Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Picked up my pup's tug rope today and found little spatters of blood on it. Dog doesn't seem to be in any pain, had a look in his mouth and saw nothing amiss - is this just a normal part of teething?

Secondly, an odd question - is there any way to 'induce' pooing? After a few days he seems to be getting that outside is for peeing (save for when he gets too excited indoors) but pooing is another matter. Took him on a twenty minute walk today, then stood with him out in the yard knowing he needed a poo for another twenty. Nothing. Took him in, immediately he ran into the corner and tried to poo. I know he needs to poo, he knows he needs to, but he doesn't want to go outside. Is there a way I can make him go so I can reward him and teach him outside is best?

Thanks again for all your advice.

A tooth might have pulled slightly loose, but not loose enough to fall out.

Keep dog out so long that he has no choice to toilet outdoors. Running around off leash or on a long line will help get the bowels moving. When he does finally go, reward like crazy. Tether indoors so he can't run off and self-reinforce (poo poo in the house).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Any opinions on Bully Sticks?

Googling people seem to have split opinions. Not being digestible, etc. My 3 month old loves it, but if it's not safe I'll throw it away.

soap.
Jul 15, 2007

Her?
Helo (1 year old Aussie) started occasionally gagging last night. Not often, just one little hork every once in awhile like he had something caught in his throat. He seemed fine--not at all distressed and he ate well/pooped normally. He didn't seem bothered at all this morning and he came to work with me like normal, and was just as active and excited as usual. I got him home today and he horked once more and I really couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong, so my boyfriend held him and I opened up his mouth, thinking he might have some hair caught in his back teeth that was tickling his throat or something. I couldn't see anything so I put my hand in to feel the back of his tongue--and I felt something back there.

I called the vet and they thought that maybe it was just irritation from his Bordetella vaccine but I insisted that I had felt something and I wanted to bring him in. I guess they often have people bringing dogs in, saying there is something in their throats when there isn't anything.

So at the vet, she had the tech and I hold him while she looked, and she didn't see anything. Helo started struggling (I guess he was sick of his mouth being messed with!) so the vet sedated him, then pulled his tongue out (as I side note I got to see his tonsils and epiglottis and everything, which was cool) and stuck a light in his mouth. The vet still didn't see anything, and I couldn't see anything, and I'm thinking I'm crazy, but then the vet tech said "wait, what's that?" The vet got some forceps and pulled out a SEWING NEEDLE. From the back of Helo's tongue. I cried a little.

The vet said she was really impressed that we had found it to begin with, and that this was a first for her. I still feel terrible though.

I don't really know what the take-away from this is, I just wanted to share. I guess always listen to your instincts with your dog if you think something isn't right, because you spend the most time with them. Also, I'm really grateful I spent so long working on mouth softness and touching Helo all over because it really came in handy today. If I hadn't been able to put my hand so far back in Helo's mouth we might have never known it was there and it could have caused way more damage.

Anyway, that was scary and I know we're really, really lucky.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

soap. posted:

Helo (1 year old Aussie) started occasionally gagging last night. Not often, just one little hork every once in awhile like he had something caught in his throat. He seemed fine--not at all distressed and he ate well/pooped normally. He didn't seem bothered at all this morning and he came to work with me like normal, and was just as active and excited as usual. I got him home today and he horked once more and I really couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong, so my boyfriend held him and I opened up his mouth, thinking he might have some hair caught in his back teeth that was tickling his throat or something. I couldn't see anything so I put my hand in to feel the back of his tongue--and I felt something back there.

I called the vet and they thought that maybe it was just irritation from his Bordetella vaccine but I insisted that I had felt something and I wanted to bring him in. I guess they often have people bringing dogs in, saying there is something in their throats when there isn't anything.

So at the vet, she had the tech and I hold him while she looked, and she didn't see anything. Helo started struggling (I guess he was sick of his mouth being messed with!) so the vet sedated him, then pulled his tongue out (as I side note I got to see his tonsils and epiglottis and everything, which was cool) and stuck a light in his mouth. The vet still didn't see anything, and I couldn't see anything, and I'm thinking I'm crazy, but then the vet tech said "wait, what's that?" The vet got some forceps and pulled out a SEWING NEEDLE. From the back of Helo's tongue. I cried a little.

The vet said she was really impressed that we had found it to begin with, and that this was a first for her. I still feel terrible though.

I don't really know what the take-away from this is, I just wanted to share. I guess always listen to your instincts with your dog if you think something isn't right, because you spend the most time with them. Also, I'm really grateful I spent so long working on mouth softness and touching Helo all over because it really came in handy today. If I hadn't been able to put my hand so far back in Helo's mouth we might have never known it was there and it could have caused way more damage.

Glad he's ok. It's insane that with a needle jammed in it's throat it stayed jovial.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I have a poison ivy rash that I've been treating with Ivarest (http://www.drugs.com/cdi/ivarest.html). When you apply, you don't rub it all the way in. You end up creating a calamine "barrier" over your skin. Last night, I woke up to my dog licking the calamine off my leg. I shooed her off and went back to sleep, but I started worrying in my idle time at work today if it was harmful to her at all. If she hasn't shown any symptoms of issues 7 hours later (when I left for work), is it safe to assume that she's fine? The link I put up says that it may be "harmful" if swallowed by humans, but it doesn't really elaborate.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Goonicus posted:

Any opinions on Bully Sticks?

Googling people seem to have split opinions. Not being digestible, etc. My 3 month old loves it, but if it's not safe I'll throw it away.

IINAV but bully sticks seem to be more digestible for my dogs compared to other treats (rawhides, bones). Dex has been eating them regularly throughout his whole life and had no problem yet.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

soap. posted:

Get a magnetic pincushion. Or take apart an old computer hard drive and keep the rare earth magnet around when you're sewing, and for waving over the carpet later on. :(

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Quick question for you guys/gals. Occasionally when my pup is in her crate I will hear very heavy/rapid breathing. Almost like she's deliberately breathing very hard. When we approach the cage she stops and looks up at us like nothing is wrong. Her puppy energy never seems to abate and she doesn't bark like something is wrong.

Anyone else have experience with something like this?

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

cryingscarf posted:

IINAV but bully sticks seem to be more digestible for my dogs compared to other treats (rawhides, bones). Dex has been eating them regularly throughout his whole life and had no problem yet.

Good to hear!

crocodile
Jun 19, 2004

hey guys. i need some help..or reassurance..or something. i'm kind of freaking out.

i adopted my first dog yesterday and this huge adoption event that happens around here every summer. she's a 4ish year old pitbull/boxer? mix and she is a huge sweetheart. great in the car, at the pet store, around other dogs, kids, etc. she's stubborn and basically knows no commands but i know that can be worked on. the thing i'm freaking out about though is that i feel like i was kind of led on by the foster lady/shelter that adopted her out to me. she has pretty bad separation anxiety. the foster lady told me it wasn't "bad" and that she just "whines a little." she has the highest pitched whine i have ever heard. she sounds like she's being tortured and i can't leave the apartment to even check my mail or take out the trash without her screaming like she's being killed. i live in an apartment building and it echoes so badly through the stairwell and up the alley that i'm already starting to feel trapped in my apartment because i don't want to be that neighbor with the dog everyone wants to strangle. last night i left for a few hours as a test and kind of stood up the block a little bit to see if she'd calm down..and after about five minutes the whines seemed to get fewer and far between so we left..but when i came back she was still whining. she'd also torn up the air stop under the door and peed a little bit as well. i'm allowed to have dogs in this building but their biggest stipulation is that they aren't barkers..and she's not, but the death whine is almost worse.

basically this was my biggest fear about getting a dog in an apartment and had i known it was this bad i unfortunately would not have adopted her. i've spent the last 4 hours or so reading up on this, and i've seen everyone on here's advice before so i know the steps i need to take..i guess i just needed to get it out to people who might understand or sympathize. i know that i need to wait it out and give her some time to adjust but in the meantime i don't want all of my neighbors to hate me. i'm just super stressed out about this right now. :-(

here's the little stinkbutt being cute and sleepy and not whining

edit: i just got in the shower for the first time since getting her. she was sleeping when i got up and first got in but when she woke up and realized i wasn't there she started whining like crazy. should i call out to her to let her know i'm there or just go about my business and let her realize that i WILL be back. this is super overwhelming and i'm starting to wonder if i made a huge mistake :-(

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

I hear you man, I would advise maybe knocking on your neighbors doors and just trying to give the courtesy of "Hey, I got a new pup and she kind of freaks out whenever I leave even if it's only to take down the trash. I know it's going to be annoying for a little while but I'm working on it!"

It'll probably go a long way towards them being understanding vs. just some nameless faceless dude's dog howling away all the time.

E: Source - I just got a 3 month old, I live in a Condo building, and he's a handful. I got a knock on my door from the people below because he had peed on the balcony and it seeped between the wood getting on their chairs. Not much I could do besides apologize profusely and pretty much bar him from being out on it until he grows up a little.

poo poo happens bro. It'll get easier.

Bloodborne fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Aug 5, 2013

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003
THINKS HE IS BEST AT DOGS (is actually worst at dogs!!!)
^^^ Don't trivialize SA. Dogs with real SA can be enormously difficult to live with. That said, talking to the neighbors is a good idea to explain what you're working on.

crocodile posted:

Separation Anxiety concerns

You need to start working on crate training right away. Start by making the crate a safe, fun place for her to be. Do not crate her alone until this is a true statement for her. If the guidelines for crate training in the OP aren't enough for you, speak up and we'll get you sorted out. Once she's walking into the crate on her own and offering Conditioned Emotional Responses (waggy, bouncy, anything that indicates she's excited about what's coming), you can start closing the crate door on her. You only want to do this if she's okay with it. If she starts freaking out, you're going too fast, break whatever you're doing into smaller steps -- maybe you just reach for the door, or move it just a few inches, but not actually close it. Once you can get the crate closed with her in it, you want to work on the following steps:

• Stand up at the crate
  • Walk away from the crate, but within sight
  • Move parts of your body out of sight, but not all of you at once - use a door frame for this
  • Vanish from view completely for very brief periods, then return
  • Practice whatever your leaving routine is and then undo all of it (getting your keys, putting on your shoes, etc)
  • Leave the house for very brief periods

This is just a starter template for how to work through all of this. Use the highest value treats you can find throughout all of this, but you'll want to have 2 or 3 that work and mix them up from session to session. There are going to be times when you do have to leave before you've practiced this to the point that it's really safe or healthy for you to leave. Before you do this, get her as tired as possible - if she's sleepy she has less energy to spend freaking out. Give her a long-lasting treat toy like a frozen kong to work on while you're gone and try to keep your absence as short as you can. Bear in mind that this is something that can take months of continuous work to deal with, so you may be in for a long, rough ride. If you don't think that you can handle that, you may want to think about re-homing. If you're up for it, I, and I'm sure others here, will help as best we can.

crocodile
Jun 19, 2004

i really, sincerely, appreciate your guys' replies. i'll be getting a crate from a friend here as soon as i can get over there. until then my boss has let me borrow a thunder shirt and i'm going to see if that helps even a little bit. i'm putting it on her and showering her with affection and pets and scratches so hopefully she starts to associate it with Good Things.

in the mean time i have spoken to my direct neighbor, but not the two people who live above me. i have a friend who lives one floor above and across the stairwell who said she can hear it in her apartment but it's not terrible. i had her text with me this morning and she said after about ten minutes the whining started to get more intermittent but then she went to work. the neighbor i spoke to seems to understand and is willing to give it a few weeks to see if it gets better, and to also let me know how long she keeps going when i first leave/if it starts to get better. when i got home from work today (~7hrs) she was no longer whining but i don't think she left the door since i left. i ignored her until she calmed down and then got in the shower...when she lost it all over again. i kept ignoring her and just went about my business until she calmed down again, then tried to treat her but she didn't seem interested. it's hard but i understand that's for the best.

the hardest part i'm having with treating her and giving her high value stuff is that...nothing seems to be high value to her. except her person and her ball..and she won't play with the ball unless a person is there to play with it. i don't think she really understands other toys (she won't play with the squeaky, or the stuffed animal, or the rope tug..anything really). i have an assortment of treats that were either gifts or ones i bought..the one she seems to love most is some ziwipeak stuff but it's 50/50 on whether or not she'll even take it. i let her try some peanut butter which she seemed to like..but she completely ignores the kong..didn't touch it once today. i need to go buy some cheese and maybe try that out..i've never met a dog who didn't like cheese so there's hope.

another thing that worries me, and this may be completely off mark but i have seen people talk about it before, was that at some point in her life she was crated or chained up and ruined her teeth really badly trying to escape. all of her canine teeth are flattened/broken and she is missing or has broken a few of her other teeth. she doesn't seem to be in pain, she lets me touch her mouth and her paws and stuff with no problem, but i need to take her to the vet to figure it out for sure. i guess i'll find out when i do get her around a crate whether or not she's able to handle it.

i'm really sorry for the wall of text but this is the first time i've had to deal with anything like this and it is very stressful. i've been worrying myself sick and crying like a little baby about it all. i know that it takes baby steps and i've been doing what i can to make short trips of varying lengths and coming back and pretending like nothing even happened. tonight i'm going to take her to the dog park and wear her the gently caress out and then come home, head up to my friends place for 20 or 30min just to gauge how she reacts..sigh.

thanks again and i'll let you guys know how it goes when i get her a crate.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I sifted through 5 pages and couldn't find a small questions thread and I didn't want to poo poo up this subforum with something so dumb. So I have a quick question; Yesterday I gave my dog her heartworm chewable and a few hours later she sort of barfed. not really like a big puke, more just like a baby spitting up, but I think I could see the heartworm chewy in there. Is it safe to give her another? What should I do now?

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003
THINKS HE IS BEST AT DOGS (is actually worst at dogs!!!)

crocodile posted:

:words:
You may or may not have a shift key on your keyboard. In the event that you do, please don't ignore it. There are lots of treats that you haven't tried yet, so it's too soon to claim that she's not motivated by food. Try cheese, roast or boiled chicken, hamburger, steak, carrots, whatever. There is information in the OP about what is and isn't safe to give to dogs.

HollisBrown posted:

I sifted through 5 pages and couldn't find a small questions thread and I didn't want to poo poo up this subforum with something so dumb. So I have a quick question; Yesterday I gave my dog her heartworm chewable and a few hours later she sort of barfed. not really like a big puke, more just like a baby spitting up, but I think I could see the heartworm chewy in there. Is it safe to give her another? What should I do now?
Call and ask your vet, they should answer this question for free over the phone. The question you're asking is toeing the line of the vet advice rules, so you may not get an answer, but it also depends upon the medication in question and the health and weight of your dog. They will probably tell you it's safe to give a second one, but only your vet is qualified to say for sure.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Any recommended brushes for a Lab/Retriever mix? The one we got from the store terrifies our little pup. One brush and she goes into her crate.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Probably just need a curry comb. Zoom Grooms are pretty good. When I brush my dogs I have a whole routine - I grab some kibble in a cup and I use it to reward the dog for sitting, staying, standing, whatever. Sometimes if I'm having a rough time of things I'll just grab a handful of food and hold it on the dog's nose so they're too preoccupied with that to care about what I'm doing. My dogs will accept being groomed wonderfully... as long as they're getting kibble every 10-30 seconds. When they know no food is en route they'll fidget more.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

a life less posted:

Probably just need a curry comb. Zoom Grooms are pretty good. When I brush my dogs I have a whole routine - I grab some kibble in a cup and I use it to reward the dog for sitting, staying, standing, whatever. Sometimes if I'm having a rough time of things I'll just grab a handful of food and hold it on the dog's nose so they're too preoccupied with that to care about what I'm doing. My dogs will accept being groomed wonderfully... as long as they're getting kibble every 10-30 seconds. When they know no food is en route they'll fidget more.

Will those brushes get most of the loose hair out? They seem to have very spaced our bristles. I'm used to using a Furminator for my cat so I could just be biased.

MuffinShark
Sep 9, 2010
I recently picked up a 2 year old Chihuahua mix at the local shelter. The dog has become very attached to me over the last couple of months and we have become good buddies. However, he constantly snaps at my roommate randomly when he goes to pet him and it didn't start until recently (around the time he started to get really attached to me).

If I am petting him and then stop and then my roommate goes to give him a pat on the head he'll snarl his teeth and lunge. He will also snap at either of us if he is sitting on the couch and we go to move him.

Last night he jumped on my roommates lap while he was sitting at his desk (something I'm working on training him not to do) and when my roommate went to put him on the floor he bit my roommate in 4 different places on his hand leaving pretty big gashes.

I've searched online and have tried a bunch of different stuff that seems to have only made the problem worse. One of the issues is I can't quite figure out if the aggression is dominance related, anxiety, or if he is overly protective of me.

Any suggestions?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Recently my 6mo old Lab/Shepherd mix has started showing possessiveness over toys/balls when we're at the dog park. At home he's fine with me taking toys right out of his mouth (not that I do it often). But at the park, he'll be happily playing with a toy one moment, but if a dog approaches him he either snarls, barks or nips at them. They are almost never his toys either, lots of people bring in balls and ropes and just leave them for other dogs to play with. When he does act possessive I usually step in, take the toy away from him and give it to the other dog.

Is this the right way to handle it? I don't really know any other dogs I could 'practice' this with at home.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

MuffinShark posted:

I recently picked up a 2 year old Chihuahua mix at the local shelter. The dog has become very attached to me over the last couple of months and we have become good buddies. However, he constantly snaps at my roommate randomly when he goes to pet him and it didn't start until recently (around the time he started to get really attached to me).

If I am petting him and then stop and then my roommate goes to give him a pat on the head he'll snarl his teeth and lunge. He will also snap at either of us if he is sitting on the couch and we go to move him.

Last night he jumped on my roommates lap while he was sitting at his desk (something I'm working on training him not to do) and when my roommate went to put him on the floor he bit my roommate in 4 different places on his hand leaving pretty big gashes.

I've searched online and have tried a bunch of different stuff that seems to have only made the problem worse. One of the issues is I can't quite figure out if the aggression is dominance related, anxiety, or if he is overly protective of me.

Any suggestions?

It's probably a mix of anxiety, underconfidence and resource guarding.

Tell your roommate not to pet him, and not to pick him up. Chin scratches only, and only when the dog is soliciting him for them. A hand over the head can be scary for little guys in particular.

For the lap and couch stuff, I'd get in the habit of feeding him less for meals and carrying treats. Teach an 'off' command by tossing a treat on the ground. For the lap you can also just stand up and let him take care of his own path to the ground - that may incline him to think twice before jumping up.

Your roommate can endear himself to the dog by randomly giving him treats, even doing some small training sessions if he's up for it.

If the dog is posturing at your roommate from a distance when he's chilling with you, stand up and walk away from him. That makes it abundantly clear that you don't want him doing that.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Away all Goats posted:

Recently my 6mo old Lab/Shepherd mix has started showing possessiveness over toys/balls when we're at the dog park. At home he's fine with me taking toys right out of his mouth (not that I do it often). But at the park, he'll be happily playing with a toy one moment, but if a dog approaches him he either snarls, barks or nips at them. They are almost never his toys either, lots of people bring in balls and ropes and just leave them for other dogs to play with. When he does act possessive I usually step in, take the toy away from him and give it to the other dog.

Is this the right way to handle it? I don't really know any other dogs I could 'practice' this with at home.

Teach a solid 'drop it' and keep rewards on your body (probably treats) at the park. If you're just taking it away each time he may figure out that running away from you with it is a more fun game. I wouldn't let him play with the toys he scavenges at the park, since you know he's going to get obnoxious. If he grabs something just cue drop it and reward the crap out of leaving it alone.

You could also have him automatically retrieve to hand, but that's a bit riskier because he has the toy for longer.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

This isn't really a "new dog" question, but we recently moved to a new house and my older dog has stopped responding to calls to come back inside. She's used to the new yard now (been here about 4-5 months), and it's fenced in, so I let her roam if she wants to. But for the past week or so, she won't always come when I call her and I have to leash her and lead her back in. This has never been a problem in the past. I don't know what could have changed. Any tips? She's an absolute angel otherwise, but she's fairly headstrong. Like, when we tell her to get in her kennel when we're leaving the house, she always does it, but it's usually a bit reluctantly.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

New Leaf posted:

This isn't really a "new dog" question, but we recently moved to a new house and my older dog has stopped responding to calls to come back inside. She's used to the new yard now (been here about 4-5 months), and it's fenced in, so I let her roam if she wants to. But for the past week or so, she won't always come when I call her and I have to leash her and lead her back in. This has never been a problem in the past. I don't know what could have changed. Any tips? She's an absolute angel otherwise, but she's fairly headstrong. Like, when we tell her to get in her kennel when we're leaving the house, she always does it, but it's usually a bit reluctantly.

Is coming in usually a precursor to being kenneled?

If running around is almost always more fun than coming to you, there's not a very compelling reason for her to recall. I'd up the positive reinforcement when she comes back to you, either via treats or toy play, and make the first few minutes back in the house happy. You can scale back once her recall has been regained, but taper to a random reinforcement schedule that never drops under 10% or so.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Engineer Lenk posted:

Is coming in usually a precursor to being kenneled?

If running around is almost always more fun than coming to you, there's not a very compelling reason for her to recall. I'd up the positive reinforcement when she comes back to you, either via treats or toy play, and make the first few minutes back in the house happy. You can scale back once her recall has been regained, but taper to a random reinforcement schedule that never drops under 10% or so.

Sometimes, but not always- but that is a good thought, thank you! It was frustrating the other day because I was in a little bit of a hurry, so I was letting the pups potty before I left, but she decided to flop down in a sunny spot. The younger dog came back fairly quickly, but she wouldn't even look at me when I called.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Engineer Lenk posted:

Teach a solid 'drop it' and keep rewards on your body (probably treats) at the park. If you're just taking it away each time he may figure out that running away from you with it is a more fun game. I wouldn't let him play with the toys he scavenges at the park, since you know he's going to get obnoxious. If he grabs something just cue drop it and reward the crap out of leaving it alone.

You could also have him automatically retrieve to hand, but that's a bit riskier because he has the toy for longer.

I don't always take the toy away from him, only when he snaps at another dog for daring to approach him while he's playing/chewing on it. I will keep him away from toys at the park from now on though. I just wish there was a way to teach him it's okay for him to share.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Away all Goats posted:

I don't always take the toy away from him, only when he snaps at another dog for daring to approach him while he's playing/chewing on it. I will keep him away from toys at the park from now on though. I just wish there was a way to teach him it's okay for him to share.

Sharing is overrated, and it's hard to work dog-dog interactions in an unstructured environment like a park.

Even though you want him to make the connection 'snap at dog'='toy goes away', it's hard to get the timing for that just right, and there's always the chance he generalizes to 'another dog approaches'='toy goes away' making him more likely to snap at the other dog. It's a lot easier to work on resource guarding against people, and even that's a long uphill battle.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
I've had my French Bulldog puppy for about a month now, and things are going okay-ish I guess. Toilet training is still ongoing, he gets when we take him outside it's pee or poo time and goes immediately (if he needs to) but he's not quite getting that he needs to take himself outside/to the door if he wants to go. I guess that'll come with time?

I've noticed some weird behaviours he has though, and I was just wondering if anyone's encountered stuff like this before:

He tries to eat ants and pebbles all the time.

He loves licking the mosquito bites on my legs. They're closed (not bleeding/weeping) and there's no balm on them so there shouldn't be any kind of weird smell, but he goes for them. :confused:

The dog loving loves jumping up and down on the couch. He won't stay there or anything, just up, down, up, down.

Thanks for your advice, obligatory pic:

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Eau de MacGowan posted:

I've had my French Bulldog puppy for about a month now, and things are going okay-ish I guess. Toilet training is still ongoing, he gets when we take him outside it's pee or poo time and goes immediately (if he needs to) but he's not quite getting that he needs to take himself outside/to the door if he wants to go. I guess that'll come with time?

I'm hoping the same, mine pees right away and poops within 10 mins most times when I take him out and I'm getting used to the general times he needs to go. Some nights he doesn't even wake us up now. :iia:

He'll still slink away if I'm not vigilant though, which is 100% my fault. Ideally if he ran to the door and barked to go out, I would drop whatever I was doing instead of assuming he just wants to play.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well I've got a Black Lab/Retriever who just turned 4 months old. She has now finally able to sleep the entire night through without having to go out. She is also getting very good with going outside. Just remember don't scold her when he goes inside and treat like the dickens when she goes outside. It eventually becomes habit.

As for weird behaviors? My puppy will lick my pant leg for 20 minutes non stop. No reason, she just loves the texture.

She will also hoover anything on the ground that she can find. That's probably the worst habit (short of random barking) that I am dealing with now. Once the puppy energy fizzles out though she is fantastic.

Obligatory puppy pictures. She's growing so fast.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

We've got a puppy almost that exact same age, and the ground-hoovering is definitely his worst habit. He's figured out that our bathroom door, even when closed, doesn't click completely shut because of foundation issues, and when he thinks we're distracted he'll run over and headbutt the door open and try to raid the bathroom trash for towels and toilet paper rolls. We've basically had to quit keeping a bathroom trash can. Thanks dog! When outside for a walk or play, he destroys anything chewable on ground level. He doesn't necessarily eat it, but he rips out all the grass and chews all the woodchips and branches into splinters, which is pretty impressive since he's in that phase of growth where he's only got like four viable teeth. I guess he just uses them really effectively. That said, he doesn't destroy or chew anything else indoors that we've trained him not to with the exception of the bathroom thing, which is pretty awesome (or maybe just really lucky).

But yeah, they grow fast at this age. Here's Jax:

but full disclosure most of the time he looks more like this:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
One of my cousins found this little thing abandoned and I'm not sure if it's old enough for Purina puppy chow or if there's something different we should do to feed him/her.
Help me help this pup dogge!

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
It looks somewhere in the vicinity of 4-5 weeks, but those pics are blurry. Nothing should be fed Purina anything; take a look at the nutrition thread and pick a non-terrible-but-still-cheap brand like Blue Buffalo, Wellness CORE, Taste of the Wild, etc. Provide 3-4 very small meals a day (like, a 1/4 cup each time) of mixed water, kibble and a tablespoon of wet canned food.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Captain Foxy posted:

It looks somewhere in the vicinity of 4-5 weeks, but those pics are blurry. Nothing should be fed Purina anything; take a look at the nutrition thread and pick a non-terrible-but-still-cheap brand like Blue Buffalo, Wellness CORE, Taste of the Wild, etc. Provide 3-4 very small meals a day (like, a 1/4 cup each time) of mixed water, kibble and a tablespoon of wet canned food.

Thought Purina was a good brand, oh well. Thanks!

speng31b
May 8, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

Thought Purina was a good brand, oh well. Thanks!

As a good rule of thumb all of the heavily marketed brands are terrible.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Are dogs generally smart enough to not eat mushrooms? I've noticed a few popping up in the back yard, and sometimes we let our dogs roam a bit. We haven't had any incidents, but they sprout up so quick sometimes that I don't always survey the area before letting them run around.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

New Leaf posted:

Are dogs generally smart enough to not eat mushrooms? I've noticed a few popping up in the back yard, and sometimes we let our dogs roam a bit. We haven't had any incidents, but they sprout up so quick sometimes that I don't always survey the area before letting them run around.

No, dogs will eat the poo poo out of those mushrooms. If you're worried you should cull them before letting your dogs roam the area.

My dog just finished eating and pooping out a full sized sock. Never assume a dog is too smart to eat anything.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

speng31b posted:

No, dogs will eat the poo poo out of those mushrooms. If you're worried you should cull them before letting your dogs roam the area.

My dog just finished eating and pooping out a full sized sock. Never assume a dog is too smart to eat anything.

Ugh.. I figured they'd have some form of self preservation, but I guess not. Thanks, I'll mow them to shreds tomorrow morning.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

speng31b posted:

As a good rule of thumb all of the heavily marketed brands are terrible.

And those with small distribution and smaller number of clientele have far less oversight!

Strike a happy medium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

HelloSailorSign posted:

And those with small distribution and smaller number of clientele have far less oversight!

Strike a happy medium.

Yeah, more specifically, just take five minutes to do some research and make sure the food you're buying isn't crap. It's not really difficult.