Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!
So, sometimes I get bored and decide to do weird poo poo. Like take the door off an R-22 and have it fly over KPAE.

VH-VKA by Powercube, on Flickr

C-FIVX from above by Powercube, on Flickr
More to come later. It's just very hot in my office at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Good stuff, I reckon that's the first photo i've seen of a jetstar 787 in the wild.

Actually found some more:

http://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/515306-jetstar-787s-4.html

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 13, 2013

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

Now with more front end grip.
I wonder if those white nacelles mean the plane will be transferred over to Qantas as soon as the 787-9s start delivering since Boeing offers a grey option now.

Nice shots!

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Tide posted:

Maybe 100'.

I figure the garage on the house below him is 8' tall. I printed out the photo and measured the garage at 5/16", then simply 'counted garages' from ground to the plane. This somewhat assumes I'm looking at the perspective right and the plane is right over the house.

The plane is not over the house.

A DC-10 fuselage is 19'9" across. That's a good unit to work with. It's a size that we know, for sure, is at the same distance as the plane.

If you want to compare the distance from the observer to the plane, you can compare the height of the fuselage, to the height of a car of known height. That white van... "Height 80.7 in (2,050 mm)–84.1 in (2,136 mm)" So we can figure 82"

With those two numbers, we can figure out relative distances from the observer to the plane.

If we assume the land is flat (not level) between us and the fire, we can get a general idea of how far up the plane is. I'll need to break out the calipers at home, but I'm going to bet something closer to 300'.

I should break out photoshop and start counting pixels. :-)

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of LHR: http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/8/13/4616820/heathrow-future-expansion-report

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Even Boris has already dropped the idea of an island airport in the estuary as the insane ramblings of a madman.
Heathrow is going to expand, one way or another. Politicians know this, they're just trying to figure out a way to get the public to swallow it and still get re-elected.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Linedance posted:

Even Boris has already dropped the idea of an island airport in the estuary as the insane ramblings of a madman.
Heathrow is going to expand, one way or another. Politicians know this, they're just trying to figure out a way to get the public to swallow it and still get re-elected.

Move everything out to Gattwick, make Heathrow domestic. Worked for Tokyo!

edit: I just looked it up, I had no idea how terribly overloaded Gattwick/Heathrow are. London has 4 single runway airports in it and Heathrow's 2 runways.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 13, 2013

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

hobbesmaster posted:

London has 4 single runway airports in it and Heathrow's 2 runways.

Which is weird, because when I've visited the place, it feels unfathomably massive. I suppose most of the airports I visit would feel that way if I had to traverse them completely on foot though.

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.
My dad visited Coventry airport today. No problems with prop blur here :smith:

And a bit of :unsmith: to finish. Anyone for a cuppa?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I had read that the last operational Electra in the UK (or the rest of Europe) had been ferried to Canada (someone is either using them for water bombers, or just parts for water bombers.) I guess that doesn't mean there aren't any parted out ones left, though. I guess all the dead ATPs are there for Atlantic Airways, they have a fleet of ATP freighters.

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

Yeah, those ATPs are being stripped for spares for the rest of Atlantic's fleet. The L-188s have been replaced by 737s - that must be a redundant spares frame that is not long for the world.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I'm happy I work where I can see P3s operating fairly often. It's sorta like having regular Electra operations :)

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

Axeman Jim posted:

My dad visited Coventry airport today. No problems with prop blur here :smith:

Coventry has a bit of GA activity, I used to fly in to take the aircraft for annual for the past few years. Aerotech is a pretty interesting operation but I'm not sure if it's easy to get in. They service a lot of Jetprops and some pretty cool aircraft. In their hangar they have an emmaculate newish Waco which apparently the owner never uses.

I kept meaning to go into the museum and diner but never had the chance, was it any good?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

Which is weird, because when I've visited the place, it feels unfathomably massive. I suppose most of the airports I visit would feel that way if I had to traverse them completely on foot though.

Well, theres only two terminals for the third highest passenger traffic in the world. Its not like ATL which just keeps going with its 7 terminals. Never been to Beijing so I can't compare to number 2.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

Understeer posted:

I wonder if those white nacelles mean the plane will be transferred over to Qantas as soon as the 787-9s start delivering since Boeing offers a grey option now.

Nice shots!

White nacelles are cheaper. Furthermore, QF has never been one to really care about nacelles matching the livery- case in point the 767-336ERs and 747-338s.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

Still more comfortable than a CRJ.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Well, theres only two terminals for the third highest passenger traffic in the world. Its not like ATL which just keeps going with its 7 terminals. Never been to Beijing so I can't compare to number 2.

4 at the moment, T1, T3, T4, and T5. Next year the new Terminal 2 should open, and then I think T1 and/or T4 will be mothballed and probably destroyed.
T5 is BA's, T3 is Virgin, American, AC, and assorted internationals (including BA), T1 is European shorthaul (including BA), and a few US carriers like United and whoever they've swallowed up, and a few other carriers. T4 is everyone else. The new T2 is going to be mainly Star Alliance, and possibly Virgin, and probably BA.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Jaguars! posted:

With all this talk of aircraft photography, how could I have shot these better (Apart from using a camera that's more than a glorified point-and-shoot)

I shot them with aperture priority, I guess because I was trying to get the exposure right on a very bright day. chances are the other settings were automatic.

For some reason this one is 1/250 and it shows up with the props

Is there any getting around the heat shimmer?

Photos with metadata can be found here:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/TBP25

SybilVimes posted:

Aircraft don't really photograph well with the 3/4 view, so the first shot would probably have been better done almost directly head-on and moved back the 50' or so for the second shot's position .

For aircraft with a prop, you want to be on shutter priority, in a good day you're going to have plenty of aperture available even down to the low fractions of a second.

At that focal length you should have been able to get down to 1/60th (or 1/80 - 1/100 and some safety room) without running into a major problem with vibration/shake. That would have given you better prop disks, a smaller aperture, and thus a wider DOF to get more of the plane in critical focus. Also, the sky is blown, which could probably be solved in editing if the camera saves raw files. Otherwise, maybe a -0.3 EV compensation would have kept the sky (or better use of controlling the exposure/metering, if the camera allows it, but it probably doesn't).

The sun appears to be direct overhead, which is always going to give you pretty lovely light no matter what, but you probably had no control over that.

As for heat shimmer, not much you can do apart from being closer, sometimes it can add to a picture if everything else is perfect.

Editing wise, the major thing with that heat haze is that you don't have too good contrast natively, so you'd want to push the contrast as best as you can without it getting too obnoxious. If the sky wasn't blown, you should have had blue sky in that direction (if I'm judging from the other pics right, the clouds were mostly behind you), that would have improved the contrast somewhat.

The rule of thumb for 'safe' shutter times without vibration being a problem; is 1/focal-length, since your focal length is ~50mm, that should allow you plenty of options on capturing the prop disk, and while taxing the plane isn't going to be moving fast enough for motion blur to be an issue.

Quartering views are flattering to many subjects, including planes. A quartering view lends itself to motion through the frame. Head-on views can be really striking, but these have the most impact when shot under ideal circumstances, which are typically not when standing in front of the plane and snapping a picture at eye-level without any creative composition.

The biggest piece of advice that can be given to any new photographer is to get closer. No, seriously, GET CLOSER! Zoom with your feet. Zoom with your lens. Either way, get closer!

The first image is actually compositionally very strong. I cropped in to about 30 px on each wingtip and moved the crop box to exclude the foreground fences. The composition is balanced and nicely layered with a bit of foreground, the subject framed against the dark trees, with the hills and sky making a nice layered background.

On the second image I eliminated a lot of the left-hand side of the image, cropping it into the white facility in the background, and I again eliminated the fence in the foreground. The trees in the upper left are very unsightly and hefty. I tried keeping the a cropped portion of the fence in the foreground here, but that didn't work, so I just took it all the way in until about 60 px from the horizontal stab. The pavement of the vehicle access(?) is running off into the lower right corner, which is a compositional cliché, but it looks okay here.

The DC-3 is so far away that shooting at even f/1 the entire plane would have been in focus. The softness is due primarily to atmospheric effects.

Shutter priority is fine to use (and recommended), but using it while being forced to stop down to the limits of the lens is not gaining anything. Diffractive effects of the aperture will start deteriorating the image, turning every detail into an Airy disc.

The sky is bright, but it's not blown. It's still possible to see the clouds and the separation into blue sky. This would be recoverable in RAW, but I doubt that's the shooting format. I think pulling the sky down with a third- or half-stop gradient would be a good idea, but anything more than that will look doctored.

You are right about 1/focal-length shutter speeds. With an image stabilized lens it's usually possible to cut another couple stops off that, too. His effective focal lengths were 234 mm and 286 mm, respectively, so 1/80th with a modern IS and a steady hand should have been do-able.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Any of you prop/rotor/jet-heads live in or around Gainesville, FL? I'll be there for a week or so starting tomorrow afternoon, business trip to do some avionics tech support for a local operator that may or may not fly Saab 340s with pink (IT'S FUSCHIA, DAMMIT!) nacelles. Wouldn't at all mind having a mini goon meet for a beer and a burger if anyone's local. :)

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

China Southern has the best 787 livery. Bar none:

B-2726 by Powercube, on Flickr
Even their cargo livery ain't bad

B-2042 from above by Powercube, on Flickr
Note: this Fedex 77F only has one engine installed

N859FE by Powercube, on Flickr

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

So you're the guy on the frontpage of airliners.net then. Nice going, this is something that I will eventually need to try.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Old friend of mine visiting his folks in Tennessee. His father owns a plane (type to follow. I believe it's a Piper...) and they were over at the hangar, which it apparently shares with this:

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

StandardVC10 posted:

So you're the guy on the frontpage of airliners.net then. Nice going, this is something that I will eventually need to try.

Yeah, that's me. I gave the site I write for a few hours of exclusivity- but since it was my photo not theirs; I just put it on a.net for hit seeking. To be fair, I am often on the front page of A.net.

You need to do it, if for no other reason, than to fly on a doorless R-22. The downdraft is definitely a unique experience.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
UPS A300 crashed in Alabama this morning :(

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/14/us/alabama-cargo-plane-crash/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Powercube posted:

Yeah, that's me. I gave the site I write for a few hours of exclusivity- but since it was my photo not theirs; I just put it on a.net for hit seeking. To be fair, I am often on the front page of A.net.

You need to do it, if for no other reason, than to fly on a doorless R-22. The downdraft is definitely a unique experience.

Well, if you want a doorless helicopter ride, there's always this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6sRjrNSQf4

But that's more of a TFR thing.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

The reporting on this has been strange. Looks like another undershoot, going to have to rely on the CVR and FDR though to be sure as apparently all the flight crew have died. :(

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

The Ferret King posted:

I'm happy I work where I can see P3s operating fairly often. It's sorta like having regular Electra operations :)

Until they're replaced by P-8s.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Powercube posted:

I jumped from a Bell 407's copilot seat one time, exited at 11.5k, what a rush. The pilot flew it like he stole it, nape of the earth run out from the airport to the inter-coastal and then went upward. It didn't so much as climb as pull down the sky even with 4 other jumpers. None of my helicopter rides (-60's and -47's) in Iraq compared.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Apropos of nothing, here's a Fishbed in an awesome livery.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

joat mon posted:

So how is that the Russians can make such graceful amphibians?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beriev_Be-200

That might be the most beautiful plane I have ever seen.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Powercube posted:

The reporting on this has been strange. Looks like another undershoot, going to have to rely on the CVR and FDR though to be sure as apparently all the flight crew have died. :(
Indeed.

I heard on the radio (sorry no cite) that there are credible reports the plane was actually on fire before it crashed. Here's to hoping nobody shipped something air freight they shouldn't have.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Apropos of nothing, here's a Fishbed in an awesome livery.

Tintin is pretty AI, what with his constant crashing of every conceivable vehicle.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

The Electronaut posted:

I jumped from a Bell 407's copilot seat one time, exited at 11.5k, what a rush. The pilot flew it like he stole it, nape of the earth run out from the airport to the inter-coastal and then went upward. It didn't so much as climb as pull down the sky even with 4 other jumpers. None of my helicopter rides (-60's and -47's) in Iraq compared.

I might know the pilot. Did he kinda look like a 6'5" version of Gallagher?

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
Crap. I just checked UPS for status on my shipment of expired oxygen generators and there's some delay or something...

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

PhotoKirk posted:

That might be the most beautiful plane I have ever seen.

In addition to working as a water bomber and various utility roles, the Be-200 also comes in a passenger version. So if you needed to fly from Irkut to Lake Bakil, you could actually ride one!

Two random facts I discovered while wikibrowsing: the military version of the Be-200 might be going into production for the Russian navy, and Be 200s production happens at the Centre of competence for amphibian aircraft and flying boats. I'm pretty sure that's a one of a kind institution.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Kilonum posted:

Until they're replaced by P-8s.

These ones are Customs and Border Patrol airplanes, I'm not sure they're getting replaced by P-8s. They have disk radomes on the top of them.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

These ones are Customs and Border Patrol airplanes, I'm not sure they're getting replaced by P-8s. They have disk radomes on the top of them.

I really don't think CBP needs P-8s. I guess every agency director has an incredibly small dick and needs to field his own private military that standing alone actually rivals in strength the entire militaries of tiny-rear end countries.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

movax posted:

I really don't think CBP needs P-8s. I guess every agency director has an incredibly small dick and needs to field his own private military that standing alone actually rivals in strength the entire militaries of tiny-rear end countries.

Mobile radar/sonar is actually one of the more justifiable things CBP has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Leviathor posted:

Photography Advice

Thank you for this, It's fuckin awesome :3: