Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Space Wizard posted:

What I would like to see is a more in-depth political system beyond Absolute Monarchy <-> Constitutional Monarchy <-> Republic. With the intellectual output and research of all nations, types of government might unlock themselves as time progresses, giving you an opportunity to run your nation/empire/fetid hellpit more to your liking. Want to create a Irish Marxist worker's paradise? Go ahead. Send in the strike breakers and bust some heads because you need to keep up your national GDP to supply your troops? Whatever it takes. United States of Russia dispensing ARE FREEDOMS at bayonet point to the Qing Empire? COME GET SOME. Get your territories taken away because the Glorious And Immortal Pan-Serbian Empire thought they'd do much better under the balkan co-propsperity sphere? Switch your nation to a war footing and set off riots in all your cities. The urban poor were only getting fat anyways.

So...in essence, you want Victoria 2: Total War?

I think part of the issue with this kind of thinking is that when you really get right down to it, the thing that really distinguishes Total War from any other game is its battles. Take that away, and what you're left with is essentially a simplified, stripped-down Paradox title. If you want to take Total War into the modern age, thinking about how to handle the politics isn't the thing to do, you've got to try and work out how the heck you'd tie the battles together properly. Everything else comes AFTER that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

This is probably the most apt thing. Either that or shock troops, but they don't get a unit class in TW.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Is there any fix to medival 2's interface being pixelated and horribly stretched?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

dogstile posted:

This is probably the most apt thing. Either that or shock troops, but they don't get a unit class in TW.

Yeah, shock infantry is the most apt descriptor for no-dachi samurai.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Sethmaster posted:

Come to think about it, why don't you just play Civ 5 with all the expansions? It already fulfill all your stated wants. :raise:

You are aware how insane this sounds considering that game is completely loving different to the Total War series?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

You are aware how insane this sounds considering that game is completely loving different to the Total War series?

No it's a completely fair response given the person he was quoting was describing a game he wanted that is absolutely nothing like Total War. Space Wizard should go play Civ 5. Or Victoria 2. A game that's actually about the things he wants it to be about.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So what if the more complex stuff in Rome 2 actually works well with the AI and they go more in depth with it then?

Because CA would pretty much for it if they could.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

So what if the more complex stuff in Rome 2 actually works well with the AI and they go more in depth with it then?

There's nothing more complex in Rome 2. It's the same old stuff that's been around since Rome 1, they're just trying to get it to actually work. And even if they do, who gives a gently caress? The name of the game is Total War, not Civ or Europa. Go read this post again:

Tomn posted:

So...in essence, you want Victoria 2: Total War?

I think part of the issue with this kind of thinking is that when you really get right down to it, the thing that really distinguishes Total War from any other game is its battles. Take that away, and what you're left with is essentially a simplified, stripped-down Paradox title. If you want to take Total War into the modern age, thinking about how to handle the politics isn't the thing to do, you've got to try and work out how the heck you'd tie the battles together properly. Everything else comes AFTER that.

There's no way CA are going to do what you say. In fact, the trend in Shogun 2 and Rome 2 has been quite clearly to tone down and streamline the grand-strategy bits and focus on the tactical battles. They don't want to turn their unique and best-selling games into weak versions of Paradox and Firaxis games. CA people always sound bemused when people ask about city building because they really don't think anyone should care about that beyond generating tactical battles (which is the only reason the risk map was created in the original Shogun in the first place). They are not going to go there.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 11, 2013

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Victoria 2 has a completely realized economic simulator baked into it wherein individual pops (representing every single person in the world during the Victorian era) buy goods to fulfill their needs and work at farms and factories to pay for those goods. Said factories are established either by the state (the player) or autonomous AI capitalist pops, based on the economic policy of the party in power, and buy goods from farms to produce goods to sell to other factories and pops for a profit - if they don't make a profit, they close down. These pops each have their own individual political beliefs and leanings which are at least partially modified by their economic situation - if a pop is doing badly and cannot find work or is taxed too heavily to buy all his needs and wants, he's likely to swing towards communism as a means of seeing to it that he gets a fair shake. Said political system runs the full spectrum from reactionaries to communists to fascists and anarcho-liberals, and includes a full set of political and social reforms which each political party alternately supports and tries to abolish, including such things as freedom of the press, first-past-the-post or Jeffersonian voting systems, and whether the franchise is extended to the poor and whether the rich are weighted more than the poor, and so on and so forth.

Total War is just never going to get that detailed because in the final equation that is not where their main focus lies.

Edit: Literally every scenario Space Wizard describes is covered in Victoria 2 and in rather more detail than Total War is ever gonna do. It's not that one game is better or worse than another, but Total War's competitive advantage is not and never will be its politics and diplomacy.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 11, 2013

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Alchenar posted:

There's nothing more complex in Rome 2. It's the same old stuff that's been around since Rome 1, they're just trying to get it to actually work. And even if they do, who gives a gently caress? The name of the game is Total War, not Civ or Europa. Go read this post again:

No need to start cussing at me over video games. Maybe I was wrong and misread the point of his post, but the man raises a point in a weird way.

It'd be crazy for CA to try and not make things a little more complicated for future titles.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Alchenar posted:

There's nothing more complex in Rome 2. It's the same old stuff that's been around since Rome 1, they're just trying to get it to actually work.
I don't think Total War is ever going to turn into Paradox Games with full tactical battles, but this really isn't true, and I wish people would stop spouting the "Shogun 2 dumbed everything down" line- it did the opposite- we now have to deal with food, dilemmas, skill trees, passive effects for agents; we get much greater control over income and taxes, there are multiple ways to get growth, there's more depth to the settlements than "build everything everywhere"- we can actually lose in the campaign now. What Shogun 2 did was add a whole bunch of polish, a much friendlier user interface, and added some transparency. It did in no way dumb things down.

Yeah, Total War is never going to turn into CK or EU (nor should it), but it gets more depth with every iteration. The risk map may have been an afterthought in the original Shogun, but the original Shogun was made 13 years ago.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Koramei posted:

I don't think Total War is ever going to turn into Paradox Games with full tactical battles, but this really isn't true, and I wish people would stop spouting the "Shogun 2 dumbed everything down" line- it did the opposite- we now have to deal with food, dilemmas, skill trees, passive effects for agents; we get much greater control over income and taxes, there are multiple ways to get growth, there's more depth to the settlements than "build everything everywhere"- we can actually lose in the campaign now. What Shogun 2 did was add a whole bunch of polish, a much friendlier user interface, and added some transparency. It did in no way dumb things down.

Yeah, Total War is never going to turn into CK or EU (nor should it), but it gets more depth with every iteration. The risk map may have been an afterthought in the original Shogun, but the original Shogun was made 13 years ago.

I didn't say it "dumbed down" stuff. I said exactly what I meant: they're dumping the superficial complexity that masqueraded as depth and have been streamlining things like research and settlement construction so the depth is actually accessible.

But it isn't moving in any direction other than 'be an interesting way to generate armies that fight other armies, in a way that prevents a rush to optimised ubiquitous deathstacks'.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Okay maybe it would have been better for me to quote this bit instead:

quote:

In fact, the trend in Shogun 2 and Rome 2 has been quite clearly to tone down and streamline the grand-strategy bits and focus on the tactical battles.

Which is wrong. That is not the trend. There is tremendous demand for the grand strategy part of the series. If you want another example, they're adding multiple campaign-map-only victory types that aren't directly related to military domination.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Really it just sounds like Alchner is just saying what he wants the game to be, and is trying to invoke CA's name to give it legitimacy.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Alchenar posted:

There's no way CA are going to do what you say. In fact, the trend in Shogun 2 and Rome 2 has been quite clearly to tone down and streamline the grand-strategy bits and focus on the tactical battles. They don't want to turn their unique and best-selling games into weak versions of Paradox and Firaxis games. CA people always sound bemused when people ask about city building because they really don't think anyone should care about that beyond generating tactical battles (which is the only reason the risk map was created in the original Shogun in the first place). They are not going to go there.

I kinda missed this bit. Has it? I mean, streamlining, yes, that's definitely been happening, no arguments here. But does that actually mean there's less grand strategy in Shogun 2 and Rome 2, and does it actually indicate a conscious design decision? Can you point out any notable ways in which, for instance, Shogun 2 has a significantly less-developed grand strategy layer than earlier games?

Actually, this might help clear things up - when you say that Shogun 2 and Rome 2 are "clearly" toning down the grand-strategy layer, can you explain precisely what you mean, with specific examples of what they did in this vein?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Sistergodiva posted:

Is there any fix to medival 2's interface being pixelated and horribly stretched?

What resolution are you playing with? Looks fine to me at 1360x1080.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Grand Prize Winner posted:

What resolution are you playing with? Looks fine to me at 1360x1080.

I'm pretty sure that there's a single 1024x768 texture for the battle/campaign HUD and playing on any other resolution stretches it and makes it look like garbage.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Odobenidae posted:

I'm pretty sure that there's a single 1024x768 texture for the battle/campaign HUD and playing on any other resolution stretches it and makes it look like garbage.

yeah something like that. I've played both rome and empire, but I just couldn't do medival, the camera is just so awful.

Can't wait for rome 2 to come out!

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

:stonk:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Early attempts to make Fire Cavalry were....unsuccessful.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really hope that they overhaul the combat sounds for Rome 2. Since Empire, infantry charges haven't been nearly as exciting. Back in Rome, when the Centurion ordered a charge, troops would absolutely scream while rushing forward. But from Empire onwards, a charge has been less YEEEAARRRGH! and more Nyaaaaaaaaah! It sounds really pissy, and the combat sounds don't help. No clashing and banging, just the sound of two men slapping wet meat together.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

Arcsquad12 posted:

I really hope that they overhaul the combat sounds for Rome 2. Since Empire, infantry charges haven't been nearly as exciting. Back in Rome, when the Centurion ordered a charge, troops would absolutely scream while rushing forward. But from Empire onwards, a charge has been less YEEEAARRRGH! and more Nyaaaaaaaaah! It sounds really pissy, and the combat sounds don't help. No clashing and banging, just the sound of two men slapping wet meat together.

Sounds like a good time to me :gay:

I don't think I've been this hyped for a game in a while. I haven't payed full price for a preorder since Skyrim came out. I absolutely love the Rome setting (medieval being my second favorite).

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
I'm playing my first campaign as Rome but Sparta's tempting because I like how the word sounds.

Peeeeep!

Captain Diarrhoea fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 11, 2013

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

There's gonna be a multiplayer event in an hour and thirty minutes! Games'll be organized in Camping The Stairs, so join the channel if you can!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

"Legionary Titus Pullo is a hero of the 13th Legion! But he has committed a terrible sin, and look at him now."

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007
So I'm playing a new game of regular Shogun 2 with no mods for the first time in forever, and is it me, or did they make The Black Ship nearly impossible to capture? Used to be you could just roll up to it with a couple stacks of ships, auto-resolve the battle, and you'd have a decent chance of capturing the ship. After about a dozen attempts with 2-3 stacks, I seem to just be sinking it every time.

So I penned The Black Ship into a little cove with my ships surrounding it so that it couldn't escape, trained up a bunch of heavy bunes, and tried to fight it manually. And I succeeded! The battle took about 40 minutes, but I managed to board the ship, and its status definitely showed as "Surrendered" when I won the battle... but I STILL didn't get the drat thing! It showed as sunk. What the hell, man?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
I just converted to Christianity and rushed it with Naban trade ships. :shrug:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

nyan horse

I'm a few years into my Otomo campaign. Otomo are really fun, because their gunpowder units are cheap and plentiful and the Portuguese Tercos are a bunch of bad dudes. And, of course, Donderbuss Cavalry :getin:
Tercos unit count is a little small (120), and the Donderbuss cav unit count is a little large (80). I think I can see why everyone in multiplayer hates them. Set them on skirmish mode attacking any unit that isn't cavalry or ranged and it's fire or forget. They can lead away 1/4 of the enemy's samurai on a wild goose chase without any micro. It's really nice for harassing units when on defense and softening up charges. They are also pretty nice general assassins, as one volley will topple at least half a general's bodyguard unit and their good melee and high unit count will finish them up with minimal losses. :iia:

Between the high koku farms on Kyushu and the Nanban port, I'm rolling in money. Additionally, early access to Nanban trade ships means I have a rad navy built up by realm divide to protect the 5 maxed out trade routes. I've found 2 Nanban trade ships can take on a full stack of traditional ships no problem, as long as you take care to disable/rout any ships that can start fires (bow and firebomb kobaya). I even have a dedicated admiral on a stack of 3 Nanban ships! The high quality matchlock troops make siege defense pretty exciting (although they aren't particularly helpful on siege offense unless you sneak them up a back wall).

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I still love how loving accurate the uniforms were in Rome. Someone did their homework.

DrHub
Jun 21, 2012
New screenshot representing city growth, look pretty cool to me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/total_war/9495879118/lightbox/

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

What's with the aquaduct coming out of nowhere?

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Davincie posted:

Aqueducts come from mountain springs.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Davincie posted:

Don't make me start Python quoting.

But that is seriously super pretty. I am so looking forward to growing my own little set of gallic villages into a cosmopolitan city.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

DrHub posted:

New screenshot representing city growth, look pretty cool to me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/total_war/9495879118/lightbox/

They also said that there's 49 different kind of settlements, port battles and cities which I hope will make sieges fun.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really hope that they've fixed sieges for this game. First off, make a siege a long and costly method of taking a city. 6+ turns on the campaign map to besiege a settlement, with equipment production taking a lot longer. Have Sieges be a rare gameplay occurrence, as an absolute last resort.

This would mean cutting out the "If the reinforcing army routs, the city routs too" approach, but I'd take it over having to slog across the walls again.

But anything is better than Empire or Shogun 2's sieges. Grappling hooks and monkey soldiers is worse than a whole unit getting stuck on a siege tower in my mind.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Gonkish posted:

I still love how loving accurate the uniforms were in Rome. Someone did their homework.

Rome has the history a bit wonky for dramatic purposes but it's definitely the most accurate depiction of Roman life/culture ever on a screen.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

I really hope that they've fixed sieges for this game. First off, make a siege a long and costly method of taking a city. 6+ turns on the campaign map to besiege a settlement, with equipment production taking a lot longer. Have Sieges be a rare gameplay occurrence, as an absolute last resort.

This would mean cutting out the "If the reinforcing army routs, the city routs too" approach, but I'd take it over having to slog across the walls again.

But anything is better than Empire or Shogun 2's sieges. Grappling hooks and monkey soldiers is worse than a whole unit getting stuck on a siege tower in my mind.
Sieges are going to be rarer anyway - only provincial 'capital' cities can have walls now.

DrHub
Jun 21, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Rome has the history a bit wonky for dramatic purposes but it's definitely the most accurate depiction of Roman life/culture ever on a screen.

Just watched the 2 seasons back to back, god its incredible. Its really a shame that the second season was rushed and the show never finished. :(

BlueFootedBoobie
Feb 15, 2005

Has anyone checked out the American Civil War mod for Empire? (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?1627-American-Civil-War-The-Blue-and-the-Grey)

For some reason I'm getting a hankering for marching on Richmond.

CA would make a killing if they ever released a Civil War TW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The WW1 Total Conversion mod for Napoleon Total War actually got the first beta release with the campaign.

I'm waiting to see if they'll try doing the Naval stuff too before tackling it.