Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

nem-x posted:

Welp, I think I just lost a three hour chain dungeon run on inferno because I'm stuck on some black screen with music playing, and it won't let me do anything except move the hand cursor around.

Is this some sort of glitch? I've seen a few mentions of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Level 29 Amazon. Is the answer to me getting my poo poo pushed in by the Ancient Dragon (Normal Mode) just "quests and grind some more"?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Loving the game so far, the Killer Rabbit is a nice touch as someone that enjoys Monty Python. But gently caress the Gazer, your typical Beholder that you just love to hate.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

8-bit Miniboss posted:

But gently caress the Gazer, your typical Beholder that you just love to hate.
Definitely my favorite boss so far, same as in Dragon's Dogma.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
There are quite a few references in there.

All the ones I could think of off the top of my head -

The elf is pretty obviously an homage to Chronicles of Mystara (not sure if that counts, the whole game is essentially an homage to chronicles of mystara) also in this vein are a similarity between the magic user/sorcerer, and the fighters silver and gold palettes

Lucain is a fairly obvious gandalf-esque pastiche, down to cloak color and pipe smoking

The person who leads you to the killer rabbit (a monty python reference already pointed out) looks very similar to Tim the Enchanter, the character who leads them to the rabbit in the movie.

The mouse is a fantasia reference - "The sorcerers apprentice".

Some of the dwarf's hammers are essentially mjolnir

the gazer/beholder

I'm not sure if althena is supposed to be a lunar reference, although the statue looks very similar (had it not had it's head removed)

The mermaid who has a lot of curiosity about the surface world and asks a lot of questions - the little mermaid

Some of these might be a little too obvious to be homage, some may be reaching, but there's a lot of love in this game, and it shows.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Loving the game so far, the Killer Rabbit is a nice touch as someone that enjoys Monty Python. But gently caress the Gazer, your typical Beholder that you just love to hate.

No way, rabbit is easily the most "gently caress you" boss in the game because of that instant kill attack. Also when that rabbit attacks it sometimes has shadow allies which also deal out the same instant death hit later on. And every time it attacks on higher difficulties it has the shadows. It's such a pain to get a bead on that thing as an Elf, but probably not as bad as Medusa in that regard.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Those spear lizard things use the same whirlwind spear attack that I've seen the troglodytes from the D&D arcade games use, and it's just as annoying here as it was there.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Feenix posted:

Level 29 Amazon. Is the answer to me getting my poo poo pushed in by the Ancient Dragon (Normal Mode) just "quests and grind some more"?

Quests, grind some more, and make sure you're geared for your level.

Edit:

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Is this some sort of glitch? I've seen a few mentions of this.

If you try and play online, sometimes the game just loving blows up trying to connect to someone else.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Feenix posted:

You can bring dudes with you if you haven't already. I just did it solo and got slaughtered but then brought a whole bunch of high level dudes and killed it in 50 seconds without getting hit.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

When will we get patch 1.01? I keep forgetting I can't help my Japanese friends out.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Systems_Id posted:

10 hours in with a LVL26 Amazon and I can safely say that my biggest complaint with the game is the piss poor visual communication in the game. If there's more than five enemies on screen it becomes impossible to tell just what the gently caress is going on since the camera zooms so far out. It does help when Wizards and Sorcerers are spamming screen filling spells left and right. Still having a blast with the game though.
Indeed. The indicators of your own lifebar and disarmed weapon need to be like 500% more visually egregious, because they're all but invisible in multiplayer combat.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Honestly I don't think this game is any fun with more than two players. I'll lose track of where I am constantly, and then the next time I see myself is when I respawn.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
US version needs to get patched desperately so I can actually play with people, this is bullshit.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I need to learn how to be a proper sorceress. Created one as a break from my dwarf and up to the 9 artifacts part of the game. I'm way too addicted to the lightning staffs... they honestly just seem better in every possible way. Jump over something and hit down circle to unleash a unholy clusterfuck of lightning, have a screenwide beam of lightning, slow homing projectiles etc.

I try switching to ice and fire as the levels dictate but the effects are so much more underwhelming it's unreal.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
When I resurrect NPCs I always part ways with the ones that are the same class as me. The colors aren't visually distinct enough to easily tell apart when the poo poo really hits the fan, and i'll be idiotically swinging my sword at nothing in a corner while everything's blowing up. I'm still not as bad as the NPC elves though. They love to shoot at nothing.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I need to learn how to be a proper sorceress. Created one as a break from my dwarf and up to the 9 artifacts part of the game. I'm way too addicted to the lightning staffs... they honestly just seem better in every possible way. Jump over something and hit down circle to unleash a unholy clusterfuck of lightning, have a screenwide beam of lightning, slow homing projectiles etc.

I try switching to ice and fire as the levels dictate but the effects are so much more underwhelming it's unreal.

I've honestly come to prefer ice staves in general anymore as a Wizard. Of course, I've also learned how to make the air iceball hit like six times on most targets which is just nuts with the Levitate bonus (does the Sorceress have anything similar?) and the freezing (for free jabs for MP refills) and low mana costs means I'm almost never at a want for mana so I can keep the spam train rolling. The fact that the whole team loves you for locking up entire spawns for them to beat on too is a plus, but even solo I usually can get through most stages without even needing all the food found to keep myself overhealed.

I'd miss the damage on bosses, but Slow + Blaze + Ice Wind Pillar generally rips apart most bosses- at least on normal, which I'm just wrapping up- so quickly anyways that it probably doesn't matter.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Megalixir posted:

US version needs to get patched desperately so I can actually play with people, this is bullshit.

I know right? I really want to play this game with my friends. :( It's a lot of fun to play, the mechanics are solid in my opinion, and its a beautiful looking game, but a lot of technical issues and bugs really hold it back.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Anyone on Infernal Ancient Dragon and can come help me? It's impossible to solo this one because he has too much HP and they heal, don't really feel like going straight to 99 just to get a meager increase on DPS either.

Teslavi helped and proved why Sorceresses are awesome.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 11, 2013

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
How does the voice chat for this game work on ps3 and vita?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

SoggyGravy posted:

Skype. Vita has party chat between your friends as well, I suppose.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SoggyGravy posted:

There's no integrated voice chat in the game.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Hey, don't be dumb like me and ignore the recommend level of B route paths because Red Dragons have no pity on lowly ants trying to steal their treasure.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Full Battle Rattle posted:

There are quite a few references in there.

I'm not sure if althena is supposed to be a lunar reference, although the statue looks very similar (had it not had it's head removed)

It's the statue of Nike at Samothrace:

I'm not familiar with the Lunar image but it may be referencing the same.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol

Million Ghosts posted:

Not to call you out, but I'm a Wizard and I found the Gazer no harder than anything else, even with his magic sealing. You aren't the only one saying he's a dick either, am I missing something or what?

I got my rear end handed to me. I guess I was doing something wrong in how I went about attacking him. I charged up lava bracers, frenzied until I lost the charge then power smashed and repeat.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
Well folks should add me on steam or skype or somesuch to dragoncrown it up! Steam: Soggygravy

Got me a 25 dwarf

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
How do the floors in the chaos of labyrinth work? I know they unlock per difficulty, but if you change difficulty, do all the previously unlocked floors scale to your level as well?

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

I just sent a bunch of friend invites to people on the PS3 list in the OP. Sorry they were blind invites, my PC and PS3 share the screen and I just alternate between settings to check things. The invites should be from Grugmak.

Deliciouscesium
Apr 10, 2012
I hate trying beat the Red Dragon in the time limit. Even with friends, we built up extra lives so we could dish out extra damage during the pillaging of it's treasure room as the actual 'timer' only starts when it chases you down the hallway. The recommended level it gave just didn't matter for that one.

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

Deliciouscesium posted:

I hate trying beat the Red Dragon in the time limit. Even with friends, we built up extra lives so we could dish out extra damage during the pillaging of it's treasure room as the actual 'timer' only starts when it chases you down the hallway. The recommended level it gave just didn't matter for that one.

When I beat it the second time we killed it entirely in the treasure room, that was rough but it is doable

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
My friend(fighter) and I(sorceress) didn't have too much problem beating the time limit by doing ~25% of its HP in the treasure room and then the rest in the hallway. It died reliably at around the time the first ballista appears.

Then again, Protection is a hell of a drug for increasing damage output.

Deliciouscesium
Apr 10, 2012

Kanos posted:

My friend(fighter) and I(sorceress) didn't have too much problem beating the time limit by doing ~25% of its HP in the treasure room and then the rest in the hallway.

Is it just me or does the hallway, by itself, not give players enough time to defeat the boss (even at the recommended level)? The other alternate routes seem reasonable, and possible for players under the recommended level, to complete compared to this one.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Well yeah, that's why you don't need to flee right off the bat. I think you can even kill it in the final escape sequence if it's low enough on HP, provided you have something to hit it with at range since trying to melee will get you punted.

It's stated to be one of the strongest creatures in the world by the game itself and it's the highest level B route boss, so it makes total sense that it's the hardest boss besides the final one by far.

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

I found the B path forest boss harder, just because hes so much harder to hit

blat blat blat
Apr 20, 2013
Does the wizard fire ward spell add fire damage to ally attacks?? I need something to replace friggin meteor poo poo spell.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Perpetual Notion posted:

When I beat it the second time we killed it entirely in the treasure room, that was rough but it is doable

When I did it I took it solo in the treasure room. At first it was insane, but after a minute I learnt its attacks and it became so much easier. The fire breath is the most dangerous, but everything else can be dodged really easily so long as you pay attention.

As an Elf all I did was running/upwards arrows til I ran out, then dagger + backstab for 10 hits, then switch back to bow then dagger etc. Was risky but paid off.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Having a Sorc with Protection makes fighting the Red Dragon in the treasure room a lot easier too. Well, I guess Protection makes everything a lot easier. I still find the Arch Demon more difficult though. When you get him under 50% health he just flips out and starts spewing a bunch of ridiculous spells that are super hard to avoid. Every fight against him ends up grueling.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
I'm having a blast with this game. Add Nightmare-Sinner so we can cook bat gumbo between dungeons.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
My friend and I have been really craving a good local co-op game for so long, but I only have one PS3 controller. Does the game use the triggers for pressure sensitivity at all, or the second analog stick? I'm really hoping that I could use my fight stick instead of having to buy another dual-shock. I have a couple of logitech controllers and the PC xbox-style controller too, but I don't know how well those work for the PS3.

Also, are there any quirks about local co-op? I remember when we tried Borderland, the menu sizes didn't shrink for splitscreen co-op so that you could barely read anything, and it made the game pretty unplayable. I just want a game where local co-op is fun and not something the developers seemed annoyed to include, you know?

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I've had some luck attaching USB controllers to my PS3. I had a super old USB pad that worked as a fighting game controller, and the PS2 -> USB converter I have works absolutely fine with no hassles, which is great because I sometimes nick the L2/R2 on the standard PS3 pad when I don't mean to.

There is a setting to use the d-pad for movement instead of the analog stick BUT you will lose out on things like rune magic and possibly more importantly certain item/spell uses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Cephas posted:

Also, are there any quirks about local co-op? I remember when we tried Borderland, the menu sizes didn't shrink for splitscreen co-op so that you could barely read anything, and it made the game pretty unplayable. I just want a game where local co-op is fun and not something the developers seemed annoyed to include, you know?

Players have to visit shops one by one, which means getting ready to adventure can take a while. Only Player 1's character gets story progression, which means you need to keep the same character as Player 1 or redo stuff. Aside from those two issues, it's been pretty good about local play.

• Locked thread