their bike? I got some as a gift but I've just had a go at lining them up on the tank and I can't see how they'd fit without a huge crease. I've checked and they're definitely for my model SV - they're to fit an 03-09 and I have an 04N.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Picture? They should just fit right on...

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
Forgot to reply to this. I've got them on, once they're warmed up they become massively more pliable and conform to the tank really easily.

When I posted earlier I'd just been lining them up against the tank while they were cold to get and idea of exactly where I'd want them!

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Before I jump into emulators, I thought I would do some routine maintenance on the forks. I'd like to do fork seals and fork oil. It's an 06 S model.

I have a pdf of the manual but is there any tricks for removing and replacing the seals? What about oil weight? Should I get new springs?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Before I jump into emulators, I thought I would do some routine maintenance on the forks. I'd like to do fork seals and fork oil. It's an 06 S model.

I have a pdf of the manual but is there any tricks for removing and replacing the seals? What about oil weight? Should I get new springs?

This is a pretty good video of a fork overhaul, they're essentially identical to the SV ones.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrmYJgcGX30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrmYJgcGX30

MooseNoose
Aug 6, 2006

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Assuming Suzuki didn't change the forks from the first gen, here's a fairly thorough walk through and hints at making Suzuki's special tools.

http://www.bluepoof.com/motorcycles/howto/svs_fork_oil/

As for replacing the springs and going to heavier weight oil, just do it. The ride is a lot better once the front is sprung correctly.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

echomadman posted:

This is a pretty good video of a fork overhaul, they're essentially identical to the SV ones.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrmYJgcGX30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrmYJgcGX30

Heh, I sat through that entire video a couple of days ago.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
EDIT: deleted.

See the question thread for me figuring out that I forgot a spacer on the rear of the bike and therefore destroyed my rear brake rotor and the bracket that holds it in place.

Didn't die though.

XYLOPAGUS fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 27, 2013

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Had an off on my '04 SV650 a few weeks back, bike was totaled by insurance but I kept it.

I need parts and/or suggestions for replacements. If you're selling anything let me know :)

Parts Needed:

Fuel tank, blue
Brake Fluid Reservoir
Headlight & bracket
Throttle tube, grip & the controls on the right hand bar.
Rear tail plastics, left side
Shifter mechanism
Probably a left foot peg
Left front turn signal

Suggestions needed:
Was leaning towards an aftermarket instrument panel.. would be nice to have an accurate speedometer.
Suggestions for different bars
Had Napoleon Bar End mirrors - they were OK, open to suggestions there.
Open to suggestions on headlights, but I have to guess that I can get a stock one cheap

Broke my left thumb and minor fracture in my right arm from sticking my arms out to break my fall, gear held up flawlessly though.

`Nemesis fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 11, 2013

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

Can anyone tell me where I can get a clutch lever that fits an SV650s 03? Both of the ones I've bought are too fat to fit and I'm kind of confused. :smith:

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Grimes posted:

Can anyone tell me where I can get a clutch lever that fits an SV650s 03? Both of the ones I've bought are too fat to fit and I'm kind of confused. :smith:

That's a second generation, right? I have the stock levers for my 06 that I'll send you for cost of shipping if you want them!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I'm about to try to revive a 2001 SV650 that's been sitting for almost 2 years unfortunately. What does a basic checklist look like before I try and fire it up with a new battery? I'm assuming clean or replace carbs / heavily inspect tires for dry rot / chain and sprockets. What about the tank, which wasn't properly prepared for storage?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Weinertron posted:

I'm about to try to revive a 2001 SV650 that's been sitting for almost 2 years unfortunately. What does a basic checklist look like before I try and fire it up with a new battery? I'm assuming clean or replace carbs / heavily inspect tires for dry rot / chain and sprockets. What about the tank, which wasn't properly prepared for storage?

Judging by the SVs I've rescued after a sit, it'll be fine. It'll run rough until you get some fresh gas and a fresh battery in there, then you should go after the consumables (oil/filter/brake fluid/chain). Might need to pop off the carbs and run a wire through the pilots, you don't even need to pull them completely off the bike, just flip them and pull the float bowls and run the wire through the jets from there.

Tank will probably be ok, but I'd drain the gas and look for rust or contamination in the gas. If it's mostly clean, you're good to go, just replace it with fresh gas.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I did this with an 06 SV650 a few months ago - I ended up having to pull the pump out of the tank and cleaning it out by hand.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 11, 2013

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
SV650 gen2:

The headlights and the LCD backlight flickers at idle but not when I'm on the throttle. Do I need to adjust my idle higher or is this normal? It idles around 1250 now. Or is the R/R?

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

I did this with an 06 SV650 a few months ago - I ended up having to pull the pump out of the tank and cleaning it out by hand.

Bleh. I put the mirrors and junk back on my 04 a couple months ago, fuel filler wasn't gross like that but there was definitely some rust visible in the tank. Amusingly all it needed was a new batter and a gallon of fresh gas, started second try but ran fine after fifteen seconds or so of obvious unhappiness as it burned whatever had been masquerading as gas in the fuel rail. It's run ok the few times I've been able to take it out, but I have a bad feeling Murphy's law is going to catch up with me this winter. At least it doesn't look that bad to do.

Lowcrab that idle sounds about right, mine idles somewhere near there and I've never noticed the backlight flickering. Have you checked battery voltage? I can find my service manual or a quick google should give you the rpm and voltage you are looking for on from the battery.

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

Well, this explains why there are issues with the fuel pump.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

NipplesTheCat posted:

Well, this explains why there are issues with the fuel pump.

What is it doing? I took the guard off and cleaned it out. Didn't actually disassemble anything further than that. :v:

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

What is it doing? I took the guard off and cleaned it out. Didn't actually disassemble anything further than that. :v:

Just seems like it has a hard time building pressure when first started. Bike will die at the first turn of the throttle, every time. It's really not a big deal, just fun to razz you about.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Goddamnit :golfclap: That's a really strange issue though.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/mcy/4090275775.html What do you guys think about this bike?

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 30, 2013

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Looks great to me. I'd maybe ask about maintenance history but that's exactly the bike I have and I got it for a little more than that. Mine had 7.9k miles on it when I got it though. I did similar mods to mine minus the shaved signals and I put bar end mirrors on mine, but the ones on there look pretty nice. Certainly worth taking a look at in my opinion.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
My first-gen SV650 isn't starting today. I commute on the thing daily so this is a massive pain in the rear end. It rained last night, but I have never had issues leaving in the rain before. I also changed the oil yesterday, and may have overfilled a little bit. What's the likely culprit here? Extra annoying because I recently moved and don't have any of my tools with me besides what comes with the bike.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Pissingintowind posted:

My first-gen SV650 isn't starting today. I commute on the thing daily so this is a massive pain in the rear end. It rained last night, but I have never had issues leaving in the rain before. I also changed the oil yesterday, and may have overfilled a little bit. What's the likely culprit here? Extra annoying because I recently moved and don't have any of my tools with me besides what comes with the bike.

You should post more about what you've tried and what exactly the symptoms are that prevent it from starting.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

JP Money posted:

You should post more about what you've tried and what exactly the symptoms are that prevent it from starting.

I haven't done anything yet because of the aforementioned lack of tools and the fact that I have to work from home now... Basically, it's cranking, but not turning over. Hoping that allowing it to dry off for a few hours helps.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Pissingintowind posted:

I haven't done anything yet because of the aforementioned lack of tools and the fact that I have to work from home now... Basically, it's cranking, but not turning over. Hoping that allowing it to dry off for a few hours helps.

So not that any of you guys give a poo poo, but it turned over! Sounds like something was wet... What could it have been? Air filter?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Don't SV's have an issue with water getting in to the plugs?

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Voltage posted:

Don't SV's have an issue with water getting in to the plugs?

Front plug, if you're running in rain. Dielectric grease is a godsend.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Is it the front plug on top or side? I replaced my plugs last weekend and noticed that the plug on the side seemed like it didn't really screw in very far. Didn't seem right but I haven't had any issues with it so far.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

CoyDog bought my SV! We met in a big parking lot and shot the poo poo about my bike for a bit. I answered as many questions as I could. Showed him the hackjob I did to my headlight bucket getting that damned HID headlight in. Finally he took it for some laps. Turns out CoyDog and I went to the same place to get our MSF's, albeit some years apart, at the Honda learning center in Alpharetta. Seeing his excitement and trepidation at some things brought back memories of my first time on a GS500 after my msf, so much nostalgia.

Right before Coydog set off for home though, my headlight didn't relight after cranking the bike. The first time it's done that in the time I've had it on my bike. My heart simultaneously stopped and sank when it happened as I was afraid the bulb had blown or something. Restarted the bike and it was fine. Then when Coydog got home he said the key was stuck in the switch, also something that's never happened to me. Only conclusions I can draw is CoyDog is the victim of an ancient curse.

Also someone in CA has seen how GOONY I am.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yep! I was going to post about it over the weekend, but I was preoccupied with riding. Driving it home Friday night was pretty scary, but I gave a huge margin for any error and was fine. Saturday was completely thrilling and I was only a little bit more comfortable with it. Yesterday, however, I felt much more comfortable and couldn't resist taking it up to the mountains to get my lean on.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 14, 2013

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Good to see that bike being ridden like it deserves. How is the headlight treating you? Also where were those pictures taken at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm not nearly as skilled as that bike deserves. It's treating me pretty well, though. Those shots were taken along the Richard B Russell Scenic Hwy near wolf pen gap. It's a really great under traveled road.

In practicing, I found I was a little afraid of cornering/leaning/judging speed in turns. There really aren't good roads around home to familiarize myself with the sensation and movements of it. Since the bike gets 50+ mpg, a trip up there was no big deal. I know the roads well from presunrise mountain runs in cars, so it seemed like a great spot. It worked, I'm better at corners now, and had a great afternoon/evening.

Headlight is awesome, but the cutoff meant that even my highbeams reduced me to 15ft visibility when cornering. I'm currently looking into auxiliary lights. How would either of these work, do you think?
http://stores.advmonster.com/-strse-41/Model-60-LED-off/Detail.bok

OR, for the insanity option

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/190754591358#ht_3807wt_847

I'd really like to find a way to mount one of the second link horizontally under the main headlamp. Or vertically one on each side of the lamp. :getin:

• Locked thread