  • Post
BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Harminoff posted:

drat Aaron is sounding pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rLVHd5Sfk0

Will be interesting to see what new material he has for his tour.

He played Genene Friday night (i think he said for the first time) otherwise it was the same set he was playing last year basically. 90% ween material. He dropped Tried and True for Stallion pt 3, can't really be disappointed by that. Awesome show all in all. There was a radio simulcast so I'm sure it will show up somewhere at some point.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Oh cool, there's a Ween thread here. I didn't even know about the drama surrounding the breakup and its aftermath until I read this thread, all I remember was a sad Facebook update from my sister when it happened. I've been on a real Ween kick lately- my favorite album is The Mollusk, which barely beats out Quebec in my book because of its variety. I got a lot of listening to do here.

What's the story behind "Where'd the Cheese Go?" I think I heard that it was a song submitted to Pizza Hut for a commercial, but I don't know much beyond that.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Y-Hat posted:

What's the story behind "Where'd the Cheese Go?" I think I heard that it was a song submitted to Pizza Hut for a commercial, but I don't know much beyond that.

Yeah that's it. Pizza Hut approached them and they recorded that.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Y-Hat posted:

What's the story behind "Where'd the Cheese Go?" I think I heard that it was a song submitted to Pizza Hut for a commercial, but I don't know much beyond that.

Well they first did the jingle without the f word and submitted it to them. Pizza Hut didn't like it enough and wanted them to redo it. Ween being ween said gently caress that and the 2nd version was born.

Actually this explains it pretty well. http://www.fataldownflaw.com/this-is-ween-again-also-pizza-hut-2876/

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 30, 2013

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Let's take a moment to appreciate how amazing this band was live. This is all stuff from the Live in Chicago DVD.

Mutilated Lips
Roses Are Free
Take Me Away
Transdermal Celebration
Big Jilm
Booze Me Up and Get Me High
The Blarney Stone
All of My Love (Led Zeppelin cover)

Eddie Dingle
Nov 4, 2007

Got a weasel teazel my pleazel got a weasel.
Speaking of live shows...Deaner Playing with Les Claypool Not the best quality video, but pretty cool nonetheless.

EDDIE__DINGLE
Mar 18, 2013

Eddie Dingle posted:

Speaking of live shows...Deaner Playing with Les Claypool Not the best quality video, but pretty cool nonetheless.

Recent shot of Les and Deaner shooting their fishing show on the Deleware.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/479241_10200900264650270_1372776072_o.jpg

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Found on /r/Ween this morning - GWAR covering Birthday Boy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uyp2RGFMAOc

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

me your dad posted:

Found on /r/Ween this morning - GWAR covering Birthday Boy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uyp2RGFMAOc

Is there any info about when this was recorded?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

screaden posted:

Is there any info about when this was recorded?

Wikipedia says it's from this album, which came out in 2000.

I like the way Old Man Thunder was mixed into the beginning.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 12:48 on May 19, 2013

EDDIE__DINGLE
Mar 18, 2013

EDDIE__DINGLE posted:

Recent shot of Les and Deaner shooting their fishing show on the Deleware.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/479241_10200900264650270_1372776072_o.jpg

Soundcloud of Les and Deaner covering cocaine blues at that NYC show from 4/28/13 - thank you to Randy Byers for taping.

http://m.soundcloud.com/funkit-0/les-claypools-duo-de-twang

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Continuing the Les/Deaner collaboration chat - from the Primus newsletter:

http://prawnsong.com/newsletter/2013/0521/newsletter_052113.html

quote:

Do you wanna fish with Claypool and Deaner?
If so, use your smartphone/iPhone and send us a close up video saying so, "I wanna fish with Claypool and Deaner!" is the phrase we are looking for. Be creative but try to keep it head or face shot and 5 seconds MAX. Email submission to ClaypoolDeanerFish@lesclaypool.com

EDDIE__DINGLE
Mar 18, 2013
In the same vein as the Cesar demos, Deaner dropped Craters of the Sac in 99 as a free mp3 album. Didn't see it mentioned here if your missing it d/l http://www.mediafire.com/?y3ycd5fncrq more info at http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craters_of_the_Sac

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
The songs Big Fat gently caress, How High Can You Fly and Monique the Freak showed up in a much better form on Shinola. Craters is still pretty cool though.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Paper Boy by Moistboyz also officially released as a single now. Does anyone have the link to the other new Moistboyz song which showed video of the guys in the studio? Can't seem to find it on youtube and can't remember it's name.

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
Am I the only person who gets emotional listening to Buenas Tardas Amigo? The way he says mama is just heartbreaking.

EDDIE__DINGLE
Mar 18, 2013
Sad but this is what passes for ween news these days. Onion AV article on the reasons Deaner hates 4Non blondes. http://www.avclub.com/articles/mickey-dean-ween-melchiondo-on-why-he-hates-4-non,98674

Edit ... I take that back this is cool. Gener will be performing the music of Rocky Horror Picture Show this week.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/944350_559443894106141_1147605518_n.jpg

EDDIE__DINGLE fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 9, 2013

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

asap-salafi posted:

Am I the only person who gets emotional listening to Buenas Tardas Amigo? The way he says mama is just heartbreaking.
That was one of my first favorites by Ween. Then again, I'm a sucker for songs that tell a story, so maybe I'm not the best person to go to for an opinion on that.

EDDIE__DINGLE posted:

Sad but this is what passes for ween news these days. Onion AV article on the reasons Deaner hates 4Non blondes. http://www.avclub.com/articles/mickey-dean-ween-melchiondo-on-why-he-hates-4-non,98674
I just read this article independently of this thread and it was hilarious. God, he hates this song.

Edit: Deaner likes Toadies' "Possum Kingdom" too. Props.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 11, 2013

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

EDDIE__DINGLE posted:

Sad but this is what passes for ween news these days. Onion AV article on the reasons Deaner hates 4Non blondes. http://www.avclub.com/articles/mickey-dean-ween-melchiondo-on-why-he-hates-4-non,98674

Edit ... I take that back this is cool. Gener will be performing the music of Rocky Horror Picture Show this week.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/944350_559443894106141_1147605518_n.jpg

yeah, when Ween broke up all I wanted was for them to split ways and cover music from a crappy 70s flick.

I'd prefer caddy commentary on crappy music

EDDIE__DINGLE
Mar 18, 2013
Gener would make a good Riff Raff

EDDIE__DINGLE
Mar 18, 2013
Apparently Gener played Frank, here is is doing Sweet Transvestite https://soundcloud.com/420-funk-mob/paul-greens-rock-academy-sweet

http://i.imgur.com/RJ5ufYIh.jpg

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Just FYI - Spotify just added Live at the Cat's Cradle. They added Stubbs not long ago, too.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Dean Ween on Guitar Moves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU9fTmTsssA

Funny how he talks about things he does that I never really knew the reason behind. For example missing big and the reason behind why they did it.

Also kind of mad my guitar teacher never told me to "never cover the dick"

Also, does anyone have him on facebook and can see the link he posted to his blog?

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10201248189228167.1073741824.1274714937&type=1

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 27, 2013

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I love that Dickie Betts jam. Wonder if he's playing that with his current band? Says "by Ween", but..yeah.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Posted to /r/ween:

Origin of 'Dancing in the Show Tonight' - Are My Ears On Straight, by Gayla Peevey, 1953

I guess if you change up a song enough it's okay to remake like that? (edit - learned it's public domain - I guess that has something to do with it)

me your dad fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 14, 2013

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Yeah I think Dean heard his sister listening to it and liked it so they used it. Crazy hearing the original though.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Ween on a public access show back in '97 performing Buckingham Green-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnriPwC2ydM

I didn't see this posted before but I could be very wrong!

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
That's a fantastic performance. I love how Gener just drops his guitar on the ground at the end.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Oh sweet, here's more of the show! This was uploaded like 6 years after the BG clip alone. You can see that the clip above and the second song "She Wanted To Leave" was filmed separately from the interview live portion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoAJFohUSt0

Hey, it's one of the better PA shows I've seen as far as production values are concerned. I like the house band at the end :shobon:

edit: The older production clip is better fidelity than the final broadcast mix.

pwn fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 18, 2013

EDDIE__DINGLE
Mar 18, 2013

pwn posted:

Oh sweet, here's more of the show! This was uploaded like 6 years after the BG clip alone. You can see that the clip above and the second song "She Wanted To Leave" was filmed separately from the interview live portion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoAJFohUSt0

Hey, it's one of the better PA shows I've seen as far as production values are concerned. I like the house band at the end :shobon:

edit: The older production clip is better fidelity than the final broadcast mix.

Great post haven't seen these before gotta love the kiss/baseball furies make up

EDDIE__DINGLE
Mar 18, 2013
btw that DJANKLE youtube channel is Deaners, that is the dj name he uses sometimes at J n P's

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
36 minute version of lmlyp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQnrnjuEjww

Also a two piece set from 92 that I haven't seen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQNHFQtTwlw

Also Push the Litte Daisies live with the poo poo Creek Boys is far superior to the original I feel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwa5d-_SZMY

Also I thought the new moistboyz was suppose to come out sometime soon. Weird that there hasn't been any mention from Deaner about it.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 21, 2013

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

If you have Facebook, or possibly if you don't as it doesn't seem to be restricted, make sure you are watching the "Boognish Rising Documentary" page - https://www.facebook.com/BoognishRisingDocumentary

They've just posted the first three Ween self-released cassettes on Dropbox, and a music video for unreleased track "Big Baboons". All great stuff. The guy who's doing this is getting all this stuff straight from Aaron so he's been given permission to put it up too.

I don't know the status of the documentary he's making, he stopped for a while as Mickey wasn't keen on helping, but it seems like he's back putting stuff together.

Edit: the download of the three tapes is in aiff format so about 1.11GB. Just a warning.

shmee fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 4, 2013

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Man those sound better than I thought that they would. Awesome to have a good copy of "Going to the Beach" and "I Like You"

He has been uploading a lot of great stuff. Too bad his youtube account got shut down as it had some great stuff on it as well.

The recent post was a video from oddville direct from someone who worked on the show. I would love to see some full episodes of that show, it was great.

Also live video of Jelly from Trenton 1987 and Rocky Mountain Way in 92.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Man, they both look so happy right there.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Does anyone have the 92 tour sampler at all? I somehow missed it and can't find it anywhere.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

I love it when musicians relate simple things that made a difference for them.

Anyways, I was kind of surprised to hear a Ween cover on the radio recently; a local Bavarian band called Triska recorded an excellent cover of The Stallion Pt. 3. Unfortunately I can't find any links to Youtube or the like, although I can find it on Spotify, and a preview can be heard here.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

snorch posted:

Anyways, I was kind of surprised to hear a Ween cover on the radio recently; a local Bavarian band called Triska recorded an excellent cover of The Stallion Pt. 3. Unfortunately I can't find any links to Youtube or the like, although I can find it on Spotify, and a preview can be heard here.

What other Ween covers are there? I know that Mary Lou Lord and Elliot Smith covered 'Birthday Boy' together, as did GWAR on one of their singles. Then Ash covered 'What Deaner Was Talking About' on some live album recorded on Australian radio. Oh and Phish cover 'Roses Are Free'. But there must be some great ones out there.

Also Guitar Moves is universally great. Matt Sweeny's enthusiasm is contagious and I end up trying (and failing miserably) to learn sweet guitar techniques while I watch. But I suck. Shame.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
acording to http://www.coversproject.com/artist/ween/ not many sadly.

That facebook page is amazing. I'm really hoping that someday the full shows to what he is posting are released some day. Ween has always been just Dean and Gene for me and the stuff with just them is all I can really watch live. I guess it just really amazes me what two guys and a drum machine can accomplish.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
I can't stop listening to "I like you" from that live gig supporting the Butthole Surfers that they posted. So much better than the old tapes.

Here's a question I've had for awhile though; who does the vocals on the All Request Live version of Where'd The Cheese Go?
The main vocals sound so black that you'd guess maybe Claude. But from vague memory the name Dave was mentioned so maybe Dreiwitz? But then with how well the vocals reacted to the keyboards maybe it's Glenn? I always figured the voice on the phone was Gene and I I'm pretty sure neither is Deaner because when he's talking at the end of the track it just sounds on a different level in the mix to either.
Usually I'm good with picking who is who when it's not so clear cut but never worked this track out.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4