Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
So I'm not sure if I should post this in the Games SRW thread or here (there *IS* one, right?), but after many many years of pain and suffering, we SRW fans finally have something resembling a SRW of our own.

The guys behind the fan-project SRW Eternity just released a demo, which can be found on their website over at http://srw.eternitychan.org/

To run the game, you need a Windows PC, and to have both the latest XNA Framework and the .NET Framework 4 Client Profile installed. It's recommended that you have at least 2GB RAM.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=20914
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=24872

It's still clearly a work in progress, and they need a ton of help! If you find any glitches or want to complain about a feature, the guys have a few places you can do it in:

I've been following this game closely since pretty much day 1, and many of the people working on it are my friends, so that's a bit of a disclaimer for this post I reckon :v: But I've always wanted to have a real western-made SRW fangame that doesn't use any japanese engines, and I'm sure that whenever the engine is actually done other people will pick it up to make derivatives. Maybe it will be the next RPG Maker! (it won't)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Wait what? This is actually happening? It's NOT vaporware?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Gaogaigar is one of my favorite shows of all time, but the concept of loving MAMORU as someone who faces hardship and difficult choices in order to grow is so gut-bustingly hilarious that I had to comment.

Mamoru is an alien, yes. However, he looks and lives exactly like a normal human boy. He has a perfect, loving, harmonious family with no internal problems(they even know he's an alien so there's no conflict there). He has a ton of good, loyal friends who also have no problems with him being an alien when they find out. His vaunted "choice", the one offered by GGG, is about as much of a non-choice as possible. If he opts to help GGG, he gets to work with a bunch of people who are unfailingly kind and accommodating to him on every level. He gets a personal giant ninja robot police car bodyguard/chaffeur(which if I were a ten year old I'd piss myself in glee about). He doesn't sacrifice anything to help them and even gains from it. If he DOESN'T help GGG, they simply let him be and I guess he has to live with the guilt that Guy is going to have to kill everyone who gets possessed by a Zondar because only Mamoru can save them. That's it. He is a character who is different from others but gains everything and loses nothing because he is different. Every character except Kaidou falls all over themselves to be his friend/mentor/father figure at every possible juncture.

The closest things to hardship he suffers in the main series are when he thinks that the other protagonists are dead. FINAL is different but everyone suffers horribly in FINAL so he's hardly unique.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

Gaogaigar is one of my favorite shows of all time, but the concept of loving MAMORU as someone who faces hardship and difficult choices in order to grow is so gut-bustingly hilarious that I had to comment.

Mamoru is an alien, yes. However, he looks and lives exactly like a normal human boy. He has a perfect, loving, harmonious family with no internal problems(they even know he's an alien so there's no conflict there). He has a ton of good, loyal friends who also have no problems with him being an alien when they find out. His vaunted "choice", the one offered by GGG, is about as much of a non-choice as possible. If he opts to help GGG, he gets to work with a bunch of people who are unfailingly kind and accommodating to him on every level. He gets a personal giant ninja robot police car bodyguard/chaffeur(which if I were a ten year old I'd piss myself in glee about). He doesn't sacrifice anything to help them and even gains from it. If he DOESN'T help GGG, they simply let him be and I guess he has to live with the guilt that Guy is going to have to kill everyone who gets possessed by a Zondar because only Mamoru can save them. That's it. He is a character who is different from others but gains everything and loses nothing because he is different. Every character except Kaidou falls all over themselves to be his friend/mentor/father figure at every possible juncture.

The closest things to hardship he suffers in the main series are when he thinks that the other protagonists are dead. FINAL is different but everyone suffers horribly in FINAL so he's hardly unique.

But nobody threw rocks at him.

CHECK AND MATE

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ActionZero posted:

Wait what? This is actually happening? It's NOT vaporware?

Holy poo poo, I never thought I'd see the day that they'd finally get something playable out. Even if it's just a demo, kudos to them for actually getting something out there. That's more than what most fan projects do.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Getting Mazinkaiser SKL and New Getter Robo in a few months, plus I'm gonna watch Densetsu Kyojin Ideon as soon as I get the time.

Man, I'm in a giant robot mood.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Kanos posted:

He gets a personal giant ninja robot police car bodyguard/chaffeur(which if I were a ten year old I'd piss myself in glee about).

Not just Volfogg, but Galeon too! He arrived to Earth in Galeon and I'm pretty sure there's a few times where Galeon dives in front of the fist/missle/building chunk right before it hits Mamoru. The only person more universally loved than Mamoru was Jesus.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

KoldPT posted:

The guys behind the fan-project SRW Eternity just released a demo, which can be found on their website over at http://srw.eternitychan.org/
I only played the first scenario (Zeus was killed by Hades :negative:) but even in such a short time, it already had some neat crossovers. Such as Himika and Gore showing up as enemies, or Takeru showing up as an ally.

Zodar
May 21, 2007

Alright, so I'm guessing some of you know about Dragon's Heaven, the 1988 OVA made by mecha designer Makoto Kobayashi (and shamelessly inspired by Moebius):

(If you haven't seen it, I recommend it; it's gorgeous, and only 45 minutes long).

Now apparently this OVA was based on a manga of the same name, also drawn by Kobayashi. I've had no luck finding it; google only turns up the OVA, a two-page promo comic drawn for the OVA, or this other lame-looking fanservice manga that's also called Dragon's Heaven. This scan of a single page is the only indication that the manga even exists:

Does anyone know where to find it, or where I might look? Kobayashi's work is a big inspiration to me-- all intricate, archaic machinery pushed to alien extremes-- and this comic is turning into my white whale.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Zodar posted:

Does anyone know where to find it, or where I might look?
Searching hole in the wall used manga places in Japan is probably your best bet. From what I understand the actual manga hasn't been in print since the 80s and I doubt anyone wants to cut up their copy for a decent scan.

Some double page scans pop up on /m/ once in a while so you might want to look through the archive at http://archive.foolz.us/m/ though most of the images are probably 404.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Kanos posted:

Just because he didn't have a hosed up psyche like Shinji and Simon does not mean he had bad development or his character did not go through any hardship at all. Just finding out he wasn't human was a huge culture shock to him, and while most of the people who KNEW HIM accepted him, there is always the "what ifs" if other people found out about him, like his teachers or other such people in his life that would have more of a negative reaction. But god forbid a character has a good relationship with the other heroes, huh? But Pasder and Arm hated and feared him, and the Sol Lords even moreso because they felt he was betraying them.

Then, In FINAL, he goes through a huge devestating arc. Not only with having to be the one sent back while the others were trapped, but he has to live with the guilt that the clone he created to get away killed Pappilon, and he had to fight a program based on his father, and most importantly, he was not able to broker peace with the Sol Lords, who DID share his common goal of reviving his homeland, they simply went about it the wrong way.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Truly a tragic development for our protagonist, that he is hated by the antagonist, and certainly not one that nearly every protagonist in fiction had to endure. No, woe is upon Mamoru, that not every single living being adores him and facilitates his life. Asking 'what if' does not actually change how the show actually is, you know. Theorize all you want but the show will still be presented in the same way, and that way is that Everyone Loves Mamoru.

Frankly, I don't remember if the Sol Lords ever stopped twirling their mustaches and being genocidal assholes while they were on screen, but something tells me that you're greatly exaggerating just how much fault lies in Mamoru for not being able to talk things out with them.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

Zodar posted:

Does anyone know where to find it, or where I might look? Kobayashi's work is a big inspiration to me-- all intricate, archaic machinery pushed to alien extremes-- and this comic is turning into my white whale.

I really enjoyed Dragon's Heaven and Kobayashi's designs always kick rear end!

Good luck on trying to find the manga.

If you're successful in finding it, please share it!

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

TK-31 posted:

Truly a tragic development for our protagonist, that he is hated by the antagonist, and certainly not one that nearly every protagonist in fiction had to endure. No, woe is upon Mamoru, that not every single living being adores him and facilitates his life. Asking 'what if' does not actually change how the show actually is, you know. Theorize all you want but the show will still be presented in the same way, and that way is that Everyone Loves Mamoru.

Frankly, I don't remember if the Sol Lords ever stopped twirling their mustaches and being genocidal assholes while they were on screen, but something tells me that you're greatly exaggerating just how much fault lies in Mamoru for not being able to talk things out with them.

But both the Zonders and the Sol Lords especially were very, very sympathetic. they were just misled AIs. And asking "what ifs" is fine, that what's called subtle flaws and development. It's certainly better than outright making your characters abused/disturbed.

Clawshrimpy fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 14, 2013

Zodar
May 21, 2007

Lepecard posted:

I really enjoyed Dragon's Heaven and Kobayashi's designs always kick rear end!

Good luck on trying to find the manga.

If you're successful in finding it, please share it!

Apparently the dude who scanned the pages I posted didn't want to damage his copy, so he only scanned four other pages:

That's it. Understandable, because it must've taken him forever to find a physical copy, but disappointing. I don't think I'm going to Japan any time soon.

Zodar fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Aug 14, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Clawshrimpy posted:

But both the Zonders and the Sol Lords especially were very, very sympathetic. they were just misled AIs. And asking "what ifs" is fine, that what's called subtle flaws and development. It's certainly better than outright making your characters abused/disturbed.
Do you think soldiers shouldn't be punished for following orders?

edit: agh gently caress I replied to Clawshrimpy. God drat it. Clawshrimpy please go away back to 4chan or wherever you came from.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Captain Invictus posted:

Do you think soldiers shouldn't be punished for following orders?

edit: agh gently caress I replied to Clawshrimpy. God drat it. Clawshrimpy please go away back to 4chan or wherever you came from.

It depends on the circumstances, like how big of assholes the millitary is to them, and/or how corrupt said millitary is, as well as the circumstances.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Well, I got probated for using stupid arguments, so I should probably not change how I go about that at all.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
I'm not sure if this is the Dragon's Heaven manga, but Mandarake is selling this:
http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/shop/en/item_s-1294906.html

Might be worth checking out

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Clawshrimpy posted:

But both the Zonders and the Sol Lords especially were very, very sympathetic. they were just misled AIs.

Sympathy is not 'he's a good person deep down or he's just misled, so I can like him now'. Sympathy is an emotion you feel, however irrational, because something about the character resonates with you on some emotional level, and emotions almost by necessity do not make sense. All the attempts you've made so far to justify why you feel sympathy for GGG characters, and why you don't for others in other shows, feel shallow because the honest truth is you don't really know why, it's just a feeling you get from watching a show (and that is all it has to be!).

The other reason they feel shallow is because of the disastrous double-standards you're drawing from one show to the next in order to make those justifications at all. New Getter Robo, a show you gave a 10/10 on Your Anime List, shares a lot of common themes with TTGL and has even less 'good' protagonists than Kamina or Simon. It's completely fine for you to like one and not the other, but don't try to explain it with crap like 'Kamina wasn't a nice enough guy'. I know by now you might have gone back and 'revised' your enjoyment of NGR to justify not liking TTGL, which is kind of stupid. You don't have to justify an opinion, especially when the only justifications you can think of just seem contradictory.

If you really have a problem with Kamina as a character, note the ridiculous sunglasses he uses to hide his eyes (the window to the soul, as it were). This is a pretty telling aspect of his character, in that he masks his actual self with an unrealistic cartoon character who appears stronger than the real person underneath. Also, contrast with Simon's goggles, which he regards as a necessary part of his identity as 'Simon The Digger'. Both characters are imperfect people who still work well together. That's why Gurren Lagann is strong, not because of manliness or bravado or whatever but because it embodies two different people with different strengths and weaknesses, who may not be entirely good people, working together to get something done right. That's the embodiment of the closest thing the real world has to 'spiral power', different imperfect people working together to achieve something greater than the sum of its creator's parts. I think you're making too much of a surface reading of the characters to 'get' the show and see what it's really trying to achieve. The battles are fun because of the investment in what's happening, not the animation's quality. It's almost like the only show you've ever bothered to make a deep reading into is GGG and everything else has never had as much of a chance. You probably won't bother to read all of this or make an effort to learn anything from it, but to be frank writing all this has reminded me of why I enjoy mecha shows, so I'm glad I did it. I haven't actually seen all of GGG, just a smattering of episodes, and now I'm considering going back and fixing that.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Well thanks Clawshrimpy, I've never heard of the zonders and the sol lords being sympathetic. I would have thought the whole "want to wipe out humanity" thing does not make them very sympathetic. I guess with that logic, loving ultron from marvel is a sympathetic villain. For Christ some of the sol lords torture people for fun.

This is coming from a guy who loves the hell out of gaogaigar. Genesic gaogaigar is an awesome mech, no question.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Hbomberguy posted:

Sympathy is not 'he's a good person deep down or he's just misled, so I can like him now'. Sympathy is an emotion you feel, however irrational, because something about the character resonates with you on some emotional level, and emotions almost by necessity do not make sense. All the attempts you've made so far to justify why you feel sympathy for GGG characters, and why you don't for others in other shows, feel shallow because the honest truth is you don't really know why, it's just a feeling you get from watching a show (and that is all it has to be!).

The other reason they feel shallow is because of the disastrous double-standards you're drawing from one show to the next in order to make those justifications at all. New Getter Robo, a show you gave a 10/10 on Your Anime List, shares a lot of common themes with TTGL and has even less 'good' protagonists than Kamina or Simon. It's completely fine for you to like one and not the other, but don't try to explain it with crap like 'Kamina wasn't a nice enough guy'. I know by now you might have gone back and 'revised' your enjoyment of NGR to justify not liking TTGL, which is kind of stupid. You don't have to justify an opinion, especially when the only justifications you can think of just seem contradictory.

If you really have a problem with Kamina as a character, note the ridiculous sunglasses he uses to hide his eyes (the window to the soul, as it were). This is a pretty telling aspect of his character, in that he masks his actual self with an unrealistic cartoon character who appears stronger than the real person underneath. Also, contrast with Simon's goggles, which he regards as a necessary part of his identity as 'Simon The Digger'. Both characters are imperfect people who still work well together. That's why Gurren Lagann is strong, not because of manliness or bravado or whatever but because it embodies two different people with different strengths and weaknesses, who may not be entirely good people, working together to get something done right. That's the embodiment of the closest thing the real world has to 'spiral power', different imperfect people working together to achieve something greater than the sum of its creator's parts. I think you're making too much of a surface reading of the characters to 'get' the show and see what it's really trying to achieve. The battles are fun because of the investment in what's happening, not the animation's quality. It's almost like the only show you've ever bothered to make a deep reading into is GGG and everything else has never had as much of a chance. You probably won't bother to read all of this or make an effort to learn anything from it, but to be frank writing all this has reminded me of why I enjoy mecha shows, so I'm glad I did it. I haven't actually seen all of GGG, just a smattering of episodes, and now I'm considering going back and fixing that.

I don't even like NGR anymore, that anime list is horredously out of date. A lot of that is back before I changed my opinion of Getter and Mazinger, and by extension Nagai and Ishikawa, when Shin Mazinger bad writing and nonsense ending made me re-evaluate how good those works were, and as it turns out, they're just bad 70s remakes that doesn't come close to GGG's writing level.

You are right about it having similar themes to TTGL and that's why it's bad and inferior to GGG, as I found when I reevaluated it.

But I should go and update that thing, I actually havent logged in there for years.

But I don't understand how I didn't get Kamina and Simon, they are terrible to people who are supposed to be their teammates, I can't find some other way to look at it that makes Kamina and Simon's relationship less hosed up, just because I know from watching other shows like GGG, that I know this is not how naormal people who work together should treat each other.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Monaghan posted:

Well thanks Clawshrimpy, I've never heard of the zonders and the sol lords being sympathetic. I would have thought the whole "want to wipe out humanity" thing does not make them very sympathetic. I guess with that logic, loving ultron from marvel is a sympathetic villain. For Christ some of the sol lords torture people for fun.

This is coming from a guy who loves the hell out of gaogaigar. Genesic gaogaigar is an awesome mech, no question.

Yeah. While the exposition about the Sol Lords' origin says that they were intended for something that wasn't evil, that's just some infodumping to set up the story. In practice, 100% of their actions are all about their goal which just so happens to have the side effect of destroying the universe. It's something that's just incredibly unsympathetic, especially since they're arrogant as hell about what they're doing. They don't even see it as a tragedy that one universe has to be destroyed to create another. It's just: "We're Gods, deal with it".

They did make for a pretty fun group of evil counterparts though! Especially the musical whale robot.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Srice posted:

Yeah. While the exposition about the Sol Lords' origin says that they were intended for something that wasn't evil, that's just some infodumping to set up the story. In practice, 100% of their actions are all about their goal which just so happens to have the side effect of destroying the universe. It's something that's just incredibly unsympathetic, especially since they're arrogant as hell about what they're doing. They don't even see it as a tragedy that one universe has to be destroyed to create another. It's just: "We're Gods, deal with it".

They did make for a pretty fun group of evil counterparts though! Especially the musical whale robot.

They're not like that at all, they only act arrogant because they're loving terrified to death of them and their home being destroyed! they only do evil things because they're afraid of failing their homeland, and were angry at Mamoru because they though he of all people should understand them, and Earth wasn't really his homeland to begin with. In fact, this goes as far to the point that the Loud G-Stone being pwoered by the opposite of Courage, and why the heroes were able to barely overcome them, was that they were powered by fear. But, part of them wanted the heroes to suceed end the end because, well, fear exists to be conquered, but even facing that Realization, Palus Abel is terrified for the fate of the Trinary Solar system, but Kaidou tells her "it's not gone" as she dies. Then Mamoru explains that the only way for it to be truly reborn was for the Sol Lords to be filled with the thing that scared them the most. The power of Courage.

Sure they got angry at the heroes, but it's an anger that's justified. Sure, the machines in The Matrix were extreme too, but after what happens in The Second Renessance, it's justified that the Machines would do this to Humanity because they were scared of the humans. the SOl Lords, just like the machines in The Matrix, were an examination of. "Should Artificial life be swept aside or annihilated for the sake of humankind?"

Clawshrimpy fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 14, 2013

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Clawshrimpy posted:

But I don't understand how I didn't get Kamina and Simon, they are terrible to people who are supposed to be their teammates, I can't find some other way to look at it that makes Kamina and Simon's relationship less hosed up, just because I know from watching other shows like GGG, that I know this is not how naormal people who work together should treat each other.

Simon and Kamina do not come from humanity's best and brightest, they come from a cave. They do not have any of the infrastructure or education that the characters in GGG had, and are probably illiterate for a large portion of the show. But we know that those people are capable of doing good things, because not only is that how mankind started, but because we see them, inch by inch, do good things in spite of their personal issues and found a society in which there can be education over the course of the show. They aren't meant to be perfect human beings, that is the entire point. I'll return again to the sunglasses. They are intentionally designed to look like Guy's weird metal helmet thingies.

Right down to the three flops of hair that spill over it.

This is done in order to make a point (you're going to have to imagine for a second that 'good writing' is subjective and actually try to look deeper into a show other than GGG for once). In the world of Gurren Lagann (and the real world, while we're at it) people like Guy do not exist. Not just because they are loving robots from space, but because they are an idea, a concept. This concept is what helps people do good things and improve both themselves and the world around them.

Let me put it another way. Even in the world of Batman, 'Batman' does not actually exist. He is Bruce Wayne in a mask, pretending to be Batman in order to A: Help people and B: Inspire people to do the same. Kamina is both an interesting subversion of Guy in that he's all talk and not a perfect person at all (I think you hate TTGL because it subtly makes fun of Guy Shishioh but you can't quite see it), but still a very cool and loving homage because despite those things he still makes the world better, both by doing good things in the guise of Guy and by inspiring others (Simon, Yoko, Kittan, the list literally encompasses everyone in the entire loving show HOW ARE YOU NOT GETTING THIS) to make the world better. That is why the foundation of mankind's newfound intellect and technology is called Kamina City. Kamina didn't build it or tell anyone to build it and could barely conceive of the technology used to build it, but something about him inspired that chain of events and drove people onward.

TTGL is all about exploring ideas, how ideas influence humanity, and how humanity got to where it is today. Saying 'but I don't think Kamina is a nice person' is completely ignorant of the show on every level except the most literal one possible, where you look at a comedy scene where a very silly teenager in a giant robot throws huge rocks at his little brother to try and 'train' him and say to yourself 'this guy's worse than hitler'. I don't understand why you think Kamina and Simon are terrible people, the worst things they do is occasionally be violent to each other in the name of petty quarrels (have you ever had a sibling?), filtered through the lens of giant robots.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Clawshrimpy posted:

They're not like that at all, they only act arrogant because they're loving terrified to death of them and their home being destroyed! they only do evil things because they're afraid of failing their homeland, and were angry at Mamoru because they though he of all people should understand them, and Earth wasn't really his homeland to begin with.

Sure they got angry at the heroes, but it's an anger that's justified. Sure, the machines in The Matrix were extreme too, but after what happens in The Second Renessance, it's justified that the Machines would do this to Humanity because they were scared of the humans.

Please tell me how gleefully torturing the heroes, like Rennee, are in any way related to saving their homeland.

It's not really a justifiable anger because they are wiping out an entire species for their own gain. Also your matrix analogy makes no sense. The humans in the matrix were a direct threat to the machines and trying to destroy them. The humans were the aggressors for most of the story. In final, they were rebulding a dead universe and sacrificing humans who posed no threat to them because that's what they wanted to do. That's hardly justifable, it's them being selfish fuckers. I'd have more sympathty for them if they were at least bit conflicted, but they just go "gently caress it humans gotta go."

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 14, 2013

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Hbomberguy posted:

Simon and Kamina do not come from humanity's best and brightest, they come from a cave. They do not have any of the infrastructure or education that the characters in GGG had, and are probably illiterate for a large portion of the show. But we know that those people are capable of doing good things, because not only is that how mankind started, but because we see them, inch by inch, do good things in spite of their personal issues and found a society in which there can be education over the course of the show. They aren't meant to be perfect human beings, that is the entire point. I'll return again to the sunglasses. They are intentionally designed to look like Guy's weird metal helmet thingies.

Right down to the three flops of hair that spill over it.

This is done in order to make a point (you're going to have to imagine for a second that 'good writing' is subjective and actually try to look deeper into a show other than GGG for once). In the world of Gurren Lagann (and the real world, while we're at it) people like Guy do not exist. Not just because they are loving robots from space, but because they are an idea, a concept. This concept is what helps people do good things and improve both themselves and the world around them.

Let me put it another way. Even in the world of Batman, 'Batman' does not actually exist. He is Bruce Wayne in a mask, pretending to be Batman in order to A: Help people and B: Inspire people to do the same. Kamina is both an interesting subversion of Guy in that he's all talk and not a perfect person at all (I think you hate TTGL because it subtly makes fun of Guy Shishioh but you can't quite see it), but still a very cool and loving homage because despite those things he still makes the world better, both by doing good things in the guise of Guy and by inspiring others (Simon, Yoko, Kittan, the list literally encompasses everyone in the entire loving show HOW ARE YOU NOT GETTING THIS) to make the world better. That is why the foundation of mankind's newfound intellect and technology is called Kamina City. Kamina didn't build it or tell anyone to build it and could barely conceive of the technology used to build it, but something about him inspired that chain of events and drove people onward.

TTGL is all about exploring ideas, how ideas influence humanity, and how humanity got to where it is today. Saying 'but I don't think Kamina is a nice person' is completely ignorant of the show on every level except the most literal one possible, where you look at a comedy scene where a very silly teenager in a giant robot throws huge rocks at his little brother to try and 'train' him and say to yourself 'this guy's worse than hitler'. I don't understand why you think Kamina and Simon are terrible people, the worst things they do is occasionally be violent to each other in the name of petty quarrels (have you ever had a sibling?), filtered through the lens of giant robots.

But the problem is is that "gorwth as a species" never seems to happen outside of flying cars and Spiral Power fueled tech. even in the post-timeskip society, nobody thinks aside from Rossiu, and Rossiu is painted as a major villain of the show at that point simply because he has a mind. ANd even in the "enlightened" society of Kamina City, It's apparently okay for Simon to punch a suicidal person, a person that he himself drove to suicide.

During the city arc, we actually do see that SImon's methopds could actually be wrong when he was arrested and tried. But just a few episodes later, the show goes BACK on that, and goes "nope he was right all along". making the entirty of Rossiu's character pointless, and completing his total Character Assasination with a suicide attempt, and SImon hitting him and shoving the same dogma down his throat that Kamina did when he punched him when he was mentally distressed, opening the floodgates for the cycle of abuse to repeat.

For coming so far with their technology, they continue to not behave like how people should loving treat each other.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

I really shouldn't be replying to you, but other people are so why the gently caress not.

Clawshrimpy posted:

But the problem is is that "gorwth as a species" never seems to happen outside of flying cars and Spiral Power fueled tech. even in the post-timeskip society, nobody thinks aside from Rossiu, and Rossiu is painted as a major villain of the show at that point simply because he has a mind.
Rossiu's plan was based on the idea that the Anti-Spiral threat was going to stop at some piddly Muganns and kidnapping Nia. If that doesn't sound absurd as the extent of the plan of a mind hell-bent on the eradication of any form of life capable of iteratively bettering itself, I really don't know what to tell you.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Clawshrimpy posted:

But the problem is is that "gorwth as a species" never seems to happen outside of flying cars and Spiral Power fueled tech. even in the post-timeskip society, nobody thinks aside from Rossiu, and Rossiu is painted as a major villain of the show at that point simply because he has a mind. ANd even in the "enlightened" society of Kamina City, It's apparently okay for Simon to punch a suicidal person, a person that he himself drove to suicide.

During the city arc, we actually do see that SImon's methopds could actually be wrong when he was arrested and tried. But just a few episodes later, the show goes BACK on that, and goes "nope he was right all along". making the entirty of Rossiu's character pointless, and completing his total Character Assasination with a suicide attempt, and SImon hitting him and shoving the same dogma down his throat that Kamina did when he punched him when he was mentally distressed, opening the floodgates for the cycle of abuse to repeat.

For coming so far with their technology, they continue to not behave like how people should loving treat each other.

You haven't actually seen Gurren Lagann, have you?

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Crosscontaminant posted:

I really shouldn't be replying to you, but other people are so why the gently caress not.

Rossiu's plan was based on the idea that the Anti-Spiral threat was going to stop at some piddly Muganns and kidnapping Nia. If that doesn't sound absurd as the extent of the plan of a mind hell-bent on the eradication of any form of life capable of iteratively bettering itself, I really don't know what to tell you.

His plan was a lot better than Simon's since Simon caused an explosion in the city and caused a shitload of people to die.

ALso, he tried to "talk" Nia out of the influence. Which is beyond stupid, and for some reason it just works the second time because the Anti-Spiral is incompetent.

Clawshrimpy fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 14, 2013

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Hbomberguy posted:

You haven't actually seen Gurren Lagann, have you?

Of course I have, you just don't think I have because I have a differing view of it.

Someone who likes it and someone who hates it aren't going to take things the same way.

Clawshrimpy fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 14, 2013

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Clawshrimpy posted:

Of course I have, you just don't think I have because I have a differing view of it.

Please explain how Simon drove rosseau to suicide. Rosseau was going to shoot himself because he realized he hosed up royal and betrayed people for a plan that would have killed everyone and felt guilty as hell. How is this in any way, Simon's fault?

edit- there are differing takes on things, but you are either misremembering, lying and have no idea how human beings interact.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Clawshrimpy posted:

Rossiu's whole arc after the timeskip was that all his plans basically boiled down to "run away" and Simon's whole character is just "push forward," of course theyre going to be at odds.

e: even the suicide thing is just him running away instead of facing his problems.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Monaghan posted:

Please explain how Simon drove rosseau to suicide. Rosseau was going to shoot himself because he realized he hosed up royal and betrayed people for a plan that would have killed everyone and felt guilty as hell. How is this in any way, Simon's fault?

edit- there are differing takes on things, but you are either misremembering, lying and have no idea how human beings interact.

Because Simon's way, that was completely at odds with the way his free thinking mind operated, was the correct path, and that Rossiu was wrong to question the Way That Team Gurren Rolls (TM), leaving him directionless.

Then Simon punches him and makes Rossiu cow to said "correct path" robbing him of individuality through force/abuse. Just as Kamina forced Simon to do things his way.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

KoB posted:

Rossiu's whole arc after the timeskip was that all his plans basically boiled down to "run away" and Simon's whole character is just "push forward," of course theyre going to be at odds.

e: even the suicide thing is just him running away instead of facing his problems.

Simon had no problems with running away..... until Kamina forcibly beaten it out of him.

You'd think Simon at least would show more compassion, but by this point in the show, Simon's transformation into another Kamina-like villain was complete.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Clawshrimpy posted:

Because Simon's way, that was completely at odds with the way his free thinking mind operated, was the correct path, and that Rossiu was wrong to question the Way That Team Gurren Rolls (TM), leaving him directionless.

Then Simon punches him and makes Rossiu cow to said "correct path" robbing him of individuality through force/abuse. Just as Kamina forced Simon to do things his way.

Simon punched Rossiu in order to stop him from killing himself. Rossiu stopped following his initial line of thinking because he had already been presented an overwhelming amount of evidence that he was wrong and had come within a hair's breadth of dooming humanity.

I'm with the guy that thinks you haven't actually watched Gurren Lagann. That or you've forgotten large chunks of it, which doesn't do wonders for arguing its merits or lack thereof.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Pureauthor posted:

Simon punched Rossiu in order to stop him from killing himself. Rossiu stopped following his initial line of thinking because he had already been presented an overwhelming amount of evidence that he was wrong and had come within a hair's breadth of dooming humanity.

I'm with the guy that thinks you haven't actually watched Gurren Lagann. That or you've forgotten large chunks of it, which doesn't do wonders for arguing its merits or lack thereof.

No, the only reason Simon gave a poo poo about ROssiu is he thought he still had a useful little slave to run his government for him, so he went and punched him, followed with the usual "believe in me who believes in you" rhetoric to plant a "Kamina seed" in him, like the one Kamina had planted in Simon. He just had to fully transform him into a good little cult member, even though he was the one who drove him to this point by proving by saving everyone that thinking is wrong.

I have watched the show, it's just when you don't like it, you're going to take away from it completely differently.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Woah. I don't even know what to say, Clawshrimpy is loving nuts.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Clawshrimpy posted:

No, the only reason Simon gave a poo poo about ROssiu is he thought he still had a useful little slave to run his government for him, so he went and punched him, followed with the usual "believe in me who believes in you" rhetoric to plant a "Kamina seed" in him, like the one Kamina had planted in Simon. He just had to fully transform him into a good little cult member, even though he was the one who drove him to this point by proving by saving everyone that thinking is wrong.

I have watched the show, it's just when you don't like it, you're going to take away from it completely differently.
Where in the gently caress are you getting the idea that Simon only cared about Rossiu as he needed someone to run his government? Way to pull that out of your rear end. Simon never even hinted at that it was completely "okay you may have made a mistake, don't kill yourself." Man that Simon, what an rear end in a top hat!

Again there is having differing reasonable interpretations and just going off the rails with baseless assumptions and seems to completely contradict what characters actually said(see your interpretation of rossiu).

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Going bonkers with interpretations can be fun but you gotta back it up with examples from the text. But there is a pretty big difference between that and saying that things the show presents as facts are outright lies (without giving any evidence as to why they are lies, of course).

• Locked thread