Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Tremors posted:

He's also a much more versatile squadmate.

So says Craigslist, at least.

Kaidan's actually really funny in ME3; his writing took a big step up in quality over the first game (where he was a bit of a lump). The romance is sometimes a little squicky, but that's less the character than it is BioWare writers not really understanding human social customs.

chaosapiant posted:

I'm not complaining that Kaidan is now suddenly gay, though that's it's own problem, i'm complaining that it comes out of nowhere for a male Shepard.

I don't see why it's a problem; he's bi, probably more on the hetero side and more experienced with women, and didn't really consider male Shepard as an option until they'd known each other for a while. It may be more time than you want to spend thinking about a character's sexuality, but then it wasn't written for your benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

No, it was written for the fanfic authors and people who like to ship characters. Shep is toooo professional to sleep with anyone while they're under her command - only people who aren't on the Normandy are eligible for seeing shep's weirdly lacy underwear.

Edit: manshep is all over the place as some kind of bi Captain Kirk

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Maybe in ME1. In ME2, Cerberus seems like the kind of organization where everybody is doing everybody, and by the time ME3 rolls around it's the end of the world as we know it so who cares about professionalism anymore?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Kaidan is one of the best characters in ME1 because he's one of the few characters in that game, or any Bioware game, who genuinely has his poo poo squared away and doesn't need The Protagonist to be his goddamn therapist.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

GenericOverusedName posted:

Maybe in ME1. In ME2, Cerberus seems like the kind of organization where everybody is doing everybody, and by the time ME3 rolls around it's the end of the world as we know it so who cares about professionalism anymore?

Or the chain of command, for that matter. Is it more of a problem for Shepard to date Kaidan or to give him orders?

Still beyond me why they didn't just give Shepard a field promotion to get around the question of why a Commander is effectively in charge of the entire anti-Reaper alliance.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Captain Oblivious posted:

Kaidan is one of the best characters in ME1 because he's one of the few characters in that game, or any Bioware game, who genuinely has his poo poo squared away and doesn't need The Protagonist to be his goddamn therapist.

Wrex and Ashley also don't need therapeutic help from Shepard, which is half the crew. I'd argue that no one really needs help from Shepard, at least to the degree of ME2, but Kaidan is certainly not the only crew member with his poo poo straight.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

As an aside for my above post: all the romances are for fan service really. Don't really mind.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

Wrex and Ashley also don't need therapeutic help from Shepard, which is half the crew. I'd argue that no one really needs help from Shepard, at least to the degree of ME2, but Kaidan is certainly not the only crew member with his poo poo straight.

I'd disagree on the topic of Ashley, she definitely has lingering issues over Shanxi which make her suicidal.

Wrex loses points for being Canderous wearing a space frog suit, even if I like Canderous.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'd disagree on the topic of Ashley, she definitely has lingering issues over Shanxi which make her suicidal.

Wrex loses points for being Canderous wearing a space frog suit, even if I like Canderous.

I'm glad someone else pointed this out, because my thought of him way back on my first playthrough was, ok, so THIS is Carth and THIS is Canderous. The rest of KOTOR didn't seem to have any comparable characters though, thank good ness. Oh poo poo no, I forgot that Tali was Juhani.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

chaosapiant posted:

I'm glad someone else pointed this out, because my thought of him way back on my first playthrough was, ok, so THIS is Carth and THIS is Canderous. The rest of KOTOR didn't seem to have any comparable characters though, thank good ness. Oh poo poo no, I forgot that Tali was Juhani.

I had to look it up to see if you were right but Juhani is voiced by the same woman who does Jack, actually.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Party Plane Jones posted:

I had to look it up to see if you were right but Juhani is voiced by the same woman who does Jack, actually.

I wasn't even meaning the VA, I just thought they were both "awkward accented females" in a broad sense. Good trivia though! I suppose Liara = Mission in the "childlike naivety" school.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I don't believe this has been posted here: The Complete Guide for Creating Custom Classes in SP. It looks a little daunting, but it's not that much work, and it's so worth it. Here's a few (incredibly broken) ideas to get you started:

• Soldier: Blade Armor | Bloodlust | Cain Trip Mine | Ballistic Blades | Armor Piercing Ammo
  • Infiltrator: Tactical Cloak (Turian Ghost) | Hunter Mode | Arc Grenade | Proximity Mine | Incendiary Ammo
  • Engineer: Snap Freeze | Overload | Inferno Grenades | Hex Shield | Defense Matrix
  • Sentinel: Tech Armor | Stimpacks | Annihilation Field | Reave | Warp Ammo
  • Adept: Biotic Focus | Dark Sphere | Reave | Smash | Cluster Grenades
  • Vanguard: Biotic Charge | Annihilation Field | Nova | Nightshade Blades | Barrier

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

I dunno, they're similar in general but as I recall Canderous was just fine with being on the losing side of a war because of how much the Mandalorians love and respect strength, while Wrex was really bitter about it and figured his whole species was doomed because of it.
Amusingly, Wrex ends up having more in common with Canderous if you include Obsodian's KOTOR2; both of them go on to become the leaders of their people.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

2house2fly posted:

I dunno, they're similar in general but as I recall Canderous was just fine with being on the losing side of a war because of how much the Mandalorians love and respect strength, while Wrex was really bitter about it and figured his whole species was doomed because of it.
Amusingly, Wrex ends up having more in common with Canderous if you include Obsodian's KOTOR2; both of them go on to become the leaders of their people.

This is precisely it. Canderous and Wrex are largely the same people and have the exact same character arc. They go from bitter disillusioned mercenary who tries to find reasons to write off his people as doomed and pretend they're okay with it, but in the end do their damndest to rally their shattered race to greatness once more.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Tremors posted:

Kaidan actually moves around the ship and talks to people instead of passing out drunk and staying in his room. He's also a much more versatile squadmate.

I really liked the short scene with him in the crew quarters after Jacob's mission where he and Shepard are talking about how the Cerberus scientists seemed like good people, how good people get involved with Cerberus, and whether the Illusive Man was once a good person or not.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
So I was doing a replay of ME2 and one weird little thing was bothering me. The original Kodiak shuttle didn't have a pilot right, just a VI? So at the end of Jack's loyalty mission, was Shepard just banging on the nonexistent pilot cabin to speed up and get out of the blast radius and assuming that a computer would understand?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Der Luftwaffle posted:

So I was doing a replay of ME2 and one weird little thing was bothering me. The original Kodiak shuttle didn't have a pilot right, just a VI? So at the end of Jack's loyalty mission, was Shepard just banging on the nonexistent pilot cabin to speed up and get out of the blast radius and assuming that a computer would understand?

"Hey we need test the reaper IFF"
"Ok I'll just take loving EVERYONE with me, laters"

Just go with it man. :v:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I honestly liked Mock Effect 2's explanation of it: They all went down to do Zaeed's loyalty mission under assumption of taking the Paragon route, and the rest of the squad blowing whatshisface's ship out of the sky. :v:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Low-quality footage of Annihilation Field Vanguard inbound. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaY5A3TR7rw

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Alteisen posted:

"Hey we need test the reaper IFF"
"Ok I'll just take loving EVERYONE with me, laters"

Just go with it man. :v:

Yeah, that still bugs the hell out of me every time I play it.

"I need my entire combat team to join me on a mission. No I will not tell you what the mission is"

Would the whole team even fit on that shuttle? That is such a lazily written part and there's no real attempt to explain why it happens, it's really annoying.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Guys lets go get some pizza and beer!

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah, that still bugs the hell out of me every time I play it.

"I need my entire combat team to join me on a mission. No I will not tell you what the mission is"

Would the whole team even fit on that shuttle? That is such a lazily written part and there's no real attempt to explain why it happens, it's really annoying.

They didn't know if they were going to be coming back from the suicide mission or not, so they all agreed to take this last chance to go TP the Turian Councilor's house.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Zoran posted:

I don't believe this has been posted here: The Complete Guide for Creating Custom Classes in SP. It looks a little daunting, but it's not that much work, and it's so worth it. Here's a few (incredibly broken) ideas to get you started:

• Soldier: Blade Armor | Bloodlust | Cain Trip Mine | Ballistic Blades | Armor Piercing Ammo
  • Infiltrator: Tactical Cloak (Turian Ghost) | Hunter Mode | Arc Grenade | Proximity Mine | Incendiary Ammo
  • Engineer: Snap Freeze | Overload | Inferno Grenades | Hex Shield | Defense Matrix
  • Sentinel: Tech Armor | Stimpacks | Annihilation Field | Reave | Warp Ammo
  • Adept: Biotic Focus | Dark Sphere | Reave | Smash | Cluster Grenades
  • Vanguard: Biotic Charge | Annihilation Field | Nova | Nightshade Blades | Barrier
Sorely missing the flamethrower in these example builds.

This is precisely it. Canderous and Wrex are largely the same people and have the exact same character arc. They go from bitter disillusioned mercenary who tries to find reasons to write off his people as doomed and pretend they're okay with it, but in the end do their damndest to rally their shattered race to greatness once more.
If I recall, for Canderous it's more an act of desperation, of proving Revan wrong, than a heartfelt desire to save his people from extinction (as it were). I don't think Wrex ever gave me the impression that he was "okay" with the krogan speeding up their own demise as a species, either - especially considering the confrontation on Virmire. Wrex is strongly invested in the krogan's future from the moment you meet him, but initially just doesn't see how/believe that he can make a difference.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Sombrerotron posted:

If I recall, for Canderous it's more an act of desperation, of proving Revan wrong, than a heartfelt desire to save his people from extinction (as it were). I don't think Wrex ever gave me the impression that he was "okay" with the krogan speeding up their own demise as a species, either - especially considering the confrontation on Virmire. Wrex is strongly invested in the krogan's future from the moment you meet him, but initially just doesn't see how/believe that he can make a difference.

Canderous and Wrex have fundamentally the same view expressed slightly differently (because their races are slightly different) at the start of their character arc. "That's just who we are, nobody can change that".

Both of them put on a tough guy act about it but the inevitability of their races demise is still something that eats at them. Which is in turn what motivates them to become Candalore and Wrexalore respectively.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Sombrerotron posted:

Alas, Flamer is one of the few powers that doesn't work.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
I kind of wish I could do that on the 360, but seeing how it chugs when you charge/immediately detonate, it would probably brick the console. Still, it is too bad they never implemented a similar build your own class feature.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Jeez, I started a new ME1 game. Only my second playthrough. First time was typical Paragon male shep. I'm trying to be a Renegade femshep, and while Femshep is pretty kickass so far, it's so hard to actually follow through and be a consistent Renegade! I've gotten some pretty nifty pistols by bullying some NPCs, but I just got to the Citadel and am terrified that my first Renegade action will alienate favorite characters from me.

Not to say I've been entirely Renegade at this point. I did let Ashley aboard the ship, though I highly doubt the game would have let me leave her. I'm definitely gonna play nice with Wrex. He's the best.

It's so tough, goons!

P.S. The smuggler guy right before the Prothean beacon gave up some grenades and then, through renegade dialogue, also gave up some type of advanced technology, but I have no idea what it was. Nothing is in my inventory that I have noticed. I'm an adept, so I was hoping for a better implant, but nothing. Any idea what it was supposed to be?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Kameh posted:

Jeez, I started a new ME1 game. Only my second playthrough. First time was typical Paragon male shep. I'm trying to be a Renegade femshep, and while Femshep is pretty kickass so far, it's so hard to actually follow through and be a consistent Renegade! I've gotten some pretty nifty pistols by bullying some NPCs, but I just got to the Citadel and am terrified that my first Renegade action will alienate favorite characters from me.

Not to say I've been entirely Renegade at this point. I did let Ashley aboard the ship, though I highly doubt the game would have let me leave her. I'm definitely gonna play nice with Wrex. He's the best.

It's so tough, goons!

P.S. The smuggler guy right before the Prothean beacon gave up some grenades and then, through renegade dialogue, also gave up some type of advanced technology, but I have no idea what it was. Nothing is in my inventory that I have noticed. I'm an adept, so I was hoping for a better implant, but nothing. Any idea what it was supposed to be?

I think it was supposed to be grenade mod.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Yeah, it was a grenade mod that buffed it up pretty high for that early in the game.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
I feel like it is the end of an era... My 360 will never again be hooked up or powered on. In the months since I bought my current PC, I've progressively re-purchased on PC those games I own on 360 that I might still want to play. I'd re-purchased everything, bar one franchise. Mass Effect - the games that made me buy a 360 in the first place.

But no longer! I've caved in a re-purchased the whole franchise and all of its DLC. It's a clean slate, y'all! Though part of me will miss the 16 ME1, 31 ME2, and 10 ME3 character profiles I racked up over the years. It is wierd to do an ME1 run without any of the bonuses you get from the game's various achivements.

That said, now I *do* have the game's on PC, is there anything I might want to know about beyond that gibbed thing, and possibly loving around with texture mods?

Edit: I will say that while for the most part it is all good (real 1080p, silky smooth framerates, fast load times, quick-save, etc), I do miss native controller support. But *MAN*, controlling the Mako loving sucks on PC :psyduck: Edit2: Also, having to unlock difficulty levels; highest I can go at the moment is Veteran :argh: (Though to be sure, that's just a facet of the 'clean slate')

magimix fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 12, 2013

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

magimix posted:

I feel like it is the end of an era... My 360 will never again be hooked up or powered on. In the months since I bought my current PC, I've progressively re-purchased on PC those games I own on 360 that I might still want to play. I'd re-purchased everything, bar one franchise. Mass Effect - the games that made me buy a 360 in the first place.

But no longer! I've caved in a re-purchased the whole franchise and all of its DLC. It's a clean slate, y'all! Though part of me will miss the 16 ME1, 31 ME2, and 10 ME3 character profiles I racked up over the years. It is wierd to do an ME1 run without any of the bonuses you get from the game's various achivements.

That said, now I *do* have the game's on PC, is there anything I might want to know about beyond that gibbed thing, and possibly loving around with texture mods?

I bought the trilogy on PC last time it was marked down in the hopes of trying out those mods, but they bogged performance on my machine down way too far. (Running Parallels on my Mac; even with a poo poo-ton of memory and processing power allocated, it's not great to begin with.)

For reasons I don't fully understand, ME games are very mod-unfriendly, and there isn't much of a modding scene beyond the happy ending mod. Too bad; so many things about ME3 in particular could easily have been improved by fans. Replacing Diana Allers with Emily Wong, for example, which would probably have been a no-brainer had Allers instead appeared in Fallout NV.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

epenthesis posted:

I bought the trilogy on PC last time it was marked down in the hopes of trying out those mods, but they bogged performance on my machine down way too far. (Running Parallels on my Mac; even with a poo poo-ton of memory and processing power allocated, it's not great to begin with.)

For reasons I don't fully understand, ME games are very mod-unfriendly, and there isn't much of a modding scene beyond the happy ending mod. Too bad; so many things about ME3 in particular could easily have been improved by fans. Replacing Diana Allers with Emily Wong, for example, which would probably have been a no-brainer had Allers instead appeared in Fallout NV.

Thats a shame. To be sure, I'm mostly in it for the vanilla experience, but it would have been an interesting change of pace to muck around with stuff on a 'non-serious' profile.

Edit: Also, the Origin client sucks balls. It is even worse than the Uplay client, and that is loving saying something! :stare:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

magimix posted:

Thats a shame. To be sure, I'm mostly in it for the vanilla experience, but it would have been an interesting change of pace to muck around with stuff on a 'non-serious' profile.

Edit: Also, the Origin client sucks balls. It is even worse than the Uplay client, and that is loving saying something! :stare:

Why do you think the email I associated with them is called originisabagofdicks? :v:

It really gets grating that you have to restart your computer if you put it into sleep mode while the Origin window was open if you want to be able to play the last game you had going. Oh, and having to re-buy all of the DLC for ME2 because the Bioware site has no means of reassigning the email you used.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

magimix posted:

Edit: I will say that while for the most part it is all good (real 1080p, silky smooth framerates, fast load times, quick-save, etc), I do miss native controller support. But *MAN*, controlling the Mako loving sucks on PC :psyduck: Edit2: Also, having to unlock difficulty levels; highest I can go at the moment is Veteran :argh: (Though to be sure, that's just a facet of the 'clean slate')

If you have a decent pc, I highly recommend running texmod because it makes ME1 look drat good.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
The most fun with the PC version of ME isn't even a mod, it's just enabling the console so you can drop Makos in the middle of the Presidium that can be launched 50 feet in the air, make Shep sprint all the time, and swap out your gender so you can have a Femshep/Ashley and Manshep/Kaiden romance in 1.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
...sprint all the time? :stare:

That would make so many sidequests not boring and poo poo any more. I must get these games for PC

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

2house2fly posted:

That would make so many sidequests not boring and poo poo any more. I must get these games for PC

Not being able to sprint all the time is part of the charm of the first two games, you heartless beast! Just like how I don't spend the first couple of hours in a new ME2 run trying to combat-roll :doh:

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

SubponticatePoster posted:

The most fun with the PC version of ME isn't even a mod, it's just enabling the console so you can drop Makos in the middle of the Presidium that can be launched 50 feet in the air, make Shep sprint all the time, and swap out your gender so you can have a Femshep/Ashley and Manshep/Kaiden romance in 1.

A bit of advice: The Mako doesn't have any Charm/Intimidate, so it will fail those conversation options. Because apparently someone foresaw the Mako having conversations and allowed for it. And of course, the best gender for an ME1 Shep is both at the same time. :allears:

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

2house2fly posted:

Just making a macros for "slomo" commands makes the games better. Nothing like 2 second elevator rides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

AfroSquirrel posted:

A bit of advice: The Mako doesn't have any Charm/Intimidate, so it will fail those conversation options. Because apparently someone foresaw the Mako having conversations and allowed for it. And of course, the best gender for an ME1 Shep is both at the same time. :allears:

Speaking of the Mako, I had my first major glitch out on the PC version, and it is one I never saw on 360. Got into a fight on a UNC (Xawin, specifically), and overloaded a dude who was right by the Mako. This detail may be irrelevant, but I do know that when I got back into the Mako, it rocketed into the air, and began to swoop and soar like the Normandy itself. While spewing sparks and getting increasingly heavily damaged :stare:

• Locked thread