Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Recently I started painting some models, just for the hell of it, since I don't really have any interest in playing. I just saw the Hobbit's "Escape from Goblin Town" model at a GW and I thought that I'd like to try that.
I started with some space marines and this week I bought some Orc Boyz. The first two that I painted were too dark, so I found a suggestion online, of painting the flesh yellow and then using a green wash.
I know that it is nowhere near the quality of the ones you've painted, but I wanted to know what you thought, keeping in mind that I've been doing this for a week or so.

Also.. does this actually exist (looks like the Ork Boss in "Space Marine"... but more metal):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

That was one thing I thought was done really well. There is at least one dynasty that operates pretty much exactly like the oldcrons did, if I am not mistaken, making it relatively easy to just continue on as you did before. Isn't that a decent enough compromise?

e: ^^^
That's pretty good work, friendo.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Dirty_Moses posted:

Isn't that a decent enough compromise?
I would be inclined to agree with this. I'm always surprised at how vehemently people dislike the fluff change with crons, considering that its been opened up to whatever interpretation strikes your fancy. Which part of the new fluff makes them scooby do? Is it Trazyn with his art collection or what's his name running around and taking over other cron dynasties?

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

BuffaloChicken posted:

Bumping this again, awesome stuff. I'm trying to get my brother to make some more terrain and I'll send him your Ork stuff for inspiration. Was worth slogging through the Templar and Ork waste for this post, so thanks. :)

EDIT this rules so much.

Hey, I updated the photos in this link to include a TON more closeups of all the terrain pieces from a bunch of different angles. Hope it helps you and your brother with terrain ideas! - http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=529715

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

cat with hands posted:

You can make a race more fun to play on the tabletop without turning them into Scooby-Doo villains in the fluff.

When did Scooby-Doo feature robot copies of former world leaders whose computer brains and digital memory had grown corrupted over time, leaving them with all sorts of idiosyncratic behaviors and tics and a ruthless hatred of living things, villains who are metaphors for dementia and parables about the dangers of seeking immortality?

They're not Scooby-Doo villains. They're TOS Trek villains.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

PeterWeller posted:

When did Scooby-Doo feature robot copies of former world leaders whose computer brains and digital memory had grown corrupted over time, leaving them with all sorts of idiosyncratic behaviors and tics and a ruthless hatred of living things, villains who are metaphors for dementia and parables about the dangers of seeking immortality?

They're not Scooby-Doo villains. They're TOS Trek villains.

Which makes the C'tan the gas cloud creatures? Or Gary Mitchell?

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Hope it helps you and your brother with terrain ideas! - http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=529715
You rule! If I can get his butt moving on that I'll be sure to share photos here. One thing he has been tinkering with is some scaffolding for his converted Stompa (I made it for him as a Christmas present, he painted it) so it gets put on the table more often and can have models moving up and around it.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

Recently I started painting some models, just for the hell of it, since I don't really have any interest in playing. I just saw the Hobbit's "Escape from Goblin Town" model at a GW and I thought that I'd like to try that.
I started with some space marines and this week I bought some Orc Boyz. The first two that I painted were too dark, so I found a suggestion online, of painting the flesh yellow and then using a green wash.
I know that it is nowhere near the quality of the ones you've painted, but I wanted to know what you thought, keeping in mind that I've been doing this for a week or so.

Also.. does this actually exist (looks like the Ork Boss in "Space Marine"... but more metal):

You could give the skull and teeth a wash with either the sepia or earthshade washes if you want them to look a bit more dirtier/worn. Other than that, looks like you're doing pretty well. You even did a nice base, which instantly is worth an extra point (quite literally, if you were to join in the monthly oath thread!)
If you've got a decent detail brush, I'd also suggest perhaps painting the eyes white before painting them red, to make them pop out a bit more.

I've never seen that other model before, but it rocks. Looks like maybe some Ghazghkull parts that have been heavily converted.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

7thBatallion posted:

Which makes the C'tan the gas cloud creatures? Or Gary Mitchell?

They're "God" from Trek 5. Remember, 40K mixes many different sources. :v:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

ineptmule posted:

Good lord the crisis suit kit is bad. It's almost impossible to get any dynamic poses out of it at all.

Anybody got any ideas for simple things to do to them to improve? I've done an elbow reposition which was pretty easy and thinking about doing the knees (which will be harder)

You can do this thing to the legs, bitz for knee pads.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

Necrons went from alien and menacing to grumpier old men in space.

I personally dislike that change a lot because in many ways it defused the setting. No longer did you have this ancient horror from beyond time coming back to do who knows what. Just a bunch of fragmented dynasties who really aren't that bad compared to the other stuff in the galaxy.

Using aliens to explore human concepts is quite boring IMHO and just shows that the writer is too lazy to put some effort into coming up with interesting non-human angles.

I'd be pissed too if GW suddenly decided to humanize the Tyranids.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Is top middle the gravity gun?

E: Necrons are still all kinds of menacing. They have all sorts of crazy death technology, they're largely immune to the worst depredations of Chaos and the Tyranids, and they are completely decentralized with no easily targeted head. And they're undead; they've always had metaphorical and allegorical connections to humanity. The space gods who allegedly led them were just another set of embodied human emotions.

Also, aliens as metaphors for facets of the human condition is the whole point of aliens. You think the Tyranids aren't already metaphors for things like viral plagues and rampant consumption causing ecological collapse?

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 11, 2013

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I assume so. Looks like a 5 minute chop job on a plasma gun. Hope the sprue has more toys on it than display there. De estate style backpack too

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster
Also:

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

I really like this bit and the new parts in general. Plus the kit will be so much easier to work with than the old Tacs.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

cat with hands posted:

Necrons went from alien and menacing to grumpier old men in space.

I personally dislike that change a lot because in many ways it defused the setting. No longer did you have this ancient horror from beyond time coming back to do who knows what. Just a bunch of fragmented dynasties who really aren't that bad compared to the other stuff in the galaxy.

Using aliens to explore human concepts is quite boring IMHO and just shows that the writer is too lazy to put some effort into coming up with interesting non-human angles.

I'd be pissed too if GW suddenly decided to humanize the Tyranids.

No longer did we have unexplained evil Macguffins but an army with character and personality beyond Evil, Mysterious. Old Necrons were didn't have any character. People like to call them Lovecraftian but at least Lovecraft had characters and plots and overarching themes.

Zatheria
Apr 30, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

No longer did we have unexplained evil Macguffins but an army with character and personality beyond Evil, Mysterious. Old Necrons were didn't have any character. People like to call them Lovecraftian but at least Lovecraft had characters and plots and overarching themes.

I like the tyranids because while intelligent, their main goal is to eat you.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Finished a few more terminators, figured I'd post a photo of the squad. poo poo lighting as usual, but I'll get a proper setup eventually. My Night Lords and Iron Warriors only have the old metal jobbers, but I'm working on Black Legion with all the new plastics.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

BuffaloChicken posted:

You rule! If I can get his butt moving on that I'll be sure to share photos here. One thing he has been tinkering with is some scaffolding for his converted Stompa (I made it for him as a Christmas present, he painted it) so it gets put on the table more often and can have models moving up and around it.

This stompa is not getting nearly enough love. You did an excellent job on it.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Fearless posted:

Yeah it looks pretty amazing in person. I particularly love the shoulder pads made from the barb wire fencing from old plastic army men tubs.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Bomb stuff! Looking forward to another game. I'm touching up my Eldar Rangers right now. Will send Bob66 and JasonH emails so maybe we can get you an ally too. :)

Fearless posted:

Thanks! Amazing what you can do with Cities of Death bits, Lego parts, old action figure guns, and a plastic Chinese take-out tray. Also converted myself a Revenant Titan, which PeterWeller now owns.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

His knee broke when I moved, so I'm gonna have to get some brass rod and pin him. I'm also thinking about swapping his current pulsars for the 2 spare heavy D cannons from my wraithknight.

Right now he is blue and yellow. He's gonna be grey and orange when I'm done redoing all my Eldar.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

cat with hands posted:

Exactly. 40K lost a lot when they switched to writing all codices from the imperial perspective :(

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Writing the Tyranid Codex as an Ordo Xenos casefile with dissection diagrams and anatomical jargon all over would be the best thing ever. Just theme the whole codex around that to give it some character. You could easily give all the standard fluff background as excerpts from people who have fought or studied Nids. Do the army showcase with all the photos as 'pict captures' from engagements. Change the paper background every now and then to look like data screens, parchment, etc. Take inspiration from the Liber Chaotica and Xenology books.

Having the neat standardized layout can be nice, but it's a bit bland.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Pierzak posted:

Exactly. 40K lost a lot when they switched to writing all codices from the imperial perspective :(

They're not. The last four xenos codices have been full of stuff the Imperium wouldn't know. The Tyranids codex is from the Imperial perspective because there's no better way to present it. There was a time when they were written from the Imperial perspective, but that was over a decade ago. Incidentally, the version of the Necron codex that Cat With Hands prefers is from that time.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

PeterWeller posted:

They're "God" from Trek 5. Remember, 40K mixes many different sources. :v:

What does God need with a flyer?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone who doesn't like the new necron fluff should check out Hammer & Anvil from James Swallow. It's about sisters of battle going back to Sanctuary 101 and dealing with the necrons there. That book would have been horrible under the old fluff, but seeing how the overlord and cryptek react to the sisters is perfect. Also, tech priests getting raging boners over necron technology.
It also has the best idea for a new vehicle: monolith chariot.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think the Necron codex did a good job of fleshing out what were just a bunch of boring skeleton robots. It did a complete 180 with the C'tan who went from overlords to enslaved weapons. This helped change Necrons from just another galaxy-threatening menace into something a bit more unique. Where else can you take an army led by insane monarchs surrounded by their equally crazy courtiers? Or, if you want, you can just take a bunch of skeleton robots and run them like the old codex. There's plenty of options with the new codex, something that didn't really exist with the last one.

The new Necron codex also gave us Trazyn so it's alright in my books. Dude even has his own apocalypse formation where he meanders around a battlefield collecting bits and pieces of destroyed units.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I don't like the Newcrons because they went from menacing ancient evil to comical tomb lords in space, and it feels like it took something away from the Eldar fluff. I'm totally unable to reconcile the current necrons with the ones that nearly wiped the infant Eldar out - they're just not remotely scary in a fiction sense anymore. Sacrificing the mystery and unknown for some character might have worked, but the sacrifice was too big and the character they went with too stupid.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

The new Necrons enslaved the star gods that made the old Necrons scary in the first place. They keep those fuckers in tesseract pokeballs. They are scary as gently caress.

They're also hilariously insane. That's what makes them really scary.

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 11, 2013

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

PeterWeller posted:

The new Necrons enslaved the star gods that made the old Necrons scary in the first place. They keep those fuckers in tesseract pokeballs. They are scary as gently caress.

They're also hilariously insane.

And as much as I dislike the fact that it literally destroyed every single landspeeder in my ravenwing army, they have a special character who calls down lightning on your whole army. They're way, way more fun to play as an army (according to my friend) and much of that is through units and ideas from the new fluff.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

BuffaloChicken posted:

Writing the Tyranid Codex as an Ordo Xenos casefile with dissection diagrams and anatomical jargon all over would be the best thing ever. Just theme the whole codex around that to give it some character. You could easily give all the standard fluff background as excerpts from people who have fought or studied Nids. Do the army showcase with all the photos as 'pict captures' from engagements. Change the paper background every now and then to look like data screens, parchment, etc. Take inspiration from the Liber Chaotica and Xenology books.

Having the neat standardized layout can be nice, but it's a bit bland.

This is how the 3rd (or 4th?) codex was written.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

LordAba posted:

Anyone who doesn't like the new necron fluff should check out Hammer & Anvil from James Swallow. It's about sisters of battle going back to Sanctuary 101 and dealing with the necrons there. That book would have been horrible under the old fluff, but seeing how the overlord and cryptek react to the sisters is perfect. Also, tech priests getting raging boners over necron technology.
It also has the best idea for a new vehicle: monolith chariot.

It's written by James Swallow, it's going to be horrible anyway.

PeterWeller posted:

They're also hilariously insane. That's what makes them really scary.

Yeah this is spot on. They're comical right up until the point you realise that (some/many) of them are utterly detached from reality. That Ward managed to run the gamut from mindless robot armies following obsolete orders, to Trazyn's Xtreme Antique's Roadshow, through to Destroyer Lords where Ledger's Joker would fit in perfectly is genuinely impressive.

If you like the old fluff then fine, that's still a valid faction if you want it to be. The codex left that door open for you.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

It's written by James Swallow, it's going to be horrible anyway.

Is this a thing? I only read the work he did on the Sisters of Battle (Hammer & Anvil, Faith & Fire, and Red & Black) and they were pretty good.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
He wrote the Blood Angels books, which are bloody awful. He's no Counter or Kyme though.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Goddamit, Kyme. :mad:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

He wrote the Blood Angels books, which are bloody awful. He's no Counter or Kyme though.

Is that the one where the Baal kids take down the Hammerhead with their bare hands?

The only 40k book I think was worse was the Souldrinkers books. Oh hey our Librarian turned into a giant spider, thats totally a sign from the Emperor and NOT chaos mutation at all.

These are the last battlesuits I built, and I tried really hard to get them into dynamic poses, but I'm not sure how successful it was.
http://i.imgur.com/MkGE3is.jpg

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

cat with hands posted:

You can make a race more fun to play on the tabletop without turning them into Scooby-Doo villains in the fluff.

Yes, like all those other well-written factions that are the the height of literature. Like the superfascist Imperium, or myseterious Space Elves, etc. Or we could realize everything in 40k is campy and terrible, which is the point and is why it's actually awesome and metal as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

CisMaleTheSensitiv posted:

Is this a horrible idea for a 1500 point intro to Dark Eldar?
pre:
Total Points: 1493/1500
HQ 
Drazhar 230pts

Elites 
Incubi: 3+1 Klaivex with Bloodstone and Demiklaives, Venom w/Splinter Cannon, Retrofire Jets, Chain Snares, Night Shields 223pts
Kabalite Trueborns: 2x5 Trueborns w/ 4 Blasters+Splinter Cannon+Plasma Grenades, Venom w/Splinter Cannon, Night Shields 210ea/420 total

Troops
Kabalite Warriors: 2x10 Warriors w/Dark Lance, Raider w/Splinter Racks, Night Shields 195ea/390 total

Heavies
Ravagers: 2 Ravars w/Night Shields and triple Lance. 115ea/230 total

Sadly, yes. I know because my first DE army back in 5th was a fair bit like that. 6th edition killed DE melee dead, unless you are running beast packs led by Baron Sathonyx or spamming aberrations with haemonculi attached. DE need all the shooting and distance they can get nowadays, because their troops are so ridiculously easy to kill.

Incubi are very much not worth the effort (and they are the models that got me into DE in the first place). Ravagers are still good, and Venoms with double cannons are good as well. Night shields are usually bad, because most weapons that can reliable down Raiders and Venoms don't care for 6 inches less: autcannons, lascannons, missiles and railguns will reach you if they can see you. However, they can be situationally good, depending on whom you play: they help you avoid glance storms from rapid-firing orks and short-ranged armies like Nids. The 5+ invulnerable is a safer bet, though, as it also helps you resist damage from terrain and stuff.

Allying in eldar is a good idea, too, as they have more durable troops (wraithguard), amazing transport/tanks, and psyker support. Doom will -really- boost all your poison weapons, and giving 2+ armor to Incubi or a Talos can make them usable.

• Locked thread