Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

That certainly is a needlessly overcomplicated and mostly irrelevant answer to that question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

That certainly is a needlessly overcomplicated and mostly irrelevant answer to that question.

I forgot to include the below quote as well in my post and mainly as a response to

DFu4ever posted:

Green Lantern's ring can't affect yellow objects. Not sure if this has ever changed in the book. I think it had something to do with an impurity in the rings, but I could be wrong.

It was changed in the book, impurity in rings, etc.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

There is a flaw in their power source is basically it. It's a hell of a lot better than ????Yellow!?!????

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Senor Candle posted:

There is a flaw in their power source is basically it. It's a hell of a lot better than ????Yellow!?!????

After re-reading his post...I take it as kind of meta commentary. Much like a lot of superhero comics "Did we really need all that poo poo to explain something?"

He might not have meant it that way, but, DEATH TO THE AUTHOR!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gatts posted:

After re-reading his post...I take it as kind of meta commentary. Much like a lot of superhero comics "Did we really need all that poo poo to explain something?"

He might not have meant it that way, but, DEATH TO THE AUTHOR!

That's how I took it at first too.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Doing the whole Parallax as the reason for the yellow weakness is kindof necessary if you want to introduce the other 7-8 corps, otherwise they'd all have to have some sort of goofy "can't touch this" weakness, too, and what can't rage or avarice or hope touch?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gatts posted:

Nah, you can actually take that post pretty much at face-value.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

TheJoker138 posted:

As cliche as it is, it would actually work much better as a TV series. Maybe after his current HBO thing ends he'll have the clout to get it made somewhere, but I doubt it.

They're adapting American Gods iirc? I hope that if it succeeds we get a Sandman or Death series.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Wouldn't Sandman be too expensive to make into a TV series? Its very big on the surreal visuals, after all. I can't think of a sandman story that doesn't have really crazy visuals in some places and there are a lot of things that are important to the overarching story that would be pretty expensive to film, like when he visits hell.

Gaiman writing a more original take on the story for TV would be something I'd love to see, though. I think the way Sandman is now works really well as a comic but the idea behind it would work perfectly well as a TV series: a mix of one-off stories about the endless and stories about people encountering the supernatural, with all the elements building up into an overarching story behind the scenes.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Red Bones posted:

Wouldn't Sandman be too expensive to make into a TV series? Its very big on the surreal visuals, after all. I can't think of a sandman story that doesn't have really crazy visuals in some places and there are a lot of things that are important to the overarching story that would be pretty expensive to film, like when he visits hell.

Gaiman writing a more original take on the story for TV would be something I'd love to see, though. I think the way Sandman is now works really well as a comic but the idea behind it would work perfectly well as a TV series: a mix of one-off stories about the endless and stories about people encountering the supernatural, with all the elements building up into an overarching story behind the scenes.

If it got a Game of Thrones budget I could see it working. But I don't think anyone is insane enough to give it that kind of budget.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TheJoker138 posted:

As cliche as it is, it would actually work much better as a TV series. Maybe after his current HBO thing ends he'll have the clout to get it made somewhere, but I doubt it.

I really don't think it would work at all, it would be hideously expensive and it's meandering to the point that it makes Carnivale look like 24.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I really don't think it would work at all, it would be hideously expensive and it's meandering to the point that it makes Carnivale look like 24.

Things can always be condensed and made more TVish. That's why it's called adaptation and not translation. The hard part would be finding someone who can do that well.

The budget thing...well, see my above post.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Guardians of The Galaxy set photos from London:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The MSJ posted:

Oh no.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Hitchhikers Guide to the Guardians of the Galaxy

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
People bitched when the alien scenes in Green Lantern were 2/3rds of Ryan Reynolds' head floating around CGI monsters and how much better it would be with practical effects, and now they're gonna complain about actual practical-effect aliens too aren't they? :ughh:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

...of SCIENCE! posted:

People bitched when the alien scenes in Green Lantern were 2/3rds of Ryan Reynolds' head floating around CGI monsters and how much better it would be with practical effects, and now they're gonna complain about actual practical-effect aliens too aren't they? :ughh:

Maybe they will bitch about humans in weird clothing being a loving uninspired practical effect instead. You never know.

Two aliens in prosthetics = cool.

Humans with silly skin colors or clothes = stupid.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Considering that Rocket Raccoon and Groot are in this movie, all the weird ones might be CGIed in later. Then again, many Marvel aliens look human anyway.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
They are all just Skrulls shapeshifted as humanoids right now.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Some things just don't translate well to live-action. I knew GL was going to look like a funny wet turd as soon as they confirmed they were making one. If things look goofy in their native medium (comic books) they're generally going to look goofy in a movie.

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...
Because set photos are a well-known indicator of finished onscreen product.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Eh. I don't think it's all that bad. It's probably a long/far shot (based off the helicopter) of people/aliens running away from something so they took some effort to have bright colors and standouts. Maybe it's in the movie as a background or less than 3 seconds or something.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I like it. I say MORE weird and goofy costumes and day-glo aliens! MORE!

Seriously it's a fun look. Maybe I'm just happy to see them heading straight in the opposite direction from the grit and "realism" of typical blockbusters.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

PriorMarcus posted:

Maybe they will bitch about humans in weird clothing being a loving uninspired practical effect instead. You never know.

Two aliens in prosthetics = cool.

Humans with silly skin colors or clothes = stupid.

Are aliens that look like primary colored humans more or less stupid than aliens that look exactly like humans (ex. Thor, Superman)?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Aliens that look like humans but different color or head dimples always bothered me until I saw the movie K-Pax where he compared himself looking like human to why bubbles are round: it's the most energy-efficient configuration. For some reason, after that "different looking humans" kind of alien never bothered me.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Surely they're going to apply a bunch of effects to every scene in the movie, that guy could have a head full of yellow tentacles in the final cut

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Vin Diesel just posted this to his Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151878318288313&set=a.10150844693113313.461646.89562268312&type=1&relevant_count=1

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

The MSJ posted:

This looks all kinds of cheesy great.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

His voice would certainly do Groot justice.

And it wouldn't stop him from being in a later film as another character either.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 12, 2013

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Really like the look of those aliens. It's like, expensive camp.

Humanoid aliens isn't just a staple of comic books, it's a staple of sci-fi in general. Just embrace it or go watch something else.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Even more pics can be seen on this blog.

By the way, are the Inhumans considered Fox property since they started off in the Fantastic Four?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

bowser posted:

By the way, are the Inhumans considered Fox property since they started off in the Fantastic Four?

Marvel once considered making an Inhumans movie, so I guess the movie rights are with Marvel.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

YES!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

It's a swerve. He's in GotG which is what that picture indicates but he'll be Thanos.

Actually Vin as Groot, acting it out physically or mocapping or something, would be nice more than just being a voice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gatts posted:

It's a swerve. He's in GotG which is what that picture indicates but he'll be Thanos.

He can do both!

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Now all that's left is Rocket Raccoon. Fingers crossed for H. Jon Benjamin or David Tennant (who I think are in the running?).

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Hewlett posted:

Now all that's left is Rocket Raccoon. Fingers crossed for H. Jon Benjamin or David Tennant (who I think are in the running?).

Haycinth Bucket (pronounced Bouquet) from Keeping Up Apperances? Timothy Dalton?

Possibly, mistakenly casting an Aussie like Hugh Jackman?

EDIT: Mr. Bean?

EDIT 2: OOOO Benedict Cumberbatch is all the rage these days.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 12, 2013

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rhyno posted:

He can do both!

John Rhys-Davies was a talking tree and a main character in the LOTR movies. Vin can do the same thing!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Codependent Poster posted:

John Rhys-Davies was a talking tree and a main character in the LOTR movies. Vin can do the same thing!

This was what I was going to say but I was posting from my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Gatts posted:

Haycinth Bucket (pronounced Bouquet) from Keeping Up Apperances? Timothy Dalton?

Possibly, mistakenly casting an Aussie like Hugh Jackman?

EDIT: Mr. Bean?

EDIT 2: OOOO Benedict Cumberbatch is all the rage these days.

Well, I say Tennant because his face already looks like a raccoon.

• Locked thread