Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Mico posted:

Voting is now open!

Also I have learned that Natto is in Cooking Mama 4, on the 3DS. Which means I literally cannot record it. So pick something else. Preferably something less digusting.

so not kimchi then
e: my real vote is Panna Cotta from Cooking Mama 2, to see how you handle a nice dessert

dordreff fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Aug 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I separate egg yolks straight up with the two halved shells: keep the egg contents inside one half and just constantly swap the yolk back and forth. Something about the shell makes it perfect for cutting the whites from the yolk. Just keep a bowl underneath to catch the drippings and you'll be left with a perfect yolk in a half shell.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

pandaK posted:

I separate egg yolks straight up with the two halved shells: keep the egg contents inside one half and just constantly swap the yolk back and forth. Something about the shell makes it perfect for cutting the whites from the yolk. Just keep a bowl underneath to catch the drippings and you'll be left with a perfect yolk in a half shell.

The problem with that method is that if you aren't perfect with it or don't crack the egg right you can get the yolk caught on an edge and broken.

Pfefferbao
Jun 1, 2011
Cotoletta from Cooking Mama 2. It's fried breaded meat. I doubt your roommates will object to that.

Just use your drat hands to separate the eggs and your crust looks a little on the pale side.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
I'm going to vote for Mapo Tofu. It's on the Wii Cooking Mama. Mico you should prepare a short list of stuff you are more interested in making, it'll lessen the spread and also prevent you from maybe having to buy a bunch of ingredients you'll only use once.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Steak. All y'all living in the western hemisphere don't know how good you have it.

It's possible to find bacon in slab form but I think what probably happened in Cooking Mama is that in a lot of Asia raw pork belly is sold as bacon. Pork belly is bacon without the delicious curing and/or smoking. I would be upset about it if I didn't just eat Chinese food every meal anyway.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Aug 11, 2013

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

Because I'm basically terrible in every regard I'm going to suggest escargot from Cooking Mama 2

But really because nobody would eat it I am also suggesting a good chili con carne from Cooking Mama 3 because really, you can never go wrong with a delicious chili.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

There are premade crusts at a local bakery near me, if I were to make this I would just use that. A quiche does seem like a me type of meal. Throw a bunch of poo poo together, throw it in the oven and turn it up. Although I think I'm lazy enough to not cook any ingredients and just throw it all in the oven.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

Spudd posted:

There are premade crusts at a local bakery near me, if I were to make this I would just use that. A quiche does seem like a me type of meal. Throw a bunch of poo poo together, throw it in the oven and turn it up. Although I think I'm lazy enough to not cook any ingredients and just throw it all in the oven.

Enter the croc pot. The king of throwing any pile of poo poo in to a big heated bowl and leaving it for 6 hours only to come back to something actually edible.

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

Sundowner posted:

Enter the croc pot. The king of throwing any pile of poo poo in to a big heated bowl and leaving it for 6 hours only to come back to something actually edible.

God yes. Those things are amazing if you're a lazy rear end in a top hat with a lot of spare time.
I suppose normal people could get some use out of it too?

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Sundowner posted:

I didn't know this existed and now I do. Thank you.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Elissia posted:

God yes. Those things are amazing if you're a lazy rear end in a top hat with a lot of spare time.
I suppose normal people could get some use out of it too?

They're relatively safe to leave on for as long as necessary so you could set it up in the afternoon and go do all your regular day stuff and come back in the evening to a meal. Depending on your school/work hours you could even leave it running on low/medium while you're at work and it shouldn't burn down the house or anything. That said, I'd probably test that first or stick with meals that have a lot of liquid in them if you plan to leave it on unattended.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
Voting for chili con carne, simple and easy. Also, on the topic of egg separating, just pour the egg slowly onto your open hand. catch the yolk on your fingers, and just let the white flow between them. Like a pro chef.

BoastfulVirus
Jun 13, 2013

Being totally honest those sausages didn't look too appealing, but great episode. Voting for Chili Con Carne i'm interested how it'll turn out.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

I'm gonna vote on bananas foster, because 1. it's a desert, and 2. fire!

If you aren't comfortable with fire for some reason, then borscht.

Renzuko fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Aug 12, 2013

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Finally! Someone who has something other then undying love for swiss cheese. I like it in some applications (pressed cuban sandwiches mostly), but it's just not what I usually use. I'm not too fond of that middle-of-the-mouth tang. I much prefer Jarlsburg.

Do stuffed peppers! A favorite meal of mine.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Man I have the same mixer. I'm pretty sure if you set it to max it'll open a wormhole.

Good episode. I think I'll make a quiche this week

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Crockpots aren't dangerous, are they? My family has been cooking stuff like whole chickens while everyone is at work/school for years and years without incident.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
Sticking with the stuffed peppers suggestion from last time. More people need to know how to cook them, because they're awesome.

Regarding yolk separation, I just use the eggshell. I've never been even close to popping a yolk with the shell, because there's a membrane of egg white covering both shell and yolk, it just slides off.

Also, we have that sort of bacon in Romania. Sold just as a slab of meat exactly like it's in the game. It's just smoked/cured pork belly that's cut as a chunk rather than strips. That said, I always cut it much thinner than shown in the game, more similar to actual strips of bacon.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Borscht. It is by far the most fun food to say that I've seen mentioned so far, so obviously it's going to be good for eatin'. Borscht borscht borscht.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Gnocchi from Cooking Mama: Cook Off, because pasta.

btw if you're bad at separating eggs you can just crack it into your hands and let the egg white filter through your fingers like shown here. Less chance of breaking the yolk that way. Also, separating eggs when they're cold is easier than if at room temperature.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Throwin in my vote for a good ol' Steak.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

I'm voting for Gnocchi cause I never figured out how to actually make a decent rear end dish of Gnocchi.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Walrus Pete posted:

Borscht. It is by far the most fun food to say that I've seen mentioned so far, so obviously it's going to be good for eatin'. Borscht borscht borscht.

Throwing a vote down for this too because I agree and because Borchst is loving tasty and not too complicated to actually make and looks really nice!

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Aug 11, 2013

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Sundowner posted:

Throwing a vote down for this too because I agree and because Borchst is loving tasty and not too complicated to actually make and looks really nice!

Yeah, definitely some sweet, sweet Borscht. Failing that, I'm sure the Welsh National Dish (Cheese on Toast) would do. :P

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Tossing in a vote for borchst.

I love the concept of this LP. It's a shame they never made a "DIY" version like they did with Wario Ware. I'd love to see you actually be able to do a chickencheese.

Chips Challenged
Jun 26, 2012

Bummer.
Mico is now the president of the "Just say no to Pie Crust" campaign. Also, Borscht is an awesome suggestion. I'm completely behind that.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I'd like to see your take on steak.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Comic posted:

I'm going to vote for Mapo Tofu. It's on the Wii Cooking Mama. Mico you should prepare a short list of stuff you are more interested in making, it'll lessen the spread and also prevent you from maybe having to buy a bunch of ingredients you'll only use once.

I really like this idea.

Bacon cooking tips :chef:

When you need to cut bacon into small strips, it can be useful to stick it in the freezer for a few minutes before cooking. It solidifies the fat, which makes it easier to slice.

When browning bacon, I like to add a small splash of water with the bacon. The water will help cook the bacon, then when it evaporates, there'll just be the bacon fat left, so you can brown it as much as you want.

I believe white peppercorns are basically black peppercorns, but with the black husk stripped off. They're generally used in light coloured sauces or foods. As far as how they differ in taste, white pepper has the same flavour, but less spice if you will. I usually don't give a gently caress, and just use black pepper wherever pepper is called for.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

One thing that I am confused about in the recipe used here is that it didn't call for the butter to be creamed/whipped (well, Mama's recipe did). It really helps make a difference in baked stuff :shobon: Makes the texture more appealing, from what I've seen. Slice butter in to tiny pieces (increase surface area, meaning it'll get to room temperature faster), then mix for a bit to get it all gooey and creamy. Lots of pastries and breads call for this mixed with sugar in the earlier stages of the recipes.

Also, if you ever have issues spreading out dough, put in a tiny bit of water. I've made pretzels in the past, and those things can be motherfuckers to work if they're a bit too dry (like Mico encountered with the pie crust here). An extra teaspoon or two of water might've made a huge difference in helping him flatten it out. For folks trying to get a circular shape going on, I've found that using something large and circular-shaped can help ease this along. Maybe not use it as a press of sorts, but a large plate as a "mold" could help you spread out the dough 70% of the way if you wanted to go that route. Just a shortcut method if you're worried about it getting too oblongish :v: Bonus tip: some folks use the ring on the underside of plates for things like this pretty often (ie: consistent burger patty sizes and thicknesses). Plates are handy!

There is a slight difference between how white pepper and black pepper taste, but I've never been able to really spot it; I think it boils down to aesthetics for some people maybe v:v:v Or those with a more sensitive palate.

Egg whites themselves can give a more fluffy texture to cakes/breads that require them. Typically you'd separate it out, mix it with some cream of tartar, and fluff the whites until what the recipe wants (soft peaks are usually what I've encountered). Of course, that's just before you bake in most cases (and you FOLD it in for these situations). But that's another thing entirely.

Regarding egg white separation, there are a few key things behind this (Skippy and I were actually discussing this recently):
0) WASH YOUR HANDS. You use them a lot in this process.
1) Crack the egg on a FLAT SURFACE. Everyone I've ever seen uses an edge/corner; don't do this. You get stray shell fragments in there pretty often, an ugly shell-break, and a good chance of the yolk getting pierced. Pop it on the counter-top twice (or once after you get a feel for the eggs you're dealing with) so that you can open the shell with your fingers. Once you get used to this, you can get close to a lid-like action with the top shell half.
2) Get two bowls (three if you are keeping the egg yolk). Hold the egg over the first bowl, opening the eggshell itself. If you got a good break in it, you can toss aside the top half and you end up with an almost bowl-like bottom eggshell half.
3) Put your free hand's fingers along the side of the egg and pour its contents in to your hand. Bear in mind that eggyolk is super slippery-like. The white will spill off in to the bowl, but you need to be tricky to keep the yolk in your hand. What I do is I will part my fingers in that hand SLIGHTLY. Basically, use space between your fingers as a strainer of sorts. The white and its extra bits will fall in to the bowl below your hand and you end up with a neat, cleanly-separated yolk. Plop it in to the sink or wherever you want it.
4) Grab a new egg. Remember the extra bowl? Well, you are going to use ONE bowl for your present egg. After you get a cleanly separated egg white, dump that in to the original bowl with the additional whites. This way, if you gently caress up, you won't ruin the entire egg white batch.

I've never screwed up egg white separation with this process. Ever. It's simple and awesome.

Also, was there an editing cut at the whisking part? :colbert: That wasn't a good whisking, sir!

On a more important note...

Geop fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 11, 2013

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
For separating egg yolks you could just use this genius tactic :v:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Sundowner posted:

For separating egg yolks you could just use this genius tactic :v:
I love finding nifty new shortcuts for cooking things :buddy: Might try that out if I ever get better water bottles (since Ozarka bottles are crap).

xxarmageddonxx
May 17, 2012
Mico, I really like this LP as well, I can't cook for poo poo, and I can actually follow these directions. Question though: What's the price tag on making these dishes? Understandable YMMV, but generally speaking what's the price on how much it costs to make?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

xxarmageddonxx posted:

Mico, I really like this LP as well, I can't cook for poo poo, and I can actually follow these directions. Question though: What's the price tag on making these dishes? Understandable YMMV, but generally speaking what's the price on how much it costs to make?

First time out a dish will usually cost more if you don't have the spices around. The curry cost me about £10 first time but if I made it again it would only be £5 since I'd only need to get the coconut milk, potatoes, chicken and tomatoes. Then that's for a load that'd be good for at least 2-3 meals.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Aww yeah beepdog

a bloody icon
Apr 22, 2012

Elissia posted:

Because I'm basically terrible in every regard I'm going to suggest escargot from Cooking Mama 2

But really because nobody would eat it I am also suggesting a good chili con carne from Cooking Mama 3 because really, you can never go wrong with a delicious chili.

Escargot is loving delicious in that it mainly just tastes like garlic butter.

Also make gnocchi. You know you want to.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

^^^ :hfive: Escargot buddy. It's delicious, but probably not feasible for the LP.

Instead I'll vote for Stuffed Peppers because they're delicious.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Y'know, escargot in wherever you live actually might be interesting... but gross as poo poo.
If you can, try the Sushi from Cooking Mama: Cook Off.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
Chorizo isn't blood sausage, just regular pork. The red color is from a combination of the grease and the chiles. You might have been thinking of morcilla, which is blood sausage and has a much darker color, closer to black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beardly
Jan 28, 2009

:kratos:AREEEES!!:kratos:
This has been a fantastic, unique LP, and I've really been enjoying this. :)

I'm throwing another vote towards borscht since I have never had it and I'd be interested in seeing how it's made.

• Locked thread