Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
my favorite sf movie is "alphaville" and i have a b/w photo of a dead 20th century author for an avatar and i still enjoyed the gently caress out of pacific rim, because there's a time and a place for being a douchebag pseudo-intellectual and a movie theater showing a film about giant robots beating up giant monsters is not it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
my problem with pacific rim isn't that people enjoyed it.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
no i think your problem is your posting

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

rigel is the most yospos muppet ever

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Heresiarch posted:

"alphaville"
owns

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!

FMguru posted:

its not a great film noir, but its very interesting and it has a lot to say about the genre and the era

theres a lot of fun details. all the music is the same song, just done in different versions (its playing as muzak when hes in the grocery store, for instance). and gould's version of marlowe is exactly the same as the one in the books, especially his wardrobe and his car, so hes a literal rip van winkle anachronism, a 1940s moralist who finds himself in anything-goes 1970s los angeles. plus, nude lesbian hippie yoga chicks!

did you spot arnold schwarzeneggar in his first ever film role?

Yeah the GF wouldn't believe it was him until I rewound the undressing scene @ the end.

I guess it's not exactly noir but it shares a certain attention to audiovisual detail w the genre and the fact that its got so much to say abt the genre is why I called it neo noir. The song was a cool touch and if I'm not mistaken the scoring was one of John Williams' first roles as well.

Also the catte bit at the beginning is p YOSPOS imo :3:

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

Heresiarch posted:

my favorite sf movie is "alphaville" and i have a b/w photo of a dead 20th century author for an avatar and i still enjoyed the gently caress out of pacific rim, because there's a time and a place for being a douchebag pseudo-intellectual and a movie theater showing a film about giant robots beating up giant monsters is not it

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Amethyst posted:

my problem with pacific rim isn't that people enjoyed it.

yes it is, you're posting exactly like a loving iyg poster except you're complaining about movies instead of phones

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Heresiarch posted:

yes it is, you're posting exactly like a loving iyg poster except you're complaining about movies instead of phones

you're misreading my posts.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Amethyst posted:

you're reading my posts.

our mistake, blue stymie, our mistake

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Can-O-Raid posted:

our mistake, blue stymie, our mistake

Thank you

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Amethyst posted:

you're misreading my posts.

reading them at all has been a huge mistake, yes

edit: gently caress

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Heresiarch posted:

reading them at all has been a huge mistake, yes

edit: gently caress

nice quip, but i literally don't even think we disagree with each other

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

Y'all gettin trolled by a scarecrow imo

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
hey heresiarch what are your preferred borges translations? for some reason you seem like someone whom it'd be worthwhile to ask.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Amethyst posted:

nice quip, but i literally don't even think we disagree with each other

i don't care. you are a terrible poster and if we agree on something i will automatically reexamine my opinion because holy crap do i not want to share any common intellectual space with you

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

Should I read the next uplift novel or the next culture novel or just grab some Raymond Chandler

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

MindSet posted:

Y'all gettin trolled by a scarecrow imo

yeah ive kind of been realizing that too. blue stymie is almost too petulant to be legit

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Heresiarch posted:

i don't care. you are a terrible poster and if we agree on something i will automatically reexamine my opinion because holy crap do i not want to share any common intellectual space with you

yeesh. next time i'll think before speaking out against hollywood trash, lest i piss off the guy with sterling "has a borges avatar" credentials

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Crasscrab posted:

yeah ive kind of been realizing that too. blue stymie is almost too petulant to be legit

lol if you legit take anything said on a loving internet forum about funny computers seriously

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Heresiarch posted:

i doubt anyone wants to share any physical space with ametits either

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sham bam bamina! posted:

you're bring a disingenuous debate club shithead but i'll fukken humor you by reiterating the coherent points i've already made in a way that you might be able to comprehend:

1. i generally hate these kinds of "summer blockbusters" (cf. the star wars prequels, bayformers, avatar, tron: legacy, the hobbit, avengers) because they're stupid, soulless, and shittily-paced -structured -shot -acted -written and -everything else that isn't props/sets/special effects but want me to take them seriously anyway. pacific rim is just del toro goofing around and making a big dumb fun monster action movie for the kid that he was back in the '70s and doing a drat good job of it. watch a bayformers and pacific rim back-to-back and it's blindingly obvious which one is a competent director's pet project and which one is a hack's loving paycheck.

2. if a band or album is nothing to you besides its political pigeonhole (lol @ your loving rolling stone "voice for the disenfranchised" spiel for the ramones like they gave a poo poo and double lol @ applying it to loving ac/dc) maybe music just isn't your thing. even then you should still be able to understand what i meant by bringing up simple, basic unambitious and FUN rock 'n' roll in this context. or maybe i should have just said van halen instead idgaf

3. congratulations on completely missing my point about the space decapitation, it's "wicked sick" but it's also fukken ridiculous.

i like this post

not sure i get all of your points but it saved me time

i would have said rude things about joey that i could not have taken back

stuff like this "Joey Ramone died of lymphoma at New York-Presbyterian Hospital on April 15, 2001, after a seven-year battle.[10] He was reportedly listening to the song "In a Little While" by U2 when he died.[11] This was during U2's Elevation Tour, and from that point on during shows Bono would introduce the song as a tune that was originally about a lovestruck hangover but that Joey turned it into a gospel song.[12]"

their music sucked [citation not really needed] U2 was the cherry on top though

we can't stop here though, this is troll country :tinfoil:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

MindSet posted:

Should I read the next uplift novel or the next culture novel or just grab some Raymond Chandler
uplift novels after the first three are terrible. first three are good, great, very good respectively

culture novels are always worth reading

read some chandler. hammet too (he's actually better :ssh:)

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

drat, an entire musical movement brutally owned by syscall girl.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Sham bam bamina! posted:

hey heresiarch what are your preferred borges translations? for some reason you seem like someone whom it'd be worthwhile to ask.

the j.e.i. translations from the "labyrinths" compilation are my favorites for the limited material in that volume. i'm not sure exactly who j.e.i. is/was, but those translations are much better than the ones in (for example) hurley's "collected fictions", which are accurate but dreadfully dry

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Amethyst posted:

yeesh. next time i'll think before speaking out against hollywood trash, lest i piss off the guy with sterling "has a borges avatar" credentials

whoosh

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

what'd i miss

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Amethyst posted:

what'd i miss

your bus to gbs

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Heresiarch posted:

your bus to gbs

with cutting edge humour like this, it's no wonder I can't keep up

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I just finished reading Gateway by Fredrick Pohl. pretty good, very grimy and dark, with a completely unlikable protagonist. has a few quaint ideas about automated psychology and A.I, which are very much of their time.

it's a heart breaking character piece set on a remote station and is well worth reading

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sham bam bamina! posted:

it's a loving one-off nostalgic pet project, if you seriously think that he's going to quit making pan's labyrinths and devil's backbones because of this you're insane especially since he's always had a blade or a hellboy or whatever between his serious movies

also lol if you think that del toro is in any way comparable to kubrick

yeah there are directors who use big summer movies that aren't really their style to pad they cred and do whatever the gently caress they want

i'm trying to think of how lynch keeps making the films he wants because it wasn't dune (which did slide into the black on international, vhs and later dvd sales) but it has happened

i bought the hell out of the lost highway soundtrack

that was probably it

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

i'm going to do everybody a favor and stop quoting you now

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
pacific rim was cool

gonna watch lynchdune again today. lots of beautiful visuals and design work straddled with a director who wasn't sure about what he was doing

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Heresiarch posted:

i'm going to do everybody a favor and stop quoting you now

thanks for letting us know

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

drat, an entire musical movement brutally owned by syscall girl.

i have musical movements that have more class than the ramones' wannabe surfer rock libertarian bullshit every morning

i usually convert them in to my posts

just read them and waft your hand from the monitor or google glass or whatever

you'll get the picture

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

syscall girl posted:

i have musical movements that have more class than the ramones' wannabe surfer rock libertarian bullshit every morning

i usually convert them in to my posts

just read them and waft your hand from the monitor or google glass or whatever

you'll get the picture

I just smell weed

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
how rude

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Heresiarch posted:

the j.e.i. translations from the "labyrinths" compilation are my favorites for the limited material in that volume. i'm not sure exactly who j.e.i. is/was, but those translations are much better than the ones in (for example) hurley's "collected fictions", which are accurate but dreadfully dry
thanks for the tip, i think i'll start there

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Sham bam bamina! posted:

thanks for the tip, i think i'll start there

might i suggest Mark Z. Danielewski's House of Leaves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

oh lol, new 'tar

perfectly suits the above post

• Locked thread