Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Keep in mind the guy running CNN is the guy who hosed Conan O'Brien over, brought us such wonderful television experiences as Joey and The Apprentice, and is generally considered to be the guy responsible for NBC turning from Friends-level primetime gold into utter poo poo over the 2000-2010 time period, an era only brought to a close because Vivendi shelled out some 30-40 million dollars to burn his contract rather than deal with him sticking around after the merger.

E: That is to say of course Newt will be holding an educational Klan rally on CNN.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Aug 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
It really is Jeff Zucker's mad scheme to make it 1995 again by science or magic.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
He also put his 15-year-old son on the advisory board of a start-up.

And he basically fired one of the only good things about CNN: Soledad O'Brien.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

ufarn posted:

He also put his 15-year-old son on the advisory board of a start-up.

And he basically fired one of the only good things about CNN: Soledad O'Brien.

The man has a seething hatred for all O'Briens

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

ABC News posted:

During an interview for “This Week,” real estate mogul Donald Trump questioned whether Texas Sen. Ted Cruz would be eligible for the White House given his Canadian birth.

“If he was born in Canada, perhaps not.” Trump told ABC’s Jonathan Karl.

“I don’t know the circumstances. I heard somebody told me he was born in Canada. That’s really his thing,” he said.

Trump also defended his previous accusation that President Obama may not actually have been born in the United States — a conspiracy theory that has been proven false — when asked about the issue by Karl.

“Well, I don’t know, was there a birth certificate? You tell me. You know some people say that was not his birth certificate. So maybe it was; maybe it wasn’t,” Trump said.
Source.

"Why would I want to invade someone's privacy by repeatedly bringing up where that person may or not have been born? That's their thing."- Donald loving Trump.

Meanwhile in washed-up tea party celebrity news: Palin joins Team Rand.

Tossed Word Salad posted:

Mrs. Palin attributed the governor’s rising popularity to fake situations set up by what she called a “YouTube videographer,” the Daily Mail reported.

“Ya know, some people look at him as: ‘Ah man, he’s a governor who goes rogue.’ No, ya know he’s got a shtick going there where he’s got a YouTube videographer following him around, kind of these set up situations sometimes so he can be seen as perhaps going rogue,” she said. “But Chris Christie’s for more government and his record proves that, whereas Rand Paul with that healthy libertarian streak that we need more of, in our politicians, team Rand Paul.”

Source.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding
“Rand Paul with that healthy libertarian streak that we need more of, in our politicians, team Rand Paul.”

Stirring words.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

SombreroAgnew posted:

“Rand Paul with that healthy libertarian streak that we need more of, in our politicians, team Rand Paul.”

Stirring words.

She just knows how to connect with her constituency

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
The featured speaker at the Tom Harkin steak fry next month is Joseph R. Biden.

It's on.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I'm actually curious if anyone brings up the NSA kerfluffle regarding Biden's 2016 aspirations. I'm not sure it'll end up being a huge deal among anyone but the vocal lefties that the Dems wrote off long ago, but it does seem like something that could drag Biden down in a world where Hillary and Biden are running simultaneously.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

serewit posted:

I'm actually curious if anyone brings up the NSA kerfluffle regarding Biden's 2016 aspirations. I'm not sure it'll end up being a huge deal among anyone but the vocal lefties that the Dems wrote off long ago, but it does seem like something that could drag Biden down in a world where Hillary and Biden are running simultaneously.

Even with Hillary gone in the second term, I'm not sure how anything in the Obama administration doesn't impact both Hillary and Biden.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

serewit posted:

Something that probably will drag down Biden down is the effort he has made for gun control, Hillary played it smart and didn't say a word while Biden practically was the face of the gun control movement after Newtown. Biden will also be implicated in any potential fuckups by Obama during this term while Hillary will be distanced from it and nobody will give a poo poo about Benghazi 2016, it's really impressive how smooth of a political operator Hillary is.

Pump it up! Do it! fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 12, 2013

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Hillary definitely tried to distance herself from the administration, so I'm not sure what would really stick other than BENGHAZI (hilariously enough, my phone now autocorrects that in upper case) and if I recall my polling, that dog don't hunt.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

serewit posted:

Hillary definitely tried to distance herself from the administration, so I'm not sure what would really stick other than BENGHAZI (hilariously enough, my phone now autocorrects that in upper case) and if I recall my polling, that dog don't hunt.

I don't know if she "tried" so much as never made herself to appear closely involved to begin with. Given, that could be evidence of such an effort as you describe: why risk coming off as antagonistic or uncooperative when you can just remain easily separable and exit without anything really sticking, as far as normal peoples' perceptions are concerned. The shitballs wackos who care about Benghazi aren't the kinds of people she gives a drat about courting in the slightest.

It's the people a hair to their left she's focused on :negative:

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
e: scratch that, nevermind.

From the early comments of Rand Paul and Rick Santorum, it sounds like the GOP candidates are basically going to bash the "established" GOP brand, blaming it for 2012, and trying to take the party in a new direction. 2016 could easily swing the GOP into a more libertarian bent or more extreme religious right if no good "established" candidate comes forward

ManifunkDestiny fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Aug 12, 2013

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Citing Rasmussen as proof of anything is not going to convince a lot of folks around here. They're like Gallup's retarded brother.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Rasmussen doesn't do polling, they set narratives. I'd expect the approval numbers to tick up over the next two years as the PPACA starts to take effect.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

The streaks on my used toilet paper have more predicative and analytical value than a Rasmussen poll.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
1.) It's Rasmussen, so I don't even trust the underlying polling all that much.

2.) Comparing strongly approve with strongly disapprove is not a particularly interesting exercise for an established pol unless done for a specific purpose, and with this particular president it is fairly obvious without polling that most of the red team has become fanaticized and deranged about the person.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Obama's approval rating isn't doing well, though. Even if you remove Rasmussen and include all poll options, he's been underwater in job approval since the start of June.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Well yeah, but if you take out Ras and Fox it's like a 5 point spread rather than 15.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Joementum posted:

Obama's approval rating isn't doing well, though. Even if you remove Rasmussen and include all poll options, he's been underwater in job approval since the start of June.

The main reason I scratched it is because Obama had similar numbers in 2010, and still won re-election 2 years later

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Joementum posted:

Right, but he's a couple points under, not double digits like the Rasmussen narrative was pushing. Rasmussen's full polling doesn't even have him that underwater. There's also the issue that the daily trackers are Rasmussen (partisan), FOX News (partisan), Gallup (nobody trusts them after 2012), and YouGov (internet), which I suspect is because nobody without an agenda really cares about a second term president's day-to-day approvals.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

jeffersonlives posted:

Right, but he's a couple points under, not double digits like the Rasmussen narrative was pushing. Rasmussen's full polling doesn't even have him that underwater.

Can we put some dates to these polls? I suspect that the Snowden whistleblowing may have caused a substantial drop in Obama's approval, particularly within the last two weeks or so.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 12, 2013

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

Can we put some dates to these polls? I suspect that the Snowden whistleblowing may have caused a substantial drop in Obama's approval, particularly within the last two weeks or so.

Rasmussen's 8/9-8/11 sample shows Obama at 47-52. Joementum's link has fuller breakdowns including a trend line.

I know y'all desperately want the Snowden thing to have resonated, but as best I can tell, it only hit politically with the libertarian-leaning conservative types and leftists, neither of whom was really approving of Obama at any point in the last three or four years.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

jeffersonlives posted:

Rasmussen's 8/9-8/11 sample shows Obama at 47-52. Joementum's link has fuller breakdowns including a trend line.

I know y'all desperately want the Snowden thing to have resonated, but as best I can tell, it only hit politically with the libertarian-leaning conservative types and leftists, neither of whom was really approving of Obama at any point in the last three or four years.

But I can go into the Snowden thread and read about how this time, guys, really, his legacy is irrevocably shattered.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

But I can go into the Snowden thread and read about how this time, guys, really, his legacy is irrevocably shattered.

There's a very good chance that 20 years from now, he's viewed as Liberal Reagan with everything that entails (yes, this includes the parts where Reagan proposed a bunch of now-way too RINO things).

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I do love reading about how this scaled back Bush era program will finally turn the Democrats against their strongly reelected President because ARE METADATA :bahgawd:

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
Since I don't follow the primary thread as closely as I used to, I can't say whether this has been brought up prior to the two pages I just read, but I just noticed Rand Paul is to be the guest on The Daily Show tonight. It'll be interesting to see John Oliver's approach to someone like him, as opposed to Jon Stewart's usual mildly amused accommodation. Oliver's past interviews for TDS bits, especially the series on gun control in Australia, are tremendous, and pretty much just blunt in-your-face mockery.
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-april-25-2013/australia---gun-control-s-aftermath

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Ron Paul is starting a subscription internet television channel. $9.95 per month.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

First guest: Glenn Greenwald because of course it is.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Joementum posted:

Mark Ames just got a boner the size of Long Island.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Joementum posted:

That's what I was about to say. It's just perfect.

I don't see why he has to charge :10bux: a month for a subscription (well, I do). It says on the site "Dr. Paul will air all original programming several times a week," which sounds like it would work better on Youtube. And if he's trying to spread his message, forcing people to pay to hear it isn't going to help.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Adar posted:

There's a very good chance that 20 years from now, he's viewed as Liberal Reagan with everything that entails (yes, this includes the parts where Reagan proposed a bunch of now-way too RINO things).

I dunno, the left views everyone but Carter as Liberal Reagan, and the conservatives don't care what anyone else thinks.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Puella Magissima posted:

That's what I was about to say. It's just perfect.

I don't see why he has to charge :10bux: a month for a subscription (well, I do). It says on the site "Dr. Paul will air all original programming several times a week," which sounds like it would work better on Youtube. And if he's trying to spread his message, forcing people to pay to hear it isn't going to help.

Well, he's not trying to spread his message, he's trying to cash out on the true believers (again). Ron Paul may not have advanced the cause of liberty, but he sure has enriched himself and set his family up as a political dynasty!

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Basically libertarian televangelism in the age of YouTube and the Internet.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
And would you look at that: his plan worked.

If you watched the teaser for today's episode and are curious who his pick for Fed Chair is, it's Nobody.

Joementum fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 12, 2013

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker
For only 9.99 you can which a semiweekly program about how the Fed is robbing you blind and then buy the pro-freedom swag advertised at the end of it!

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Tune in next week for our piece on Freedom Milk.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
This week on RP TV, our panel of experts debate the biggest issue of our time: Which is a greater threat to liberty, the FDA or the Civil Rights Act?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
If Ron Paul ever lets somebody write for him he'll become unstoppable.

e: Do you hear me? The portal will be unsealed.

• Locked thread