Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Razorwired posted:

tl;dr - In some cultures Coyote keeps his mythic name while other animals are separated between the mundane and the symbolic. This can be an important distinction. When taking this into account it can absolutely matter that if Renard is a fox or "Fox".

Don't get me wrong, because that explanation was really interesting and I always enjoy reading about language, but I feel like you kind of missed my point. It doesn't matter (for the purposes of this conversation) what the convention is regarding Coyote and the cultures he comes from. If Renard were a mythological figure from the west coast of North America, then sure, that might matter. But he's not; he's from France. As I said, there is no reason to apply standards from some cultures to the naming conventions of figures from entirely unrelated cultures located on another continent. Our analysis of Renard (or anyone else) should be based on what we've seen in the comic and what we know of the stories he is based on, not based on how he would fit into the cultural background of a different character entirely.

MikeJF posted:

I have no idea what this will be about but it looks like it's gonna be good.

I mean all of Gunnerkrigg is good but... yeah.

I am boldly predicting that this chapter will be well-drawn and well-written, and that it will be enjoyable to read.

Unless Boxbot is in it, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Wallflower. Maybe about some shy person, not sure if Annie would qualify for this anymore, so it's either not that or it's about some shy person we either haven't seen or I can't remember at the moment.

Or this will be the DBZ Driving Test Episode of Gunnerkrigg Court, in which case it will be the best thing.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Brightman posted:

not sure if Annie would qualify for this anymore

That's a good read of the cover image. I think Annie still qualifies, though she has made progress in that regard. The last get-together we saw involved her spending the entire time with Jack (Chibisoma trigger warning :v:), and there was that awkward pause when they found out they would be out all night.

Or maybe this is when we get introduced to Tom's reclusive supergenius self-insert character.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Brightman posted:

Or this will be the DBZ Driving Test Episode of Gunnerkrigg Court, in which case it will be the best thing.

Haha I thought the exact same thing.

Renard and Eglamore finally get their driver's license.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Blackheart posted:

Haha I thought the exact same thing.

Renard and Eglamore finally get their driver's license.

That would be pretty awesome.

No driving lessons for Kat and Annie though, they aren't old enough. By quite a large margin, I think.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
British schools don't do drivers ed, and none of the kids are old enough to get their provisional license anyway :colbert:

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

dyzzy posted:

That's a good read of the cover image. I think Annie still qualifies, though she has made progress in that regard. The last get-together we saw involved her spending the entire time with Jack (Chibisoma trigger warning :v:), and there was that awkward pause when they found out they would be out all night.

Or maybe this is when we get introduced to Tom's reclusive supergenius self-insert character.

Yeah good point. She has made a lot of progress though, also the chapter could really be about anything the way this comic usually goes. Best guess is it will be some sort of social gathering event thing, maybe something official this time like a school dance, but that seems sorta ordinary...but subverting that scenario could play out amusingly well.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Brightman posted:

Yeah good point. She has made a lot of progress though, also the chapter could really be about anything the way this comic usually goes. Best guess is it will be some sort of social gathering event thing, maybe something official this time like a school dance, but that seems sorta ordinary...but subverting that scenario could play out amusingly well.
School dance. Renard takes Hetty.

Don't get me wrong, she's still dead. He's done the doll up like a marionette.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I suspect this chapter will be about Annie as medium for the Forest. The imagery matches her role as a Forest agent in the Court.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Fatkraken posted:

British schools don't do drivers ed, and none of the kids are old enough to get their provisional license anyway :colbert:

You can get a provisional license which lets you drive a moped at 16. Give it a couple of years and we'll be watching Annie go all FLCL on a Vespa.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I'm going to take this as literally as I can and consider the chapter about Gillitie/Coyote starting to push against the Court, a shift in power dynamics kind of thing. I don't need any of your fancy symbolizing or metaphorical reads!

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Violen posted:

I'm going to take this as literally as I can and consider the chapter about Gillitie/Coyote starting to push against the Court, a shift in power dynamics kind of thing. I don't need any of your fancy symbolizing or metaphorical reads!

Annie is failing biology class, gets a crash course in botany to make up her grades.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

The entire chapter is just a closeup on the wall, each day the plants grow a little more. On the last day, Basil smashes through the wall yelling "OH YEAH!"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mazerunner posted:

Annie is failing biology class, gets a crash course in botany to make up her grades.

Annie's failing grades is actually a pretty plausible subject for a chapter, considering for how long she's avoided schoolwork. She couldn't even recognise a chickcharney!

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 9, 2013

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Maybe she'll finally take a course that Kat doesn't take. Maybe Kat will take a course with Paz instead of Annie, possibly even changing her schedule last minute to do so.

edit: Sometimes I forget how sentences and words work.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 9, 2013

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

This chapter will be nothing but clever product placement for Roundup pesticides.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Annie's failing grades is actually a pretty plausible subject for a chapter, considering for how long she's avoided schoolwork. She couldn't even recognise a chickcharney!

I have been wanting Annie's cheating to get addressed ever since Renard gave her poo poo for it. She's obviously fairly smart, so the fact she just completely ignores doing her school work would make for an interesting chapter (especially how Kat would react to it - it might possibly cause a division in their relationship that pushes her closer to Paz?).

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

tentawesome posted:

I have been wanting Annie's cheating to get addressed ever since Renard gave her poo poo for it. She's obviously fairly smart, so the fact she just completely ignores doing her school work would make for an interesting chapter (especially how Kat would react to it - it might possibly cause a division in their relationship that pushes her closer to Paz?).

It might, were Kat a lovely friend; she isn't, though, so a more likely reaction would be to offer to help Annie out in whatever subjects she sucks at (all of them).

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Besides they already had some strain on their friendship and went right back, I don't know if they'd go there again for something minor. Kat is just a really good friend.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah no way, what'll happen when/if Kat discovers that Annie cheats off of her is that Kat will just be so sad and disappointed.

"You... you don't like double physics? How can you not like... double physics..." :smith:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Splicer posted:

School dance. Renard takes Hetty.

Don't get me wrong, she's still dead. He's done the doll up like a marionette.

Weekend at Eglamores :getin:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I think the colorful flower represents Annie, but the second plant is SOMEBODY ELSE.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Perhaps this chapter will have Annie start noticing Kat and Paz hanging out more. But because Kat hasn't told Annie anything yet she's misunderstanding it as Kat getting a new best friend instead of Kat is now dating Paz.

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.

Revolver Bunker posted:

Perhaps this chapter will have Annie start noticing Kat and Paz hanging out more. But because Kat hasn't told Annie anything yet she's misunderstanding it as Kat getting a new best friend instead of Kat is now dating Paz.

If that results in Annie trying to get Kat back as her best friend but Kat interpets it as Annie trying to get Kat as a girlfriend because of wacky misunderstandings then the fanbase will freak.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

QueerPope posted:

If that results in Annie trying to get Kat back as her best friend but Kat interpets it as Annie trying to get Kat as a girlfriend because of wacky misunderstandings then the fanbase will freak.

You can't just slap SnK's opening onto everything.

I'm expecting this to be more Medium stuff, though--maybe Annie having to learn some unexpected responsibility of being the forest medium very quickly.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

QueerPope posted:

The best part of this is the first comment, hoping that there's some twist in the tale, like Kat turning into a boy.

Not that she'd turn out to be transsexual, that it'd just like, happen. Because forced magical genderbending is more palatable than lesbians.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Can 16 yearolds get pilot licences in the UK?

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Anyone getting vibes of From The Forest She Came with this chapter image? I think Annie is going to get a really hard lesson in medium responsibilities.

EDIT: Wait, is that the same flower in both images?

DrSnakeLaser fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Aug 10, 2013

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
From the forest's flower looks like a dandelion. Crash course's is definitely different.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah no way, what'll happen when/if Kat discovers that Annie cheats off of her is that Kat will just be so sad and disappointed.

"You... you don't like double physics? How can you not like... double physics..." :smith:

I don't know. I would agree with you if Annie had just generally been cheating, but she has specifically been copying Kat's homework for years. That's a major violation of Kat's trust, especially now that they are roommates. I think Kat would justifiably be angry about it, more so than being sad or disappointed.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!
She'll be mad, but will channel that into making Annie cram like mad to catch up.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Well guys, after that lovely, murderous interlude, poo poo's about to get real.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kat and Paz play Vocaloid games. Or at least Paz does, and both like rhythm games.

I wonder if Annie knows yet. (Not about the rhythm games.)

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Space Channel 5 t-shirt.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I am over the moon that Hatsune Miku is canon in gunnerkrigg.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
^^^
Oh god what the hell Domino's???

If this means more coyote panels I am totally down.

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Aug 12, 2013

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Was gonna somehow make a Renard/Katsune Miku joke, but... yeah, I'll show myself out. :tipshat:

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Man talking to Ysengrin is gonna be awkward and probably end poorly.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Man talking to Ysengrin is gonna be awkward and probably end poorly.

Ysengrin: "I missed you, why haven't you been in the forest for awhile?"

Annie: "...no reason."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Dogdoo 8 posted:

I think there's a chance there's at least some international clientele. Annie learned Polish and met Muut at Good Hope.

There's a pretty sizable Polish population in the UK. Also any university town will have quite a mix of nationalities.

About the homework copying: I remember her doing it that one time, but has there been anything to show that she's done it a lot? I see people here talking about Annie ignoring her schoolwork for years and I'm not sure where that impression's coming from.