Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Well I successfully completed my vicky2 austria -> mega-germany -> communist europe game. The price? Becoming history's greatest monster.

When we left off in 1905, myself, France and French Catalonia were the only communist nations in Europe with Italy about to fall to communism as well. Italy does go communist along with Portugal flipping at some point as well and myself forcefully spreading communism to Spain, Belgium, Denmark and the Dutch. About 1908 an international crisis breaks out in Ireland which I back thinking I can snipe Ireland away from the British by parking an invasion fleet on the coast before war broke out. When my fleet nears the British coast they discover that a massive communist uprising has broken out which is successful before the crisis becomes a war, causing Britain to cede Ireland to me and becoming the Commonwealth of Workers. Sounds like a pretty great game right?

Nope, I now spend the next 25 years ensuring the continuation of the communist states I've helped create by having to spread nearly all of my army out between myself, France and England. Why? Because between the three of us, a minimum of nearly a million Jacobin rebels are spawning yearly. My back of the envelope math shows that for the 20th century, Germanic communism was responsible for at least 20 million deaths from rebel armies alone. Adding in how vicky2 actually calculates pops, my armies actually murdered around 80 million people but goddamnit, Europe was red.

Now some of you are looking at that and realizing the number should actually be higher. However around 1920 I got some bizarre event that changed my upper house to appointed while allowing me to keep Proletarian Dictatorship as my form of government. So the communists were in charge of an upperhouse that they never made up more than 5% of but at least it allowed me to push through some minor political reforms that managed to satisfy my people's cries for democracy.

e: oh I also managed to secure Armenia's communistic independence from the Ottomens in a crisis and later they somehow also managed to grab Syria from them which I thought was amusing.

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."
I guess the demo isn't compatible with Linux? Steam says "Europa Universalis IV Demo is not available on your current platform."

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Nope, Windows only

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

RabidWeasel posted:

I think part of what should help prevent this from happening is coalitions, the new AI settings (you can basically tell the AI to assume that you're going to be a beligerent expansionist rear end in a top hat all the time and they will treat you appropriately) and the fact that monarch points are naturally limiting rather than allowing exponential growth as in EU3. The game is still going to be winnable, but it will be harder.

Also I see lots of people complaining about how easy it is to core & convert provinces and it really is if that's all you want to do with your points. But people are not considering the opportunity costs of that and instead just core & convert everything they can like this is still EU3. Don't be surprised to see yourself lagging in techs and ideas because you spent the last century converting the Europe into Scottish culture.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

fspades posted:

Also I see lots of people complaining about how easy it is to core & convert provinces and it really is if that's all you want to do with your points. But people are not considering the opportunity costs of that and instead just core & convert everything they can like this is still EU3. Don't be surprised to see yourself lagging in techs and ideas because you spent the last century converting the Europe into Scottish culture.
Also buildings cost 10 points of the appropriate type as well, so larger empires are going to fall behind in infrastructure.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
Why are people on the Paradox forums up in arms that Paradox isn't tolerating people manipulating the .exe file of the demo? They try to justify it as modding the game even though there is a post clearly pointing out that Paradox considers it piracy to play countries and past dates that were included.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

logger posted:

Why are people on the Paradox forums up in arms

I've helpfully removed any unnecessary detail and bolded everything you need to answer your question.

All official forums, even for historical mapgames, have more than their fair share of entitled children.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

logger posted:

Why are people on the Paradox forums up in arms that Paradox isn't tolerating people manipulating the .exe file of the demo? They try to justify it as modding the game even though there is a post clearly pointing out that Paradox considers it piracy to play countries and past dates that were included.

I've felt really sketchy about the whole thing and have avoided doing it because it feels so slimy. I'm surprised people are openly talking about it here. No wonder the devs stopped posting for a bit.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Dallan Invictus posted:

I've helpfully removed any unnecessary detail and bolded everything you need to answer your question.

All official forums, even for historical mapgames, have more than their fair share of entitled children.
The few annoying guys there are pretty funny. You always have those that think Steam is evil and out to control you through evil monopoly. And also DLC is a greedy scheme solely intended to rip people off.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Nope, I now spend the next 25 years ensuring the continuation of the communist states I've helped create by having to spread nearly all of my army out between myself, France and England. Why? Because between the three of us, a minimum of nearly a million Jacobin rebels are spawning yearly. My back of the envelope math shows that for the 20th century, Germanic communism was responsible for at least 20 million deaths from rebel armies alone. Adding in how vicky2 actually calculates pops, my armies actually murdered around 80 million people but goddamnit, Europe was red.

e: oh I also managed to secure Armenia's communistic independence from the Ottomens in a crisis and later they somehow also managed to grab Syria from them which I thought was amusing.

Someone at Paradox got a massive hardon for Jacobin rebels.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I've felt really sketchy about the whole thing and have avoided doing it because it feels so slimy. I'm surprised people are openly talking about it here. No wonder the devs stopped posting for a bit.

Yeah, I feel like I can wait for a few more days. I've even avoided playing the demo altogether.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Quite so. I pre-ordered ages ago, so I wouldn't actually gain anything that I won't get in two days anyway, but they gave us a demo on the condition that we only play 4 countries for 30 years. I'm going to respect that because I respect them.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

On the other hand, these Paradox guys are veteran PC coders -- they absolutely know what's possible with a little disassembly, some free time and the aptitude that their player base is disproportionately more likely to have. So, given a choice between spending time on a new build that was stripped of a bunch of content or implementing some simple nation and end date checks, they chose the latter, bearing in mind that the full game would, in any event, be pirated in a week or two anyways.

So while they cannot, of course, condone such behavior, I'm sure they're neither particularly surprised nor particularly concerned by this development.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
Hey guys, can you not fill my thread up with screenshots from hex edited demos and other sketchy uncool things? Thanks.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Gorgo Primus posted:

Hey guys, can you not fill my thread up with screenshots from hex edited demos and other sketchy uncool things? Thanks.

Has anyone been doing this?

Also hex editing the executable only gives you the 1492 start date and you can't even save so it's not exactly the full game.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
People have, and even still.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

Quite so. I pre-ordered ages ago, so I wouldn't actually gain anything that I won't get in two days anyway, but they gave us a demo on the condition that we only play 4 countries for 30 years. I'm going to respect that because I respect them.

For me, I haven't even pre-ordered it (A Lack of Funds happened to me :v:) and that's probably why I would feel doubly bad for doing it. I can wait.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I doubt Paradox is really offended by people removing the time limit. It happened in every demo Paradox released as far as I can remember. They must have expected it and they figure out people capable of editing exe files would be capable of pirating it as well.

But posting the modified .exe on the official forums has always been a big no-no, no matter what reason. (and seriously you shouldn't do that. What the hell?) I remember people hacking the exe for original Crusader Kings to play as Muslims and Republics and sharing it was grounds for a ban too.

edit: oh and remember that time when a dude uploaded his entire game directory to share his mod? :allears:

fspades fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 11, 2013

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
It's not like a hacked demo with no saves is going to stop anyone buying the game. Only a small minority cares enough to bother, and they only care because they're fans who are excited for a new game. I think it's pretty harmless.

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control
I'll be sure to post a screenshot with my GMG prepurchase confirmation if I decide to post any screenshots, to satisfy the backseat mods. As people have said, even the actual searching-for and finding the edited exe if not doing yourself is (slightly) more involved than the average pirate just waiting a few days and grabbing the game from any of the big :filez: places. Paradox doesn't even have DRM on any of their actual products, as far as I can tell. It's rather interesting that there are devs that post here, but censorship due to fear of offending them is bloody sad.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

fspades posted:

edit: oh and remember that time when a dude uploaded his entire game directory to share his mod? :allears:

Um, I think you'll recall that that version of Steppe Wolfe was a stand-alone mod. :colbert:

Steppe Wolfe is the best.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

mrg220t posted:

Can anyone tell me how does East Asia looks like especially China and Japan. Are they split up like in Divine Wind?
It's the same thing as DW. China with their factions and Japan split up into daimyo.

logger posted:

You can do the old switcheroo in /common/countries/ and that's basically modding. Hacking the EXE isn't considered modding by basically any dev anywhere. That's a crack. This has happened with every single demo of a Paradox game for as far back as I can remember, but we should call it what it is.

fuf posted:

It's not like a hacked demo with no saves is going to stop anyone buying the game. Only a small minority cares enough to bother, and they only care because they're fans who are excited for a new game. I think it's pretty harmless.
It should have been kept on the DL, if anything. It was reddit that busted it this time, so they made sure to disburse it far and wide. Basically anyone with a casual interest in playing another nation knows how to do this now.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

It's the same thing as DW. China with their factions and Japan split up into daimyo.

It's not the same thing for Japan. In Divine Wind Japan was divided into four weird blocs, now it's divided into a bunch of actual minor daimyo.

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

It should have been kept on the DL, if anything. It was reddit that busted it this time, so they made sure to disburse it far and wide. Basically anyone with a casual interest in playing another nation knows how to do this now.

I don't disagree that this thread probably shouldn't have had a direct-link to the reddit thread with a direct-link to the exe, but discussing it and posting screenshots from it and discussing the game play (which we are essentially doing, whether people admit it or not), whatever.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

rhazes posted:

I'll be sure to post a screenshot with my GMG prepurchase confirmation if I decide to post any screenshots, to satisfy the backseat mods.

I am not sure what that has to do with anything really, but if you must go ahead, I guess.

Edit: Hahahaha, I didn't see the censorship part, classic.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Gorgo Primus posted:

CK2 question for Doomdark:

In CK2 the seven deadly sins and how people respond to them make sense if you are Muslim or Catholic... but they make no sense if you are Norse or Zoroastrian. For example in Zoroastrianism the worst thing you could be is deceitful, and it's holy to be a glutton. But Zoroastrian characters treat them the same as Muslims do. Is there no way to make characters treat traits differently based on religion, and do you guys plan to patch in something to address this in the future, given that the pagans got a DLC and everything already?

I agree with this. It's a little odd to be getting piety for being chaste and temperate, and having vassals dislike you for your drunkenness, as a viking. Trait effects should really be localised to your religion (and maybe even culture) though I realise it would involve a lot of research/effort. I wouldn't be entirely opposed to paying £5 for a DLC that did this sort of thing and maybe added a whole pile of new culturally/religiously specific events though.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
No, I think the thread is slow because we've got 30 hours until the game unlocks in Steam and there's nothing left to talk about.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

ThomasPaine posted:

I agree with this. It's a little odd to be getting piety for being chaste and temperate, and having vassals dislike you for your drunkenness, as a viking. Trait effects should really be localised to your religion (and maybe even culture) though I realise it would involve a lot of research/effort. I wouldn't be entirely opposed to paying £5 for a DLC that did this sort of thing and maybe added a whole pile of new culturally/religiously specific events though.
There's a mod that addresses this for Norse characters by popping up events that give you modifiers with prestige and/or piety effects to cancel out or otherwise affect the values from the traits. Sadly, it's pretty buggy.

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.
The only way to play Portugal is to immediately start the Iberian Civil War. There can only be one. :black101: :getin:

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

fspades posted:

I doubt Paradox is really offended by people removing the time limit. It happened in every demo Paradox released as far as I can remember. They must have expected it and they figure out people capable of editing exe files would be capable of pirating it as well.

But posting the modified .exe on the official forums has always been a big no-no, no matter what reason. (and seriously you shouldn't do that. What the hell?) I remember people hacking the exe for original Crusader Kings to play as Muslims and Republics and sharing it was grounds for a ban too.

The best was when somebody at paradox hosed up and one website had the entirety of hoi3 instead of a demo.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

run DNC posted:

The best was when somebody at paradox hosed up and one website had the entirety of hoi3 instead of a demo.

I remember the confusion. "Hey uh, I don't know if this is supposed to happen but I can pick anyone and the game isn't ending."

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

I remember the confusion. "Hey uh, I don't know if this is supposed to happen but I can pick anyone and the game isn't ending."

Oh god, the Oh poo poo moment on paradox's faces must of been gold.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Ghetto Prince posted:

No, I think the thread is slow because we've got 30 hours until the game unlocks in Steam and there's nothing left to talk about.

I have something!

So in my CK2 game that I'm trying to complete before Tuesday I had Scotland (and Muslim Spain) successfully beat back the Aztec invaders. Once that happens I started getting pop-ups about an Incan-Aztec war. From what I can tell this is an event related to Europe beating the Aztec invaders.

My question is, will EU4's save importer account for the decline and fall of the Aztecs? If not it's not a big issue but it'd be a nice little touch.

Also, if the HRE exists in CK2 will it import over to EU4 even if it's not exactly like it was in the real world? The HRE in my game has pretty high crown authority and includes the Kingdom of Germany. It's the wall against pagan expansionism now that the Empire of Francia has collapsed. :black101:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ghetto Prince posted:

Actually it's slow because everyone moved to the EU4 thread...

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

axeil posted:

I have something!

So in my CK2 game that I'm trying to complete before Tuesday I had Scotland (and Muslim Spain) successfully beat back the Aztec invaders. Once that happens I started getting pop-ups about an Incan-Aztec war. From what I can tell this is an event related to Europe beating the Aztec invaders.

My question is, will EU4's save importer account for the decline and fall of the Aztecs? If not it's not a big issue but it'd be a nice little touch.

Also, if the HRE exists in CK2 will it import over to EU4 even if it's not exactly like it was in the real world? The HRE in my game has pretty high crown authority and includes the Kingdom of Germany. It's the wall against pagan expansionism now that the Empire of Francia has collapsed. :black101:

We cant know for sure how the aztecs will be handled but at the very least theyll be in a Western tech group.

And the HRE will carry over, yes.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Oh man, this is one of the reasons I love Paradox. Stories like this go to show that, while they are talented at making some good games, they're still schmucks like us that screw up on a normal level from time to time. Throw in them being relatively open about their bacon vodka hazing ritual and the stories of the early days (seriously, packing your own games? That must have been hell :gonk::respek::patriot:) and they come off as really relateable among other video game companies.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Finished my first full game of V2. I guess it didn't really go that well as I failed to ever achieve GP as Persia and finished just short in 9th. Wasn't even close until the only Great War broke out in the late 1920s and when I got called by both war leaders I managed to pick the right side -- with the UK and Germany vs. Russia, France, Austria-Hungary over Greece's claim to Ottoman Thessalonia. Didn't love the prospect of fighting both my immediate neighbors but managed to keep them from totally overrunning me in time for British doomstacks out of India to save me. The capitulations left me with only a few hundred points to climb but my economy had been ruined by mobilization, my army cut to a third and my navy destroyed.

Wasn't really a very interesting game as I spent most of it waiting out infamy, growing literacy and smacking down rebels but glad I finished one before EU4 at least.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

A Violence Gang posted:

Finished my first full game of V2. I guess it didn't really go that well as I failed to ever achieve GP as Persia and finished just short in 9th. Wasn't even close until the only Great War broke out in the late 1920s and when I got called by both war leaders I managed to pick the right side -- with the UK and Germany vs. Russia, France, Austria-Hungary over Greece's claim to Ottoman Thessalonia. Didn't love the prospect of fighting both my immediate neighbors but managed to keep them from totally overrunning me in time for British doomstacks out of India to save me. The capitulations left me with only a few hundred points to climb but my economy had been ruined by mobilization, my army cut to a third and my navy destroyed.

Wasn't really a very interesting game as I spent most of it waiting out infamy, growing literacy and smacking down rebels but glad I finished one before EU4 at least.

Ehh, just making it to the secondary powers is decent as Persia. The only really strong uncivs are Japan & China; Persia is probably the best of the remaining uncivs (not sure how strong Korea is), but, well, you've still gotta set your goals accordingly.

Currently playing the Ottomans for the (third) time. Doing well; managed to not only hold on but climb the rankings. Currently in the late 1860s and 5th place. In the middle of an enormous war between the UK, Austria & me on one side, and France and Russia on the other. We're winning, but by god, does Russia ever have a lot of men!

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
Someone's made a Tamriel/Elder Scrolls mod for Crusader Kings 2. Looks like it's pretty early in development, but it could be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
For anyone still playing Darkest Hour, are there any mods besides Kaiserreich and Hohenzollern that are worth a look-see?

• Locked thread