Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Actually, no it doesn't. Because I want to see an Attack on Titan beach episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Actually, no it doesn't. Because I want to see an Attack on Titan beach episode.
Calling it now: that's going to be a DVD/BD extra down the line.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Titans using humans as volleyballs.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Speaking of fan service, it's amazing how restrained this show is in regard to it. There's certainly light-hearted moments, like in the mess hall scenes when the recruits were being trained or the "Christa as Goddess" scene, but in terms of maintaining a consistent atmosphere it's hard to top Titan.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Spectral Werewolf posted:

If this is considered a filler episode, I'd watch an entire season of filler. Beats a summer vacation beach party any day.
That is the best episode of Avatar though for real

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Captain Invictus posted:

If they let Isayama come up with the concept he'd make it all about Titans in swimsuits at the beach.

Mmm-mm! Nothing is better than enjoying fried noodles and humans while watching the summer fireworks!

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Didn't he make a high school spinoff too?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sylphid posted:

Speaking of fan service, it's amazing how restrained this show is in regard to it. There's certainly light-hearted moments, like in the mess hall scenes when the recruits were being trained or the "Christa as Goddess" scene, but in terms of maintaining a consistent atmosphere it's hard to top Titan.

The manga author hates fanservice, when asked to draw Mikasa in a bikini for a front cover shot, he did this instead.

Maybe his influence passed over to the anime crew, or he just never provided any avenues for them to shoehorn any in. Either way, yay!

edit: wait, I thought someone posted that cover in the manga thread recently, but it looks like someone posted it in this thread a few pages ago. Oh well, I'll never not be entertained by it. :allears:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

If they let Isayama come up with the concept he'd make it all about Titans in swimsuits at the beach.

Mmm-mm! Nothing is better than enjoying fried noodles and humans while watching the summer fireworks!

If Pixis doesn't have a heart attack upon seeing scantily clad titan beauties they did it wrong. :colbert:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

I'M GONNA GITCHA

I'm hoping some of the lower-quality moments animation-wise will be spruced up for the Blu-Ray released, they'll probably sell like hotcakes for that reason alone.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Still the most intense scene on the show.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Even the staff at Comiket this year is getting in on the whole Titan thing.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

The manga author hates fanservice, when asked to draw Mikasa in a bikini for a front cover shot, he did this instead.

Maybe his influence passed over to the anime crew, or he just never provided any avenues for them to shoehorn any in. Either way, yay!

edit: wait, I thought someone posted that cover in the manga thread recently, but it looks like someone posted it in this thread a few pages ago. Oh well, I'll never not be entertained by it. :allears:

The funny thing here is that the manga that it's paired with on the cover, Sankarea, is almost the definition of soppy fanservice manga garbage.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh that's what No Pants Girl is from, it had an anime fairly recently didn't it? It looked bad.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I can't wait to see how many people come to my house on halloween dressed as someone from Recon Squad or the other lamer one.

If they can salute correctly I'll give them more candy.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

a kitten posted:

Oh that's what No Pants Girl is from, it had an anime fairly recently didn't it? It looked bad.

It's one of those bad-yet-inexplicably-popular manga that get anime while Yankee Kun & Megane Chan and Lucifer & Biscuit Hammer don't. :(

I mean look at her, that's supposed to sell to me? She looks like a stretched-out purple noodle!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
But she's got a ~mysterious scar~ and is holding a flower in her lips and is stretching suggestively with no pants on, how could they NOT make an anime about that!

And I bet a Biscuit Hammerime would get all Zatch Bell'd and not actually finish anyways. Zatch Bell's anime finished the Giant Demon arc and then, iirc, cut to literally the final battle and ended on a cross counter explosion, which is weeeeak. Also, the manga got dropped in the US, which is a double bummer.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
So...her entire character is that she is purple with a c-section scar, no pants, and a sun hat?

Part of me assumes you can't possibly make a series about that but the other part of me knows what kind of weird stupid poo poo gets made into animes.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
She looks like that because she's a zombie. :zombie:

I get the impression it's like Isn't It A Zombie? except a boring harem show instead of a comedy.

rvm
May 6, 2013
If they let the author supervise the beach episode, everyone will be ripped, including Armin and Christa. And there will be a lot of abs jokes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
And MMA fights, because the author is a gigantic MMA fan. Like, their blog is apparently mostly gushing about MMA.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I think it's more likely that an author-approved beach episode would be surveying the aftermath of a titan attack, with blood and guts everywhere, everyone in full gear with facemasks and no fun being had whatsoever.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

And MMA fights, because the author is a gigantic MMA fan. Like, their blog is apparently mostly gushing about MMA.

Speaking of, did anyone recognise any of the moves the female Titan pulled in this episode? The author likes to inject MMA elements into his fights.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darth Walrus posted:

Speaking of, did anyone recognise any of the moves the female Titan pulled in this episode? The author likes to inject MMA elements into his fights.

Does the "spinning a dude by a string tied around his waist" move come from MMA too? Because if so, I'm going to head off and watch the nearest MMA match I can find right now.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Eren Titan's fighting stance in his first appearance is right out of MMA.

If one wants to see more cool MMA in a manga that doesn't have creepy fanservice, might I recommend Teppu.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Teppu is kinda creepy because everyone in that manga is insane. Like insane in a scary, violent way. It's pretty good and the fights impactful, though, and the training scenes gives me flashbacks to the time I was learning kickboxing.

EDIT: And it's obvious the author loving LOVES MMA. If you're into that thing you really should check it out.

Case in point:

Our heroine, folks.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Aug 12, 2013

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Thumbtacks posted:

Didn't he make a high school spinoff too?

I don't know if Isayama drew it, but yes, there is a high school spin-off.

Znorelag
Oct 25, 2009
Someone should do a titan leekspin video.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Znorelag posted:

Someone should do a titan leekspin video.

Already been done, seven weeks ago (20 June 2013) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7BUQcj06BI

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

JosephWongKS posted:

Already been done, seven weeks ago (20 June 2013) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7BUQcj06BI

I believe he was referring to femme-titan spinning that one guy around by his grappling hooks as the subject for the animation.

Znorelag
Oct 25, 2009
:cripes:

This would probably work with that song though:

Shamelessly stolen from two pages back.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Znorelag posted:

:cripes: This would probably work with that song though:
Combine it with the slow motion close-up of the guy every now and then.

Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

Your one and only, scorching laser light

I have no idea why this makes me laugh so hard but it does.

While we're posting crossovers:

No Matter How I Look at It, It’s You Guys' Fault I’m Killing All The Titans and Levi!

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Man, this show owns. The theme songs own. Everything owns.

With the cliffhanger this last one (Ep 18 assuming I'm up to date), I wonder if the writers plan to bring the recent real-life studies of using plants as sound amplifiers. Obviously the carts have something in them, and having a giant resonance cascade from a forest full of living speakers would be a pretty effective way to at least shock a titan's system long enough to tie it down. It would come down to whether they have the technology in the show's era to do it.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 12, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Resonance Cascade isn't a real thing. It's from Half-Life.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

JosephWongKS posted:

On a related note, I love that even the hardened veteran troopers of Squad Levi, all of whom have multiple solo and team kills to their names, were freaking out and screaming at Levi to allow them to use their 3D gear. Really goes to show how frightening the Female Titan is.
The faltering confidence the squad showed in Levi was also awesome. The way that this show builds tension by setting up superhuman characters and brings them back down to size is brilliant.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

snucks posted:

The faltering confidence the squad showed in Levi was also awesome. The way that this show builds tension by setting up superhuman characters and brings them back down to size is brilliant.

I love how Eren's like "I've got to figure it out for myself!" and then he looks over at the other squad members and they're all crapping their pants. I love the humor in this show in general.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Erin Jaeger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

:swoon:

I'm in love.

• Locked thread