Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Does this look acceptable enough for a 10 year old that wants a betta?

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarius-Aq25...ords=Betta+tank

Has a filter and some cool looking lighting, so I figure he is good to go after adding the betta itself, some food, water conditioner, some fake plants, gravel or beads, and maybe a little ornament if there is room. I know it's not top of the line, but it seems nice looking and more humane than just tossing the betta in a small vase like I see most people do.

2.5 gal is the smallest I'd put a Betta in. Consider a real plant, something like Java fern should be readily available and grow in a tank like that. Definitely check out the link from durrneez, have your kid look at it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Shakenbaker posted:

Thread title hitting a little close to home...

There's a reason it's there. I think everyone goes through it whenever they choose or have snails forced on them. :v:
My chain loaches arent complaining though. They love digging up and eating those guys.

m5ind
Jun 6, 2011

Musical, you say?
So, after letting work get the best of me and my tanks, I've decided that I should start fresh. Completely new tank and everything to renew my interest in the hobby. So, I built a stand to hold my old 20 long and new 29 gallon, one on top of the other, moved the 20 to the very bottom shelf and the 29 on top of that and got to work. I saved all of the wood from the old tank and into the new, but scrapped all of the plants as they had suffered from insufficient light. I've always liked the length of the 20, but the extra height is really nice to work with on plants and fish choices as well. So, after a few hours and about $40 in plants and sand, I now have this:

No fish in there as of yet, since it's just cycled and I'm not sure what I want to do there anyway. I was thinking betta sorority but I'm not sure right now.

Medicinal Penguin
May 19, 2006
So I just moved my fish about an hour's drive, and I think they might've picked up an infection. One of my giant Danios had a really beat up mouth that wouldn't close right after the move (had to euthanize him), which at the time I thought was just damage from ramming into things in a panic during the move. However, another of the Danios seems to be developing the same condition now. Is this some sort of weird infection I have going? I'm pretty sure they're not getting picked on or anything, the dead one and the sick one are the 2 biggest fish in the tank, other than an algae eater that I haven't seen for more than a minute since the move.

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

SUCKING DICKS AND SQUEEZING TITTIES
Well, I got the dwarf hairgrass and Anubias Congensis into the bone tank. Hope all this prep work will get them growing fast and strong!

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Medicinal Penguin posted:

So I just moved my fish about an hour's drive, and I think they might've picked up an infection. One of my giant Danios had a really beat up mouth that wouldn't close right after the move (had to euthanize him), which at the time I thought was just damage from ramming into things in a panic during the move. However, another of the Danios seems to be developing the same condition now. Is this some sort of weird infection I have going? I'm pretty sure they're not getting picked on or anything, the dead one and the sick one are the 2 biggest fish in the tank, other than an algae eater that I haven't seen for more than a minute since the move.

Hm, do you have any pictures? That could help ID a fungal vs. bacterial infection.

dirtycajun posted:

Well, I got the dwarf hairgrass and Anubias Congensis into the bone tank. Hope all this prep work will get them growing fast and strong!

Please call your tank the Bone Zone. :haw:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Got an absolutely gorgeous betta from my LFS today that's going to live with a small school of neons and some corys in a 10 gallon I have upstairs.

Him name Jermaine.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Ok, now that the topic's been brought up, how does everyone feel about neon or cardinal tetras as tank mates for bettas? I have been considering it for a betta I've got, but I see real mixed claims on other forums about how well it works.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
Just tore down my last freshwater tank as I've been trying to sell it, need to clean it up a bit.

I have a Fluval EBI that I wouldn't mind doing something with but I need help deciding what. I don't have central air and live in Los Angeles so temperature is my main concern. Is there anything that will survive the heat without a chiller? I was thinking maybe just a simple beta tank with fake plants?

mindofme
May 19, 2003

Learn trispace and never have to think about math again!

Slugworth posted:

Ok, now that the topic's been brought up, how does everyone feel about neon or cardinal tetras as tank mates for bettas? I have been considering it for a betta I've got, but I see real mixed claims on other forums about how well it works.

I have a betta living quite happily in a 20g with a school of 9 cardinals and 4 neons. The neons always ignored him, but the cardinals got a bit nippy when there was only 4 of them around - but now that I have a bigger school they pay so much attention to each other they ignore betta RuPaul completely.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.
I've got a betta of my own in a 5 gallon with 4 (3, as of this morning) fathappy corydoras. His hobby is chasing a cory, and their hobby is to taunt the betta. The tank is also over-filtered with a Fluval C2, so I can get away with over-stocking it a bit.

That being said, I wouldn't put any non-cory schooling fish in with a betta unless you had a sufficiently large (10g+) tank due to the betta being able to occupy all levels of the tank, whereas the cories just stay at the bottom.

mindofme posted:

I have a betta living quite happily in a 20g with a school of 9 cardinals and 4 neons. The neons always ignored him, but the cardinals got a bit nippy when there was only 4 of them around - but now that I have a bigger school they pay so much attention to each other they ignore betta RuPaul completely.

That is an absolutely fabulous name for a betta :gay:

Fusillade
Mar 31, 2012

...and her

BIG FAT BASS
The fry are free-swimming! There's... so many! @_@ My first attempt to feed them went okay. Parents were wary of the pipette, but I definitely need to invest in a second turkey baster for the house. A few of the fry have already blundered into the lair/mouth of the pike cichlid, but there's plenty more where those came from. I may move them to that 30 gallon this weekend if too many more get snatched up.

Have some more pics!

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
So my husband saw an axolotl at our local fish shop and is now pining after it's funny face. This isn't something you can just plop into an already established tank with quite a few fish already, right? Also no live plants in this tank since some snails invaded and destroyed them.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

An axolotl needs a specific dedicated setup and is NOT a simple animal to keep. http://www.axolotl.org/

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Good. We have enough mouths to feed right now. Thanks for the link!

(this is a lot like the time he decided he wanted an octopus... no we did not end up getting one)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Impulse purchases are always a bad idea. Take note of that thing that caught your eye, go do research before buying it so you dont end up with a footlong monster in your betta cup.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I keep a tiger salamander for a pet. He will absolutely try to jam anything and everything in his mouth. Your fish tank would be empty except for your aquatic woodchipper in a week.

Panzer Attack
Mar 9, 2013

girl, take it easy
My axy was awful for trying to hoover anything and everything. He had to be in sand or he'd eat the gravel.

Sooo my tank has been established for about 4 months now. Until recently everything was going really well. It's about 45gal and was housing 7 rummynose, 2 gold rams, 2 blue rams, 3 baby bristlenose, 3 baby clown loaches I'm growing out and 4 cories. Heaps of plants.

Over the past couple weeks I've lost 4 rummies, 2 bristles, a cory and a clown :( My ph has dropped as low as the kit can test and its driving me insane! It only recently became a problem and I need a solution before I lose everyone! I'm not replacing anyone until I can get this under control (or ever if I've overstocked).

How do I fix it? I've been reading about crushed coral... ?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It can help if the cause of your ph crash is the carbonate hardness being eaten up. Test your water at the source and in tank. If the ph drop is only in the tank, and you can test kh and that is zero, that may be the issue. In that case, adding a carbonate source like shells or coral is your solution.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Aug 11, 2013

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Today during my water change I discovered that my single Cinnamon Loach is still alive. Its nine friends did about three years ago, and I only see the lone remaining one about once every 2-3 months. I'm always happy when it randomly comes out for food or because of a WC. I'm amazed that it's still alive, especially since my Bichir growouts could make a quick meal of it.

mindofme
May 19, 2003

Learn trispace and never have to think about math again!

daggerdragon posted:

That is an absolutely fabulous name for a betta :gay:

He's pretty fabulous - but not nearly as showy as his namesake. His current thing is to get in the smallest space he can find and stare - I worry sometimes that's he's going to get trapped and drown himself but anytime I try to rearrange the tank to prevent his fun he gets really upset and just "lays down" (fins barely touching the substrate).

Luckily he only spends a little while doing that and the rest of the time he's happily swimming and flaring at his reflection. But do you think he'll let me get a picture of that? Nope.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My cories filthied up the tank glass again! Eggs! Eggs everywhere! :argh:

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
See what a night of listening to Al Green will get you..

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

SynthOrange posted:

My cories filthied up the tank glass again! Eggs! Eggs everywhere! :argh:

I wish mine would. Instead my retarded angels keep being terrible parents.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

I finally got a nerite snail. It's been doing a great job cleaning my tank and it's so cute to see its little mouth moving while eating :3:. My anubia has sprouted another leaf, so yay! I haven't seen any new leaves on my two java ferns, but at least they are still green and haven't lost any leaves yet. I'm so excited, my fish have survived and my tank is looking pretty decent :neckbeard: now if the driftwood would just stop making the water look like iced tea...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Once java ferns acclimatize, you wont know what the hell to do with all the new buds and sprouts. I've got one that's been living in my tank for ages now and I swear its reproducing almost as fast as the duckweed. Every time I clean the prefilter its covered in baby java fern plants. Good thing its one of the pretty varieties (pictured below, not my tank) but I'm going to have to start selling or throwing them out. It's getting ridiculous.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Looks like Windelov java, great plant.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its crazy. Every leaf has about a dozen spore spots on the underside. When the leaf dies, each one turns into a new plant. Baby ferns all over the place.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Want to try a cool experiment? Pull off random leaves from the different plants in your tank and let them float on the top.. if the conditions are right you will see roots pop up and before you know it, random plant.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I know, right? I must be doing something right, because I'm getting all sorts of stuff growing by just floating there. Java ferns, water sprite, mosses. Even Java moss has made a reappearance after I ditched it a year ago, but a leaf must have hung around somewhere.

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...

All I can see is a bear face smiling and sticking its tongue out in that wood.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I can't unsee it. Especially that eye. It's uncanny

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Guess who's rocking a Fluval 106? This guy. :smug:

I just set it up and christ do I feel like a boss.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Aug 18, 2013

Fusillade
Mar 31, 2012

...and her

BIG FAT BASS

Eifert Posting posted:

Guess who's rocking a Fluval 106? This guy. :smug:

I just set it up and christ do I feel like a boss.

Fluval makes wonderful canister filters, I have two of their FX5s on my show tank. Did you get yours new? The packaging and engineering is really nice! They have installation DVDs, haha.

My own jaguar cichlid brood has shrunk considerably, either from them swimming into the mouths of otherwise nearly stationary tankmates, or wasting away from not learning to eat the foods I offered them. The current progeny are much larger, and you can see details like their horizontal stripe and orange eyes! :) Feeding them is still harrowing, since the parents always see the dropper coming, and they want a piece of my fingers! :black101: A squirt of fry food to their face usually confuses them long enough that I can escape unscathed.

Edit to add picture!!! :) They're actually starting to look like fish now. They're 1 cm long!

Fusillade fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 18, 2013

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It was a 106, they are about 400$ cheaper than yours so no DVD included.

My betta doesn't appreciate the extra current but the oto cats keep riding the output flow across the tank.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My betta will lurk in the back and in the plants to avoid the current when he can. Cant turn it down because the cories and loaches love it. He will charge headlong into the filter outflow when I'm dropping food into it though.

Fusillade
Mar 31, 2012

...and her

BIG FAT BASS

Eifert Posting posted:

It was a 106, they are about 400$ cheaper than yours so no DVD included.

My betta doesn't appreciate the extra current but the oto cats keep riding the output flow across the tank.

D'oh! I know that they used to include them with the 105s!!!

Edit: Looks like they aren't doing the DVD anymore with the 6 series. Ah well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOzrSfkO-LY

Fusillade fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 19, 2013

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

My betta will lurk in the back and in the plants to avoid the current when he can. Cant turn it down because the cories and loaches love it. He will charge headlong into the filter outflow when I'm dropping food into it though.

Yeah, mine spent the day hanging out in a broad leafed plant(don't recall the name) and looking grouchy.

I can't get over how quiet it is, I can't hear poo poo even putting my ear a foot away if there's any other background noise at all.

Zandorv
Nov 22, 2011

I'm having issues with my Betta and feeding. Over the past couple of weeks I found that whenever I feed him, he begins to bloat and pinecone. At first I thought it was dropsy, but when I fasted him, he went back down and acted like his old happy self again. When I started feeding him again, he started bloating and pineconing again and seemed to have some swim bladder issues. I fasted him again and now he's gone back down and is acting just fine. I have no idea what this could be. Are these normal signs of some kind of chronic constipation issue or something? Should I just change his food, or is there something more serious going on?

Edit: I forgot to mention that he is not just pineconing around his belly where the food should be if he's constipated; he starts pineconing everywhere on his body like with dropsy.

Zandorv fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

In my planted 20 long, I've got 4 green tiger barbs and a couple of otos. I assumed this would be an ideal setup for the tiger barbs, as it's heavily planted and they don't have any other species to fight with, but they have taken to just constantly hiding, refusing to move except at feeding time (When they get *very* active. Holy hell). While I'd love a little more activity in the tank, I'm ok with this behavior as long as it's not a sign of stress. My understanding of tiger barbs is that they should be tearing rear end around the tank, like my odessa barbs do in their 40 gallon. I have noticed, if this has any bearing on anything, that I've got two males and two females, and they seem to have paired up.