Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Giving a big +1 to the Bluff Pants recommendation. I bought one pair and have since purchased 2 more pairs after trying them out for a few days. The waist is a little smaller than my typical jeans but they fit well and are definitely classy. Loose enough to move around fine but not baggy, a little more of a slim fit if anything (but not tight in the thighs like skinny jeans). My only complaint is that they are almost too formal looking. Even the light khaki color looks a a little out of place with a t-shirt. You kind of need something with a collar to make it looks cohesive. But they are light weight and water seems to bead off of them helping prevent stains. If you're in the market for expensive travel pants and want to look good, might want to give these guys a whirl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I meant to ask before, do those come with a zip down the side? I can deal with a top loader but after a while it just gets to be a pain in the rear end.

edit: ^^ Are they lightweight/pack small? I've been meaning to class it up when I'm travelling.

The only problem is when you have nice clothes you want to go someplace nice and that's expensive. I usually find the people I want to meet in shittier places.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 15, 2013

Ockhams Crowbar
May 7, 2007
Always the simplest solution.

Brinner posted:

$200 would be as much as I would like to spend, less if possible. I'll check this out, thanks. Is it me or are those Osprey packs over the carry-on limit? The 55 litre is 24 x 13x 17 inches/61 x 33 x 43 cm.

Might pick up a pair of these for a SE Asia trip. http://www.paddypallin.com.au/salomon-xa-pro-3d-ultra-2-gore-tex-shoe-mens.html. Or these... http://www.paddypallin.com.au/the-north-face-hedgehog-guide-gore-tex-shoe-mens.html

OH THE DECISIONS

Ah yeah, the 65 is definitely not a carry on size, and I doubt the 55s would be either. I know there's a Paddy in Launceston, might be worth having a look, especially to try on footwear!

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Saint Fu posted:

Giving a big +1 to the Bluff Pants recommendation. I bought one pair and have since purchased 2 more pairs after trying them out for a few days. The waist is a little smaller than my typical jeans but they fit well and are definitely classy. Loose enough to move around fine but not baggy, a little more of a slim fit if anything (but not tight in the thighs like skinny jeans). My only complaint is that they are almost too formal looking. Even the light khaki color looks a a little out of place with a t-shirt. You kind of need something with a collar to make it looks cohesive. But they are light weight and water seems to bead off of them helping prevent stains. If you're in the market for expensive travel pants and want to look good, might want to give these guys a whirl.

+2. I purchased three pairs as well. They came out of the packaging wrinkle-free and have since laundered each pair a few times and still no wrinkles. Truth in advertising, huzzah! I plan on wearing them to work in Italy, which means I will be wearing either a collared shirt w/blazer or a sweater with them.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I got a pair of Nike golf pants that look a lot like those Bluff ones and I basically only wear them when I need to "dress up." They were the same price as the Bluffs which are made in the USA so if I want another pair like that I'll try them out.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm spending 6 months in India, followed by 2 in Nepal, and underwear-wise I'm only planning on taking 2 pairs of Exofficio briefs. Best idea, or worst idea?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Theoretically best idea/Practically Worst.

I'd take another pair or two at least, you can't always wash a pair every day. That idea works fine in theory but there's beer to be drunk and people to meet and you're not on holiday to beat your undies against a rock in the river every morning.

If you plan on eating street food you're probably going to get sick, have a pair or two of cheap cotton boxers.

I travel with about 6-7 pairs of boxers specifically because they're what you run out of first, and do washing like once a week/fortnight. This includes 3 pairs of exofficio and a few regular cotton boxers.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 19, 2013

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Alan_Shore posted:

I'm spending 6 months in India, followed by 2 in Nepal, and underwear-wise I'm only planning on taking 2 pairs of Exofficio briefs. Best idea, or worst idea?

If you're doing your own wash bring three (so if you really need to skip a day you can). In the area though usually you just take your clothes to a laundry guy and pay per kilo to have them washed for you, ready the next day. In that case bring 4 or 5 pairs.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
If you do wash them yourself and you use any kind of detergent, make sure you rinse out the elastic band completely otherwise the detergent will kill the elastic. I have a few pairs with hilariously loose waists now because I was lazy with the rinse.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Cool, thanks everyone! OK I'll take a couple of extra pairs just in case, and I'll remember to rinse those bad boys out like a boss! Trying to pack as light and as efficiently as possible. Next step is a light (650g) and cheap sleeping bag, and those Eagle Creek duffel dividers looks good.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

Brinner posted:

Hey Aussie travelers,

I'm having some trouble finding a Travel Pack locally that isn't $10000000 or cheap crap. Anyone seen anything good around? Or am I stuck with ordering overseas? Kathmandu seems to have some but everything I have bought from them has been shite.
Mountain Designs are generally decent quality and tend to have more Aussie backpacker vs hiking features (drawstring top lockable etc). I had one years ago that got stolen but I still use the day pack that came with it because it's really the best little backpack I've ever owned.

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
My fiancee and I are going backpacking for our honeymoon in Southeast Asia (sort of, we will be staying in nice boutique hotels instead of hostels), and we have a dinner date at http://www.cuisinewatdamnak.com/ , a fancy multi-course Cambodian Fusion restaurant in Siem Reap. While she can just toss a dress in her backpack, what should I bring to 1) look reasonably well dressed 2) not sweat to death in Cambodia in October and 3) not take up a ton of room in my Patagonia MLC? I'm particularly concerned about dress shoes, since they take up a ton of space.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
Just get boots and outdoor clothes that can pass for business-casual (like the stuff posted earlier in the thread) and you'll be fine. That's already stricter than virtually anyone gets about clothing in the region, where tourists are involved. Definitely don't waste space on dress shoes.

The harshest dress code I've ever heard of in Siem Reap was "no singlets and you have to wear shoes." e: and flip-flops counted.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I've never had a problem with a black button up shirt, decent jeans or pants that don't look like northface crap and shoes that are mostly black.

hardcore option: buy a cheap outfit on the streets, including shoes, and dumpit back on the street when you're done. It's practically charity.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Is this a good time to plug the Nau Riding Jacket again? Still still too heavy for Cambodia but the most packable thing I've seen that resembles a decent blazer. They have a lighter one but I tried it on and it looks weird on me.

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010

Brinner posted:

Hey Aussie travelers,

I'm having some trouble finding a Travel Pack locally that isn't $10000000 or cheap crap. Anyone seen anything good around? Or am I stuck with ordering overseas? Kathmandu seems to have some but everything I have bought from them has been shite.

I am in the same position. Looking around the Osprey Porter 46 from Paddy Pallin seems to get the thumbs up. Caribee seem to make a Skymaster 40 Carry On which looks like it would also fit the bill. Does anyone foresee any problems if I were to purchase the Caribee? I'll be in North America for ~two months.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What is the bag made out of? It looks like a cheaper alternative to the Tom Bihn bags but I can't tell what the material is or the internal structure of the bag itself.

Also 65 shipping of Tom Bihn bags to Australia is high, but the Aeronaut bag has a 45l internal capacity, which is a pretty big size for a carryon.

Are you worried about a laptop?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

go_banana posted:

I am in the same position. Looking around the Osprey Porter 46 from Paddy Pallin seems to get the thumbs up. Caribee seem to make a Skymaster 40 Carry On which looks like it would also fit the bill. Does anyone foresee any problems if I were to purchase the Caribee? I'll be in North America for ~two months.

I literally just bought one of the Caribee Sky Masters (from here) for my trip to the US in 2 weeks. It sits kinda high on the back, but the straps can be zipped into the back compartment. It feels about as sturdy as a well made regular backpack (not as sturdy as my Kathmandu hiking pack), I can't see a tag saying what it's made of or anything. If you want any high res pictures of the interior or anything else, let me know.

If you aren't leaving for a while I could even give you a report on how it fared for me in mid September.

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010

david puddy posted:

I literally just bought one of the Caribee Sky Masters (from here) for my trip to the US in 2 weeks. It sits kinda high on the back, but the straps can be zipped into the back compartment. It feels about as sturdy as a well made regular backpack (not as sturdy as my Kathmandu hiking pack), I can't see a tag saying what it's made of or anything. If you want any high res pictures of the interior or anything else, let me know.

If you aren't leaving for a while I could even give you a report on how it fared for me in mid September.

I read about it sits high on the back - is it uncomfortable? That'd be great, I won't be purchasing for a while yet. Could you take a few photos of the general inside and outside layout?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I wouldn't mind a few photos either. Can the backpack straps be folded away? as well as the shoulder strap?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

go_banana posted:

I read about it sits high on the back - is it uncomfortable? That'd be great, I won't be purchasing for a while yet. Could you take a few photos of the general inside and outside layout?

I actually find it pretty comfortable, it just looks a bit weird.

Back
Top pocket
Interior
Main interior section
Second interior section

e:

Outrail posted:

I wouldn't mind a few photos either. Can the backpack straps be folded away? as well as the shoulder strap?

Yes on the back straps (see photo 1), the shoulder strap just unclips completely

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Yeah right, and with some dirt and dust it'll scruff up and look cheap. Which is what I usually want. Am I correct in thinking you could stuff a small laptop down the back pocket where the straps go?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Outrail posted:

Yeah right, and with some dirt and dust it'll scruff up and look cheap. Which is what I usually want. Am I correct in thinking you could stuff a small laptop down the back pocket where the straps go?

Yep. That's a 13" widescreen laptop, could probably even fit a big laptop in there. It's... surprisingly comfortable enough with it in there

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Sweet cheers Dave, if i get this job I'm getting a new pack.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Couple of questions. I know the OP recommends against having a day bag, but I want one, of the airline personal-item size. Basically I'm looking for something to carry a thermos or water bottle, camera (midsized, not a DSLR), and maybe some snacks or whatever. I'd also put an e-reader in it, but only for the plane ride, I'm not going to carry that around at my destination. I'd like something that can be worn hands-free. I looked at the Patagonia Atom, which was mostly nice, but I don't like the fact that the strap is designed specifically to wear it as a backpack, since I'll possibly be wearing an actual backpack. I'm thinking something with a satchel design would be better, opinions?

Second, any recommendations on a shoe with a barefoot or minimalist sole and a professional-looking upper? I really don't like wearing classic soles, but Trail Gloves are probably not the best shoe for all-purpose overseas use.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
If you can find a pack with a detachable head/brain/the top bit they make excelent day packs. I do that with the 8L head of my pack. Worked for one year of travel, maybe 10L would have been better, but it's great when you can clip it back to the top of the pack and you don't look like some moron with 2-3 bags flopping around.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Check out the Timbuk2 Catapult for a small bag.

schweg
Nov 15, 2004
Yes.

Kylaer posted:

Second, any recommendations on a shoe with a barefoot or minimalist sole and a professional-looking upper? I really don't like wearing classic soles, but Trail Gloves are probably not the best shoe for all-purpose overseas use.

Merrell used to make a shoe called the Tough Glove which was a reasonably decent looking leather shoe with the same sole as the Trail Glove, but it seems to be discontinued. Super comfortable if you're into barefoot shoes. I've had mine for almost two years and have practically stopped wearing any other shoes because I love them so much. Great for traveling because they're so versatile: they look ok with slacks for a nice night out, excellent traction so they work fine for day hikes, they don't take forever to dry out if they get wet, and you can run in them if you need to. The Merrell branding across the side is unfortunate but not as noticeable as you would think from the photos.
http://www.amazon.com/Merrell-Barefoot-Tough-Glove-Brown/dp/B004MAJIU2

It seems to have been replaced by the Tour Glove. I'm not sure why Merrell thought they needed to update the shoe to make it look more like orthopedic walking sneakers.
http://www.amazon.com/Merrell-Mens-Barefoot-Glove-Sneaker/dp/B00BLQ98Q4

It's time for me to replace the Tough Gloves and I haven't decided if I can deal with the styling of the Tour Glove. Maybe there are more alternatives now.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
The Timbuk2 messenger bags look like a possibly good option, thanks, although I'm thinking the classic or Freestyle would be better for my use than the Catapult since I won't be securing it with a bicycle U-lock. Just need to measure and see how big of a water bottle will fit in the smallest ones, since I don't want a large bag.

In the related items list for the Tour Glove, I saw the Reach Glove which looks like an option, I think? I dunno, I have no fashion sense.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
It looks like Rockport makes a bunch of shoes that look decent but have an actual sole:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008DUO8TS/ref=cm_sw_r_an_am_ap_am_us?ie=UTF8

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008DUO8R0/ref=cm_sw_r_an_am_ap_am_us?ie=UTF8 (The black/black one)

Not exactly what I want in a travel a shoe, but not bad.

raton fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 25, 2013

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Vivobarefoot makes a bunch of barefoot style shoes that might work for you. Personally I'm interested in finding a casual looking barefoot shoe that can double as a running shoe. Last time I carried a pair of New Balance Minimus Zero shoes but they were only good for running so a lot of the time they were just sitting in my bag taking up extra weight.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

For those who were looking at the Caribee Skymaster 40L bag, I carried it on to my flight to LA with no trouble (flew with Virgin). I've got like 6 shirts & pants, a microfibre towel, toiletries, a spare pair of shoes and electronics basics in there and it weighed 5.6 kg. It's proven very comfortable to walk around with, too.

cadenza
Dec 25, 2006

integrity
Hello thread! I've sincerely enjoyed reading every single post in here. I've decided in the last couple of months that I'm going to leave and go travel. I'm not expecting to leave until December or January, but am ideally hoping to be gone for a whole twelve months (southeast asia down through australasia across to south america up to central america etc). I can see myself asking the more experienced a whole ton of questions but my main question for the time being is about cameras. I own a Canon 600D and do not know if I should take it with me - I would like to be able to take decent pictures but I don't want to be worry about losing/damaging it or anything. I also feel like perhaps there are certain times and places where it is not practical to carry an SLR but a little compact could fit in a pocket. An argument I've heard about loss/theft is that ultimately the pictures I end up with will be more valuable than the camera, but that sounds a bit sentimental! Would love to hear from people about their experiences of traveling with an SLR.

tl;dr is it practical/worthwhile to take an SLR around the world for a year or should i just take a compact

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Pictures are worth way more than the camera and what else are you going to do with it, let it rot in a box? Sell it for peanuts? Also worth noting is that bringing it and using it should help you become a better photographer whereas leaving it behind may not.

I don't know if it's digital. If it's not digital (you said SLR instead of DSLR) leave it. Set up a cloud based service to back up your pictures when traveling and use it. Losing your camera won't matter to you at all in five years (you'll have a new one then anyway) but losing the pictures will.

With that said I personally can't imagine bringing a DSLR on a trip with me. I don't know how to use them and the gap in image quality and especially night photography capabilities between a DSLR and even a basic point and shoot has collapsed in the last five years to be almost totally trivial. Also while there are certain photos you can't get if you don't have your big gun there will also be photos you miss by not having your camera be as accessible, and to be perfectly frank, these will be the shots you wished you could have gotten. Your new found friend in your new found bed, some local idgit doing something bizarre, a hornbill on your windowsill. I like photography and all that, but I doubt I'll ever own a DSLR or use one for travel valuing what I value now.

cadenza
Dec 25, 2006

integrity
Thanks, excellent reply! I only got the camera this year so am by no means a seasoned photographer, so maybe I am better off just buying a decent compact for the trip. Are there any you can recommend or should I just see what they say on dpreview? I guess I will be taking more landscape shots than portraits, but I want to be able to do decent night photographs too. Is it just a case of getting the best PowerShot I can without breaking the bank?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I love my Canon s100. There's probably a newer version of the same now. Definitely check around online.

raton fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 7, 2013

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

cadenza posted:

Thanks, excellent reply! I only got the camera this year so am by no means a seasoned photographer, so maybe I am better off just buying a decent compact for the trip. Are there any you can recommend or should I just see what they say on dpreview? I guess I will be taking more landscape shots than portraits, but I want to be able to do decent night photographs too. Is it just a case of getting the best PowerShot I can without breaking the bank?

The Dorkroom can answer those questions for you:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=247

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I bought the Canon S110 after recommendations here, as I too am going travelling in October. Gotta say, I love it. Image quality is fantastic, shoots in Raw, you can Wi Fi pictures over to your phone or laptop (only JPGs sadly) making backing up cable free, and changing all the settings with the rings is a doddle. Best of all it's super small and light. Highly recommended. Though the S120 is coming out soon...

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I bought an Olympus SZ31-MR for my current trip and I'm totally stoked with it. It was like $200, has 24x optical zoom and takes nice panoramic shots. I don't have computer here so no sample pictures but I'd recommend it to anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Definitely check out The Dorkroom threads. Apparently the Sony RX100 is the holy grail of point and shoots these days, but the Canon S110 is still a good choice.

Mirrorless/compact systems are a good compromise as well, personally I carried a Panasonic G3 with a pancake lens during my trip and was very happy with it. If I had to buy a new camera today it would probably be the Panasonic GX7.

I would definitely skip the DSLR though, too bulky and heavy. Most of the people I met who had a DSLR had to carry it around in a specific camera bag, and the entire setup was not light weight (especially if they brought extra lenses), and they had to worry about keeping it safe from damage/theft. Not worth it, IMO.

• Locked thread