Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\
What a tremendous rear end in a top hat. I would have turned into a cursing ball of fury. The wrongness of the sentiment aside, you don't touch other people's children like that. Or at all, for that matter.

"He'll get shot for it one day." If so, only because fuckwits like you exist. Please crawl back under your rock and die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

bamzilla posted:

I have a few Jujube diaper bags that I love but they're pricey.

Jujube would be my recommendation too. I have the BFF model, and it has a carry handle, a shoulder strap or backpack straps, so you can convert it to whatever works best for you at the time. I've used mine daily for 13 months now, and it's in great shape. It's also machine-washable, because all of those expensive diaper bags that say "dry clean only" can go to hell.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!
My husbands aunt is passive aggressively posting all these loving anti-vaccine articles on facebook, presumably directed at her son, whose wife just had a baby, and myself. Lots of "YOUNG PARENTS SHOULD TREAD CAREFULLY THERE ARE OTHER WAYS TO PREVENT MMR" and the like. This is generally avoidable, because facebook, but I have to go to a party next month to meet some uncle who is visiting from the states, and I don't know how to gracefully duck out of those conversations because she is really really vocal about not vaccinating and using homeopathy. Honestly, I don't want to go and bring my kid near her, but I don't know how to break the social obligation.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Dandy Shrew posted:

My husbands aunt is passive aggressively posting all these loving anti-vaccine articles on facebook, presumably directed at her son, whose wife just had a baby, and myself. Lots of "YOUNG PARENTS SHOULD TREAD CAREFULLY THERE ARE OTHER WAYS TO PREVENT MMR" and the like. This is generally avoidable, because facebook, but I have to go to a party next month to meet some uncle who is visiting from the states, and I don't know how to gracefully duck out of those conversations because she is really really vocal about not vaccinating and using homeopathy. Honestly, I don't want to go and bring my kid near her, but I don't know how to break the social obligation.

Kids are built in excuses for almost everything. If you really want out of it just say your kid has a virus and out of respect to the rest of the family you'll be staying home. You're terribly sorry to miss the event but it wouldn't be fair if everyone else got sick because of you.

On the other hand, social obligations suck and sometimes you have to put in an appearance and do things you don't want to do to keep the peace in a family. What's your husband think?

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Kids are built in excuses for almost everything. If you really want out of it just say your kid has a virus and out of respect to the rest of the family you'll be staying home. You're terribly sorry to miss the event but it wouldn't be fair if everyone else got sick because of you.

On the other hand, social obligations suck and sometimes you have to put in an appearance and do things you don't want to do to keep the peace in a family. What's your husband think?

It's sort of the kind of social obligation that we'd need a drat good excuse to duck out of. The aforementioned uncle only makes a trip back to Ireland once a decade or so, and we still haven't had a "meet the baby" party even though little dude is 4 months now. They sort of expected a christening party but we're raising him areligiously, and no one can be bothered to come out before 7pm which just doesn't jive with our schedule. I'm kind of hoping we can just do a pop-in and avoid crazy aunt and brother in law that hates me.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I don't know if it would work in your situation, but I've got it down with my mom when she starts on about something. I just give a half hearted "Oh...yeah?" and not ask questions argue or further the conversation at all no matter how much I want to.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Mnemosyne posted:

Jujube would be my recommendation too. I have the BFF model, and it has a carry handle, a shoulder strap or backpack straps, so you can convert it to whatever works best for you at the time. I've used mine daily for 13 months now, and it's in great shape. It's also machine-washable, because all of those expensive diaper bags that say "dry clean only" can go to hell.

The BFF is probably my most favorite one. Versatility and organization in it are great.

If you search Facebook there is a jujube b/s/t trade group where you can get them for much cheaper than retail in a lot of cases. May be something to check out.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

Rather than getting a diaper bag, I got a purse from Bayan Hippo on Etsy. I love it so much, and one of the coolest parts is that she custom makes each one, so you can mix and match as you please. I bought the Beauty Tote Bag but with the interior pockets of the Practical Nagy bag. Mine is grey with purple inside.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
edit: wrong thread

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 5, 2013

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

Lullabee posted:

Cloth diapers are nice - if you have your own washer and dryer and have the extra $$ upfront. It'll end up saving money in the long run but is an upfront cost rather than a monthly/every few weeks cost like disposables.

My kids a hassle to change and just about 6 months. He rolls and rolls and tries to play with anything and everything.

On a side note: I need a new diaper bag. What do you guys use? I can't decide if I want a back pack, purse or diaper bag.. They each have pros/cons.

I use a Kipling purse I got used. I LOVE IT. The strap is comfortable and not scratchy, it works as a purse and a diaper bag, it's water resistant, the zippers are so smooth, and it's super light when empty. They even make an official diaper bag that doesn't look like one.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'm looking for Convertible Car Seat recommendations that don't break the bank, but are still safe. We're going to have to buy one now, and then another one in a couple months. (One for each car) I feel kinda bad not wanting to spend $300 on a car seat, but we don't really have the money for that right now, but we need at least one new one.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Alterian posted:

I'm looking for Convertible Car Seat recommendations that don't break the bank, but are still safe. We're going to have to buy one now, and then another one in a couple months. (One for each car) I feel kinda bad not wanting to spend $300 on a car seat, but we don't really have the money for that right now, but we need at least one new one.

Can't help on a rec, we bought the Chicco Nextft due to its ease of installation but it was $280. I did want to say though that I think all seats have to meet the same standards of safety, the differences are in how easy they are to install and looks - stuff that doesn't affect how it protects the child.

We're going to be buying a Cosco Scenera soon though for airline travel, and they run ~$55 or so at Target.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Alterian posted:

Why do you need two? My husband and I move Chris' car seat between cars all the time, takes like 5 minutes.

I have the Graco My Size 70, at $180 it's not too bad. Not impressed with how hard it is to tighten the straps but at least adjusting it is easy.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

We have a Graco MyRide 65 and paid around $120. We were t-boned while my daughter was in one and it didn't budge plus my daughter was just giggling away cause I guess being spun in a car is super fun! (everyone was fine).

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We're starting daycare and they won't let us keep his seat there. My husband has to drop him off and I have to pick him up and it would be super inconvenient to drive back home and drop the car seat off and then have me go home, get the car seat, and then go get him. He has 2 inches to go before he outgrows his infant car seat so we can use that one in one car for a little bit and the other one in the other car.

We're going to have to go and try seats out this time. His current one barely fits in our SUV :psyduck:

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Alterian posted:

Check your local health department--I just found out that mine gives away carseats for free. You may have to get your name on a list and wait, but that at least would work for your second carseat, right?

My town also has a Facebook swap group just for children's items, and I have found a Graco MyRide 65 there for $40 that is within expiration, hasn't been in an accident, and isn't in awful condition. Maybe try that?

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
Just be warned that people lie their asses off about used carseats. If you have to do used, try a swap full of crunchy car seat advocates. I have both a $40 Scenera and a $140 (we used a coupon) MySize70. The straps on both are a bitch to tighten, but once you have them the right tightness, you can leave them there and just squeeze the kid out. I'd buy your cheap one now and then trade in your old carseat for a coupon when Babies R Us does their trade-in event. For the 2nd seat, go to Facebook to the Car Seats for the Littles page and post your car model, budget, and baby's size/percentiles, and they'll help you choose a car seat.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
If size is an issue, (as well as price), Graco MySize (or Size for me - they're the same but one is sold exclusively at babies r us and one at another store) is well recommended. It's $180, and the one were getting.

We're trading in an old stroller that we'd get maybe $10 for at the trade in event and using the 20-25% off coupon to get it.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
Alterian, we have two of these. The mister and I both drive mid size sedans (Saturn and Camry) and they fit just fine, forward and rear facing. The only thing is, when they were rear facing, I recommend having them behind the passenger seat unless you drive with your seat back very upright.

Bamzilla, that made me chuckle because my front end was clipped when Liam was about one and he thought it was a riot. As soon as the car went "thunk" and shook, he just erupted in fits of laughter and said "Mo'!!" No, no more car accidents!

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!
I'll be getting a Costco Scenera soon, $40 at Walmart with great safety ratings. I've found several reviews saying it'll fit in the back of a VW Beetle (what I drive) so if it'll fit in a bug it'll fit in your car.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

tse1618 posted:

VW Beetle (what I drive)

Old Beetle or New Beetle? That's a pretty important distinction.

If you look carefully, you will notice that the baby bucket seat prevents the passenger seat from going to its proper place. I had to ride in the back with the baby. (The baby loved it because she could actually see out the window while rear-facing)

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!
New Beetle, but not the new new type. Still very cramped!

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

tse1618 posted:

New Beetle, but not the new new type. Still very cramped!

Good to know! I drive a PriusC, very small backseat. We are shopping for a convertible seat this weekend.

Trekkie
Aug 6, 2013

Alterian posted:

I currently have two from Britax (http://www.britaxusa.com)

I spent about $169 on each of them at the time we bought them. Both children have been in them from infant to current age. My almost 4 year old is just about to switch to a booster, and my 18 month old has been in hers since birth and has been enjoying them.

I have flown with these checked as luggage. We've driven 1800 mile round trip from NC to KS with them, Stuck them in retnal cars, the works. Currently we have them in a 2013 Ford Explorer. They were originally in the front seat, and one in the back row. Was relatively easy to install (for my fat rear end) and easy to flip forward facing.

I've not wrecked a car (knock on wood) with my children in the car so far as safety I've not had the ultimate test. however I was able to 'llock em down' that you can't wiggle' them by standing in the car grabbing and yanking like crazy.

My youngest was in one at just under 5 lbs. She was born a month early. Since she's now 18 months old and fine we didn't have any issues with her being small, other than a fear of crushing her because she was so tiny that first month.

They change model names every year, so I can't recommend a particular one. The first one we got in 2009 was a 'convertible' and made 'small' because that one was an unexpect 'you can't have children' kid after we did IVF for my at the time 9 and 7 year old. So I had to cram the seat in the second row of seats in our Highlander until I was able to get the bigger car a year later (Ford Flex). it was the 'smallest' fully convertible car seat.

Feel free to ask me anything about them, they were easy to connect to the latch thing, easy to take out to clean. Aren't terribly heavy if you have to move them around.

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012
I have a Britax-B-Safe car seat also. Have used it precisely twice as a car seat because we have no car. It's easy to install without a base in a taxi which is why I bought it. Feels very solid. The straps are always getting twisted which is annoying.

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005
Diaper bags- also recommending JuJuBe. I have a Packabe and love it.

Cups- we have http://amzn.com/B005XTKIBO this one and I love it. It doesn't leak when it is closed and it's very easy for him to use. I don't like cups with handles though :)

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Hello thread, our boy Leo is about 9 weeks old, and a great little kid.

Sleeping was the usual challenge, so we've begun trying the Routine approach. Our book is called 'Save our Sleep' by Tizzie Hall, an Australian, I'm guessing it's a similar thing to the No Cry Sleep Solution.

The routine we're on is:

7am - Wake up and Feed

8:45 - Swaddle and Sleep

11 - Wake up and Feed

12:45 - Swaddle and Sleep

3 pm - Wake up and Feed

4:30 - Go for a walk or drive or something

5:15 - Wake up and Bath/Wash

6:30 - Feed

7 pm - Sleep

10:30 - Dream Feed

3 am (or whenever) - Dark Feed

7 am - Rise and shine!

Obviously part of the point is for him to get the hang of self settling, which he seems to be doing pretty well, and I think the timing helps with that.

I've got a few questions. Firstly, is this basically the No cry sleep solution thing or am I thinking of something else?

I'm skeptical about the scientific basis for the thing - as far as I can tell she has no formal qualifications, or even children of her own, and the theory seems to based on when she used to walk her neighbor's kid when she was 9. But it has been very highly recommenced by a lot of different people who swear it works a treat. Either way, we're giving it a go for whatever it's worth, it's not like there's a shortage of nights to try things out. And we were getting our arses kicked there for a while.

With your experiences, when did you start trying routines, and how long did they take to work? We're on our 4th night after starting at 9 weeks, and we've had 2 good and 2 bad. How hard was it to get them into the right rhythm?

How important is sticking to the specific times? If the goal of the routine is to get him to sleep from 7 - 7, can it work the same if you shift it an hour or so so he sleeps from 8 - 8 (for example)? How important are the times during the day, as long as it's book ended by the 7 am/7 pm? We're pretty much on the minute with our bits cos hey, may as well do it properly, but how much does it matter?

The main concern, however, is about milk supply. Now that the feeds aren't happening every 2 - 3 hours, my partner has noticed a drop in her supply, and is worried that it won't come back. Is that the case? She's still expressing obviously but for a couple of days only did it once a day, and the common wisdom appears to be that after 8 weeks it doesn't come back up. Any advice there would be most appreciated.

Anyway thanks for the time, and for the thread, It's been great reading. Here's a pic of the little guy:

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
Setting a feeding schedule that early absolutely can and will tank your wife's supply and have been tied to poor weight gain in infants. The first 12 weeks of breastfeeding is all about setting up the prolactin receptors for breastfeeding later on. Also, that doesn't look like nearly enough daytime sleep for a nine week old. Babies at that age typically nap throughout the day still with short periods of wakefulness, eventually becoming three naps.

And no, that doesn't sound like the No Cry Sleep Solution at all.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Scheduling feeding rather than feeding on demand will wreck her milk supply. Put the baby to the breast often. At least every 2 hours during the day at this point is normal and expected. Expecting a newborn to follow and maintain a routine for sleeping and eating is a recipe for making yourself crazy and ruining the breastfeeding relationship if your wife plans to exclusively breastfeed til 6 months and continue after that. .

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

skeetied posted:

Setting a feeding schedule that early absolutely can and will tank your wife's supply and have been tied to poor weight gain in infants. The first 12 weeks of breastfeeding is all about setting up the prolactin receptors for breastfeeding later on. Also, that doesn't look like nearly enough daytime sleep for a nine week old. Babies at that age typically nap throughout the day still with short periods of wakefulness, eventually becoming three naps.

And no, that doesn't sound like the No Cry Sleep Solution at all.

I agree that feeding on a schedule is bad, but he might be sleeping enough. My little guy is 8 weeks old and easily gives us two happy and alert hours between naps before we start our swaddle and rock to sleep routine. If we try before a couple hours he will just stay awake on our shoulder while we are rocking him until it hits about the two hour awake time anyway.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Was giving Rory a bath tonight and noticed he has what looks like prickly heat rash on his back :( I don't think it was there earlier today, but I'm not sure. He's not running a fever, he's sleeping a fair bit the past couple days but he just got his 4 month shots last week and is just now starting to return to his normal sleep schedule so I thought he was just catching up.

- No different laundry soap. We use Fairy Non-Bio
- He tried pears yesterday. No difference in poo.
- It's not hot in here, but maybe I have him overdressed? vest and a babygro.

Anyway, we finished the bath, I dried him off and powdered his back just in case he was just sweaty, dressed him in a vest, babygro, and light cotton sleepsack (his room is 19-20C), and after a bottle and some hooting he fell straight to sleep. I'm probably going to end up calling the doc tomorrow anyway, but I'm just wondering if any of you would have an idea what it could be.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
Hobo Erotica, that is a cute baby. :3:

And nothing you described is like the No Cry book. That book is about undoing sleep habits that aren't any good for anyone, and establishing good sleep habits to take their place in an incremental, gradual manner that doesn't lead to a whole lot of wailing and unhappiness on the part of the baby/toddler.

I'd like to type a bit on the difference between a "schedule" and a "routine". What you described is a schedule, even though you called it a routine. Schedules follow the clock. Schedules don't really lead to a whole lot of good things with the sub-one year old crowd. They're developing so rapidly, their needs and abilities change dramatically every few weeks.

As for routines, I am a huge believer in routines. My boys had basic routines pretty much from day one. The most basic routine we had right from the beginning was:

--wake
--eat
--be awake for a bit and do whatever
--sleep
Change diapers as needed.

Notice the lack of times attached to any of that. That is the difference. Wake up is whenever they wake up. They eat their fill. They have Awake Time for as long they can handle (watch for early cues!) Then they sleep for however long they sleep. Maybe one nap is an hour and the next one is two. Maybe this time they are going strong and awake for a long while, and the next go around they are face rubbing after only 40 minutes. Whatever. And every few weeks during a growth spurt, they will be more hungry and want to nurse more and longer. That demand is what ups mom's supply.

Babies thrive on routine, as in doing the same things in the same order all the time. Not on a schedule that requires them to sleep from this time to that time or whatever. I don't know how rigid you are actually being, but all will be well if you just roll with the baby's cues a bit more. If you are shooting for 7p-7a sleep, which is a reasonable goal, then put Little Bit down for a final sleep (with the bedtime routine) at whatever time their sleep/wake cycle for that day coincides with a reasonable bedtime. Could be 6. Or 6:30, or not till 7:30. It'll wiggle a bit from day to day, until their sleep is more consistent. Then every feed after that is a dark nightime feed until a vaguely reasonable time in the morning. By the time he's one, he could reasonably be on a 7p-7a sleep schedule, with a mid morning nap, and a mid afternoon nap. But at 9 weeks, that's not happening now. And there will be plenty of days that are wildly off kilter due to his development, or the phase of the moon, or the fact that it's Monday. ;) Just roll with it.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
^^^ Holy crap this is such an awesome post. It just nails it so perfectly. I have a friend who is pregnant now and was telling her over the weekend to ignore any advice (barring obvious safety stuff) that is too rigidly absolute, because the best thing you can do is read your baby's cues and adapt accordingly. I'm gonna send her this because it sums this approach up perfectly.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
My 2 1/2 year old toddler is still having an issue with hitting. It's usually in retaliation for another kid being aggressive towards him, either taking a toy from him or shoving him or whatever. The problem is my kid escalates it. If a kid takes a ball from my son, my kid reacts by smacking the other kid in the face. If someone is shoving him away from a toy they are playing with, he'll slap at them or shove them to the ground. It feels like no amount of redirecting, intervention, making him say "sorry", etc is doing any good.

Since his vocabulary is improving, I am trying to get him to say "stop please!" to whoever is harming him instead of using his hands, but that is proving impossible. Should I keep him on this track of using his words or is there another potential solution I'm just not seeing?

It doesn't help that many of the other families we hang out with don't do a damned thing about disciplining their kids. I look like the royal rear end in a top hat with the bully kid because I watch what he does and intervene while the other parents seem oblivious to the crap their kids are doing. I ride my kid's rear end to keep his hands to himself while the other kids shove him, body slam him, generally gently caress with him. Sometimes I wonder if I should lay off and let "kids be kids" and then my kid turns around and shoves the kid who is pestering him and I feel I have to step in with the punishment. I really do try to recognize and praise the good behavior as much as I punish for the bad, but it is starting to feel very lopsided.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
:bang: Use your words. Use your words. Use your words! USE YOUR GODDAMN WORDS! :bang:

I don't know, but Liam is the same way. I thought it was a product of being the second and having an older one to grapple with. Or it's a product of being two, who loving knows. I just keep at it, and I figure he'll get it. He tells Tim to use his words, so I know he kind of gets it at least sometimes. :3:

They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. This may be true, but whoever said that didn't have a two year old. I would keep intervening and encouraging the kind of behavior you want to see--other kids shenanigans be damned. I don't think a gaggle of two year olds can work things out themselves without intervention. If something particularly egregious happens, it isn't unreasonable for you to tell the other little one that hitting isn't nice or whatever is appropriate. Or draw their parent's attention to the behavior. Or very loudly (within earshot of Mom or Dad ;)) say that until little Suzy remembers that hands are not for hitting, we are going to play with someone else, and just withdraw your child from the situation for a few minutes.

Some days I feel like I'm going to parent the ever living HELL out my kids, by God, because I will not raise two jerks! I will tell them to behave nicely and speak politely until it sinks into their little block heads, or die trying.

And Papercut, :blush: thanks. Just hindsight and retrospect talking.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
I was wandering around Target one day and saw that Tizzie Hall book on the shelf, so I read the introduction. Then the first chapter.
Then I put it back on the shelf and walked away shaking my head. It just made no sense to me, babies are weird and fickle and you just have to roll with the punches rather than try and dictate to a small angry person.

In sad news, The Seahorse of Wonder shat itself this evening. I am grieving and planning to hit the store for another tomorrow. The boy seems to be sleeping fine without though.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
Has anyone here ever used the "tie chair" fabric things that are supposed to work like a high chair?

http://www.tiechair.com/

I cant tell from the photos, but it seems to me like a kid could still very easily throw themselves off of the chair in one of those. It looks like I might be driving coast-to-coast with a 14-month old, and I'm not going to have room for a lot of crap in the car.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Mnemosyne posted:

Has anyone here ever used the "tie chair" fabric things that are supposed to work like a high chair?

http://www.tiechair.com/

I cant tell from the photos, but it seems to me like a kid could still very easily throw themselves off of the chair in one of those. It looks like I might be driving coast-to-coast with a 14-month old, and I'm not going to have room for a lot of crap in the car.

We used one with my first kid, and it worked really well! I could throw it in the diaper bag and use it when there weren't any highchairs available. But, my kid is really disciplined at the table and didn't really squirm in his chair or anything. If you have a mobile kid, it likely won't be secure enough.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.
We use the My Little Chair for our portable high chair and we really like it. It has straps which helps with our wiggle monster, and we've never had problems fitting it over chairs at hotels and restaurants.

In action:

(7 months old)

(13 months old)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

vanessa posted:

We use the My Little Chair for our portable high chair and we really like it. It has straps which helps with our wiggle monster, and we've never had problems fitting it over chairs at hotels and restaurants.

In action:

(7 months old)

(13 months old)

I've thought about this cause I'd like to be able to carry it wherever without the bulk of a booster, but some of the reviews mention it's a pain since the kid can't reach the table to eat their food. Has that been an issue that you've noticed? I think it'd be especially handy as we do a lot of road trips and the booster takes up a lot of space in the trunk if we need to pack things for a week long stay somewhere.