Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Endorph posted:

It's cyber, but it's not punk. Cyberpunk generally focuses on seedy backalleys and characters who live on the margins of society and all that good poo poo. The word 'cyberpunk' evokes a certain image that Time of Eve is almost the complete opposite of.
A common term for cyberpunk without the marginalized main character is postcyberpunk. To distinguish this from classic cyberpunk.
But postcyberpunk normally even includes GitS, because the main characters are not underground rebells, but cops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

Now I desperately want someone to do a perfect adaptation of Gibson's Bridge trilogy. Production IG or Madhouse would be perfect for Idoru and All Tomorrow's Parties.
Starring Hatsune Miku as Rei Toei! :v:

I'd be happy either with an animated show or a live action HBO miniseries really. Just seeing a well realized version of the Golden Gate bridge as a version of Kowloon Walled City would be wonderful.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

a kitten posted:

Starring Hatsune Miku as Rei Toei! :v:

I'd be happy either with an animated show or a live action HBO miniseries really. Just seeing a well realized version of the Golden Gate bridge as a version of Kowloon Walled City would be wonderful.
Had to look up Hatsune Miku - weird how in principle she seems like a proto-Rei, but in another way nothing like how Rei is symbolic of the essence of the zeitgeist. I could see some company creating a cutting edge, always-in-fashion Toei using Google analytics in 2030, though.

And, yeah, that is basically my dream anime/TV show. The Sprawl series gets all the attention still, and his Bigend series gets the literary plaudits. It puzzles me that the Bridge series is often overlooked in his oeuvre.

Hell, I'd watch an anime all about Chevette being a bike courier in future-SF.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'd say 'make a Bladerunner anime', but Hideo Kojima basically already did that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Holy moly Kimi Ni Todoke really is "JUST gently caress ALREADY: the anime". Considering how quickly it moves in the first three episodes, I was baffled how when someone told me it's almost entirely buildup, how they could string it along for that much, but they really do so far, 17 episodes in.

It's actually kind of amazing that considering how prevalent romance series are, that there's so very, very few actually good ones. Seems like there's at most two dozen good quality ones and then it's just drek or school-age status quo hell as far as the eye can see.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This is why my favorite relationship is Yukino and Arima from Kare Kano, who get together relatively early and actually develop as a couple. KK dropped the ball on a bunch of stuff in its second manga half but it got that first half soooooo right in this regard.

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs

tonberrytoby posted:

A common term for cyberpunk without the marginalized main character is postcyberpunk. To distinguish this from classic cyberpunk.
But postcyberpunk normally even includes GitS, because the main characters are not underground rebells, but cops.

Can't we just call it Sci-fi?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah so, to save like five hours, is the second season of Kimi ni Todoke worth watching for the secondary characters too, or does it dwell on the boring-rear end protagonists who Can't loving Say It Out Loud for its entirety and nothing happens between them/someone steps in to set back progress by ten episodes yet again?

I love basically the entire cast except the main two characters. It's an interesting problem for a show to have!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It's basically the same, the side cast does stay very relevant, maybe even a bit more so. If you're asking if they ever actually start dating the answer is: yes, it is pretty near the end of season 2 though, the manga has long since gone past that point now.

It isn't ever going to speed up however. It's always all about small steps, both forward and back, and individual interactions among the cast. It's really, really not about being a big rush to get them together.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm not really watching it for the two protagonists, but knowing that the side characters still play a big role means I'll continue into the second season. I don't mind slow, sexless romances, really(for example, I really liked the one in Lovely Complex), as long as they're competently done. I do mind when I see a given event and it makes me feel less "oh dear, that's good/bad(in a story context)!" and more "oh no, that means it'll be another 8 chapters/episodes before anything new progresses because of convenient shenanigans/mood-ruiner Jo!" I'm pretty sure Kimi ni Todoke's first season has at least three instances of "character is eavesdropping, but gets dragged away/walks away at precisely the right moment to completely misunderstand everything!" I know that's a common trope in series like this, but I was hoping since it's highly recommended it'd have less of that.

I am watching this show for the "side" characters now since they're way more interesting than the main pair. I was fine with Sawako's density for like 18 episodes but she doesn't seem to be getting any more aware or perceptive even by the end of the first season. Give that girl some god drat coffee. Meanwhile, I was really into the entire Chizu storyline that basically stole the spotlight from Sawako. That was way better done than the main storyline, and it seems to be continuing in the background even as the main one moves on at a glacial pace. When one of the major points in the first season's final episode was them holding hands, I laughed. I know, I know, I knew what to expect going in, but I really didn't expect to not care so much about the two main characters and hope for more "side stories" like Chizu's.

Basically, Chas Mcgill was right on the money with his description of it.

edit: what chapter of the manga does the anime end on, or at least when should I pick it up at?

edit: oh man, season 2 kinda rules so far. That new character is great. I watched a half dozen of the episodes since they're only about 19 minutes each, and it's way better paced(and animated) and more engaging than the first season, definitely picked up on all fronts, even the main duo are more interesting now(though still glacial-paced, but not obnoxiously so).

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Aug 13, 2013

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Captain Invictus posted:

When one of the major points in the first season's final episode was them holding hands, I laughed. I know, I know, I knew what to expect going in, but I really didn't expect to not care so much about the two main characters and hope for more "side stories" like Chizu's.

Basically, Chas Mcgill was right on the money with his description of it.

edit: what chapter of the manga does the anime end on, or at least when should I pick it up at?

edit: oh man, season 2 kinda rules so far. That new character is great. I watched a half dozen of the episodes since they're only about 19 minutes each, and it's way better paced(and animated) and more engaging than the first season, definitely picked up on all fronts, even the main duo are more interesting now(though still glacial-paced, but not obnoxiously so).

By the end of season 1, I was barely watching the show. I'd put it on in the background and do something else for a few minutes, then return to watching it. Even then there were no surprises.

I'd be happier with the romantic leads if they'd interact like real people who were interested in one another. Chizu's romance actually has history, communication, humour, etc. Its components have personalities that existed before and beyond the romance, unlike the main two.

I doubt I'll watch the second season, but it's good that you think it's improved.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I would say you should give at least the first half of the second season a watch, from what I've seen of it, it's like ten times better than the first season. It seems like the first season would have been better suited to 13 episodes rather than 25, really. There were probably 12 episodes worth of slow pans and such, anyways.

But yeah, second season so far is ace. The side characters still rule the day, the new character is pretty interesting and not perfect, too. Still don't care a whole lot about the main relationship, but it's improving! There's actual character development for Sawako, like 20 episodes worth of the first season's development crammed into half a dozen episodes in the second.

Pin is The Best and The Worst, and Jo ruins everything, his entire existence is literally to delay things through convenient interrupts. So terrible. I have a feeling with the amount of times he shows up so far that he'll probably ruin some emotional moment at the end, too, just because he exists to ruin the mood.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Aug 13, 2013

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Maybe I'll give it a shot then - it's not like I'm watching much else at the moment. It should serve as a nice counterpoint to Skull Man, which I'm enjoying more than I expected.

I love Pin. He reminds me of the gym teacher in GTO.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

Kimi ni Todoke

Whaaat? Kent doesn't even show up until the second season? Looking at the episode list on wiki it seems like I've combined and condensed the two seasons quite a bit in my memory. I also completely forgot that season two is only 12 episodes long.

The anime ends at Volume 11, Chapter 46.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I have to say I take exception to this notion of "the main characters are the worst part of KnT". Ayane and Yano are fun, but for me the heart and soul of the whole thing is Sawako. Now Kazehaya, yeah that guy is kind of dull.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'd like Sawako better if all the Sadako rumours about her were true. That would produce some real drama - how are you gonna seduce a guy if he gets cursed by looking into your eyes for more than 7 seconds?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nate RFB posted:

I have to say I take exception to this notion of "the main characters are the worst part of KnT". Ayane and Yano are fun, but for me the heart and soul of the whole thing is Sawako. Now Kazehaya, yeah that guy is kind of dull.

Sawako shows some real progress in the second season, and breaks out of her neutron star density long enough to make a few pivotal decisions by episode 9. And then Jo predictably interrupted everything which I saw coming a mile away, what a worthless character who just wastes time. Kazehaya, well, in the anime even by the end he's still kinda boring. Sawako's way more interesting by the end.

Finished the second season after typing the previous paragraph and it's way, wayyyyy better than the first. I can definitely say that the progression was much more natural-feeling in the second season, that there were maybe one or two not great episodes, but otherwise there was tons of humor and good stuff as well as plenty of drama, character improvement, and notably, someone finally telling Jo to gently caress off. Pin continues being The Worst(The Best) character, Chizu's story flows along well in the background, and it feels like the series ends just as Ayane might get her own Chizu-like story which is kind of a bummer.

And I do think Chizu's story was way better than the main one, Nate, at least as far as the anime gets. Her "I KNOW THAT!" in the final episode was perfectly done and speaks volumes to her character and relationship without spelling it all out. Honestly, she's my favorite character of the show. Sawako had some really solid progress in the second season, solidifying my belief that the first one really should've been cut down to 13 episodes, which would've made it as a 26 episode series really top-notch quality. There's seriously enough slow pans and still frames in the entire first season(as well as episode 9 of the second season, holy crap there must be 10 minutes of slow pans in that) that I could see it being cut down with minimal excising of actual content.

All in all, the anime was pretty good. The first season has a lot of really slow bad points, Jo, convenient misunderstanding shenanigans, Jo, way too many slow pans, and Jo, but the side characters are really great and carry it. The second season, almost every character is vastly improved over the first season, and the humor remains completely intact. Kazehaya and Sawako are less impenetrably dense, Chizu continues as she always does, Ayane oversees everything going on, Kent is just great(and then not so great it turns out!), yeah, the second season is top-notch. Definitely check it out, Chas.

If it really ends at chapter 46 of the manga, then there's a shitload left to go, says here there's 80 chapters! The anime only covered about half of the manga then? Jeez.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Accidentally posted this in the Attack On Titan thread, for MustelaFuro:

quote:

MustelaFuro posted:

Hey I have a request. I'm looking for a new anime to watch but I'm pretty picky about them. The only three series that I've really liked were Cowboy Bebop, FMA, and AoT. I prefer something that has a finite ending and doesn't drag on seemingly forever. Does anyone have any recommendations for anime that have a similar feel and quality to the three I mentioned?

Also, I hate that they changed the title theme to Attack on Titan. I don't like the new one. Were they written specifically for this show?
Do you only want action shows? You give three of them as the ones you've watched, but I'm not sure if you'd accept things other than them.

If you're willing to accept non-action shows, I would heartily recommend Usagi Drop(the anime, not the manga). It's about a single father who adopts his grandfather's illegitimate child after his death, and the struggles as he raises her from a preschooler into a young girl. It's heartwarming, dramatic, fairly realistic, adorable, funny, and does not overstay its welcome at 11 episodes. The ending theme is also ridiculously good and fits perfectly.

If you want an actiony show, have you tried Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex? It's one of the most solid anime shows both in terms of animation, plot, tension and especially action out there. Seriously, it's got some of the best animation you'll see in a TV anime. Best of all, Manga Entertainment has uploaded the whole first season on Youtube in HD.

Oh, right, Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Really. It's not some goofy space superhero comedy or something like the name kinda sounds like, it's actually an incredibly deep, analytical and political space opera that manages to be nearly flawless throughout its entire 2 movie and 110 episode run. It's really one of the best things I've ever watched, anime or not.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 13, 2013

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
^ Oh hey. Thanks. I've made a more specific request write up (because the other fella said mine was vague) and posted that too in the wrong thread. I'll post it here too.

I'm looking for a new anime to watch. I'm pretty picky though. There are only three anime I've really liked (Cowboy Bebop, FullMetal Alchemist, and Attack on Titan).

Qualities I'd prefer:
- A finite ending (not something like Inu Yasha, Naruto, Bleach, etc that drag on seemingly needlessly).
- Not based around high school drama stuff
- A plot that expands in scope (ie. FMA began as a story about the struggle of two brothers but develops into a much larger story)
- A plot that isn't cliche or predictable.
- If possible deeper existential subtexts and moral ambiguity.
- Not heavily reliant on romance

I hope that's specific enough. Thanks.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Lemme just quote my steins gate rec from earlier

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

I was really, really impressed with steins gate. I normally hate time travel stories but Steins gate was, in my opinion, absolutely fan-loving-tastic. It tugged my heartstrings, which is something I can;t say for a lot of shows. I was also super impressed with he dub. I kinda think its Funimation's best, even better than baccanno's, which is saying something.

also Fooly Cooly

e: oops, no romance. Steins gate doesnt rely on it but it is there and it is important, so lets go with Paranoia agent. Thats pretty unique

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

MustelaFuro posted:

Qualities I'd prefer:
- A finite ending (not something like Inu Yasha, Naruto, Bleach, etc that drag on seemingly needlessly).
- A plot that expands in scope (ie. FMA began as a story about the struggle of two brothers but develops into a much larger story)

The following pass with flying colors:

Gankutsuou
Monster
Paranoia Agent
Psycho-Pass
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

These might bend one or two of the rules slightly:

Lupin III: The Woman Named Fujiko Mine -- I wouldn't call it "heavily reliant on romance" but it is about a woman thief who everyone's in love with and her mysterious past.

Neon Genesis Evangelion -- Has highschool-age protagonists, but spends very little time in highschool. The early episodes are arguably somewhat cliche; it outgrows them.

Darker Than Black -- More style than substance. But oh my god, so much style. Don't watch the second season. Same studio as Fullmetal Alchemist.

Samurai Champloo -- It doesn't really expand in scope and remains a fairly personal story about the three protagonists all the way through. But if you liked Cowboy Bebop this is a good bet.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

MustelaFuro posted:

^ Oh hey. Thanks. I've made a more specific request write up (because the other fella said mine was vague) and posted that too in the wrong thread. I'll post it here too.

I'm looking for a new anime to watch. I'm pretty picky though. There are only three anime I've really liked (Cowboy Bebop, FullMetal Alchemist, and Attack on Titan).

Qualities I'd prefer:

I hope that's specific enough. Thanks.

- Not based around high school drama stuff: Welp, there goes 70% of all anime

Gurren Lagaan: They start in a literal hole in the ground and end up... well, just check it out. It's the king of mecha anime because the most important parts of the story focus on the characters, not the robots. It's a great stor, and a ride like no other, though romance does play a decent sized role in the story.

Steins;Gate: The best show to try and describe in one line. "Self proclaimed mad scientist Okabe Rintarou unintentionally invents a microwave time machine and has to thwart the evil research organization CERN from taking over the world with time travel." One of my favorites of all time, particularly due to its fantastic cast.

Ghost in the Shell (various): There's quite a few different things of GitS; there's a movie, a sequel, a show (SAC) that's an alternate continuity, a sequel to the series, a movie sequel to the series, and most recently the first episode of an OVA series. ALL of them are worth watching as they are some of the best content in anime. They're a joy to watch and always make you think. Also, Kanno's soundtrack for SAC is one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard.

Honestly, this will be of more help than us. There are still dozens of shows we could recommend with those constrictions since the gist of what you're looking for is quality, meaningful writing.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'll also toss out a recommendation for House of Five Leaves. I think it hits most or all of those points really well and tends to be my go-to recommendation for anime that is well written and a little outside the norm.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
It doesn't exactly expand in scope, and it's more like a collection of short stories than a story with a single ending, but Mononoke is excellent and fulfills the other criteria quite well.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Eureka Seven hits most of that, although there is a romance pretty front-and-center.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Eureka Seven is primarily romance, really. That's like, the primary driver of the series. The robots and stuff are kinda secondary.

If you wanted a series that had romance as a secondary or tertiary thing, Gurren Lagann would be it. Romance is less a focus and more of a motivator for the characters to Do Stuff With Drills.

Also, Mustelafuro, DEFINITELY check out Stand Alone Complex that I linked earlier if you want subtext and philosophical poo poo, it flows out of GITS like crazy. Also good stuff like "what makes a human" and the conflict between cyborgs and flesh and blood.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 13, 2013

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

MustelaFuro posted:

Qualities I'd prefer:

I mentioned it in reply to your post in the Titan thread and it bends your rules quitea bit but Busou Renkin is totally rad and you should watch it.

edit: And if you don't mind me recommending a manga you should really read Qualia the Purple it hits every one of the things you list except that it's about some high school students (hasn't ended yet but it's adapting a light novel that has a set ending) and it is one of the best thing ever. Hell, everyone should read Qualia the Purple.
Just to emphasize the expanding in scope and not being cliche I'm going to steal some user reviews:

Insurrectionist posted:

This looked dark in the first few pages, was fluffy as hell for the next 2 chapters to the point where it looked like typical goofy high-school sci-fi stuff

Zahki posted:

So I read the first few chapters and thought "What a nice story about a girl who sees things as robots". Then I got to chapter 6. What the gently caress?

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Holy poo poo. I thought chapters five and six were crazy, going "what the gently caress?" through them, and then you get to The Point of No Return and can practically hear the wind whistling past your ears as the story takes you for a dive into the absolute best kind of insanity.

Bremen posted:

Looking back now, calling chapters 5 and 6 weird is just so quaint.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 13, 2013

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
Seconding all the Ghost in the Shell recommendations.

If you don't mind mecha series, I'd like to recommend The Big O. It's like Batman but with robots. The art style is like the 90's Batman cartoon.
While the first season is very episodic, the second season starts and follows an ongoing storyline, going all kinds of places.

Also, read Qualia the Purple. Read it.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Thread title. No, seriously. Legend of Galactic Heroes fits all those qualities. If/(hopefully when) I run out of interesting stuff to watch, I'm going to rewatch the entire thing because it's been a few years and I want to see if I can watch it with a slightly more informed perspective. I will say though that it took me some getting used to the two Imperial protagonists, how they act and their relationship. I almost dropped the show because of this. Thank God I didn't. And there's always the Alliance characters to act as counter weights. But that's a matter of taste. Steins;Gate isn't a bad show (coming from a fanboy), but the beginning there can be quite tough to get through if you hate clichéd anime poo poo - Allthough it's entirely self-aware. I will admit that some of the moments in that show got me to shed a few tears but I'm a bit of a pansy.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

MG42 posted:

It's like Batman but with robots.

I did not know that and now I'm SOLD.

Dessel posted:

Steins;Gate isn't a bad show (coming from a fanboy), but the beginning there can be quite tough to get through if you hate clichéd anime poo poo - Allthough it's entirely self-aware. I will admit that some of the moments in that show got me to shed a few tears but I'm a bit of a pansy.

I don't see how any scene featuring Okabe could be cliche. And that's every scene. The only thing that might be tough to get through is getting used to Okabe because he's a bit insufferable, but it's all for a reason and the other characters make fun of him for it anyway.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

ViggyNash posted:

I did not know that and now I'm SOLD.

Man, how the hell could you not know that? Everyone loves Big O, and no one has ever not described it as B:TAS with mechs. Anyway, I know it goes without saying but if you're gonna watch it go dubbed. And the second season is Eva level insane. Even with S2 Big O is still real fuckin' good, though.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

ActionZero posted:

Hell, everyone should read Qualia the Purple.
Just to emphasize the expanding in scope and not being cliche I'm going to steal some user reviews

That post seems.... familiar :v:

But yes, read Qualia.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
Thanks for all of the responses everyone. I'm going to look into all of the ones I'm not already familiar with, which is most of them.

Two of them I'm familiar with are Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and Big O. I really liked Big O but was so disappointed with how it kind of fizzled out at the end. As for GitS, it wasn't bad I just found the gratuitous flaunting of breasts annoying and detracting from the story.

And I'm not wholly adverse to romance in an anime, I just find it tiresome when plots revolve around romantic jealousy.

I almost forgot about it, but one of the anime I like that is really the exception to my usual tastes is Kids on the Slope.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Granted it's been a while since I've watched GITS:SAC after an ex-friend stole my DVDs, but I always felt like Makoto knew exactly what she was showing off and was proud of her cyborg body, but didn't necessarily do gratuitous things. Like, fanservice often makes me roll my eyes or mark down a series if there's too much of it, but it never really bothered me in GITS:SAC. Could just be the quality of everything else making it more easy to forgive though. I do remember that one butt shot of her climbing out of a Tachikoma, though, that seemed a bit awkward.

If you're willing to take some suggestions for romance/drama stuff, I can provide a few. Here's a big list of romance/drama manga I wrote short descriptions for that were mostly high quality, if I had to pick a handful of top shelf suggestions, I would say go with Paradise Kiss, Bonnouji, Sekitou Elergy, or Masturbation Master Kurosawa(no I'm not joking, if you want drama and broken people trying to fix their terrible lives, this is the series to read).

The first three are all series that don't stagnate in "holding hands is like having sex" hell forever and most of my suggestions will contain stories that cement the romance early or midway through instead of as the finale, all three contain pretty realistic depictions of relationships(warning, occasional mature content) compared to pretty much any other romance series. Most aren't about school stuff, too.

Paradise Kiss is a de-facto romance/drama series suggestion, it's like suggesting Cowboy Bebop to someone looking for action. It's five volumes long and absolutely surprised me many times with where it went. Definitely one of the best I've read. I hear the anime version is outstanding as well, and the ending credits video loving rules and oozes style.

Bonnouji is slice-of-life romance about a guy who gets all sorts of weird poo poo from his traveling brother, and a girl who happens to stumble upon him one day. The relationship grows and moves casually but progresses pretty much nonstop. Pretty relaxing and really funny a lot of the time.

Sekitou Elergy has kinda goofy art(that improves) and follows the story of two blue-collar losers/punks in a world full of jerkasses. Starts out with them working part-time jobs as construction site people. Everything is super grungy, nobody and nothing is squeaky clean, and the artwork as a whole is really outstanding.

Masturbation Master Kurosawa is a story about terrible people and growing out of it. I probably had the same reaction as you when I saw the name for the first time, but by the end of it, I was flabbergasted at how well it told a story about people with serious social and mental problems.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 14, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Granted it's been a while since I've watched GITS:SAC after an ex-friend stole my DVDs, but I always felt like Makoto knew exactly what she was showing off and was proud of her cyborg body, but didn't necessarily do gratuitous things. Like, fanservice often makes me roll my eyes or mark down a series if there's too much of it, but it never really bothered me in GITS:SAC. Could just be the quality of everything else making it more easy to forgive though. I do remember that one butt shot of her climbing out of a Tachikoma, though, that seemed a bit awkward.

I think she always thought of her body more as an accessory since the entire thing is robotic. Showing skin probably doesn't mean much to her anymore.

As far as an anime choice, I agree that's its a perfect middle ground.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Thanks for that big list of descriptions from the romance thread there, by the way. I was linked to Bonnouji earlier in the summer for some reason and really enjoyed it, and I'm eventually hoping to follow it up with something. It's nice to have something so thorough to look through when I finally feel like reading through something.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Depending on what you enjoyed more from Bonnouji, I can make a few specific followup suggestions!

If you liked the romance aspect, turn to page 95. Page 95 has Girl Friends, Octave, and Sekitou Elergy on it, as well as a treasure chest full of dresses, condoms, and asphalt. The worst treasure chest.

If you liked the comedy aspect, turn to page 64. Page 64 has Lovely Complex, Kimi ni Todoke, Sand Chronicles, B Gata H Kei, and half of Paradise Kiss, the other half was eaten by a drama-bear.

If you liked the drama aspect, turn to page 12. Surprise! There's not really any drama in Bonnouji. You fall into the void and die. In the afterlife, you find Masturbation Master Kurosawa, Ai-Ren, Wandering Son, Sand Chronicles, the other half of Paradise Kiss, and Octave. Go back to page 1.

Oh, right. I forgot to say, I've seen a few others, including Kimi ni Todoke and Sand Chronicles. Kimi ni Todoke is worth watching for the side characters, the main characters at least in the first season are kinda bad, but the side characters are so good they carry the show. The second season is about 20 times better than the first. The humor is really solid, I found the kinda low-budget animation charming(the plentiful slow pans, not so much), Chizu and Ayano are awesome characters and Chizu pretty much steals the show from the main characters with her own storyline, Pin is a wonderful rear end in a top hat of a character, etc. I'm reading the manga now where it picks up from the anime, and it's actually progressing pretty nicely.

Sand Chronicles is excellent aside from the terrible hand anatomy. The author can't draw hands for the first 7 volumes. When it comes to the story though, it kinda blew me away. Here's my little review of it from the Shoujo thread:

Captain Invictus posted:

Wow uh, why is Sand Chronicles not in the OP? Aside from the horrible spiderfingers and general hand anatomy for most of it(I just got the last three volumes and the artist seems to have practiced a lot to fix it for those), it's an extremely well done series about a girl who goes through life, love, and traveling after suffering a major traumatic experience when young. It portrays things like untreated psychological trauma, depression, and the inability to let go pretty realistically, as well as love, unrequited love, moving on, and other topics. The "heroine" is very flawed and doesn't always make the best decisions. The time scale is in years and decades, not days or months, and it moves through elementary, middle, and high school at a fairly brisk, reasonable rate, rather than beginning at, like, the first year of high school and ending at graduation. It then continues on into her life past the typical school years.

I was a bit surprised and maybe disappointed to see that volume 8 is where the main story actually ends even though there's a 9th and 10th volume since my main reason for buying the last three volumes was to see where it would go in three whole volumes with how things ended in volume 7, but the side stories in those are so god drat good(and mostly take place after the story concludes anyways) that it was well worth reading them. I felt the actual story's ending was a bit rushed, but that could also be due to the whole series moving at a pretty rapid pace altogether(the story begins when Ann is 12, and ends when she's at least 30, spending a decent amount of time on each stage of her life up to that point.

Definitely worth the read. The spiderfingers are still the worst though and kinda ruin a bunch of scenes because they're so drat badly drawn. Glad she fixed that for the last three books for the most part.
If you read a few volumes and like it, might as well order the 8th, 9th, and 10th volumes off Amazon since people stopped scanlating it when it got licensed(after the 7th volume).

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 14, 2013

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Burned through all of the translated chapters of Sekitou Elergy last night instead of going to sleep at a reasonable hour. I was pleasantly surprised. It's very much like Bonnouji in the way the characters naturally progress, but on a much more closer, personal scale. Not putting Bonnouji down in anyway, since I greatly enjoy the way it's about moments over the years (I was surprised when a character casually mentioned somewhere in the teens that it'd been a few years since they met/the first chapter). Both handle everything really well in their different ways, while also being funny. Good recommendations.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I watched some fullmetal alchemist with my nephew and I actually don't hate anime, at least this one. It's pretty cool for a kids show with some neat intrigue, good action and a solid sense of adventure. I havnt watched anime since dragon ball z as a kid. If that even counts as anime. So I asked an anime friend what would be another show to watch on my own with the same qualities except maybe more adult. He told me to watch a show I forget the name of and I'm away from the computer. It has four words "tengan toppa gurran leggen" is what comes to my head. Anyways, its about giant face robots. It seemed alright, I watched five episodes and I just seemed to wacky. Maybe its supposed to be a comedy or a spoof? It also has a ton anime suedo smut which makes me feel weird watching overly sexuilized cartoon characters, but that's my own issue I guess. He hyped it to be the greatest anime and now I don't know if there is an anime for me. Sorry for the long post goons, but maybe you can recommend something for beginners?

Edit: another problem with that show is that the English dub was low rent as gently caress. And watching with subs was strange for me for some reason despite loving scandanavian film and being used to subs

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Aug 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Gurren Lagann is really one of the most ridiculous anime ever made. I would say maybe stick with it for three more episodes, that's the end of the first major arc. It goes Wanderers -> Spiral King -> Timeskip and breakout to space -> BREAKING ALL LAWS OF PHYSICS, TIME AND SPACE, LITERALLY PIERCING THE HEAVENS. It's a love letter to giant robots series of the past, and fanservice is part of that, everything in GL is done with a pretty definite sense of self-awareness. Stuff like "the wheel was never invented, we just put faces and legs on absolutely everything instead so everything is technically a mecha" kind of self-awareness. Just remember, the show never stops ramping up. First episode, they get a tiny robot. Second episode, big robot. Third episode, combine. Fourth episode, new teammates, fifth, new crew members, and so on. Episode six is a pretty ridiculous episode and can be skipped if you really want(though if you enjoy Kamina's purposely overblown personality, might want to watch it), but episodes 7 and 8 are must-watch.

If it's a show for just you, I would suggest the currently-airing Attack on Titan. You can watch it on Crunchyroll. It's not a show for kids, but if you like Fullmetal Alchemist, it has a similar world feel, though it's considerably more brutal. It's also been one of the most outsider-friendly series I've seen in a while, tons of non-anime goons have been drawn to it. I personally always recommend people read the manga first before the anime since the anime, as good as it is, hasn't handled some scenes too well, and there's also a two-episode span where almost literally nothing happens about 10 episodes in. If it keeps up the rate of popularity growth, it could be the next Cowboy Bebop in the US.

Speaking of, Cowboy Bebop! Considered one of the best animes ever, it's space bounty hunters that are largely isolated stories but blend into an overall narrative with incredible animation, fight scenes, voice acting, drama, aesthetics(the spaceships rule), and just an amazing world feel.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is one of the best-animated tv-based series you'll see. The Major gets her share of fanservice, but it always felt to me like she had no issue showing off her cyborg body. It's a future cyberpunk series where mankind has begun graduating from flesh and blood to cyborg bodies and cyberbrains. It has a lot of philosophical discussions about what constitutes a "human", at what point is an AI a sentient being, political corruption, etc and also has boatloads of really good action. The whole first series is available for free on Youtube right now in HD, so give that a watch while it's available! One of the best in general, IMO.

edit: yeah the Gurren Lagann dub takes a bit to get going, but eventually most of the voice actors hit their stride. Unfortunately some don't do it in time, but as a whole, the series's dub was above average. The Japanese voice cast is almost second to none, though.

Here's a fairly spoiler-free example of what happens in a mid-series episode of GL. This is considered "mild" on the ridiculousity meter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_WvmKUzr3k

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Aug 16, 2013

• Locked thread