Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

DrSunshine posted:

No, yeah, under no circumstances was I arguing that this is in any way not a horrible, awful, and racist thing to do. I was just saying that if you wanted all people who looked like "X" at the start of the game to have trait "Y", it would be reasonably feasible to have it search by culture. Of course, later there might be problems. The game doesn't actually know what "appearance" is, so far as I can tell. Otherwise, there'd totally be events that'd give "the fat" to characters who actually looked fat.
Well, it "knows" in that the information is there; if you turn on charinfo 1, hovering over a character's portrait will tell you their specific ethnicity. I just don't think it's accessible to event/decision code.

RagnarokAngel posted:

The whole culture system in general is really weird and questionable but serves its purpose. I don't think he was advocating actually doing this anyway.
Eh, I don't have any particular problems with the culture system myself, especially now that clothing choices are culture-based rather than ethnicity-based.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

DrSunshine posted:

Otherwise, there'd totally be events that'd give "the fat" to characters who actually looked fat.

That was a recent thread too.

The German thing has got to be a troll.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
There was a small graphical mod that made more portrait features tie directly to traits. If you gained Gluttonous, you got the extra chin. Drunkard, you got a ruddy nose and cheeks, Hare Lip, a twisted mouth. It looked neat, no idea where it is now.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

God I love playing as Zoroastrians.

I think there's something wrong with me. :ohdear:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I'm having some serious :psyduck:-level infighting going on in my realm. I'm currently the king of Ireland and I gave the duchy of Ulster to a relative of mine. He almost immediately gave it up to another count in the duchy for what appears to have been no reason whatsoever, and then just a year later he apparently had a change of heart and went to war to take it back. Problem is, neither army could overpower the other, and now both armies are sitting in their respective counties with about 200 men each. Neither side will disband their levies because (I presume) if they do, the other count will swoop in and start a siege, which would never complete but would prevent the occupied count from raising his levies again. So they're just stuck there staring at each other.

This has been going for like a decade now. They're my vassals, is there anyway I can tell them to cut this poo poo out and just make a white peace? I know warscore changes with time but it's still at 12%.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
So with EU4 coming out and the promise of the (undoubtedly busted as hell) save game importer I decided to finally finish one of my games, but I ran into a problem.

I've run out of people to conquer and it's only 1064. :suicide: I wonder if it will just let me import from this year into EU4, or if I'm going to have to let this run on super fast speed for the next 300 years.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Lilli posted:

So with EU4 coming out and the promise of the (undoubtedly busted as hell) save game importer I decided to finally finish one of my games, but I ran into a problem.

I've run out of people to conquer and it's only 1064. :suicide: I wonder if it will just let me import from this year into EU4, or if I'm going to have to let this run on super fast speed for the next 300 years.

You can import from anywhen; it will just change the date to 1444.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I'm having some serious :psyduck:-level infighting going on in my realm. I'm currently the king of Ireland and I gave the duchy of Ulster to a relative of mine. He almost immediately gave it up to another count in the duchy for what appears to have been no reason whatsoever, and then just a year later he apparently had a change of heart and went to war to take it back. Problem is, neither army could overpower the other, and now both armies are sitting in their respective counties with about 200 men each. Neither side will disband their levies because (I presume) if they do, the other count will swoop in and start a siege, which would never complete but would prevent the occupied count from raising his levies again. So they're just stuck there staring at each other.

This has been going for like a decade now. They're my vassals, is there anyway I can tell them to cut this poo poo out and just make a white peace? I know warscore changes with time but it's still at 12%.

Since it seems like its going nowhere you could just save and reload as one of the characters and try asking for a white peace. I think the only thing you can do in game is to raise crown laws to high.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Unreal_One posted:

You can import from anywhen; it will just change the date to 1444.

Awesome, this is excellent news, thanks!

Edit: vvvvv That's actually two vassals fighting each other. I'm a merchant republic so I can't raise my crown law. Also, gently caress no :v:

Lilli fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 12, 2013

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Lilli posted:

You clearly have an independent province in Russia there. :colbert:

Now culture and religion convert everyone and de jure drift everything into the empire.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm playing as Jorvik (now England), and roleplaying my characters. I decide "Hey, I'm gonna take several decades off of Blobbing, because my character is Content, kind, generous... basically not the type to seek more power."

Then some of the lords of Sweden declared a war to press my weak claim, and now I'm king of England, Sweden, and Norway.

I married my genius heir granddaughter matrilineally to one of my (county bishop level title) vassals, who is also a genius. I swear I'm not powergaming, but the Hungarian Prince I -wanted- to marry her to married someone else, and I decided the second best idea was picking a husband that rounds out her one weak trait. He just happened to be a genius, too.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Lilli posted:

Awesome, this is excellent news, thanks!

Edit: vvvvv That's actually two vassals fighting each other. I'm a merchant republic so I can't raise my crown law. Also, gently caress no :v:

At this point, what you do is turn on the "direct vassals" button, and play as one of your many, many, many vassals. By now it's pretty much equivalent to playing as one of the independent states back at the game's start, but without the option of forming an empire.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I'm really new at this game so I have a dumb question. I'm playing as the Ua Brian's like most new people and everything is going swell. Just for the hell of it I marriage off my daughter to the king of Castille in a regular marriage. She wasn't heir to anything so why not. Anyway the King of Castille dies a couple years after and now suddenly my daughter is regent for my granddaughter. Can I benefit from this in any way?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ofaloaf posted:

TIMURIDS :argh:

How is that even remotely defensible? How do you end up with a border that snakes around like this? And I guess your "TIMURIDS :argh:" refers to the non-pretty borders.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

This is normal and extremely common in the game. Whenever I want to change any laws and can't because of some of my vassals fighting I always end these kinds of wars using the console. The AI should not declare wars that it obviously has no way of winning. If they have 0 cash for mercenaries and an army of 200 they just have no chance of doing anything, yet they declare wars constantly. Whenever I see people complain about vassals fighting constantly I want to tell them this but somehow most people just think it is part of the game and refuse to "cheat" to fix it even though it is not something that should happen had the AI actually known what it is doing.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

A little late to the pagan game, but my Chieftain of Greater Poland is looting it up, and is there any way to get money out of non-adjacent, non-coastal provinces?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

StashAugustine posted:

A little late to the pagan game, but my Chieftain of Greater Poland is looting it up, and is there any way to get money out of non-adjacent, non-coastal provinces?

You get a small amount of cash when successfully sieging a holding in a war. Probably not what you were looking for but that is the only way I think.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
I think when you loot a non-coastal, non-border province it says that any money looted gets shared between the nobles who lead the armies -- I wonder if you left two of the flanks without leaders and led the army yourself if it'd still give you it all? Time to go testing, I guess... :)

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

"They came from the East and swiftly conquered all in their path. Which was rather narrow, historians today agree."

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

"They came from the East and swiftly conquered all in their path. Which was rather narrow, historians today agree."
"Once they reached Hammerfest they set sail for the North pole and were never to be seen again"

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Except when you import that into EU4 and it becomes an unbroken line of timurids stretching across the entire globe.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
Holy poo poo, this is the best Paradox game.

Playing through just two generations of the rulers of the Petty Kingdom of Munster, and I've basically written the plot of a series of historical fiction novels (with a downer ending).

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Holy poo poo, this is the best Paradox game.

Playing through just two generations of the rulers of the Petty Kingdom of Munster, and I've basically written the plot of a series of historical fiction novels (with a downer ending).

It really is. I played a lot of EU2, and a little EU3 and HOI2, and they are just a pale shadow of this game. The focus on characters rather than nations creates the most interesting/hilarious narratives.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Torrannor posted:

How is that even remotely defensible? How do you end up with a border that snakes around like this? And I guess your "TIMURIDS :argh:" refers to the non-pretty borders.

Presumably, half of their horses were dragging construction materials behind them in carts, and they simply built a wall wherever they went.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

DrSunshine posted:

Presumably, half of their horses were dragging construction materials behind them in carts, and they simply built a wall wherever they went.

I've now got the funniest image in my head of a horde of guys walling off a road on both sides and yelling "This is my land!" at the confused-looking locals.

--

My Viking Empire of Brittannia game is working out well, I've just successfully crippled the Umayyads enough that they won't be a real concern for me for the rest of the game, despite their previous success of controlling all of de jure Hispania as well as Aquitaine. I successfully took Aquitaine from them, and while that was happening a Norse adventurer conquered one of their duchies, and then ended up taking most of the western coast of Hispania from them. He then accepted a diplo-vassalise request, giving me an excellent staging ground for my retinue to trample forming Umayyad armies.

The Karlings lost control of West Francia very early in the game and I did my level best to keep them distracted from getting it back, and as such France is reduced to a rump state bordered by myself on the north, west and south sides and Lotharingia in the east. I'm deliberately not conquering them out of laziness at this point. I've also taken most of the coastal lands from East Francia, as well as a successful holy war for Brunswick to complete my holy site collection.

Early in the game, my nephew the King of Skotland got it into his head that Norway was a sweet place to own for holidays and such, and so he took control of it without much prompting while I was busy subjugating Sweden and then holy warring Denmark once I had reformed the faith as the silly Danish king thought Old Norse was really swell. I created the kingdoms of Norway and Sweden and gave Norway to the king of Skotland, as I saw no easier way than gavelkind to split his two kingdoms apart. Sweden was given to a different nephew to rule, and between Sweden and Norway(after the king of Skotland's death) I also control most of Finland and am butting up against Gardariki.

It's not even the turn of the millenium and I'm already in a position of unassailable power. Only all the Muslim rulers combined in the world can match the number of levies I can call up. It may be time to prettify my borders and be otherwise complacent for a few generations, since this is a game I want to convert to EU4, and don't just want to be an all-encompassing empire, merely a ridiculously powerful one.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

Timur Khan is an artist. He turned the map into a 'no smoking' sign.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

I didn't even know the Timurids were in the game, I usually sputter out and get bored in the 1200's.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I just noticed that the Duke of Moray in Scottish Brittania is an Ummayyad. A Celtic, Scottish, Catholic Ummayyad. To my knowledge I've never had any dealings with the Ummayads at all, despite them owning all of Mali and most of North Africa and Iberia. How did this happen? :iiam:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

I just noticed that the Duke of Moray in Scottish Brittania is an Ummayyad. A Celtic, Scottish, Catholic Ummayyad. To my knowledge I've never had any dealings with the Ummayads at all, despite them owning all of Mali and most of North Africa and Iberia. How did this happen? :iiam:

The game is just really good at coming up with very strange characters with very convoluted histories:

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

I can't decide if I should drop €40 for EU4. I've never played an EU game before, nor have I actually played an Paradox games except for CK2. I've played a ton of CK2 though, and I love it. The demo for EU4 looks really nice and the gameplay seems interesting, but I am a little afraid that the character stories / roleplay elements of CK2 are what makes it so special, and that I wouldn't find EU4 as interesting in the long run. It's too bad the CK2 --> EU4 converter is a pre order bonus, though doubtless it'll be DLC later, 'cus it's pressuring me to drop the preorder money. Otherwise I guess I'd have no problem waiting for it to go on sale during Christmas or summer.

Anyone have any wise words about EU4?

Orv
May 4, 2011

csidle posted:

I can't decide if I should drop €40 for EU4. I've never played an EU game before, nor have I actually played an Paradox games except for CK2. I've played a ton of CK2 though, and I love it. The demo for EU4 looks really nice and the gameplay seems interesting, but I am a little afraid that the character stories / roleplay elements of CK2 are what makes it so special, and that I wouldn't find EU4 as interesting in the long run. It's too bad the CK2 --> EU4 converter is a pre order bonus, though doubtless it'll be DLC later, 'cus it's pressuring me to drop the preorder money. Otherwise I guess I'd have no problem waiting for it to go on sale during Christmas or summer.

Anyone have any wise words about EU4?

If not having deep character interaction is your deal breaker, don't do it. If you can stomach the loss of deep characterization you're going to find a lot deeper empire management and diplomacy in both peace and warfare. Deeper diplomacy might seem odd without the CK stuff but diplomacy into CK boils down to Kill, Marry, Take poo poo From or Go To War With. EU4 is looking like the deepest Paradox has gotten in terms of diplo so far, and to boot the warfare in EU4 is usually on a much greater scale.

Also colonization and the rest of the world are accessible, so.

My question: Is there any way to turn off charinfo once it's on?

Orv fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 12, 2013

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Orv posted:

My question: Is there any way to turn off charinfo once it's on?
I believe you have to quit the game to turn it off. Thanks for the EU advice. Thinking about holding out a bit.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah from the time I spent on the EU4 demo, I actually think I like the mechanics of EU4 a lot better than CK2, and definitely like the GUI and Map better. But it's still really hard for me to make the jump to EU4 because it feels much more serious and down to business. Usually even losing in CK2 is pretty fun because it's so silly and full of personality.

Definitely going to pick up EU4 at some point but given how much gameplay I could still get out of CK2, I don't feel any rush.

I wish they'd backport some of the new Map features from EU4 though. I love the way the movement indicators work in it especially, as well as the +gold popups and unit damage numbers.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten
My favorite story from a game I played was as a Norman Emperor of Britain who went mad, matrilineally marrying his beautiful, quick daughter to a Norman courtier. As a way of apologize for burdening this poor soul with his daughter, he made that courtier King of Wales. I still wonder if that King of Wales ever forgave his Emperor.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah from the time I spent on the EU4 demo, I actually think I like the mechanics of EU4 a lot better than CK2, and definitely like the GUI and Map better. But it's still really hard for me to make the jump to EU4 because it feels much more serious and down to business. Usually even losing in CK2 is pretty fun because it's so silly and full of personality.

Definitely going to pick up EU4 at some point but given how much gameplay I could still get out of CK2, I don't feel any rush.

I wish they'd backport some of the new Map features from EU4 though. I love the way the movement indicators work in it especially, as well as the +gold popups and unit damage numbers.

I haven't actually tried EU4 yet, but, from the sounds of it, these are all things they had in EU3 (except maybe the movement indicators). I figured they hadn't included them for aesthetic reasons.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I really think Paradox should capitalise on the newfound attention from more mainstream press/players by going outside their normal franchises. I'm primarily a strategy player, so they are better fit for my interests than CK and I wouldn't want to lose that, but CK2 showed that Paradox can use their historical simulation background to create something really new and exciting. That would make me much more, well, excited than Victoria 3 or HoI4 - although I've spent way too much time on both series.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

ThomasPaine posted:

I really, really would like them to put a stop to weird out of culture/kingdom marriages for 99% of the rulers of the game.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Patch 1.11 notes are out, and Norse got nerfed quite a bit:

GAMEPLAY
- Added auto-invite function to plots
- Added auto stop plot functionality under intrigue tab.
- Added Siege leader trait
- Added so bastard dynasties are generated when the first bastard is born.
- Fixed so holy orders can use their special units in a defensive war where they are the primary defender.
- Fixed CTD occured when starting between 1184-1185
- Fixed Duke Dafydd II of Gwynedd invalid state in history files
- Slowed down fleet movement
- Increased movement time for armies onto or off fleets

INTERFACE
- Added Favorite IP table to multiplayer menu
- Added an approve button for laws so you can change your mind later if you initially ignored the law.
- Fixed so you can see what characters has had a plot proposal sent to them.
- Now support to select ship-exclusive using ALT key.

MODDING:
- It's now possible to read additional data into existing landed titles in mods
- It's now possible to read additional data into existing religions in mods
- Added 'intermarry' parameter to religions, so you can specify if members tend to marry those of specific other religions
- Exported EXTRA_NR_OF_CHILDREN_FOR_PLAYERS to defines
- Fixed custom tooltip trigger and effect always returning true
- Exported ARMY_LOAD_UNLOAD_MOVE_COST to defines

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Quick question since I'm on track to unite the Italians: as a Republic, I can't usurp Kingdoms. However, if I take all de jure territory under the Kingdom of Italy, will the current holder lose it/I get a CB to war for it?

^^^: Oh gently caress, my mods aren't up to date; I got to stop it from updating after I close the game somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

toasterwarrior posted:

Quick question since I'm on track to unite the Italians: as a Republic, I can't usurp Kingdoms. However, if I take all de jure territory under the Kingdom of Italy, will the current holder lose it/I get a CB to war for it?

^^^: Oh gently caress, my mods aren't up to date; I got to stop it from updating after I close the game somehow.

As a republic you can create a kingdom if there is no official holder to the title. Furthermore, if you get the pope to grant you an invasion on a kingdom you will gain the title after a successful invasion.

• Locked thread