Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
By 'tossed it out' I hope you mean 'left to soak in salt water for a few weeks' because otherwise a dangerous amount of charge may still be in the battery pack...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

illcendiary posted:

I bought a SPC Racing LiPo for my Traxxas 4X4 VXL around this time last year, and when I pulled it out of my storage box recently, it was really swollen. I tossed it out and now I'm in the market for a new LiPo. Any recommendations? I don't mind budget options, and I'm definitely looking for 2S instead of 3S. I don't really have enough space around me to get enough out of a 3S.

I got the Duratrax Onyx 2s 4000mah a couple of weeks ago for my 2wd stampede. With the vxl components its pants shittingly fast. Between it wanting to pull the front end up constantly and the tires ballooning I think my truck is about as fast as it can practically be.

There's a nice new charger on the cheap too.

http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=DYN4103

Ive had great results with it so far. drat fine price too.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I have 2 venom 2S 20c 5000mah batteries for my 4x4 stampede and I've been happy with them, run time is great. I haven't had them very long, so I can't tell about the durability yet. The come with adapters too so you don't have to worry about cutting/soldering traxxas connectors on. My friend had the same battery and his doesn't hold much of a charge anymore but he leaves his lipos fully charged so I don't think that helps at all.

I bought mine on ebay for ~$35/each I think.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300900739254?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

(They are red instead of green, however)

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Live coverage from the EFRA 1/8th offroad worlds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k4x02Ck0ZE

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
The triple A-mains for the 2WD and 4WD European Championships are here: http://rcracingtv.net/2013/07/martin-bayer-is-the-new-110-4wd-european-champion/

I can't embed the videos because the time code doesn't allow me to. Let me know what you think of the announcing (and if you like it please comment on the site - it was me!).

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I'm looking to clean my Stampede 4X4 VXL sometime this week. Various forums online give advice along the lines of "it's waterproof! Run it under the shower and blow dry it" but that makes me pretty :ohdear: considering rust and all. Anyone here have any experience doing something like this?

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Put saran wrap over the esc (especially if sensored) and wash away. Try not to hit the ESC directly. Make sure you have some time to let it dry for a good day and you will be fine. And yeah, blow drying and/or lubing up the metal joints will help prevent rust. I just had to clean this off from last weekend's RECON G6. It was loving insane. The other shot is of my buddies Jeep and another guys buggy. These were A BLAST to clean :unsmith:

I got to meet fellow goon Ev0l Ash as well! G6 was the most fun I've ever had in any type of r/c event. The course was insane! 3-4 hours constant running in 107 degree heat.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 22, 2013

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Has anyone here had an issue with some piece of metal in a gloplug falling into the engine and ruining it? It has happened twice now in the stock engine I got with the Losi XXL.

The local hobby shop I bought the kit from previously sent the engine back to Losi for them to look at it. Losi sent it back with a couple parts to replace. The hobby shop rebuilt the engine with the new parts.

I also got them to break in the rebuilt engine for them (with a brand new gloplug), but halfway through the first tank, the truck died and we couldn't get it to start up again. We brought it into the shop and took off the head and it looks like we have the same type of damage.

They are going to send it back to Losi and see if I can get a full engine replacement or something. Does anyone know what could have caused this or am I exceedingly unlucky?

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Kibner posted:

Has anyone here had an issue with some piece of metal in a gloplug falling into the engine and ruining it? It has happened twice now in the stock engine I got with the Losi XXL.

The local hobby shop I bought the kit from previously sent the engine back to Losi for them to look at it. Losi sent it back with a couple parts to replace. The hobby shop rebuilt the engine with the new parts.

I also got them to break in the rebuilt engine for them (with a brand new gloplug), but halfway through the first tank, the truck died and we couldn't get it to start up again. We brought it into the shop and took off the head and it looks like we have the same type of damage.

They are going to send it back to Losi and see if I can get a full engine replacement or something. Does anyone know what could have caused this or am I exceedingly unlucky?

Glow plug elements are fairly fragile... If a manufacturer kicks out a bad batch of plugs it's not uncommon to see multiple plugs from the same batch fail. That little element inside the plug isn't very big, and its subject to ALL SORTS of vibration and big hits from normal running. Nitro cars are hard on everything, and to this day it flat out amazes me the abuse that an 1/8th scale will take on a regular basis without breaking.

Speaking of 1/8th scales, I got my truggy all spit shined and totally rebuilt (because I'm selling it... :( ). Didn't realize how close my paint scheme matched our local shop and track's colors, kinda neat :v:

Edit - here's the rctech post if anyone is interested. http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/747766-fs-tlr-8ight-t-2-0-ready-run-package.html

needknees fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 30, 2013

theparag0n
May 5, 2007

INITIATE STANDING FLIRTATION PROTOCOL beep boop
Yesterday I found the suitcase with my HPI Savage SS and all the spare parts i bought for it.

It awoke something in me, something... disturbing.

I'm now planning on dropping around £150-£200 on converting it to a nice brushless system, so I dont have to figure out where the hell to get nitro from since all my LHSsses closed down. I only plan on using it as a basher, jumping over stupid things and driving through puddles in the woods behind my house, so i'm not massively bothered about speed. I upgraded the diffs when I was first building it, so the drivetrain should be able to handle brushless power.

I plan on using a bit of aluminium angle to fabricate a mount for the motor, and a bit of U channel on top to fix the lipo inside.

My Current Parts list is:

Turnigy nano-tech 4Ah 5S LiPo - Should last for 30 minutes bashing, and I already have a charger that will charge it at 1C. - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=14610

Turnigy TrackStar 1/8th Sensored Brushless Motor 2350KV - I'm not 100% convinced by this motor, but it most closely matched the Kv rating I was looking for. If anyone has another suggestion at HK for a similar price, advice welcome! - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=29625

Hobby King 150A High performance Brushless Car - ESC Looks good, current is high enough, supports sensored operation, and is highly rated on the site. - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10370

Turnigy Metal Gear Servo 60g/15.5kg/.16sec - New steering servo, as the one i have in there is shite. - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=29621

Idler Gear 44t Shaft Set - To convert the 2 speed + reverse on the nitro gearbox to the 1 speed bidirectional gearbox of the flux - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281133441677

If anyone wants to tell me I'm an idiot, or suggest any better parts or ways of converting it, please do!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Sounds good! Everyone likes a project, post pics!

Is no one else ordering the RC10 classic gold tub kit? I really really want one, if only for a 40th birthday pressie to myself. I've already pre-ordered one from A Main Hobbies but I'm checking with an old racing buddy if he can get me a cheap one.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

The classic RC10 looks really sweet and if a vintage racing class started around here (Frogs, Grasshoppers, RC10's, etc) I would be all over it.

As for you Paragon, your parts list looks pretty good and you should have a good amount of controllable power for your Savage. Speaking of big power, I finally dropped the money on a Termyte 2wd Pro Mod puller. I now own this as a roller:

I'll be pulling all over this fall and winter with it. I'm going to put a Ford body on it and drop in a 7700 kv Mamba Max Pro system and run it on 3s. The weight class vary between 8 and 10lbs which is easy make due to all the tractor weights which are about a 1/4 pound each.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That looks awesome.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I remember when Car Action used to cover the yearly championships for those - quad .21 engined beasts, Clodbusters and whatnot...crazy stuff! It just makes me think of the East Coast Modified type racers...basically RC stuff I never saw with my own eyes, just in the pages of magazines.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

krushgroove posted:

Sounds good! Everyone likes a project, post pics!

Is no one else ordering the RC10 classic gold tub kit? I really really want one, if only for a 40th birthday pressie to myself. I've already pre-ordered one from A Main Hobbies but I'm checking with an old racing buddy if he can get me a cheap one.

I'm not, but it's mostly because I still have my dad's original gold-tub RC10. I should get that (... and my FT SC10!) running.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm not, but it's mostly because I still have my dad's original gold-tub RC10. I should get that (... and my FT SC10!) running.

...or...sell it? *blinks eyes like a puppy dog*

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

krushgroove posted:

I remember when Car Action used to cover the yearly championships for those - quad .21 engined beasts, Clodbusters and whatnot...crazy stuff! It just makes me think of the East Coast Modified type racers...basically RC stuff I never saw with my own eyes, just in the pages of magazines.

That's how it used to be for me as well. I saw a spread on the truck pulling nationals in r/c car action back in the early 90's and thought it looked amazing. It always seemed a bit mythical to me as there nothing like it close to me.

I'm going to be running the truck at nationals next year. My original scx10 is also now a full blown pulling truck. They convert extremely easy. I'm going to paint the red truck to match by stripping down the clod body and shooting it in blue. I'll have a "2 mule team" after the 2wd is finished.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Can anyone recommend a good "getting started" guide to RC cars stuff?

I'm considering picking up a Tamiya 84331 Candy Green Grasshopper but really don't know what I'm doing at this point.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I am only just beginning to get back into the hobby after 15 years, so my knowledge is pretty limited. However, the Grasshopper has been a classic beginner's car for like 30 years now, so that seems to be a good choice to me!

This post seems to have a good bit of information for beginners.

Are there any particular questions you have? Something you may be curious about?

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Grasshoppers are definitely cool, but they are extremely fragile, parts are hard to get, and they perform nowhere near the level of a modern r/c car. I'd just go with a Traxxas Slash. That's a great "gateway drug" to getting into rc.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Losi replaced my engine I was complaining about earlier. According to the shop guys, there was something about the carburetor that was messed up causing the motor to always run lean. Getting everything charged up right now. Going to start the break-in process again tomorrow!

Also, it sucks that the LST2-XXL was discontinued a couple weeks ago. There are hopes on other forums that it is because Losi is preparing to introduce a brushless version of it.

e: rofl, I am just having the worst luck. The new motor also had a new pull/spin combo starter backplate. I used the spin start when I was starting to break-in the motor, and the shaft broke off the disc thing it was attached to.

Thankfully, I still have my old motor so I'm going to reuse the backplate from that. I tried to use the pull start, but wasn't able to get it going. I read that using the pull-start to break in the engine often doesn't work. Oh well. One day I will get this truck up and running reliably.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 9, 2013

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Uh oh... I guess I have another kit to build in a month or so :suicide:

http://www.tlracing.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=TLR03002#prodFeatures

Kinda funny my 2wd's setup is extremely close to what they've gone to for the new 22 2.0 buggy. Made some pretty radical changes awhile back at the urging of a TLR team driver and have been EXTREMELY happy with how it has been performing. I'm very interested to see how these front end geometry changes effect the car's handling.

needknees fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 9, 2013

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

needknees posted:

Uh oh... I guess I have another kit to build in a month or so :suicide:

http://www.tlracing.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=TLR03002#prodFeatures

Kinda funny my 2wd's setup is extremely close to what they've gone to for the new 22 2.0 buggy. Made some pretty radical changes awhile back at the urging of a TLR team driver and have been EXTREMELY happy with how it has been performing. I'm very interested to see how these front end geometry changes effect the car's handling.

I saw that press release and must admit, it looks pretty drat tempting to get back into 2WD stock buggy racing with that sweet platform.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
ooo nice TLR 22 buggy, dang it I still have a 22 sct in a box!

summer vacation was amazing for me for two reasons, the scx10 and the thunder tiger mt4.

also they just finished the new onroad track here, me and a friend are gonna race F1, so to add to the project pile is a Tamiya F104 or as its now called with the exotek chassis the F1R.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I really like the way those thin graphite(?) chassis look on those on-road racers.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I so wish F1 racing would take off around here!

I went pulling this weekend and had a freaking blast! Here's my 2wd and a buddy's diesel replica. My new "Missouri Mule" won its first time out. These pics turned out great.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
like wise i wish tractor pulling was here. loved watching tractor pull, mud drag race and monster truck shows on tv.

those pictures are pure awesome! I would love one of those Termyte Chassis.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

HoWSeR posted:

like wise i wish tractor pulling was here. loved watching tractor pull, mud drag race and monster truck shows on tv.

those pictures are pure awesome! I would love one of those Termyte Chassis.

Thanks man, and yeah, it took 12 years for it to finally get going here! It's quite a rush pegging the throttle and watching the 6900kv system on 3s churn those steel gears and send the front end in the air. The trucks actually sound like a super charger because of the steel gears and insane rpm the motors spin at. Here are a couple more shots from today.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
That tractor is amazing.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
(Maaaany pages back - Google doesn't find "jet hopper" in this thread.)

ElBrak posted:

Hey I was wondering if anyone could identify this old RC car I've had for awhile. I got it when i was pretty young and i loved driving it around, though it ate AAs like a champ and need 6 of em at a time.

Bonus image of the "Go Fast" switch.

That brand, tyco, makes the Jet Hopper (aka Hornet rip off). I had one of those too. It looks suspiciously like one of those.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Images aren't loading since they are on Waffleimages. I have a Jet Hopper at home, but it is looking very second hand

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
Ah, there's a sort-of fix for broken waffleimages:

Add this to your hosts file:

#waffleimages
46.59.2.17 img.waffleimages.com

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

So, I have just bought an MCD RaceRunner V4. It's just a rolling chassis right now, needs an engine, servos, battery and radio gear.

Do any of you know if a Rovan Sports 30.5cc engine will go in there?

Edit:

A picture of my RaceRunner! Sorry about the horrible quality

Also, enjoy my hulk flip flops.

TescoBag fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 14, 2013

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Image dump because I'm drat proud of the work we did on our track for this weekend's upcoming Iowa Series race :)

I got the drat thing smoother than our indoor track is most of the time. Many beers met their early demise as I did lap after lap on the track... with a lawnmower :v:. This weekend's race isn't going to be that huge but it should be fun, just hope the track (and myself as an mc) hold up to the beating.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

It's beautiful!!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
That track looks like it would be a blast.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

TescoBag posted:

So, I have just bought an MCD RaceRunner V4. It's just a rolling chassis right now, needs an engine, servos, battery and radio gear.

Do any of you know if a Rovan Sports 30.5cc engine will go in there?

Edit:

A picture of my RaceRunner! Sorry about the horrible quality

Also, enjoy my hulk flip flops.

Awesome! MCD's are really excellent driving cars. I happen to work for Dave's Discount Motors which happens to be the largest 1/5 supplier out there. We don't have MCD parts (kind of a rare breed in the US), but I have engines that will fit it and can find you the best one for any given budget. Give me a call tomorrow between 11-3 MST if you're in the states/Canada.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Awesome! MCD's are really excellent driving cars. I happen to work for Dave's Discount Motors which happens to be the largest 1/5 supplier out there. We don't have MCD parts (kind of a rare breed in the US), but I have engines that will fit it and can find you the best one for any given budget. Give me a call tomorrow between 11-3 MST if you're in the states/Canada.

I am in the UK buddy!

The reason I'm asking as to if a Rovan Sports engine will fit is because a friend of mine as offered me a great deal on one. It fits the baja so in theory it should fit. I pulled the trigger on it anyway :D

Edit:

I am planning on spraying the cover in a red bull style. Any tips on decals etc? Or generally just spraying it.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I think all the racing engines you can get for large scale are Zenoah clones, so you should be fine with that engine. For the Red Bull scheme, you can just do silver and blue in a huge checker pattern and find Red Bull decals on ebay easily enough. I wouldn't bother trying to mask off the inside to do the logo, but it depends how detailed you want to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
needknees: that tracks so beautiful.