Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

I purchased an emote for just such an occasion: :jebstare:

Also, remember that cars are just a bunch of bolts, nothing more. I was told this a long time ago by some type of master mechanic when I was younger, and it has helped me whenever I get into a funk when I'm fixing a car (or motorcycle). In the end, they are just bolts in a [not always] specific order, with parts inbetween. Cars are a bolt sandwich. Anyone can make a sandwich.

This is good advice and is basically true.

Except for the ones where you have to drill rivets or cut steel to get at something/fix something because the designer thought 'no one is EVER gonna need to take this apart!'

Plus those annoying computers and their wiring smoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Geirskogul posted:

Cars are a bolt sandwich. Anyone can make a sandwich.

What sandwiches do you make that let coolant puddle in the tail light housings?

VW :argh:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

That has got to be my absolute favorite mindfuck of a design failure.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
To be a fly on the wall for patient zero....

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Joe Mama posted:

This ignition module was a grand total of 2 weeks old. I must have had a small stroke or something because I replaced the stock 140k mile distributor with one from NAPA. This module is supposed to be slathered in thermal grease. Well, it's no justification but the stock one was literally falling apart and I got the NAPA one for half price. Just say no to NAPA kids.

edit; me words good.

Normally I swear by Napa.

Except for Honda ignitors, goddamn I've been burned by too many of those fuckers. Hit up Majestic Honda (and try to order more than one thing at a time, last time I ordered from them they raped me on S&H). What did this come off of? It looks identical to the one I had in my 91 Integra, but it was also used in Civics (and the Accord part looked very similar too).

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

I thought that was just a blinker fluid leak.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Wait, that's a real thing? How? :psypop:

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Coolant migration all the way through the wiring harness from the coolant sensor. Wicks right up. Then it destroys the harness.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Leak from the coolant reservoir would run down the wiring harness to the lights.

Here's the TSB

efb

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Hey I never said some sandwiches weren't lovely.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I saw the Volkswagen emblem and laughed.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Yeah that's the most :psyduck: thing I've seen in a while.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
A milder version of the same issue affects TD5-engined Land Rovers. Engine oil wicks up the harness and fills the ECU.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

:stare: :ohdear: I, uh, I'm gonna go get a flashlight and check mine right now.

The MazdaSpeed 3's are apparently bad to break motor mounts.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Farking Bastage posted:

Yeah, they used the same soft-as-butter mounts that they did in the regular 3 as far as I know - despite the 100hp advantage over the naturally aspirated engine. Even when they're in new condition they don't really work that well.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Farking Bastage posted:

Thankfully I have a first generation NA bog standard 3. It's a nice car and all, but I'm currently 800 miles from home with my wife and daughters and with only my emergency road kit in the trunk for tools. So, when I saw those busted mounts on that red car, I had a little uncomfortableness.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, they used the same soft-as-butter mounts that they did in the regular 3 as far as I know - despite the 100hp advantage over the naturally aspirated engine. Even when they're in new condition they don't really work that well.

Hahaha, yeeeah I'm thinking some motor mounts are going on my christmas list.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Chrysler did this with the 1st gen SRT-4 too. The amount of motor flex brand new off the floor was a sight to behold. Within a month SRTForums was full of threads describing cracked oil pans from the lower mount smacking it under heavy flex and wheel hop.

:allears:

Been rocking these for a decade. I get some great vibration stopped and idling but that's about it.

Edit: The stock one that broke the pan was the lower right hand one.

You could move the bolt sleeves all the way to the casing. By hand.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 8, 2013

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

You could move the bolt sleeves all the way to the casing. By hand.

But NVH is lower!!!

Christ, no wonder my coworker's regular Neon has poo poo so many motor mounts in the time I've known him.

StimpyBoy
Nov 27, 2002
I am the ones who are the balllickers.
Grimey Drawer

Slow is Fast posted:

Technically it hasn't failed yet.

This came out when I dropped my rally car skidplate today.

I also put it back in, no fucks given. I'll fab better attachment means this fall.

I have a sacrificial metal bar that's weaker than the mounts in between the skid plate and the mounts, it's faster and easier to replace than repairing mounts. But every time I whack it hard, I end up with bolts like that. You get used to it :)

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

The aforementioned Speed3 motor mount

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

IOwnCalculus posted:

But NVH is lower!!!

Christ, no wonder my coworker's regular Neon has poo poo so many motor mounts in the time I've known him.

Here's the upper mount that failed in mine at 10k miles.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

The torque steer, the mounts, and apparently a really aggressive camber is what finally steered me from a speed3 to a WRX.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Here's the upper mount that failed in mine at 10k miles.

That's not a mount, it's a damper. It's not structural. There's usually a real mount hidden directly beneath it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

That's not a mount, it's a damper. It's not structural. There's usually a real mount hidden directly beneath it.

Maybe if someone had told Dodge that, they wouldn't have used it to hold the engine still.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Splizwarf posted:

All 3 "mounts" on my Altima were pretty much the same style as that. One on the passenger side of the engine, two on the bottom (one at the radiator side, one at the firewall side). :allears:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Splizwarf posted:

4 "mounts" in total, you can see them in the picture I posted above. 3 on one side, the upper and lower struts, the point on the frame rail (the only one of of the 4 that is filled but it's the softest of the bunch) and one on the transmission. The rail mount (bottom left in that picture) usually starts sagging at around 30k if you haven't taken the slack out else where with dog bones or filling the others.

You can call it whatever you like but I know when I go to the dealer to buy a "motor mount" they'll ask me which of the 4 I need and if it's a Neon you should probably just buy all 4.

Edit: Also this vvv

IOwnCalculus posted:

Maybe if someone had told Dodge that, they wouldn't have used it to hold the engine still.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 10, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Eh, just spray some windo-weld in there and you're good to go, right? Right?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
My volvo 240 told me the motor mounts were broken by no being able to move the shift lever, didn't even have to look at them.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Farking Bastage posted:

An employee of mine bought a used Mazda 3, and that exact mount broke 3 days after she drove it home. Must be a hell of an engineering failure. :jebstare: (loving love KSP)

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Eh, just spray some windo-weld in there and you're good to go, right? Right?

Never heard of it but apparently marine urethane does a great job of replacing thrashed mounts.

Carteret posted:

:jebstare: (loving love KSP)
The game that is about horrible mechanical failures. And space travel. Sometimes.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
:jebstare:

I bought that emote and I drat well like the use it is getting :colbert:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

General_Failure posted:

Never heard of it but apparently marine urethane does a great job of replacing thrashed mounts.

The game that is about horrible mechanical failures. And space travel. Sometimes.

Ive used Sikaflex to build engine mates for my mates ford corsair after we got quoted $200 a mount (3 of) and it only took us about 2hrs to rip a nearly unbroken set out of a wreck at u-pull-it

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
As long as whenever it dries its roughly the same hardness I'd think you'd be ok. Search whatever the brand and model name is followed by the word durometer.

I believe most engine mounts are in the 70-90 A range.

Amoan
Nov 5, 2009

LIGHTS!:science:

IOwnCalculus posted:

We replace them all the time at the dealership. Thankfully it's extremely easy. Unlike the one underneath...

doogle
May 24, 2003

Slow is Fast posted:

Technically it hasn't failed yet.

This came out when I dropped my rally car skidplate today.

I also put it back in, no fucks given. I'll fab better attachment means this fall.

Hey, I have a valve to match!

(Honda H22 turbo making ~430whp jumped timing)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I can't look at that valve and not see Michael Jackson.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I can't look at that valve and not see Michael Jackson.

The head behind it reminds me of his nose.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Localish autox guy got a Volvo 245 turbo.

Thread: http://www.mrheavyfoot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2833

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?
I realized at the beginning of the summer that I don't know as much as I should about cars, so I've spent the summer lurking in AI and watching YouTube videos of engine rebuilds to try and figure out what all those pieces under my hood are for. However, since this thread loves garage-negligence stories, I've got a contribution.

Earlier in the summer I had some work done on my Mazda MPV at a local garage that has always given me excellent work and low prices. I had my wheels balanced, and when the receptionist called with my estimate, she said they had zeroed out the wheels on their machine but there was still some vibration. Whatever; I can live with a little wheel shimmy.

The first part of the drive home is over slow back roads, but the moment I got the van up over 30, I could tell something was terribly wrong. It wobbled hard, so hard that I pulled over to see if the right rear tire was flat. By this point I was more than halfway home and the shop was closed for the day, so I just drove the rest of the way home, creeping along at about 25 miles per hour.

As I said, I don't know much about cars now and knew even less then, so I spent the evening puzzling over what might cause such a tooth-loosening shimmy. The van simply wasn't safe to drive; the wobbling was genuinely scary. Finally I went to bed, having decided that I would call the garage in the morning and ask what might be up.

I woke up from a dead sleep in the middle of the night: "I bet the lug nuts are loose." The next morning, I got up at the crack of dawn and went outside. The lug nuts weren't just loose; they were barely on. I used my tools to tighten them as best I could, then called Progressive to make use of my free roadside assistance and have it towed back to the garage. The garage, as you might imagine, was mortified. They fixed the car, delivered it back to my house, and gave me a coupon for a free oil change :haw:.

I've seen a couple of pictures in this thread of what would probably have happened to the van if the wheel had come all the way off while I was driving it, and yikes.