Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
That last fuckin' page...

Edit: GOD DAMMIT

Nyyen fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mcqueen posted:

Why does this forum do this some times?

We all get real rowdy when we aren't out riding.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Mcqueen posted:

Why does this forum do this some times?

The level of butt frustration is unreal when either an IRC regular says something a forum regular doesn't like or vice versa. It's not always along the line between those two groups, but it's close.

edit: Oh god I'm making GBS threads up the thread; here's a picture of a Honda Spree I got for free today. A Honda Free, if you will.

It needs a new engine and tires and battery and it has no title .

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 12, 2013

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Next time lets do a west side story thing.

Anyway, this is the perfect solution for those who reinstall carbs by throwing them at the bike. Really, who is that crazy reinstalling carbs that you need to take those measures?

AncientTV posted:

That's gonna be one expensive free spree

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 12, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

AncientTV posted:

The level of butt frustration is unreal when either an IRC regular says something a forum regular doesn't like or vice versa. It's not always along the line between those two groups, but it's close.

edit: Oh god I'm making GBS threads up the thread; here's a picture of a Honda Spree I got for free today. A Honda Free, if you will.

It's pretty much always Silly-Balls getting furious for some reason and making GBS threads up threads. I'm not sure what IRC has to do with anything. Jimbo if you want to come chat in IRC you're more than welcome. I think it's a much better forum for your style of posting and communication.

I just saw this guy on reddit:

Mirrored visor? Cool. +50 points. Short sleeve AT&T tee shirt? -100 points.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

It's pretty much always Silly-Balls getting furious for some reason and making GBS threads up threads. I'm not sure what IRC has to do with anything. Jimbo if you want to come chat in IRC you're more than welcome. I think it's a much better forum for your style of posting and communication.

I just saw this guy on reddit:

Mirrored visor? Cool. +50 points. Short sleeve AT&T tee shirt? -100 points.

the POWER and the GLORY of telecommunications middle-management.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2RTRk2shM4

I suddenly want a early 90s gsx with a high vis yellow paint job

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

ADINSX posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2RTRk2shM4

I suddenly want a early 90s gsx with a high vis yellow paint job

Vanilla Ice had the best taste in cars (drop top 5.0) bikes and hair cuts, no irony.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Slavvy posted:

the POWER and the GLORY of telecommunications middle-management.

Middle management? More like taken outside the AT&T store after his shift.

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006

This redeems the last page.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Honestly in surprised no one thought if the idea before now. I mean its so obvious once you see it, an all green bike called "ninja".

It's hilarious either way

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

HNasty posted:

Vanilla Ice had the best taste in cars (drop top 5.0) bikes and hair cuts, no irony.

I actually came across this when reading some article about how cool hipster motorcycles were and the guy claimed "well its not like anyone has any nostalgia for early 90s bikes"

and I'm like uhhhhh

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Retarded Pimp posted:

That happens once in a while, I took out a goldfinch yesterday on the EX. Poor guy tried pulling a fast high G turn when he saw me, but there wasn't enough time for either of us to do much.

A buzzard drat near took my head off near Brady, TX.

buzzard: [lands on shoulder]
in my head: don't take off don't take off don't take off don't take off
buzzard: [takes off across the road when I am about 100 ft away]
me: [ducks] [swerves] [shits pants]

When I looked in my rear view, I watched my wife swerve to the shoulder and back. Those are big, stupid birds; no wonder there are so many dead on Texas highways.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wow, a small bird is like being hit with a hardball. A buzzard would knock you right off the bike.

Also when I first read that my brain decided that the buzzard landed on your shoulder, which was way crazier.

clutchpuck posted:

When I looked in my rear view, I watched my wife swerve to the shoulder and back. Those are big, stupid birds; no wonder there are so many dead on Texas highways.

Skydeer.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

ADINSX posted:

I actually came across this when reading some article about how cool hipster motorcycles were and the guy claimed "well its not like anyone has any nostalgia for early 90s bikes"

and I'm like uhhhhh

Yeah
Honda 900RR, 929, RC45, Ducati 748, 916, Suzuki SRAD bumble bee colors scheme and the TLS. Sorry if you don't like 90's bikes you're a dope.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Which TL was the one with the rotary suspension or rotary damper? Was it really as bad as the internet makes it seem? People on the internet make it seem like it will just fall over at 100mph at the slightest provocation.

I've always thought TL's were cool bikes, and what the SV should have been going forward.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Which TL was the one with the rotary suspension or rotary damper? Was it really as bad as the internet makes it seem? People on the internet make it seem like it will just fall over at 100mph at the slightest provocation.

I've always thought TL's were cool bikes, and what the SV should have been going forward.

I think it was the R. It was know as The Widowmaker even when it was fresh. It probably didn't kill that many people, but it scared enough people shitless that the legend was born.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

HNasty posted:

Yeah
Honda 900RR, 929, RC45, Ducati 748, 916, Suzuki SRAD bumble bee colors scheme and the TLS. Sorry if you don't like 90's bikes you're a dope.

I've been lusting pretty hard over 90s era super sports for the past several weeks. If I had a garage I might have one right now...

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

A buzzard drat near took my head off near Brady, TX.

buzzard: [lands on shoulder]
in my head: don't take off don't take off don't take off don't take off
buzzard: [takes off across the road when I am about 100 ft away]
me: [ducks] [swerves] [shits pants]

At least the buzzard didn't poo poo or puke, that's their defense mechanism and it's nasty as hell.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Linedance posted:

I think it was the R. It was know as The Widowmaker even when it was fresh. It probably didn't kill that many people, but it scared enough people shitless that the legend was born.

It was the S (the R still had the rotary damper but in different configuration that avoided the problems).

The rotary damper could seize under some conditions, which was basically insta-highside, but that was incredibly rare. Basically it was a poorly-handling bike from the start - top-heavy, rear-biased, twitchy on the power (not helped by the shock being set up very poorly from the factory, which is probably what caused a lot of the legends about it) with really nasty (EFI) power delivery, especially compared to the carbed litrebikes of the time, but it was easier to just blame this one novel component than for anyone - buyers and dealers alike - to admit the bike was just a dog to start with

(The S easily outsold the much sweeter-handling VT1000, despite the R being destroyed by the RC51 on the track and in sales, so the widowmaker reputation probably helped rather than hurt it)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The R was actually criticised for having really floppy suspension with a very short wheelbase; there are a few going around in my area which have the rotary shock replaced by a conventional ohlins unit specifically designed for the job.
Also I find it hilarious how USD forks weren't in the budget on the first two fireblade models so they faked them instead.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

The R was actually criticised for having really floppy suspension with a very short wheelbase; there are a few going around in my area which have the rotary shock replaced by a conventional ohlins unit specifically designed for the job.

Also I find it hilarious how USD forks weren't in the budget on the first two fireblade models so they faked them instead.

Those modded units handle even worse than the rotary ones, because they shorten the effective swingarm travel (and the short swingarm was yet another thing that murdered the handling), plus with so little travel and at such a high mechanical advantage they're wooden as gently caress, which was the whole reason to go for the rotary in the first place.

If it had been a little bit less poo poo, it would have faded away into obscurity like the R did, but being known as The Most Dangerous Bike On The Road seems to have helped, not hurt, the rep.

(It's not even a particularly good-looking bike IMO - turn-of-the-century Suzukis all had this jelly mould curves thing going on, which was a 90s thing I know, but Suzuki really took it further than everyone else - then the R1 came along looking all pointy and poo poo and BAM, into the dustbin of history along with external cell phone aerials and high-waisted jeans it goes)

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdx-WggtsYg

Was on the Tail of the Dragon with my buddies for our annual meet and the throttle locked up on my XR1200X. The wreck happened last Wednesday morning.
The bike slid off the edge, but I was launched over. I got SOOOO lucky not to hit any trees and the almost constant rain over the last few weeks meant the ground was nice and soft. I walked away with some strained muscles, soreness and a few bruises.
The bike had a broken shifter, forks twisted in the trees, busted handlebars, busted headlight and front turn signal. With some help, I got it fixed and was riding by noon the following day, so I could continue riding through the weekend!

Apparently I managed to hit the throttle lock thingie every time I twisted the throttle that morning. What confused me was this: Wouldn't the throttle become increasingly more unresponsive? It doesn't seem likely that it would lock up all at once, but I will be damned if it didn't do just that. I couldn't get it to back off.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Those modded units handle even worse than the rotary ones, because they shorten the effective swingarm travel (and the short swingarm was yet another thing that murdered the handling), plus with so little travel and at such a high mechanical advantage they're wooden as gently caress, which was the whole reason to go for the rotary in the first place.

Wait, are you saying there's a bike that's actually helped by having an extended swingarm? :psyduck:

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

DILLIGAF posted:

Was on the Tail of the Dragon with my buddies for our annual meet and the throttle locked up on my XR1200X. The wreck happened last Wednesday morning.
The bike slid off the edge, but I was launched over. I got SOOOO lucky not to hit any trees and the almost constant rain over the last few weeks meant the ground was nice and soft. I walked away with some strained muscles, soreness and a few bruises.
The bike had a broken shifter, forks twisted in the trees, busted handlebars, busted headlight and front turn signal. With some help, I got it fixed and was riding by noon the following day, so I could continue riding through the weekend!

Apparently I managed to hit the throttle lock thingie every time I twisted the throttle that morning. What confused me was this: Wouldn't the throttle become increasingly more unresponsive? It doesn't seem likely that it would lock up all at once, but I will be damned if it didn't do just that. I couldn't get it to back off.

Oh, so that's why my dad said he thought throttle locks were dangerous. I thought it was riding no-handed at 80 mph or something.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

KARMA! posted:

Wait, are you saying there's a bike that's actually helped by having an extended swingarm? :psyduck:

I know this is a Gixxerbro reference but I can't stop myself. All bikes are helped by a longer swingarm - the longer the swingarm, the more power is used moving the bike forwards, not upwards, and the easier it is to set up the suspension. Of course that also lengthens the wheelbase and increases the unsprung weight, both of which hurt handling, so normally the tradeoff is to move the swingarm mount as far forward as possible.

To borrow HNasty's pic, because gently caress me the RVF is a sexy, sexy bike, compare this:

with this:

See how much longer the swingarm is? The R1 was the first (road) bike to really look at this (bike suspension is in the stone age compared to cars), hence the at-the-time odd placement of its gearbox above, instead of behind, the crank.

Drag bikes have longer swingarms still because who needs to worry about corners, which is where the "baseball caps are too protective equipment" crowd come in, but believe it or not the bro fraternity have been way out-extended by hillclimbers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJXqkbDrhHY

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I know this is a Gixxerbro reference but I can't stop myself. All bikes are helped by a longer swingarm - the longer the swingarm, the more power is used moving the bike forwards, not upwards, and the easier it is to set up the suspension. Of course that also lengthens the wheelbase and increases the unsprung weight, both of which hurt handling, so normally the tradeoff is to move the swingarm mount as far forward as possible.

To borrow HNasty's pic, because gently caress me the RVF is a sexy, sexy bike, compare this:

with this:

See how much longer the swingarm is? The R1 was the first (road) bike to really look at this (bike suspension is in the stone age compared to cars), hence the at-the-time odd placement of its gearbox above, instead of behind, the crank.

Drag bikes have longer swingarms still because who needs to worry about corners, which is where the "baseball caps are too protective equipment" crowd come in, but believe it or not the bro fraternity have been way out-extended by hillclimbers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJXqkbDrhHY

The drunk people falling down the hill is the best. Makes me wish I woulda went to the local supercross Saturday night.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Speaking of :krad: this guy started showing up at my office a few days ago:

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Once, I yelled out to a group of kids on BMX bikes to do a trick. This is what one of them did.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

DILLIGAF posted:

You sure you didn't just run wide there?

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

A throttle lock should NEVER lock a throttle so hard that it can't be rotated forward. That's insane. :psypop:

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

nsaP posted:

You sure you didn't just run wide there?

Did you watch the video?

Yes, I did run wide because, frankly, I panicked and was focused on the stuck throttle and not where I was going. In the slo-mo segment you can see me trying to retard the throttle and later you can hear the bike's motor bouncing off the rev limiter when there was no load on the wheels (when the bike was on its side) so.... it was not just my imagination.

Had I been more on the ball and dropped it further into the turn, ignoring the stuck throttle, I would have hit the rock wall on the other side of the turn instead. Not sure that would have been a better outcome.

I was very grateful that the camera popped off the harness (and landed up top, not down the ravine) when my chest hit the handlebars as I went over. Now at least I know what went wrong, where *I* went wrong, instead of having to wonder.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Was it one of these locks?

Those sort of scare me, it seems entirely too possible to accidentally torque that screw down way too much with your thumb.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

DILLIGAF posted:

Did you watch the video?

Yes, I did run wide because, frankly, I panicked and was focused on the stuck throttle and not where I was going. In the slo-mo segment you can see me trying to retard the throttle and later you can hear the bike's motor bouncing off the rev limiter when there was no load on the wheels (when the bike was on its side) so.... it was not just my imagination.

Had I been more on the ball and dropped it further into the turn, ignoring the stuck throttle, I would have hit the rock wall on the other side of the turn instead. Not sure that would have been a better outcome.

I was very grateful that the camera popped off the harness (and landed up top, not down the ravine) when my chest hit the handlebars as I went over. Now at least I know what went wrong, where *I* went wrong, instead of having to wonder.

Riding a Harley I'm surprised you didn't just LAYERDAN. :v:

Seriously though, that's loving scary and I'm glad you're okay. Any chance of getting Harley to pay for the damage/emotional trauma?

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Pretty sure people buy Harleys for the financial, physical, and emotional trauma of the whole ownership experience. It makes them stronger, together.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

DILLIGAF posted:

Did you watch the video?

Alternatively, you could have pulled in the clutch and hit the brakes and continued on your day? The bike revving after you crashed means nothing, I've heard that happen in a lot of crash videos where the throttle wasn't to blame. I've not heard of a throttle lock that you couldn't roll off manually, if your bike has that then that was a silly design.

It just didn't really seem to me, listening to the motor noise and seeing your hand, that the throttle was the problem. Looked like you flipped and went wide. Even if it had locked you had some other options.

Seems like you got a freebie out of a gnarly crash tho dude, congrats.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

clutchpuck posted:

Was it one of these locks?

Those sort of scare me, it seems entirely too possible to accidentally torque that screw down way too much with your thumb.

Yep. That's the one!

Never actually used it intentionally and I don't recall if I remember even seeing it on there, though I suppose I knew since my other Sportsters have had them. Just didn't think about it either way.

Both bikes will have a lock-ectomy this week, I guaran-drat-tee that!

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

ought ten posted:

Riding a Harley I'm surprised you didn't just LAYERDAN. :v:

Seriously though, that's loving scary and I'm glad you're okay. Any chance of getting Harley to pay for the damage/emotional trauma?

Meh. My fuckup, my bills. Never believed in suing to make stuff stupid-proof... we just become bigger idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

DILLIGAF posted:

Never actually used it intentionally

What really gets me about them is they're not easy to use at all. The Vista Cruise is way better - it's easy to use and will easily disengage if you force the throttle closed.

Off-topic - do we like quads here?

http://www.gibbssports.com/

For $46k, this thing better eject Busch Light cans automatically.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 13, 2013