Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
I tried to push start my sv650 today because im a retard that leaves the parking light on all the time. The loving thing obviously didn't start and i almost had an heart attack. Time to order a battery tender....

:rant:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
I tried push starting mine for several minutes and I just could not get it to go nearly as easily as I could the Ninja 250 I had.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Anyone ever go to bike night at the local bar? I don't drink when I'm riding so I never saw the appeal. Plus I'm not into the HD+leather vest crowd.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Yea, it's pretty much what you think it would be. Lots of shiny bikes, a prize for the "best" categories and drinking games.

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.
I went to the weekly bike night at Hooters one time and decided that it was a waste of my time. There were some neat machines there and a couple of decent people; but for the most part it was a concentrated mass of the worst types of poseurs on bikes. That said, I don't see anything wrong with going to a local bike night at least once to see what types of people it draws. Just park where you can easily get out before the drunks leave.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I'd expect that with all the folks together at a bike night, they could get some of them idling right, but just a lot of revving like none of the bikes run well.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Local bike night at a pizza place isn't bad. Not really my crowd, a lot of sport bike stunter types, but fairly friendly. Interesting random things show up sometimes, like a pair of early model Goldwing sidecars.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I've had my motorcycle licence for 6 weeks and I've done about 2500 miles already.
I just got back from a 3 day trip, after tossing the spent clothes in the washing machine and getting some dinner I start plotting the next trip in Tyre.

I'm gonna go insane this winter when I can't drive.

or get a winter beater..

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I misinterpreted what I was told, turns out my bike did probably fall onto the handlebar to cause that kind of damage. It would need to fall from the top of the truck lift/ramp, like at least a good 10ft directly on the bar. It's confusing because it seems the turn signal and handlebar are the only things that were visibly damaged, but I really doubt anybody would have been able to catch the bike and keep the rear end from hitting the ground. There's no visible damage back there, though. Man, I really wish somebody would just tell me what the gently caress happened.

Anyways, during my trip I saw a lot of motorcycle related things, ranging from stupid to awesome and some really...interesting gear combinations. Off the top of my head:

-Two guys in atgatt on an r1 and sv passed us during the day, we took notice cause the SV guy had a rad blue paintjob with orange rims. Four hours later, after sunset, came upon them in the twisties leading to Grants Pass, OR. We kept up with them for like two hours the entire way through that road, and they were really impressive especially considering it was utterly pitch black. R1 guy wheelied it a little a couple of times coming out of a turn and let it rip when we passed through a tunnel :haw: They had been riding for at least 400 miles once we all got to grants pass. Just as we got off the highway the sv guy nearly ran into the back of the r1, locked up and smoked the rear tire. It looked like they were continuing on, kinda hope for their sake they found a hotel or something cause they must have been exhausted at that point.
-A dude on a sportbike (first we'd seen in like a thousand miles at that point) at devil's tower wearing a new model dainese jacket...and a nazi helmet
-In a state where handlebar regulations were "not above the shoulders", we saw a harley dude pulled over by the cops on the side of the road. His ape hangers were so tall they were a foot above his head when sitting on the bike
-A lot of harleys on the side of the road, most after Layer Dans
-Middle of loving nowhere in SD, a guy in 1 piece race leathers on some literbike in a full tuck doing like 140 on the highway
-More trikes/bike trailers than I ever thought possible
-A hayabusa ratcheted onto the back of a camper like a bicycle
-A dude on a cruiser riding through a massive, intense hailstorm somewhere around crater lake

We also passed through sturgis when that motorcycle thing was going on. Three hundred loving miles driving alongside thousands of of harleys (and some victorys tbf), oh my god

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Being stuck in Sturgis is like my idea of hell.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

On my local motorcycle forum, there's some people who literally talk about meeting up at the beach and "posing". Ok, I can understand looking cool on your bike or whatever, but actually making the point of your day to park at the beach and look wicked awesome standing next to your gixxer just sounds loving stupid.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

A Proper Uppercut posted:

On my local motorcycle forum, there's some people who literally talk about meeting up at the beach and "posing". Ok, I can understand looking cool on your bike or whatever, but actually making the point of your day to park at the beach and look wicked awesome standing next to your gixxer just sounds loving stupid.

Welcome to motorcycling!!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Maybe you're interpreting it all wrong, and they're doing this:

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

I now want to do that

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Being stuck in Sturgis is like my idea of hell.
I went a couple years with my father when we had Harleys. It was a fun trip once, in spite of the noise. The second time, I remember thinking "I dislike almost all of these people and it's 102 degrees and not even the women or the sweet custom bikes could make me come back again". He still goes once and a while even on a Japanese bike and I always look at him like he's mentally retarded when he asks if I want to go with. SD has some great places to ride. I enjoy riding those places on not the hottest week of the entire year and without being surrounded by unskilled people who are just there to impress strangers.

I did thoroughly enjoy the time we watched a guy grenade his engine while in stop-and-go traffic. He was obnoxiously revving the poo poo out of it in a manner that annoyed even the other Harley people until some merciful mechanical god struck it down. Everyone applauded. His girl got off the bike, gave him an awesome go to hell look, and asked for a ride back to civilization with one of us.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I've done Sturgis every other year since 2008. I have a great time. Everybody is on their best behavior and there's a lot of great riding around the area. Saw some awesome music performances and some terrible ones, too, there. It's simultaneously a quarter-million-man trainwreck and the best time I can think of.

In 2010, some dickbag on the loudest bike I ever heard pretty much revved Buckcherry off the mainstage. It was glorious.

Next year I'm probably going to loop Sturgis to Reno for Hot August Nights "on the way home" to western Washington.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
The old Bol d'Or 24 hour race, when it was at Paul Ricard, was just the most amazing place - the best description is like a music festival but with bikes. Apparently it's nowhere near as much fun since it moved to Le Mans because there's proper hotels and stuff all around rather than very dodgy camping grounds which just encouraged everyone to stay up the whole 24 hours.

I must get round to going to the Dutch TT one year too, because the ride-out from that, with >40,000 bikes hitting the same motorway at the same time, is meant to be one of the truly great biking experiences.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The old Bol d'Or 24 hour race, when it was at Paul Ricard, was just the most amazing place - the best description is like a music festival but with bikes. Apparently it's nowhere near as much fun since it moved to Le Mans because there's proper hotels and stuff all around rather than very dodgy camping grounds which just encouraged everyone to stay up the whole 24 hours.

I must get round to going to the Dutch TT one year too, because the ride-out from that, with >40,000 bikes hitting the same motorway at the same time, is meant to be one of the truly great biking experiences.

I don't know about the 24hrs of LeMans for bikes, but what you're describing is pretty much my experience with the car race.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Barfolemew posted:

I tried to push start my sv650 today because im a retard that leaves the parking light on all the time. The loving thing obviously didn't start and i almost had an heart attack. Time to order a battery tender....

:rant:

Done that with my modified Hayabusa. Even with a slight hill, a helping push and the know-how to run along side and jump on, yeah, nar, that poo poo ain't happening. Rear wheel would just compression lock and I'd skid to a stop no matter which gear I chose. Didn't help it was in the middle of an Australian summer too.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Any one got any good stories to share about loving over craiglist scammers? Or loving with craiglist scammers? Basically, gently caress scammers.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I posted a busted old vehicle for sale. A young local insurance agent started texting me things like, "Saw your ad. Want to talk to you about insurance for your next ride." I replied and told him to piss off if it wasn't about buying the car. He said it was "all just business promotion" and I wouldn't understand. Things escalated to the point that he started listing $100 iPads with my phone number in the ads. Thank heavens for GoogleVoice.

It was idiotic, but after I called the national number for his insurance agency, his photo quickly disappeared from their website.

edit:thought this was Craigslist Gold..

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 13, 2013

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's something alright! Also most police I've ever saw in one place, but then again I'm not a fastival kind of guy so maybe it was pretty mild comparably.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Went to clean my chain today and noticed the clip was missing. Got super lucky I found out before going for a night ride.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

astrollinthepork posted:

Went to clean my chain today and noticed the clip was missing. Got super lucky I found out before going for a night ride.

Might I interest you in...a rivet-type master link?

edit: also, just before coming home I nearly bloody lost it at parking lot speeds. Leaving a work function thing and it's pissing down with rain, I calmly shifted into second and discovered that those brown tessalating tiles are an incredibly poor choice of road surface for a roundabout. Luckily my hopeless reflexes meant that I just stayed on the gas with only enough time for a mental 'oh fu-' before the bike sorted itself out. I can't imagine the disaster which would have befallen me had I snapped the throttle shut or attempted to do something else.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Aug 13, 2013

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Ehh it's the PO's job, not mine. I have a theory that it came off while cleaning it. The rag I was using caught on something, and that was probably the clip.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Slavvy posted:

Might I interest you in...a rivet-type master link?

edit: also, just before coming home I nearly bloody lost it at parking lot speeds. Leaving a work function thing and it's pissing down with rain, I calmly shifted into second and discovered that those brown tessalating tiles are an incredibly poor choice of road surface for a roundabout. Luckily my hopeless reflexes meant that I just stayed on the gas with only enough time for a mental 'oh fu-' before the bike sorted itself out. I can't imagine the disaster which would have befallen me had I snapped the throttle shut or attempted to do something else.

Soon that reaction will be the norm, and little slides like that will just be a bit of fun. I used to be terrified of losing traction, but the more I've done it, the more I've realized that the bike tends to sort itself out as long as you don't give it crazy inputs.

I went out after a rainstorm and hit the backroads a few weeks ago and had a couple front wheel slides that were pretty fun. You just feel it go loose and the bars move a bit and then *bam*, it grabs on and off you go. Right after those once I came around a turn to wet road with grass in it, that one was less fun. It slid for what seemed like forever and I was waiting for a crash, then it hooked back up at the last second and I let out a hell of a 'whoop' before calming my ride down from a 6 to a 2.

Also clips aren't all bad. I just put a clip link on the 250 cause I don't have a chain press and, well, 250. Anything I can do to secure it on tho? A bit of silicon maybe, I think echomadman suggested?b

nsaP fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 13, 2013

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Snowdens Secret posted:

1) Thats a red harley, not a Salmon Pink Harley
2)
A much better bike for Char

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I haven't ridden a bike in a little over three weeks - pretty much going insane. This poo poo sucks. :(

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

I haven't ridden a bike in a little over three weeks - pretty much going insane. This poo poo sucks. :(

Are you still hurting? Didn't you buy a streetfighter-type bike?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm approaching three weeks too, and it'll probably be even longer than that cause I have to wait for the shitbird evaluator to come, evaluate the damage, argue about their lowballing, get it to a shop, etc etc... I wish I could just fix it myself, but that's not how it works with moving claims apparently.

It's just sitting there, and the weather's been not too awful (which is huge in the dc area). :sigh:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BlackMK4 posted:

Same, bike has been parked since July 25th due to being sick and super slow recovery. Weather has been great and I'm going nuts, so used to riding every day.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
Likewise, bike isn't back from the shop because some eejit didn't tell the mechanic he had massively overtorqued steel screws on his SV, so it's holding everyone else's back. I miss getting called a dickhead from the coworkers whose bus I filtered by :(

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Ah crap.

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2008/11/24/motorcycle-news/motorcycles-linked-to-impotence/

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
What's that, a laughably small-scale observational study has found a tenuous link between cancer SIDS Alzheimer's erectile disfunction because of coffee fat sugar motorcycles without taking into account any sociological factors!?

poo poo, ban motorcycles, ban them now! :derp:

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Aug 16, 2013

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Correlation doesn't imply causation.

We're all going to die of something sooner or later, why not something that we love?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

This isn't something skewed by people whose dicks don't work running out and buying massive Harleys at all.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The link is 5 years old, and if you can't figure out wearing super-tight pants, squatting and getting socked in the jimmies non-stop for hours isn't good for your manlance (or if you can't figure out who does exactly that and when) then I dunno what to tell you

Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why
I thought we were buying motorbikes to compensate for our penises in the first place, so isn't it a moot point? :ohdear:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

The link is 5 years old, and if you can't figure out wearing super-tight pants, squatting and getting socked in the jimmies non-stop for hours isn't good for your manlance (or if you can't figure out who does exactly that and when) then I dunno what to tell you

When I was buying my first pair of cycling shorts last month, I noticed in one of the Amazon reviews that a motorcyclist swore by them for making riding long distances a lot more comfortable (makes sense, given the extra padding down there). My seat is actually fine as far as I'm concerned, but I've thought about trying out the cycling shorts just to see how it feels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

M42 posted:

I'm approaching three weeks too, and it'll probably be even longer than that cause I have to wait for the shitbird evaluator to come, evaluate the damage, argue about their lowballing, get it to a shop, etc etc... I wish I could just fix it myself, but that's not how it works with moving claims apparently.

It's just sitting there, and the weather's been not too awful (which is huge in the dc area). :sigh: Bike sitting there... mocking you. :suicide:
I think that's worse than what I'm looking at, I'm sorry. :(

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Are you still hurting? Didn't you buy a streetfighter-type bike?
I'm so-so now and I'm back into a 5x5 gym routine since I took a year off of working out... I think that'll help a lot since I went from extremely fit to adding 10lbs over the past year. I have a 2000 R1 in my garage that needs a motor, takeoff tires, chain/sprockets, and some loving but I don't have $1500-$2000 that I am willing to dump until I have my DD completely caught up maintenance wise. Slow season at work until October too so income has kinda been cut in half.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Aug 16, 2013