Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Trackpad scrolling is divine and probably my favorite part of mac. Awaiting my Magic Trackpad for my big mother of a two-screen x86 setup. It's really big, if it's really good I may even try to draw with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a way in Mountain Lion to force every folder in OSX automatically sort everything by name (or file kind?)

I'm tired of opening folders and having all my poo poo strewn about.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a way in Mountain Lion to force every folder in OSX automatically sort everything by name (or file kind?)

I'm tired of opening folders and having all my poo poo strewn about.
There's a "Use as Defaults" button when you modify a folder's View Options.

I think that's what the options are called. I don't have an OS X machine in front of me right now.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Would it be worth upgrading to Mavericks on my late-2008 MacBook Pro once it drops or would it get too sluggish running it? Planning on throwing in an SSD soon, if that makes a difference.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

There's a "Use as Defaults" button when you modify a folder's View Options.

I think that's what the options are called. I don't have an OS X machine in front of me right now.

Yep

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Kingnothing posted:

Apple only supports poo poo that old because people would whine that their $3k machine would be obsolete.

That machine has already hit vintage status. I'd say sometime in 2014 Apple won't even provide parts for it anymore.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Crosspost from the haus of tech support: I recently was given an old macbook pro for a birthday present. I do not have the original OS disc that came with it so I can't do a factory reset. Can I download Lion from Apple and install it on my Macbook pro or am I hosed without the original disc? I'm unsure of what exactly I need to in order to make this macbook "mine" fully. Can provide more information if needed.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Eight Is Legend posted:

Would it be worth upgrading to Mavericks on my late-2008 MacBook Pro once it drops or would it get too sluggish running it? Planning on throwing in an SSD soon, if that makes a difference.

Mavericks is faster then 10.8 and as a bonus can give even legacy macs a small boost to battery lifetime.
So ye, drop the 20 ducats when it drops.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Noise Machine posted:

Crosspost from the haus of tech support: I recently was given an old macbook pro for a birthday present. I do not have the original OS disc that came with it so I can't do a factory reset. Can I download Lion from Apple and install it on my Macbook pro or am I hosed without the original disc? I'm unsure of what exactly I need to in order to make this macbook "mine" fully. Can provide more information if needed.

Can you log into it? If so just buy ML from the app store and install it. You can set it to install to a USB drive, and then boot from that to wipe the HDD if you want.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

SRQ posted:

Can you log into it? If so just buy ML from the app store and install it. You can set it to install to a USB drive, and then boot from that to wipe the HDD if you want.

I can log into it, and by that I mean I can only access the sole user account. I'm not prompted for a password, but I do not know the password for the account or the administrator's password. I'm on the road so I don't have access to a thumb drive, but I have an external HDD. Could I download it to the external and boot from there?

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 13, 2013

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Noise Machine posted:

I can log into it, and by that I mean I can only access the sole user account. I'm not prompted for a password, but I do not know the password for the account or the administrator's password. I'm on the road so I don't have access to a thumb drive, but I have an external HDD. Could I download it to the external and boot from there?

Just follow this guide and you'll be good

(As long as this macbook's capable of running mountain lion at all that is)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Out of curiosity, what version of OS X is installed right now?

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

carry on then posted:

Out of curiosity, what version of OS X is installed right now?

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

If you want to stay with 10.6.8 (it's faster and you should get better battery life, at least until Mavericks ships), I know that Apple at least used to give the disks to you for free if you asked for it at an Apple Store or called customer service.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I want to move my OSX install from an HDD to an SSD.
The current size of the OSX partition is less then the total size of the SSD so that won't be a problem, I just need to figure out exactly how to go about this. I'm not installing 10.9 again it's a pain to download all 4 DP updates.
I'm thinking I make an image of the OSX partition and restore it? Is it even possible to make an image of a running disk?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SRQ posted:

The current size of the OSX partition is less then the total size of the SSD so that won't be a problem, I just need to figure out exactly how to go about this. I'm not installing 10.9 again it's a pain to download all 4 DP updates.
I'm thinking I make an image of the OSX partition and restore it? Is it even possible to make an image of a running disk?

Carbon copy cloner. Old version is still donation ware.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
Since migrating to OSX I've noticed that Chrome doesn't behave the way it should. I have it set to resume where I left off, but if I restart my computer and then go back into Chrome they're all gone. Am I doing something wrong?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Don't restart the computer then?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I cloned the disk using that utility, my god that was entirely painless.
Now to see if restoring the image I made of the Windows install that was on that disk earlier to another disk will work at all.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

SRQ posted:

An alternate to CCC which I've been using in recent times: If you've been using 10.7 / 10.8 / 10.9, you probably have a recovery partition by now. Boot to it. (I forget what the special boot-the-recovery-partition key combo is, I just use the option key to bring up the graphical chooser.) Now you can run Disk Utility instead of performing an install, and use it to "restore" your existing OS X partition to the SSD. No need to go through the intermediate step of creating an image file.

You may also want to use Recovery Disk Assistant (free download from Apple) to set up a recovery partition on the SSD before starting the clone.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Well great, I just bought ML because I'd heard Mavericks won't support my old MBP but apparently it does/very well might? Then again, I guess I can wait a year again for the OS to become stable enough to buy. :haw:

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Don't restart the computer then?
That's not really a solution at all

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

TopherCStone posted:

Since migrating to OSX I've noticed that Chrome doesn't behave the way it should. I have it set to resume where I left off, but if I restart my computer and then go back into Chrome they're all gone. Am I doing something wrong?

What setting do you have in System Preferences -> General -> Close windows when quitting an application?

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

ShadeofBlue posted:

If you want to stay with 10.6.8 (it's faster and you should get better battery life, at least until Mavericks ships), I know that Apple at least used to give the disks to you for free if you asked for it at an Apple Store or called customer service.

I bought some music software that requires 10.7 or later. Since Lion is not available in the app store I figure I'd just bite the bullet for ML. This is probably the last OS upgrade I'll get out of this mac too. My dad found an old snow leopard disc and I think I might actually still have my old 2008 macbook box with the OS disc still in it.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

SRQ posted:

Mavericks is faster then 10.8 and as a bonus can give even legacy macs a small boost to battery lifetime.
So ye, drop the 20 ducats when it drops.

Great, thanks! When is it expected to be released?

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Axiem posted:

What setting do you have in System Preferences -> General -> Close windows when quitting an application?

I imagine that I should uncheck the box

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Eight Is Legend posted:

Great, thanks! When is it expected to be released?
I think "Fall" so pretty soon I guess, 1-3 months.

TopherCStone posted:

I imagine that I should uncheck the box
Yes and no...it might not change anything if Chrome itself is screwing up in some way on restoring, doesn't it have its own restore windows/tabs mechanism? What happens if you quit and relaunch Chrome without restarting? You might just have to enable some restore setting within Chrome itself.

digitalcamo
Jul 11, 2013
I can't seem to find a thread on the ipad, but I had a question about them. I've been considering buying one, they seem very convinient to have. I'm learning to program in Python and would like to have one so I can practice on my lunch breaks and maybe get some school work done. Are iPads good at performing this task? And if so can you recommend a model to me?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552944

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

digitalcamo posted:

I can't seem to find a thread on the ipad, but I had a question about them. I've been considering buying one, they seem very convinient to have. I'm learning to program in Python and would like to have one so I can practice on my lunch breaks and maybe get some school work done. Are iPads good at performing this task? And if so can you recommend a model to me?

There are a few sadistic people who claim to 'work' on an iPad with a keyboard and ssh client but I'd rather poke my eyes out with a fork.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

ShadeofBlue posted:

It's $20 now if you call customer service but apparently they ship the discs pretty quickly.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Is there any way for me to take notes on an iPad, dropbox the files back to my mac, and then OCR it into searchable text? The only OCR systems that support handwriting recognition I've found so far are crazy expensive and meant to be licensed and integrated into other software. Are there any standalone apps that do this?

Failing that, is there any way to accomplish this, or would I better off just typing up the notes to begin with?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

door Door door posted:

Is there any way for me to take notes on an iPad, dropbox the files back to my mac, and then OCR it into searchable text? The only OCR systems that support handwriting recognition I've found so far are crazy expensive and meant to be licensed and integrated into other software. Are there any standalone apps that do this?

I use this app ( https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/notes-plus/id374211477?mt=8 ) on my iPad, which has a handwriting recognition thing as an in-app purchase. The whole package is $10 and works pretty well.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Bedurndurn posted:

I use this app ( https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/notes-plus/id374211477?mt=8 ) on my iPad, which has a handwriting recognition thing as an in-app purchase. The whole package is $10 and works pretty well.

That looks pretty awesome, and it would save me the hassle of having to OCR them on my computer. How well does the handwriting recognition work?

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

door Door door posted:

Is there any way for me to take notes on an iPad, dropbox the files back to my mac, and then OCR it into searchable text?

Have you thought about Evernote?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

digitalcamo posted:

Just because something is technically possible doesn't mean it's a good idea.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

vtlock posted:

Have you thought about Evernote?

I already use Zotero to manage articles so I think I'll look into Notes Plus rather than try to coordinate two programs that do a lot of the same stuff, but thanks for the suggestion.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

japtor posted:

I think "Fall" so pretty soon I guess, 1-3 months.

Yes and no...it might not change anything if Chrome itself is screwing up in some way on restoring, doesn't it have its own restore windows/tabs mechanism? What happens if you quit and relaunch Chrome without restarting? You might just have to enable some restore setting within Chrome itself.

The Chrome settings are good, but closing the Chrome window results in my tabs being lost (even with the OSX setting toggled). Actually quitting Chrome altogether does result in my tabs being saved, and I haven't tried it again with a restart yet.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

TopherCStone posted:

The Chrome settings are good, but closing the Chrome window results in my tabs being lost (even with the OSX setting toggled). Actually quitting Chrome altogether does result in my tabs being saved, and I haven't tried it again with a restart yet.
I think that's intended behaviour since Safari does it too.

I think the idea is that when you actually close the application it pages the state to disk but if you tell it to close a window full of tabs then the application is still there but the tabs aren't so it doesn't have anything to page to disk when you actually do end up quitting chrome.

Just get into the habit of hitting command+Q instead of command+W, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

door Door door posted:

That looks pretty awesome, and it would save me the hassle of having to OCR them on my computer. How well does the handwriting recognition work?

It works pretty well if you're writing real words. If the word you're writing would be underlined in red by a word processor, you might have some trouble.