Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks the Darkest Hour mod recommendations, guys. Mixed Mod and and the new WWI mod look very interesting. I also found that utility to turn off ORG loss while moving, which is pretty huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Installing Europa Universalis IV like it ain't no thing.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
And here we go!

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Still no Install option. :smith:

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003
It's out for me! Installing now.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
They sure as hell managed to make the game a small download at least.

So psyched!

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
Missing executable? Thanks Johann. I buy the game and he doesn't even give me the executable. :soe: :dice:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Sooooo where's my converter?

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

It's a DLC part of Crusader Kings 2 that you access in-game, specifically in the menu.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Huh, it just takes me to a page to buy it. I preordered goddamit it should be free.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Hi, paradox!

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
So far it looks like the start I expected!

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
What causes prestige decay? My decay just starts slowly growing and the tooltip offers no help. How can I curb it?

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Raneman posted:

Missing executable? Thanks Johann. I buy the game and he doesn't even give me the executable. :soe: :dice:

Did you buy it through steam? If so follow the help steps with that link, that worked for me.
If I remember correctly it was to delete the "appcache" folder in your Steam folder (may not be the same place where you install Steam games), then restart your computer.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Oh, Paradox. :allears:

About a decade after this screenshot I realized I have very little idea how to play Europa Universalis. I tried my usual :black101: approach from Crusader Kings 2 and got flattened by Aragon. I bought EU4 because I like the concept of the game and was looking to scratch that Paradox itch. For all y'all who have been paying way more attention to the run-up to release and are playing, is EU4 similar enough to EU3 that Kersch's LP of 3 could be helpful for getting into the mindset/basic playstyle, or has enough changed that I should wait for the first few "complete schmuck's guides to EU4" to come out?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Wait. A lot seems to have changed.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

MP seems to be completely screwed up, Gorgo, Viscardus, and I got a game going but when rehosting only Gorgo could see it while Viscardus and ZearothK could not. The scroll bar for the mp lobby is broken (it keeps scrolling to the top of the list) and joining through Steam invite to/join game is broken. Sorting mp games by tag is a CTD. We could not connect via Tunngle either.

It worked well and was fun when we could actually play the game though.

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 13, 2013

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Wait. A lot seems to have changed.

No, don't wait, play through the tutorials and try to figure it out yourself honestly. Its going to be a while before one of those LPs are made.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

The Nozzle posted:

No, don't wait, play through the tutorials and try to figure it out yourself honestly. Its going to be a while before one of those LPs are made.

Nothing is more frustrating than trying to learn a new Paradox game without help.

I'd recommend finding someone who has figured out how to play EU4 and mentor under them until you've got the hang of it, if you can't figure it out yourself.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Rogue0071 posted:

MP seems to be completely screwed up, Gorgo, Viscardus, and I got a game going but when rehosting only Gorgo could see it while Viscardus and ZearothK could not. The scroll bar for the mp lobby is broken and joining through steam invites is broken. Sorting mp games by tag is a ctd. We could not connect via Tunngle either.

Sounds about right.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I dunno, the EU4 demo didn't seem all that different from EU3.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

I dunno, the EU4 demo didn't seem all that different from EU3.

It's not.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
So does trade have any effect on tech development now or is it the same linear poo poo as in EU3?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Trade powers your economy, which allows you to hire higher power advisers, which provide monarch points, which power tech.

But trade powered your tech directly in EU3, so I'm not entirely sure what you're asking.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I was asking if the exchange of ideas and technologies that occur during trading would be modelled

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
"First you get the money, then you get the power" - Grand Marshal of the Iroquois League, to a European trader, on why payment in specie was preferred over modern firearms.

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.

Enjoy posted:

"First you get the money, then you get the power" - Grand Marshal of the Iroquois League, to a European trader, on why payment in specie was preferred over modern firearms.

I see that worked so well for them. I prefer to get the power then take the money. Europa Universalis isn't like victoria where 100000 troops will lose to 10000 if you are out teched.

Also, does EU4 use the same combat system as CK2? I miss the old thing where you would see your armies lined up and magic combat thing happened, because you could at least tailor your army compositions based on what you saw.

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.
I know nobody else is playing EU3 anymore, but does anyone have any idea what I can do to get Portugal to agree to a white peace or better? I'm playing as Byzantium (in the middle of Westernization since the game won't give me a decent Admin ruler), and I've been at war with Portugal for seven years now. I have 20% war score on them, too, but the only peace they're willing to agree with is one where I concede defeat to them. Admittedly, they have the naval superiority (even without their ally England) to keep me from invading their home provinces. Most of their army is stranded in Austria, but when I get military access I can't actually engage them. I refuse to concede defeat to the bastards when I'm clearly winning.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

So, you have had some time. How is it? Buggy or not? Fun? We fence sitters demand reviews!

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.
Fun fact - EU IV allows you to declare war on a country for a claim on a province, even if that province is the enemy's capital and you aren't allowed to take it.
For example, as England, I saw I had a core on Lothian and DOW'd to take it from Scotland. Then France jumped in against me . . . only for me to realize I had to take other provinces for a higher war score and aggression penalty. D'oh!

I don't remember EU III letting me shoot myself in the foot in this particular way.

Note to self: check to see where the enemy's capital is before you start a war on the Continent over it.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Golden_Zucchini posted:

I know nobody else is playing EU3 anymore, but does anyone have any idea what I can do to get Portugal to agree to a white peace or better? I'm playing as Byzantium (in the middle of Westernization since the game won't give me a decent Admin ruler), and I've been at war with Portugal for seven years now. I have 20% war score on them, too, but the only peace they're willing to agree with is one where I concede defeat to them. Admittedly, they have the naval superiority (even without their ally England) to keep me from invading their home provinces. Most of their army is stranded in Austria, but when I get military access I can't actually engage them. I refuse to concede defeat to the bastards when I'm clearly winning.
Using spies to foment revolts / lower stability has a remote chance of making them (or at least England) more pliable... but more likely, if you can't get a decent warscore because you can't invade, just avoid any battle or siege progress whatsoever for 3 years and the game will force a white peace.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Diogines posted:

So, you have had some time. How is it? Buggy or not? Fun? We fence sitters demand reviews!
Fun and not buggy.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Enjoy posted:

I was asking if the exchange of ideas and technologies that occur during trading would be modelled

Ah. It appears not.

twig1919 posted:

I see that worked so well for them. I prefer to get the power then take the money. Europa Universalis isn't like victoria where 100000 troops will lose to 10000 if you are out teched.

It certainly can be the case, at least in EU3. Stacking discipline allowed you to get away with some crazy poo poo. A late game Prussian army with that Prussian decision and max-quality could shred through a force much larger than it, even European armies. I was routinely beating forces four times my size in Europe. It was downright sad when I took the army to China.

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.

NihilCredo posted:

Using spies to foment revolts / lower stability has a remote chance of making them (or at least England) more pliable... but more likely, if you can't get a decent warscore because you can't invade, just avoid any battle or siege progress whatsoever for 3 years and the game will force a white peace.

But if I do that they just come in and siege some of my provinces. Hell, at this point I'll probably just forget this one and try something else. It's 1570 and the Pentarchy's been restored for 10 years now. Aside from finishing westernization the only other thing I had in mind was vassalizing various HRE states until I became Emperor and then reforming the Roman Empire. I would have been fully westernized 50 years ago if not for two 7+ admin heirs dying by event 20 years into the monarch-at-the-time's reign. Maybe I'll try Teutonic Order->Prussia->Germany while I wait for EUIV to go on sale since I'm cheap.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

Fun fact - EU IV allows you to declare war on a country for a claim on a province, even if that province is the enemy's capital and you aren't allowed to take it.
For example, as England, I saw I had a core on Lothian and DOW'd to take it from Scotland. Then France jumped in against me . . . only for me to realize I had to take other provinces for a higher war score and aggression penalty. D'oh!

I don't remember EU III letting me shoot myself in the foot in this particular way.

Note to self: check to see where the enemy's capital is before you start a war on the Continent over it.
Aren't you supposed to be able to do that, if you get 100% war score?

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Achievements broken? I screwed around for ten years as Byzantium until I committed suicide by attacking the Ottomans, right now I'm having a fun game as Portugal, learning how everything works. It's complex, but more CK2, figure it out and have fun complex than Hearts of Iron, gently caress you for buying this game complex.

Keep posting those crazy mods guys, It's the best part of this thread.

Ghetto Prince fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 13, 2013

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Ghetto Prince posted:

Achievements broken? I screwed around for ten years as Byzantium until I committed suicide by attacking the Ottomans, right now I'm having a fun game as Portugal, learning how everything works. It's complex, but more CK2, figure it out and have fun complex than Hearts of Iron, gently caress you for buying this game complex.

Keep posting those crazy mods guys, It's the best part of this thread.

Someone earlier said achievements only work in ironman mode.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

e: Wrong Paradox thread.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 13, 2013

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Aren't you supposed to be able to do that, if you get 100% war score?

No. In EU3 you couldn't take a capital unless it was either a full annex, or the capital was isolated from all other provinces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
I noticed during the demo that I could forge claims on a capital sometimes, but not always. Perhaps it depends on the target's stability?

• Locked thread