Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Nope, just the theme. It's also kinda neat because the game that the movie is based off of has a few subtle transitions to its other worlds that you barely notice happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It doesn't connect to the plot really, just thematically. It's such a neat little thing that it kind of deserves to have taken place in a better movie.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Watching Super last night, I noticed a moment near the end when Crimson Bolt is on the roof. One of the random henchmen hears the noise and turns around, in the process swinging his gun past the face of Abe (Michael Rooker) causing him to freak out for a second.

Just a nice touch since Abe is set up as the only henchman with any brains (i.e. taking the time to aim rather than just firing randomly) so it rather fits his character, plus the usual thing of most action movies totally ignoring gun safety.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I know The Ladykillers isn't everyone's favorite Coen Brothers movie, but I like it. I watched it again today and I love the way the facial expression of painted portrait of the old lady's deceased husband hanging above above the fireplace changes every time it's shown.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I know The Ladykillers isn't everyone's favorite Coen Brothers movie, but I like it. I watched it again today and I love the way the facial expression of painted portrait of the old lady's deceased husband hanging above above the fireplace changes every time it's shown.

It's a pretty good and funny movie even if it can't bat with the best of them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I thought was kind of neat in Elysium is how about 2/3 of the way through the movie Krueger gets his face blown off by a grenade and when its fixed by the medical computers he comes out looking much younger. Since his face was all new skin that hadn't been exposed to the elements.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

muscles like this? posted:

Something I thought was kind of neat in Elysium is how about 2/3 of the way through the movie Krueger gets his face blown off by a grenade and when its fixed by the medical computers he comes out looking much younger. Since his face was all new skin that hadn't been exposed to the elements.

That wasn't exactly a subtle moment, it was the thing that caused him to freak out and go around murdering the citizens of Elysium.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IShallRiseAgain posted:

That wasn't exactly a subtle moment, it was the thing that caused him to freak out and go around murdering the citizens of Elysium.

He was already planning on taking over the second he saw that Max had the code to take over.

Augster
Aug 5, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

My favorite bit was that it also restored his beard.

Augster has a new favorite as of 02:30 on Aug 11, 2013

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Breaking Bad is not a movie, but still full of awesome details.

In the first half of the season 5 premier (i.e., what aired last summer...still not sure why they are calling it a split season 5 instead of 5 and 6, but whatever):

Hank and Gomez are investigating the burnt out remains of the super-lab, and they are actually wearing their suits correctly. They have duct-tape around the edges of their makes, the zippers, and the cuffs around their gloves and boots. Having been certified in a couple different OSHA-regulated HAZMAT procedures, I appreciate the attention to detail.

Although, being that it was a super-lab that just had a massive fire, I doubt they'd just use passive respirators. Even with combined HEPA/Chemical filter, there could be stuff you have no idea about getting in there. In a real-life situation, they'd almost certainly go Level B, if not A. But I understand why they'd go with just C, easier for the actors to get into, cheaper, etc...

Besides which, we can also just fan-wank that the guys in the level A suits already went in and cleared it for Level C.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

In the first half of the season 5 premier (i.e., what aired last summer...still not sure why they are calling it a split season 5 instead of 5 and 6, but whatever):

They filmed them straight through, and there's some money stuff that means splitting season 5 cost much less than making a short 5 and 6.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

Breaking Bad is not a movie, but still full of awesome details.

For all that attention to detail, that AED in one of the earlier episodes of season 5. :argh:

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008

Terminal Entropy posted:

For all that attention to detail, that AED in one of the earlier episodes of season 5. :argh:

You're saying that wouldn't have worked?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Defibrillators shock the heart and temporarily "reset" it, knocking out any irregular shaking or quivering motion ("fibrillation") in the hopes that when the heart restarts it will be beating normally and start pumping blood again. A defibrillator will probably throw a healthy person to the floor and/or knock them out, but if their heart isn't otherwise unhealthy it will just start beating normally again in seconds.

The guy in Breaking Bad stuck one of the electrodes in his mouth, though, so the charge would probably go at least partly through his brain and that can't be good for you.

(One of the things that comes up in the Irrationally Irritating thread is the use of defibrillators on people with no heartbeat whatsoever...they don't fix that. They fix http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ventricular_fibrillation)

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Sagebrush posted:

Defibrillators shock the heart and temporarily "reset" it, knocking out any irregular shaking or quivering motion ("fibrillation") in the hopes that when the heart restarts it will be beating normally and start pumping blood again.

More specifically: they stop hearts.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

...for a fraction of a second. On a biochemical level, the electrical charge temporarily synchronizes all the muscle fibers by overloading their natural action potentials so they all contract at once. When the charge disappears, the muscles start reacting to their normal impulses again, but in synchronicity. Unless there's something else causing their heart to beat irregularly, the defibrillator will have no lasting effect.

I'm not saying it's not possible, but that it would be unlikely to actually kill someone with a healthy heart. The device is literally used like a reset switch, so if there's nothing else wrong with the person they should go right back to normal afterwards.

Again though the dude stuck one electrode in his mouth so

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
In the movie Crank, Chev Chelios is poisoned with a cocktail that causes his heart to stop beating. To counter this, he keeps a constant flow of adrenaline rushing to his heart by doing various acts of mayhem throughout Los Angeles. At one point, he uses a defibrillator to reset his heart beat to normal. Then, he injects himself with like two grams of epinephrine! Anyway the subtle movie moment is that Dennis from Always Sunny is the doctor he gets to defib him.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Hoopy Frood posted:

You're saying that wouldn't have worked?

In the sense that portable defibrillators have a ton of safety precautions explicitly for the purpose of them not being (ab)used like in that episode, yes.

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
I feel like if I was some megaconglomerate head/criminal I would probably carry a gun or cyanide tooth or something.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Sagebrush posted:

I'm not saying it's not possible, but that it would be unlikely to actually kill someone with a healthy heart.

Someone who eats stuff like Franch on a regular basis must be a walking heart attack.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

scary ghost dog posted:

In the movie Crank, Chev Chelios is poisoned with a cocktail that causes his heart to stop beating. To counter this, he keeps a constant flow of adrenaline rushing to his heart by doing various acts of mayhem throughout Los Angeles. At one point, he uses a defibrillator to reset his heart beat to normal. Then, he injects himself with like two grams of epinephrine! Anyway the subtle movie moment is that Dennis from Always Sunny is the doctor he gets to defib him.

Ladies and gentlemen, someone has just mentioned Crank in the Subtle Movie Moments thread. I think it's time to call it a day.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Jedit posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, someone has just mentioned Crank in the Subtle Movie Moments thread. I think it's time to call it a day.

You gotta wait until it's not joking.

tagelthebagel
Oct 23, 2008

Count Uvula posted:

You gotta wait until it's not joking.

Crank probably being one of the least subtle movies I have ever seen. Still one of my guilty pleasure ACTION ACTION BOOM BOOM movies that I love dearly. This poo poo ain't FREE!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

In the sense that portable defibrillators have a ton of safety precautions explicitly for the purpose of them not being (ab)used like in that episode, yes.

Yup. My last job was a biomedical technician, and I frequently had to test AEDs. The BIGGEST THING that we tested was to make drat sure they would ONLY shock on a shockable rhythm, either v-fib or v-tach. So we'd hook it up to a patient simulator and simulate NSR, v-fib, v-tach, a-fib, brundle blocks, etc...

And they are EXTREMELY reliable. I have never seen one shock on a non-shockable rhythm, and I have never heard of anyone else encountering this, either.

So yeah, there's no way he'd die. The thing would just be shouting at him in German to "attach pads to patient." "Analyzing." "Attach pads."

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Obviously they cut the safety budget and had inferior defib machines. The money saved went into the development of Franch.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Jedit posted:

If you watch Crank 2 with subtitles, when Don Kim chuckles to himself in the limo, the subtitles read [RAUGHS].

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Jedit posted:

In Cantonese, "Kaylo" is a slang term for a gay man.

johny006
Apr 6, 2013

by T. Finninho
Watched not so long time ago [url=]The Great Gatsby[/url] and found the movie very nice done. I could not throw end of the story of my mind.

But there was a very funny moment.

1. The movie takes part in old America times and Jay-Z soundtrack sounds funny :-)
2. Also the scene with black guys on the roadway in tuned car and hearing rap was a funny thing for the time the movie takes place.

generally amazing movie!

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Somebody has a new favorite as of 14:20 on Aug 13, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

johny006 posted:

Watched not so long time ago [url=]The Great Gatsby[/url] and found the movie very nice done. I could not throw end of the story of my mind.

1. The movie takes part in old America times and Jay-Z soundtrack sounds funny :-)
2. Also the scene with black guys on the roadway in tuned car and hearing rap was a funny thing for the time the movie takes place.

generally amazing movie!

Don't click that link.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

johny006 posted:

generally amazing movie!

What did I just read? Is this a troll?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I think we might have just been infiltrated by a comments section spambot.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Cleretic posted:

I think we might have just been infiltrated by a comments section spambot.

That's pretty much what I thought. Apologies for not taking the link out of my own quote - I'm on the phone app at work and my boss was coming, so I was short of time.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Wait, somebody paid 10 bucks to run their spam bot here?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jedit posted:

Don't click that link.

What was the link?

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Some "watch movies for free" crap site. The user has a rather curious prediction for promoting torrent sites that I wonder if he was dumb enough to get hijacked.

BogDew has a new favorite as of 14:47 on Aug 13, 2013

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I don't know why the spam bot thought it best to advertise it with what seemed kinda racist talking about the black people in the movie set in the 30;s.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The TNT TV series Falling Skies has lots of dumb moments but it's packed full of subtle things as well.

There's a weird collection of classical paintings scattered around the Charleston settlement that you only ever saw in the background of some shots and if you didn't pause the show to identify them you would never have figured out their significance. Pope's club has The Raft of the Medusa over the bar (a painting about humanity despairing and turning on itself after suffering a catastrophe), the Presidential office has Couder's Siege of Yorktown (depicting the last major land battle of the American Revolution where the combined American and French forces defeated the army of a leading British general after tricking them into believing they were going to attack a different stronghold. The French leader is shown taking charge and Washington is standing passively beside him), above the bed in Tom and Anne's room they have the first of the The Lady and the Unicorn tapestries (thought perhaps to be an allusion to the Virgin Mary, mother of the Messiah), on the next wall they have Bierstadt's A Storm in the Rocky Mountains, Mt. Rosalie (showing a tiny native American settlement in the Rocky Mountains about to be engulfed by a massive thunderstorm, but although they're about to get swamped by a literal falling sky there's sunshine on the horizon) and on the other wall they have Church's South American landscape (showing a tiny remote village overlooked by a distant and imposing church building in an idealized South American landscape). Most of those foreshadow significant plot point in the third series even though many of those paintings were first seen at the end of the second series.

There were lots of other subtle little details as well, like how Dan Weaver always wore his wedding ring (even though his wife had divorced him a year before the invasion) and he also had twine tied around the two fingers next to his wedding ring, I guess as an added remembrance for his two daughters. There was also lots of anti-aliens graffiti in the background and murals with stirring quotes about war, some less obvious than others. Whenever a character got injured they usually showed signs of their injuries for several episodes after that or even for the rest of the series.

Someone in production must have been a big Star Wars fan because there's a few references to it appearing throughout the series, such as the Imperial Walker being used to indicate enemy positions on a map in one episode:

:v:
This is just scratching the surface, there was lots more.

Such a shame the plot was so dorky at times.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I watched the beginning of The Simpsons Movie yesterday and in the opening sequence in outer space, they briefly pan by the famous "smiley face" image from mars.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
In The Cabin in the Woods, our introduction to the stoner character is him driving up in a car smoking a bong with smoke billowing from the open windows. He then gets out, shuts the door, locks it through the open window and then gives the door handle a tug to make sure it's shut.

Also, the main cast is basically the Scooby gang, if you think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
His telescoping coffee mug bong is also amazing.

That movie has so many good nods to various horror tropes, and it's really, really worth pausing the movie to read the full board for the betting pool.