Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

mentholmoose posted:

Again, the Disasters second overall pick is on the block as well. If you have picks and pitching - instead of the relatively rare 3B/C that CraigK needs - give me an offer.

How about Super Draft picks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
"I'm sure a potato can beat a phantom. Phantoms win."

:smith: no respect, i tells ya

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

mentholmoose posted:

Again, the Disasters second overall pick is on the block as well. If you have picks and pitching - instead of the relatively rare 3B/C that CraigK needs - give me an offer.

I will give you Josh Beckett, Jon Lester, and old Tim Wakefield and my 1st round pick for it.

Alternatively I could give you some of those pitchers and Timelord Perry for it, but in that case no pick.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

The Merry Marauder posted:

It depends on the pitcher, but unless they have some relief experience, you don't want them pitching in the 7-8-9 role, because they are stretched out to pitch on several days rest for innings at a time, not one inning for a few games a week. Mogul is not kind to tired pitchers.

Now, middle relief, there's a case to be made for a swingman type - get a few innings out of him once or twice a week in a blowout or in case the starter's ineffective, but a bullpen arm is safer. Long relief should always be an actual starting pitcher, since we sim a week at a time, and you don't have the luxury to bring up a spot starter from the minors on a day to day basis.

Don't use deadballers unless you have hot-poo poo fielders - relievers come in with men on base quite often, so you want strikeouts, or at the very least, GIDPs.

Who were you thinking of using there?

I was thinking I might put 1980 Dave Palmer as my long reliever because my bullpen is very very bad.

E: I'm picking 4th overall right now, if anyone in the spots below me want to move up a bit, I'd be willing to move down a few slots for bullpen help!

DannoMack fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 10, 2013

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
'26 Hornsby to kick the draft off.

e: the younger one

CraigK fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 10, 2013

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

These offers all suck. The Disasters take '22 Walter Johnson

My second round pick is still up for trade, and I'm still looking for picks/pitching help.

bawfuls and the Cosmobats are up.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Well I'm just going to keep second-guessing myself if I sit on this longer, so

The Cosmobats select 1934 Mel Ott

Looks like next up is DannoMack of the Lake Louise Longshots

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Draft spreadsheet for new page.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

I'll take the next youngest Hornsby! Hornsby '28.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Marauder Archie Goodwin is up!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Pick 'em: Gauntlet Final Round: There Can Be Only One!
Pick ONE Winner, but if you pick right, you get FIVE points!
Montreal Manatees
OKC Bombers
South Dakota Marmosets
Thunderstorms feat. The MACHINE

Double Post because I forgot!

Archie Goodwin
Jan 2, 2012
Using intelligence guided by experience since 1934.
That Omnibus obit was great, and I hope you bring back the tiebreakers at least. Amusing arbitrary whimsey is the best way to settle conflict in sport.

The Gumshoes, while practically stillborn, are rife with never-say-die moxie. Remembering his performance on the Orchids above most other concerns, we draft The Mick.

Rev Threshold is up. It's a drat shame Bruce Sutter isn't available.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Best-of-Seven Series! Let's go!

I guess the real question here is...Mike or Joel? Let's be honest, there's something to be said for both, but, stylistically, they were different enough so that everyone is bound to have a preference. Philosophically, I'd like to be able to say I prefer Joel, seeing as he had a certain affection for the subject material that Mike did not. It was a friendlier, less cynical show when Joel was in charge. But I cannot deny that Mike's era was not without its merits. It was a more tightly-constructed, sharper, and better paced than it was under Joel. It was also a meaner show. Perhaps that was a sign of changing times, but it is undeniable. Perhaps if I were a few years older, I'd like Joel better, but I'm not, and in my heart of hearts, I prefer Mike.

Why did the Wanderers dominate? No good reason, really. Just a bunch of luck. Because the Landers had wiped out their division in Super-League IX, the division was always going to be a bit soft, and I didn't want to move in a strong, established team into the division, preferring to use it as an incubator for expansion teams. And it just didn't quite work out like that. Whoops!

Game 1

Don May posted:

INVINCIBLE WANDERERS INSTANTLY UNDO RAKERS COMEBACK, WIN 4-3

Deep Space- Invulnerability can be a real bitch.

The Rakers, decided underdogs in this series as well, were out to draw first blood and prove that they were a real threat to the Galactic Wanderers.

Unfortunately for them, however, Pedro Martinez decided to put an end to that, allowing only one run in seven innings, and leaving the Rakers in quite the bind. Come the top of the ninth, the Wanderers held a 3-1 lead and, much to the dismay of the Rakers and their faithful, the Wanderers were not going to bring out a walking gascan like Rollie Fingers into the game to get the save, as the Bangers so often did, instead summoning Tom Henke to close out the game.

But the Rakers, true of heart and brave of spirit, put together an emotional two-run rally, tying the game on an RBI fielder's choice by Don Mattingly, and keeping themselves alive in the process. And while they could not get the winning run on the board, with the game tied 3-3, the momentum was now on their side, as the Wanderers would now either have to score in the bottom of the inning, or else face an extra-inning contest in the opener of this series, which, taking place in their home stadium, would not exactly be the dominant thrashing they had wanted to establish their superiority from the get-go.

In the end, though, the Rakers' display didn't make much difference at all. With Al Holland on the mound, the Wanderers immediately got to work. Bobby Grich sent the first pitch of the inning into the outfield for a single. Honus Wagner took a five-pitch walk, and then Manny Ramirez crushed a Holland fastball into the wall for a walk-off double. All this in only seven pitches.

That did not bring cheer to the heart of gingemidget, who went on a tirade even angrier than usually, "Bloody loving hell! Can't I just have one loving season that doesn't end like this. First, the Cultists, then the Bangers, and now this lot? It feels like no matter what we do, things just keep getting worse for us. But it doesn't matter, because I know that I'm going to succeed where the South Bolton Eazy Wankers failed, and I'm going to win this series. I may not be the most knowledgeable about baseball, but I'm damned sure not going to be defeated by some Jethro Tull-listening throwback like mrnoun. I beat Marauder, and I can beat his little brother here as well."

In the Wanderers' locker-room, mrnoun was relatively uninterested in just about everything, "Didn't I already beat this team? Oh, yes, that's right, this would be the other team from North England. The....W's...no, the Rakers! I don't suppose it would be possible for the press to just reprint my comments about the W's from last series, making the appropriate changes to team name, would it? No? That's a shame. Who here really thinks I'm going to lose this series? I mean, really? Yes, they beat the Bangers, but only barely, and it was a short series, and they had home-field advantage. It's just not going to happen!" mrnoun's frustration began to show through.

"Listen," mrnoun tried to collect himself, "At a certain point, it's get to you. I'm not Marauder, I don't get off on pissing off the entire thread. I just want to build the best team I can, and I know that it makes a lot of you very angry that, despite your best efforts, I keep winning. I dominated the league last season, killed my entire division in the process. I won the Super-Cup, beating every other team that has ever played in the Super-League. And this year, with an entirely different team, I ended up with the best record in the Smasher League, I trounced the W's in the first round, and I'm clearly going to win this series. And who's going to stop me from winning another championship at this point? The Coburns? Yeah, Stieb and two Blylevens, that will take you far. The Pirates? I know that you all want to believe in the Pirates, both Pittsburgh and Somali, but we both know that neither story ends well. I'm going to win this series, and I'm going to win the league, and instead of applauding that incredible accomplishment, the first owner to ever win back-to-back championships with two different teams, you're just going to accuse me of ruining the league, or Smasher for rigging it in my favor. And I'm really sorry that you all suck so much that I can't help but kick your asses over and over again."

Game Two will take place IN SPACE! Pete Alexander will take the mound for the Wanderers and, because of certain visa issues, Kevin Brown, the Rakers' scheduled starter, will be unavailable, Mike Witt will take his place.

GAME NOTES

-Bobby Grich can no longer be stopped. In fact, as he explained to reporters, he should no longer even be considered human, "With the release of the second Percy Jackson movie, I think it's time I came clean. While I've never read those books, I take it that the main point is that the lead character is the son of Poseidon, or whatever. And while the Greek gods are definitely a myth, the Babylonian gods are very, very real, and I am, and have always been, the bastard son of Marduk, king of the Gods. And it's time that I stopped hiding my demi-god nature."

-The Rakers had an 8/1 K/BB ratio. That's not going to win many games.

-Neither team stole a base, and looking at the players on each team, any successfully stolen base should be considered a miracle, as these two teams may be among the slowest in league history, as the two top base-stealers on the Rakers were the 40 year-old Cobb and Collins, while the Wanderers had exactly one player with more than six steals in the regular season.

Box Score

Game 2

Don May posted:

WANDERERS BRING HAMMER DOWN IN 9-3 WIN

Deep Space- Pete Alexander happened.

The Rakers were not going to win this game. It simply could not happen. With Pete Alexander starting against them, and Mike Witt pitching for them, the disparity in talent was too much for the Rakers to overcome. That's not to say that the Rakers just gave up, but with everything stacked against them, it made no real difference. The Wanderers roughed up Witt for seven runs in the first three innings, and while Witt settled down after that, it was much too late, and the home team cruised to an easy 9-3 win, to both hold serve on their home court as well to take a 2-0 series lead with them as they pack up and head to Walney for the next three games.

The Wanderers' best hitter today was probably Josh Hamilton, who was a double short of the cycle as he drove in three of his team's nine runs. Hamilton, who has battled a variety of off-field issues, mainly involving taking massive quantities of drugs and alcohol, spoke on his fine off-seasons, "I made a promise to God that as long as I lived on the Earth, I would abusing substances. Now, at the time, I did not intend to leave such an obvious loophole in that promise, but the Good Lord saw to it that I would find myself playing here, on this magical flying baseball stadium in the heavens, where I do not technically live on the Earth, and thus I have faith that God is sending me a message that I should get loaded and high before every game. And, to the best of my abilities, that is what I have done." Several reporters questioned whether that was really a fair interpretation of events, asking if God was really that kind of rules lawyer, to which Hamilton responded, "God is the ultimate rules lawyer! Hell, the whole concept of the Trinity is basically celestial rules-lawyering!"

Asked to comment on his player's blasphemy, mrnoun explained that, "Listen, I don't really want to cause any controversy, but let me just say that organized religion is the greatest enemy of all mankind." mrnoun thought about what he had just said for a moment, "That certainly does sound bad, I'll admit, but I don't want you to think I'm some sort of amoral atheist, I just feel like the only time I ever felt close to the divine was when I took an entire baggy full of pills at a Pink Floyd concert, and the EMTs who found me assured me that I was not the Cosmic Prince who would lead mankind into a new age....but that's another story."

In the other locker room, gingemidget spent a very long time berating his players, who had not exactly performed to expectations in today's game, threatening to send them to the worse place on Earth if they did not improve. One of the players, either out of a badly mistimed sense of snarkiness, or perhaps out of confusion, asked gingemidget to clarify if this terrible place "is supposed to be Walney, or is there, like, some place that somehow even worse?" gingemidget, at the peak of frustration, then tried to murder the player, believed to be Al Kaline, with an axe for close to an hour before finally running out of steam, and sitting down to drink seventeen beers in a row to help him forget about the game. All in all, it was a rich and full day for the Rakers' embattled owner.

Game 3 will take place in Walney, England's answer to Fall River, Massachusetts, as the Rakers desperately try to avoid falling into an 0-3 hole in the series. The Wanderers, because of an odd fear that Roy Halladay is too inexperienced to start a potential Game 7, will send Claude Hendrix to the mound, while the Rakers will finally have the advantage in pitching thanks to Lefty Grove.

GAME NOTES

-SUDDEN DEATH is having a very bad series. Ironically, it is almost as if SUDDEN DEATH is gradually dying. Is that ironic? I think that's ironic, because you would expect SUDDEN DEATH to die rather quickly, and so a gradual death would be a subversion of that expectation.

-Did you know that Walney Rakers is an anagram for "Klaw Rears Yen"? BUT WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

Box Score

Game 3

Don May posted:

RAKERS ACTUALLY WIN GAME 5-4, LIFE SEEMS TO BE WORTH LIVING

Walney- The Rakers win!

All it took for the Rakers to win a game this series was for them to get a supremely favorable pitching matchup! And, if they can manage to win just two out of the next three games, they'll get the same matchup for Game 7 as well. Finally, after two dispiriting games in outer space, the Rakers have hope again, if only a little.

The game turned on a number of errors made by the Wanderers, the most crucial of which came in the fifth inning, when SUDDEN DEATH made a throwing error that allowed Willie Mays to reach first and a run to score, breaking a 2-2 tie, and handing the Rakers a lead that they would not relinquish. All in all, it was a good day to be in Walney.

gingemidget, who at least no longer must fear being swept by the Wanderers, sounded as if he thought that this game marked a turning point in the series. "Claude Hendrix? I will admit that I'm hardly a baseball savant, but I'm relatively sure that Claude Hendrix wasn't going to do you much good, poor sod. Who the hell is Claude Hendrix, anyway? Sounds like some particularly uninspired. 'Ah, Mr. Bond, I see you have discovered my plan to conquer the world by manipulating the British public into leaving the European Union, creating bureaucratic chaos that will allow me to proceed on my plan to merge the world's two largest telecom companies without interruption!' Ah, who are we kidding? Rupert Murdoch already owns David Cameron anyway."

Wade Boggs and Jimmie Foxx, meanwhile, continued their debate from last series, this time focusing on whether it would even be possible to turn Wonder Woman into a successful movie. Boggs took the position that, properly marketed, such a movie could be profitable, "I think that the key for this kind of movie is that Wonder Woman already has a place in the public consciousness, and that's what's really more important here. As long as the people know what Wonder Woman is, then the substance of the film doesn't really matter, at least in the short term, you just need to make sure to market it well. I'd like to remind Jimmie that, despite his insistence, it doesn't really matter whether such a movie would truly be good, just that it would make money, and I think it would."

Foxx, who went 1-for-4 with a triple on the game, disagreed, "I don't even have a sense what a Wonder Woman movie would look like. Are you really going to put an actress in that costume for two hours? You could, but I'm not sure the public response would be exactly what you'd want. But that's just a minor problem, the real question is what the movie is about. What is Wonder Woman really all about? With Superman and Batman, you have pretty clear senses of what the character is about. Superman is the last survivor of his race trying to, for all intents and purposes, to be a benevolent man-god to a species that he is both part of but, on fundamental level, above and apart from. Batman, on the other hand, is a man haunted by tragedy who will go to any lengths so that no others need suffer such a trauma. Who, on the other hand, is Wonder Woman? She's a princess from an island of all women who comes to "Man's World" in order to bring...something. It's not exactly clear. I guess you would base it in Greek mythology or something, and have Wonder Woman fight a Medusa, or something along those lines, but I just don't see it as something that the great mass of people really want to see."

That didn't satisfy Boggs, "But none of that matters, Jimmie! People don't go to see summer movies looking for anything good, they go because the marketing department has convinced them that, by seeing this movie, they will be taken away from their drab and unpleasant lives for a couple of hours. And I think that can easily be done." At that, the moderator called for time. Part three of their debate is scheduled for the Super-League Finals, should the Rakers advance.

mrnoun was chagrined by Hendrix's struggles, "I had thought that Hendrix might have better luck in this series than Halladay, but today certainly didn't make it look good. But...wait a minute, it doesn't matter, does it? Pete Alexander and Pedro still have on game left in the series each, and if I win those, it doesn't really matter what Hendrix does. And Alexander and Pedro are going to win, that's inevitable. It's funny, actually, every time I go to Northern England this season, something dies."

Game 4 will take place in Walney, birthplace of the Electric Slide. Juan Marichal will try to even the series for the Rakers as Roy Halladay will try and give the Wanderers a 3-1 series lead.

GAME NOTES

-Bobby Grich used the power of Marduk to hit a home run. All hail Marduk, slayer of Tiamat and King of Thunder!

-The Rakers didn't draw a single walk in the game. That's a real problem, even if they did come away with the win.

Box Score

Game 4

Don May posted:

RAKERS ATTEMPT HUGE COMEBACK, WANDERERS CRUSH DREAMS, NOTHING EVER CHANGES, WANDERERS WIN 10-9

Walney- It was a wild one, but also an incredibly depressing one.

The Rakers had to win this game. There was no way around it. This was not like the Bangers series where, even if they blew a game or two, shaky pitching would allow them an easy avenue for a comeback. No, the Wanderers were set to send Pedro Martinez and then Pete Alexander in the next two games, and if the Rakers lost here, they would have to win both games just to stay alive, and that seemed unlikely at best.

So, facing a 9-3 deficit in the bottom of the eighth, the Rakers looked properly hosed. But gingemidget is not a quitter, and he wouldn't let his team quit, even if that involved rabbit punching some of them which, as he has assured the press, is a normal part of managing a team in England. Things did not start off well, Jimmie Foxx singled and advanced to second on a wild pitch, but then Mays and Mattingly made quick outs, and suddenly the Rakers were only four outs away from losing the game. Mickey Cochrane could have given up. Instead, he confidently drilled a single into center to score a run. Seconds later, Al Kaline hit a two-run blast to narrow the Wanderers' lead to just 9-6. Yet that was as far as the Rakers got in the inning, and Eddie Guardado recovered enough to strike out Nomar Garciaparra to retire the side.

The Wanderers did not score in the top of the ninth and, with the score closer than mrnoun would have preferred, Tom Henke came out to get the save. The Rakers, still fired up from last inning, came out swinging, as Eddie Collins led off with a double, followed by an RBI single from Wade Boggs to further close the gap to just 9-7. Al Simmons singled, and then Jimmie Mays walked and so, suddenly, the bases were loaded with no outs. Henke, clearly rattled, then walked Mays, driving in Boggs to bring the Wanderers' lead to just one. With things rapidly getting out of control, mrnoun brought in Steve Howe to face the left-handed Don Mattingly and Mickey Cochrane. Howe couldn't handle Mattingly, letting the Rakers first baseman hit the game-tying single, but he did manage to induce a double-play ball from Cochrane, and then inducing a fly out from Kaline. The game was now tied 9-9, but the Rakers had to have been at least a little frustrated that they hadn't been able to win the game right then and there.

The tenth inning was a lull for both teams. The Wanderers continued their late-game struggles, going down in order, and the Rakers only managed a single baserunner in their half of the tenth. Running out of time, the Wanderers finally broke through in the eleventh, with Bobby Grich, favored son of Marduk, capping off three straight singles to knock home the tie-breaking run, putting the Wanderers up 10-9. John Smoltz then entered the game, getting two straight strikeouts to limit the damage.

The onus was now back on the Rakers. Bruce Sutter came in to work another inning for the Wanderers, and he quickly retired Foxx for the first out. Mays was next, and he drew a walk, and then successfully stole a base, making him the first player in this series to do so. With the tying run now in scoring position, Don Mattingly had a chance to keep his team alive. He grounded out on the first pitch. Now down to their last out, the Rakers needed Cochrane to do something, and he responded with a long flyball that was just not quite long enough as Josh Hamilton was able to make the catch on the warning track to nullify the Rakers' comeback, and give the Wanderers a commanding 3-1 series lead.

gingemidget did not take the loss well, telling reporters, "Bollocks!" Unfortunately, as none of the reporters spoke British English, it is not entirely clear what gingemidget was saying and, if he was referring to a part of the human anatomy, as is assumed, exactly which part the 'Bollocks' are.

The Wanderers' owner was more subdued, "This series is over. Just like it always had to be. I know that a lot of you don't like it, but I'm going to win. I am the defending, reigning Super-League Champion, and whoever is going to take that title from me is going to have a hell of a fight on their hands. Only a true prog rock hero can stop me, and gingemidget is just another Oasis-listening, Bon Jovi-loving failure of man. It's not going to be him."

Game 5 will be in Walney. The Rakers must win the game, or the series will be over. They'll send out Don Sutton to save their season as Pedro Martinez will look for another win to close the Rakers out.

GAME NOTES

-The Rakers actually had two steals on the game! The Wanderers still have none for the series, though, as none of their players have functioning knees.

-Bobby Grich cannot be stopped. But don't be too worried, as he has promised that after he conquers the world, his rule shall be both equitable and just.

Box Score

Game 5

Don May posted:

WANDERERS CLOSE OUT SERIES WITH 9-8 WIN

Walney- For what it's worth, the Rakers went down fighting.

Against Pedro Martinez, they could have given up. Instead, they knocked him out in the sixth inning, having notched seven runs off him. Unfortunately, their own pitching was much better, and they entered the top of the eighth inning up only 8-6.

And that is when SUDDEN DEATH came for the Rakers. After allowing two runners to reach base, Al Holland faced the Wanderers' catcher, who also happens to be the personification of mortality. The Greeks called him Thanatos, the Aztecs knew him as Xolotl, and he is death. Whether he is death itself, that which brings an end to all, or merely a psychopomp who takes those already departed to the realm of eternal rest, there is no denying that his appearance is a harbinger of the deepest sorrow.

As it turned out, SUDDEN DEATH was not only at the game in his capacity as the starting catcher for the Wanderers, he was also their to order to take the Rakers from the land of the living into that undiscovered country from whose bourn no traveller returns. DEATH hit a three-run home run, giving the Wanderers a 9-8 lead, and all present knew that the series was over. While the Rakers still had two innings in which to make a comeback, they would not score even one more run, instead going down relatively quietly, as when faced with their own mortality, they could not long survive.

Having thus defeated the Rakers, both in baseball and on a metaphysical level, the Wanderers advanced to the Super-League Finals. This will be mrnoun's second consecutive appearance in the finals, and he becomes the first owner since Marauder in Super-League III and IV to bring two different teams to two consecutive finals. mrnoun didn't have much to say to reporters after winning the series, "In your hearts, you know how this ends. My time in the Super-League has been like a great prog rock album. It starts out slow, but once you get past the first twenty minutes, things start to pick up until, by the beginning of the second album, it is a rockin' sonic assault that overwhelms the senses. That's exactly what we are."

For gingemidget, it was a good season that ended in the most tragic way possible, "Well, I beat the Australian, and that @#$% from Bolton, so I suppose it wasn't a total loss," started the gingemidget, who was understandably muted, "I still can't believe that we were defeated by the baseball equivalent of ELP, though. That truly hurts. I suppose there's still next season, though."

GAME NOTES

-The Wanderers drew seven walks, while the Rakers only drew one of their own. That disparity in walks, which, while not that extreme, was present throughout the series, probably did more to harm their chances of winning more than anything else.

-The Wanderers will face either the Pirates or Coburns in the Super-League Finals.

-SUDDEN DEATH also commented on the game, "For as long as there is life in this world, there must also be death. Such is the order of things. To ask if I enjoy the snuffing out of life is to misunderstand me at the most basic level. The wind gathers no enjoyment when it blows. The rain cares not when it drenches the earth. The waves press onward from the sea, and though they bear on the ships, they are no happier for doing so. The Rakers' time had ended, it was merely up to me to take them where they needed to go. I did this not for the Wanderers, but because it was the order of things. To every thing there is a season. A time to live, and a time to give up a series-ending home run."

Box Score

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!
We only got the Sci-Fi era episodes as they were aired over here, so purely due to exposure I've always preferred the Mike episodes, although I can see why others would disagree.

Can't say I didn't expect that result, but it was a successful season nonetheless. I'm rooting for the Wanderers in the finals, because a post-Macho Man team winning it all immediately would be an amazing achievement.

If anyone's looking to trade relief pitching for some back-end starters, I'd be more than willing to do a deal with you, because it has become apparent that my bullpen really needs fixing.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Mantle is gone anyway, but clearly what the Misers are suffering from is a deficiency of assholes. Ty Cobb '14.

Which means I have two Maxs Carey, Brian Giles and Kenny Lofton up for sale, if anyone's interested.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Just a reminder, the Super Corporation has 1921 Ty Cobb that it would deal for a DD pick, so if you would draft Cobb, have a chat to us.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Revenant Threshold posted:

Which means I have two Maxs Carey, Brian Giles and Kenny Lofton up for sale, if anyone's interested.

What are you looking for? Not sure if I will want one but I would like to get an idea of what you are hoping to get.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Mantle is gone anyway, but clearly what the Misers are suffering from is a deficiency of assholes. Ty Cobb '14.

You fuckstick!
Smart pick!

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Pash posted:

What are you looking for? Not sure if I will want one but I would like to get an idea of what you are hoping to get.
Likely nothing i'm able to get, but, catching, 3B, or just a useful 1B guy. Pitching's always nice.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

I'll keep that in mind, it depends on how this draft breaks out before my first pick.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

If anyone is in need of some defense, I have 1970 Brooks Robinson, 1970 Davey Johnson and 1980 Andre Dawson available.

I could use upgrades in the bullpen or maybe an on-base machine outfielder. Obviously good hitting SS and 3B aren't easy to come by, but I could also use one of those. And picks. I also want picks.

DannoMack fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 11, 2013

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

An on-base machine, you say?

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Likely nothing i'm able to get, but, catching, 3B, or just a useful 1B guy. Pitching's always nice.

Next time we are both on the IRC lets talk and see if we can work something out for the Older Max Carey you have.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

So, today we all learned something. The Bombers, Thunderstorms and Manatees all ended up tied with identical 21-19 records. In that situation, Mogul's tiebreaker is a three-way round robin to determine a winner. Unfortunately, that's not an ideal tiebreaker as, if each team wins one game, and loses one game, they will remain tied, and then you'll have to do another tiebreaker.

As it turns out, the Bombers, Thunderstorms and Manatees were all very evenly matched, perhaps too much so, and it took 20 tiebreakers for the Thunderstorms to break the deadlock and advance. I'll post more details later, but it was a hell of a ride.

Results!

The MACHINE v2.0 never runs out of power!
The Bombers did not die easy, but they died all the same!
The Manatees fought to the last!
The Marmosets died alone!

Good, just not quite good enough, probably because of the weakness of the top of their rotation.

Clemens hath broken thy dreams!

Died alone.

The MACHINE isn't done yet.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

What are you doing? Don't let Plunder Corp win the Pick 'em!

Plunder Corp 33
Pash 32
Armitage 30
CVE 30
blakelmenakle 25
Monathin 23
RevenantThreshold 23
genericgirlname 22
mentholmoose 22
Pander 21
Moose On The Loose 15
craigk 6
CthulhuDreams 6
theacox 5

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Vive Quebec!

Owner: GrickleGrass
Home Grounds: Nu-lympic Stadium
Founded: Super-League IX
Disestablished: Super-League X

Teams Used
1996 Seattle Mariners
1999 New York Mets
1990 Texas Rangers
2011 Baltimore Orioles

Honors
1x Smasher League Wildcard (SLIX)
1x Heavyweight Champions
1x European Champions
1x Larkin-Downing Champions
2x Canadian Champions
1x Television Champions
1x Intercontinental Champions

The Forever War: The Endless Tiebreakers of Gauntlet IX, Round 7

In the waning days of Super-League X, most owners had gone into their off-season hibernation, or had resigned themselves to building a new team for Super-League XII. For three owners, though, the fight was just beginning.

Round 7 was the final round of Gauntlet IX and, somewhat unusually, only one team would be allowed to advance, and thus move on to Super-League XI. With the time running out on the final round of the Gauntlet, three teams still had hopes of winning the round, and thus new life. They were...

A second-year franchise under GrickleGrass, the Manatees had the most uncertain future. There had been rumors swirling around that, regardless of whether they won the Gauntlet or not, they would nonetheless be disbanded. Whether this was true or not, the Manatees were still dead-set on being the sole survivor of the Gauntlet. They relied on power bats and power pitching, but, in Super-League X, had trouble both with drawing enough walks, as well with their pitchers throwing too many walks.

A rookie franchise under mentholmoose, the Bombers were hoping to get another chance in the Super-League after their spectacularly unlucky season in Super-League X. This round was their first round in the Gauntlet, and they were hoping to take a quick win and run off to Super-League XI. Their offense was deep and balanced, although there were some concerns about their defensive abilities. The pitching would rely heavily on Deacon Phillippe and Ed Walsh, two deadball aces.

The MACHINE would not let his Thunderstorms perish from this Earth without a fight. If the Bombers or Manatees wanted to kill the Thunderstorms, they would have to go through the MACHINE first. The THUNDERSTORMS probably had the overall weakest offense of the three teams, but had the best defense out of any of the teams, and probably had a more reliable pitching staff than the boom-and-bust Manatees. Still, if there were an underdog, it was probably the Thunderstorms.

Prelude #1: The Marmosets Die Alone

The MACHINE posted:

MACHINE does not understand why Marmoset-units have facial expression marked 'sadness?' Marmoset-logo stated 'die alone', MACHINE ensured Marmosets died alone. Purpose fulfilled, closure found. Why are Marmoset-units 'sad'?

The fourth team in the seventh round of the Gauntlet was the Marmosets and, heading into the final weeks of the round, they were in last place, and had been mathematically eliminated because they held a record of 17-20 going into their final three-game series, and it was impossible that all four teams would tie at 20-20, which would have been the only way for the Marmosets to survive. In any event, despite a spirited effort in Game 1, the Marmosets were quickly put in their place by the Thunderstorms, who scored four runs in the top of the tenth to keep their own playoff hopes alive. The Thunderstorms then finished the Marmosets off with two straight games in which they were able to hang 10 runs on the overwhelmed Marmosets, leaving them with a record of 21-19, not enough to win the round outright, but perhaps enough for a tie if the final series between the Manatees and Bombers broke just right...

Prelude #2: A Hot Rail to a Cold Hell

GrickleGrass posted:

If I'm going to die, it's sure as hell not going to be in Oklahoma City!

Going into the final series of the Gauntlet, a three-game set between the Bombers and Manatees in Oklahoma City, not much had been determined. The Marmosets had been eliminated, and the Thunderstorms had finished with a record of 21-19, but the Manatees had a record of 19-18, and the Bombers were currently leading the pack with a mark of 20-17. If the Bombers could win two or more games, they'd win outright, the Manatees swept, they'd win outright. But if the Manatees won exactly two of the three games, it would set up a three-way tie that would be resolved with a three-team round robin series. And, of course, that's exactly what happened, as the Bombers, ravaged by injury, were forced to start Jim Scott in the final game of the regular season, giving the Manatees the win.

Tiebreaker #1: The Madness Begins

GrickleGrass posted:

Can't say that I've ever been afraid of thunder.

Let history record that it was the Thunderstorms who drew first blood in the Gauntlet, scoring three runs in the top of the eighth to beat the Bombers in the opener. The Bombers, needing a win just to keep open the possibility of a tie, then took their game against the Manatees in Montreal. That gave the Thunderstorms their first chance to win the series, as if they could defeat the Manatees in Hartford, they would win the Gauntlet. Instead, the Manatees crushed them 10-0. There would be another tiebreaker.

Tiebreaker #2: Explode or Implode?

GVOLTT posted:

I want my men to be heroes of this age, legends of our time.

But I'm willing to settle for them being men capable of making basic fielding plays.

The second tiebreaker proceeded much like the first. Every home team lost. In both the Bombers/Manatees and Manatees/Thunderstorms games, though, the games turned on late-inning collapses. In the first, to the surprise of no one, Armando Benitez blew the game, as the Bombers scored twice in the ninth to secure their win. In the Manatees/Thunderstorms game, however, the Thunderstorms, with another chance to win the series, instead fell to the Manatees 9-7 as both their fielding and relief pitching completely failed. There would be another tiebreaker.

Tiebreaker #3: In Perpetuity

mentholmoose posted:

I hope Fergie Jenkins blows out his arm. I hope Rafael Palmeiro breaks both of his legs so badly that not even a million B-12 shots can fix them. But, most of all, I hope the entire city of Montreal gets burned to the loving ground.

The Thunderstorms, working quickly, immediately took vengeance for their loss in Tiebreaker #2, beating the Manatees 6-2. But their luck didn't hold for long, as they dropped their next game to the Bombers, thanks to a costly error by Paul Molitor. Finally, for the first time in three tiebreakers, the Bombers had a chance to win the series outright with a win in Montreal. But Ed Walsh was simply outpitched by Fergie Jenkins, and so, once again, the series was deadlocked. There would be another tiebreaker.

Tiebreaker #4: Technical Difficulties

mentholmoose posted:

What happened to the lights? And the players? And everything else? drat it all to hell, can't I ever just get one more loving win?

The Thunderstorms once against beat the Manatees in Game 1, making a great comeback in the last two innings to win 3-2. And, once again, the Bombers feasted on the Thunderstorms, pounding Don Sutton for six runs in five innings before barely managing to hold on themselves. The final game was between the Manatees and Bombers, and according to the available records, the Manatees won 4-3 in a game marred by technical errors as reality itself seemed unable to cope with this unending stalemate. In any event, and despite mentholmoose's vehement protests, and even more vehement attempts to bribe the commissar, the series was ruled a tie. There would be another tiebreaker.

Tiebreaker #5: No Country for Old Clemens

GrickleGrass posted:

Hell is other Clemens.

The Thunderstorms finally snapped their losing streak against the Bombers in the first game of the series. Easily crushing them 9-0 as technical difficulties continued to cause a variety of glitches, including Jim Scott starting the game for the Bombers, but only being allowed to pitch three innings despite allowing just one run. The Bombers, facing elimination, were barely able to hold off the Manatees in a battle of two Roger Clemens, with the Bombers' version doing just enough to keep his team alive. In the final game, the Thunderstorms could not close out the Manatees, thanks in part to a pair of pinch-hit home runs from Carlos Guillen and Mike Piazza. There would be another tiebreaker.

Tiebreaker #6: Beldar Strikes Back

mentholmoose posted:

I really hope all those PEDs that A-Rod give him a hundred heart attacks in a row.

In a low-scoring opener, the Bombers were able to just get past the Thunderstorms thanks to a two-run eighth inning. With a chance to end the cycle of tiebreakers, the Bombers rode into Montreal determined to end the madness. And they did come closer than any other team had to this point, as they managed to take a tie game into extra innings, only to be beaten in the 11th inning as A-Rod led off with a double followed, two outs later, by a Vladimir Guerrero single to drive him home. The Manatees now had their first chance to win the series, but got leveled by the Thunderstorms in Hartford, as Don Sutton threw a two-hitter. There would be another tiebreaker.

Tiebreaker #7: Status Quo

GVOLTT posted:

I had a dream last night, a dream that we were all old men, still playing this same game. That the three of us were still trapped in this endless cycle. That none of us could never win. I think it was kind of like Inception, except of it being a dream within a dream, it's just a tiebreaker within a tiebreaker. Also, no Don Zimmer score.

The Thunderstorms beat the Manatees 2-1 to open the series. Both teams, clearly exhausted, seemed unable to mount much offense. The Bombers, having had an offday, had a bit more pep in their step, then beat the Thunderstorms 3-2 to give themselves yet another chance at winning the series. But then the Manatees beat the Bombers 3-2, leaving mentholmoose so angry that he suffered a hundred heart attacks in a row, an ironic callback to his earlier remarks. There would be another tiebreaker.

Tiebreaker #8: Dying Dreams

GVOLTT posted:

Bunning, what are you doing? You can't pitch like that to Walker, he'll....NO! NO!NO!NO!NO! gently caress! NO!

This tiebreaker started off with two routs. The Thunderstorms first crushed the Bombers 11-1, as the MACHINE came within a double of hitting for the cycle. The Bombers then paid that pain forward, smashing the Manatees 13-3 in Montreal. The Thunderstorms were once again one win short of advancing into Super-League XI, and all they needed to do was beat the Manatees in Hartford. The game ended up being a close one, and was still tied 7-7 in the 15th inning when Larry Walker hit a two-run shot that proved to be the difference-maker. There would be another tiebreaker.

Tiebreaker #9: Reversal of Fortune

mentholmoose posted:

Sometimes I wonder what the point of it all is. And by 'it', I mean 'living', because this tiebreaker has made me wonder what the point of doing anything ever. If I can't win two games in a row, how am I ever going to do anything?

The Bombers almost won their game against the Thunderstorms, tying the game in the bottom of the ninth to send it into extra innings. But the Thunderstorms did just enough to get the win, as Sadaharu Oh followed up a Hector Espino triple with an RBI single. The Bombers then found themselves in almost the exact opposite situation, as it was the Manatees who tied their game against the Bombers late, but the Oklahoma City club was able to pull themselves together just in time to score the winning run in the tenth. That set up another chance for the Thunderstorms to end the series with a win against the Manatees. Instead, the Manatees throttled them 6-0. There would be another tiebreaker.

Tiebreaker #10: Hurtford

GrickleGrass posted:

Is Hartford a real city? I kind of hope not.

The Bombers finally got off to a good start, turning aside the Thunderstorms 9-5 in Oklahoma City. And, with only three outs to go, they led the Manatees in the second game of the round robin. But the Manatees led the inning off with two baserunners, and things suddenly looked very dark for the Bombers. A Palmeiro double later and a Mike Stanton wild pitch later, the Manatees had scored a walk-off win, and the Bombers hopes of winning this round had vanished. The Manatees now had their own chance to win the series, but the Thunderstorms, who had come so far, and done so much, just were not willing to let things go this easily, and instead gutted out a 4-3 win. There would be another tiebreaker.

Tiebreaker #11: Lessons Learned

mentholmoose posted:

You know, GVOLTT, it's not that I don't like you, it's just that I hope you burn in hell forever, you unbelievable son-of-a-bitch! WHY WON'T YOU JUST DO EVERYONE A FAVOR AND DROP DEAD?!

The Thunderstorms, after so many disappointments, finally got their revenge against the Manatees, winning 5-4 to set up a potential Gauntlet-ending trip to Oklahoma City. They had a real chance, as they entered the bottom of the ninth up 4-3. But the Bombers, who seemed more interested in doing harm to the Thunderstorms at this point than actually winning, crushed those dreams in an instant, as Mo Vaughn hit a two-run blast to give the Bombers the win, as well as their own chance to end the cycle with a win over the Manatees in Montreal. And then Fergie Jenkins shut them out, and nothing ever changed. There would be another tiebreaker.

Tiebreaker #12: Road Warriors

GrickleGrass posted:

Not quite the send-off I had in mind.

This was not the most exciting round. The Thunderstorms took a relatively easy win in Oklahoma City, the Bombers crushed the Manatees 10-2 in Montreal, and then the Manatees routed the Thunderstorms 7-2 in Hartford. By this point in the war, none of the owners were of sound mind any longer, their nerves having been destroyed by twelve straight tiebreakers were nothing had been resolved. It felt like this war would never end, and even if it did, they would likely never be whole again. They had seen too much, done too much, and nothing could take those memories away. Even worse though, each owner knew the most painful truth of all: There would be another tiebreaker.

Tiebreaker #13: Bombed Out

mentholmoose posted:

I didn't know that 'Montreal' was Canadian for 'Failuretown'.

The Thunderstorms, despite not having made any progress, were slowly becoming more confident, as their 8-1 rout of the Bombers was probably the most dominating performance of the last few tiebreakers. The Bombers, wanting to avoid a loss, as that would set up a winner-take-all game between the Manatees and Thunderstorms that would preclude the Bombers from winning the tiebreaker, took their time picking themselves off the floor, as they were down 9-5 in the final inning of their game against the Manatees. But the Bombers, redoubtable to the last, scored five unanswered runs, shocking the Manatees, and giving themselves a chance to survive into another tiebreaker. But that would only happen if the Thunderstorms were unable to beat the Manatees in Hartford. As it turns out, the Manatees did win 3-1, and the train kept rolling. There would be another tiebreaker.

Tiebreaker #14: Nothing Ever Changes

GVOLTT posted:

I'm sure there's a point to this. I just can't remember what it was.

The Bombers, tired of losing to the Thunderstorms, scored one run each in the bottom of the ninth and tenth innings to get themselves a 3-2 win. But, the Bombers being the Bombers, they immediately coughed up a 6-2 loss to the Manatees, and so once again had to rely on the Thunderstorms defeating the Manatees just to survive. And, fortunately for the Bombers, the Thunderstorms made it happen, as they were able to score in the bottom of the ninth to take a 6-5 win in Hartford. There would be another tiebreaker.

Tiebreaker #15: War Without End

mentholmoose posted:

Someday, when they write a history of this conflict, I would like to be portrayed as a great leader of men, brought down by the inability Mike Stanton to do anything right.

The Thunderstorms came out firing this round, shutting the Manatees out 10-0 to set up a meeting with the Bombers. The Thunderstorms were hoping that they could close things out, and finally win the Gauntlet. But, in the bottom of the eleventh, with the game tied, the Bombers got four consecutive baserunners aboard and took the walk-off win. Now in the driver's seat, the Bombers once more ventured to Montreal, hoping that things would be different this time. They were not, as Larry Walker hit a triple in the bottom of the ninth, and was then driven home by A-Rod to give the Manatees a 5-4 win. There would be another tiebreaker.

Tiebreaker #16: Ebb Tide

GrickleGrass posted:

My only regret is that I didn't just concede after the first tiebreaker.

The teams' energy was once more drained by the 16th tiebreaker. In the first game, Jim Brewer gave up four runs in one inning, costing the Thunderstorms their game against the Bombers. But the Manatees, as was usual, were able to quickly turn things around, and beat the Bombers 5-4. That gave the Manatees a chance to finally, finally, finally end things with a win over the Thunderstorms, and they botched it, losing 7-3. There would be another tiebreaker.

Tiebreaker #17: Eternity

mentholmoose posted:

Dear Montreal,

gently caress you.

Your pal,

mentholmoose, D.D.S.

The Bombers again stated the round off with a win over the Thunderstorms, and once again made the long and cold trek to Montreal, hoping that they could, after so many rounds of futility, finally put an end to their suffering. Instead, they took another extra-inning defeat, dropping the game 7-6 in 11 innings. The Thunderstorms, as had also become tradition, then took out the Manatees in Hartford, creating another tie. At this point, all three owners began to send feelers out about a negotiated settlement, as the war had cost them so much already with no end in sight. But they could not come to terms. There would be another tiebreaker.

Tiebreaker #18: Things Fall Apart

GrickleGrass posted:

When it's all over, and I mean truly, finally over, I wonder, will we see it coming? Or will it come so suddenly that none of us will prepared. Will it end with a bang or a whimper?

In the calm before the storm, there were no particularly competitive games, as each team generally held serve. There would be another tiebreaker.

Tiebreaker #19: The Center Cannot Hold

mentholmoose posted:

I feel as though, after a very long winter, it is almost springtime. And believe me, it will be my flowers that are blooming.

Note to self: flowers do not make an ominous metaphor.

The final push began as the Bombers managed to shut the Thunderstorms out 1-0 behind Andy Messersmith. Due to fatigue, the Manatees could find no one better than 45 year-old Nolan Ryan to pitch in the second game but, somehow, they were able to make it work, with Ryan the Manatees' bullpen combining to shut out the Bombers, 2-0. That left the Manatees with one last chance to win the tiebreaker. And they could not do it, falling to the Thunderstorms 6-2. And that, in the end, was all that the Manatees could bear, their exhaustion finally getting the best of them. The effects, however, would not be seen until the next round. There would be another tiebreaker.

Tiebreaker #20: Destiny

GVOLTT posted:

In the end, whether I was lucky, or skilled, or whatever that case might have been, it ultimately does not matter, because the one thing I am above all else is the winner.

The Thunderstorms, who had been struggling terribly against the Bombers, finally got themselves on the right track, thanks to facing Red Faber, the worst starting pitcher the Bombers had available. The Bombers, in a blind fury, then crushed the Manatees 5-2, thanks to a four-run ninth inning. That gave the Thunderstorms yet another chance to finally end the cycle of tiebreakers. And after twenty tiebreakers, in which each team had played an extra forty games, equivalent to the length of a full Gauntlet round, the Thunderstorms finally became the sole Gauntlet survivor, beating the Manatees 8-3.

Epilogue

The Thunderstorms advanced to Super-League XI, where they're probably gonna die.

The Bombers also advanced to Super-League XI thanks to a procedural loophole exploited by mentholmoose. He has still vowed to destroy Hartford and Montreal out of spite, however, because that was just a miserable experience. Unfortunately for him, there no longer remains anything in Hartford worth destroying.

The Manatees got this obit. There were, therefore, the real losers of the Endless War.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

That was amazing and was truly awesome to live through.

Thought I would mention in the thread that apparently we finished waiting for Vegeta Denata and blakelmenakle is now on the clock!

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Man, imagine if this happened in real life. How crazy would it have been?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Manatees didn't go out with a whimper, that's for loving sure.

20 tiebreakers. What a time to be alive.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Pungry posted:

Man, imagine if this happened in real life. How crazy would it have been?

Well, it would be December and the real playoffs would start.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Mr. Cool Ice posted:

Well, it would be December and the real playoffs would start.

The twins would have to play in the metrodome again. Everything hilarious in life would happen.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

The following is an EXTREME message from the Macho Men!

Beet!
Warm Sarsaparilla!
mrnoun

Greetings and salutations! The playoffs are coming to a close, and a new champion will soon be crowned. But as you all know, winning the Super-League Championship is not the pinnacle of success in this league. No, for those brave enough, there are still greater heights to which one can ascend. So I ask you, if you should become champion, are you prepared to put your team's life on the line for a chance at immortality?

As always, the rules are simple. The Macho Man challenge is a best-of-nine series. Should you defeat the Macho Men, your team will become immortal, remembering always as they who achieved the impossible. But should you lose, your team must retire immediately and forever.

So, which of you has the courage to face the ultimate test? Oh YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH!

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Smasher Dynamo posted:

The following is an EXTREME message from the Macho Men!

Beet!
Warm Sarsaparilla!
mrnoun

Greetings and salutations! The playoffs are coming to a close, and a new champion will soon be crowned. But as you all know, winning the Super-League Championship is not the pinnacle of success in this league. No, for those brave enough, there are still greater heights to which one can ascend. So I ask you, if you should become champion, are you prepared to put your team's life on the line for a chance at immortality?

As always, the rules are simple. The Macho Man challenge is a best-of-nine series. Should you defeat the Macho Men, your team will become immortal, remembering always as they who achieved the impossible. But should you lose, your team must retire immediately and forever.

So, which of you has the courage to face the ultimate test? Oh YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH!

The Wanderers are not ready for the Macho Men. Maybe Pedro and Alexander steal a game each, but I don't think we have a chance to go past seven games. It would be foolhardy to challenge the Macho Men in our first year of existence.

Therefore, we accept the Macho Men Challenge. Who else could ever die to the Machos twice in a row?

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!
After mulling over a few non-Eckersly options, the Alma Purifiers select the remaining Rogers Hornsby '30.

tadashi on the clock.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Do I make you Hornsby, baby? - Austin Powers, Austin Powers International Man of Mystery (1997) [Mike Myers]

Tadashi you didn't get your Hornsby, trade me for Davey Johnson!

How has he never been used in the SL before?!

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

DannoMack posted:

Do I make you Hornsby, baby? - Austin Powers, Austin Powers International Man of Mystery (1997) [Mike Myers]

Tadashi you didn't get your Hornsby, trade me for Davey Johnson!

How has he never been used in the SL before?!

Because while he has one tool, and it is an epic tool, probably the best batting eye ever, he doesn't have any other tools. Also he played in an era with a lot of walks.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Aug 12, 2013

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I picked Barry Bonds. Next...

tadashi fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 12, 2013

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

tadashi posted:

I picked Barry Bonds. Mentholmoose is up followed by Armitage.

So close...

Well if someone has a decent LF/3B player I would be willing to depart with my pick since I need them and the players remaining in those positions aren't really worth it. Offers should obviously include players better than those remaining in the draft pool.

(Why does every team need 3B and why is LF such a wasteland of talent :argh:)

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
It's actually Mooseontheloose up now. People mix up us mooses (meece?) all the time.

Smasher Dynamo, I absolutely loved the recaps for those tiebreakers. It was absolutely nerve-wracking seeing the updates live in the IRC.

Tiebreaker #13 is particularly insane, for that 5-run comeback in the top of the ninth.

For those of you interested, somebody - Monicro, maybe? - posted the chatlog in the IRC, and I'll link it here as well, if you want to see my mood swings along with half the channel rooting vehemently against the Bombers. Also Beet showing Sic Transit Vir solidarity and rooting for the Bombers because he's cool.

http://pastebin.com/S50b4yKG

More importantly, thanks to the procedural loophole Smasher vaguely mentioned, the Bhopal Disasters have vanished into the mist, which means that the Bombers will bomb again!

That said, I'm looking for an actual center fielder, because rookie Bonds, although he can play it, probably should be left. Since the leftfield pool is terrible again, I'm offering Barrold up for a selection of picks, likely a first round pick and a second/third round pick, although I'm open to negotiation.

e: Or if anyone has Mickey Mantle that isn't 38 years old, I'll trade him straight up.

mentholmoose fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

gently caress the Bombers, Manatees 4life.

CVE, the best I can offer you is George Kell + something else you want. Feel free to laugh at that offer.